If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn - RPGamer Community

Comments

• MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited November 2013
    I really feel dirty doing the quest, but still want to. It's supposed to be back for the NA release of Lightning Returns, too.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited November 2013
    Macstorm wrote: »
    I really feel dirty doing the quest, but still want to. It's supposed to be back for the NA release of Lightning Returns, too.
    The best one is the finale. Starting FATE leading to a 2nd FATE that has a fight with Chaos Bahamut. Too bad it's open world, would have loved a party instance just for this.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2013
    GAME FINISHED!

My free trial ends some mysterious time Sunday. If football is slow I might log back in, but I got all my objectives done: main story complete, obtained my relic, and completed the goldsmith and weaver level 50 guild quests to see those plotlines end.

Dumped shards, ingots, and leftover weaver supplies in the FC chest. Lots of snurble fluff and nanolin(sp?) in there, but I used almost all the fleece I had. Mailed the leftover goldsmith supplies to the free company member heading to level 50. Couldn't put gil in the chest so I spread that between the people who played with me every day for the last month. DONE!

ff14.jpg

I'm the happy one. ChickenGod is too sexy to smile.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited November 2013
    of Gibetto, I can say only this... of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most... Short.
  • kazrikokazriko Member Full Members
    edited November 2013
    Macstorm wrote: »

Maybe by then I'll be high enough to participate.
    edited December 2013
    Patch 2.1 trailer:
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited December 2013
    The trailer certainly makes a lot of the new content look really interesting. In particular, I think those who have just now hit 50 or are about to will find quite a bit to love here, especially with all the "just hit 50!" content to explore.

As for myself, I'm only really looking forward to the extreme mode Primals/
    Ultimate Weapon
    and the Aesthetician. The Titan one in particular looks riveting and I'm sure it will probably drive much of the community insane. If all you get out of the Aesthetician is shared and or differing hairstyles per race I'll be happy, but if you can actually start dying your high level gear or get vanity slots out of it, then I'll be thrilled. Personally I'm just not sold on housing or PvP, though maybe that'll change in the future.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited December 2013
    Indeed. And it's coming at a time that I might be able to finally get back around to playing!
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited December 2013
    Just saw the trailer. My body is ready, for all dat new content!
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2013
    It is certainly a nice time for me to hitting level 50. Speaking of which...

Over the last few days I've hit Level 50 in White Mage, Botanist, Culinarian, Carpenter, Leatherworker, and Weaver. The major goal driving me for most of the game is actually completed! I've never really reached an MMO endgame before, so this is new territory for me. Yet, even after all of that, I still want to level up a few more combat classes...
    edited December 2013
    full patch notes up : http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/03843d6bf7ba69adc37d7955ff7af43f3c43828a

You can actually tell when the poor intern who had to type that's brain begins to die.

Also, considering my Leviathan character is a Warrior and my Excalibur character is a Dragoon, I'm pretty happy with the class changes. I think Summoners got hit the worst, but I'm no expert in these things.
    edited December 2013
    All those puns...too many to list. The new stuff they added just sounds amazing. The patch notes, I'm seeing some things that make me go "BOOOOOOO!", while other things are sounding like some amazing changes. The change to Rain of Death officially made the AoE far less useful to me. Also, they basically killed Shadowbind's use, and the cross-classing of Thunder. There goes my DoT combo of Thunder -> Aero as a WHM. T_T
    edited December 2013
    Yeah, that was the problem for Thunder. It was just too useful, and it gave a DoT to two classes that already had several DoTs. That turns into just too many DoTs. As White Mage leveling Arcanist, I'm honestly kinda glad we get to replace that one. Blizzard II is a more interesting replacement anyways. However, I will miss Holy's high damage output, even if they are making Cure III notably better to make up for it. That spell was just too expensive and short-ranged in 2.0.

I'm looking forward to all the small enhancements, too. But still, it needs to be said... HOW much gil do we need for a house?!?! The downsides of playing on a popular server... I guess we need ti delay the "where will Res Arcana put our FC house" discussion until we resolve the "how are we going to pay for it" problem. :)
    edited December 2013
    Gotta get in deep with the Gil seller loan sharks.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited December 2013
    I'm looking forward to all the small enhancements, too. But still, it needs to be said... HOW much gil do we need for a house?!?! The downsides of playing on a popular server... I guess we need ti delay the "where will Res Arcana put our FC house" discussion until we resolve the "how are we going to pay for it" problem. :)

Looked up the pricing for housing, and golly gee thats just absurd. 6.4 mil for the cheapest and 100mil for the most expensive is just outrageous. I've worked fairly hard for my gil and still end up just shy of being able to afford the least expensive one. The economy really doesn't seem to support those prices unless dungeon gil generation is being increased even more. With people looking to penny pinch, the drop in Tomes of Philosophy value, food value, and levequest turn ins losing their value due to more and more people hitting 50, I just don't see how these prices can stand. Who would even want to donate their hard earned gil to an FC house that they cannot even design themselves? What if you and your allies work together tirelessly for untold hours to achieve the most expensive plot of land, and then they decide that they don't like you anymore, or the FC leader decides to up and quit or disappear? What if RMTs buy up and resell most of the land before other legitimate players can? Seems rife for disaster, to me.

Personally I always felt that housing would be underwhelming, but I had no idea the concept would initially be this restrictive and undesirable until I looked it up for myself.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited December 2013
    ChickenGod wrote: »
    Looked up the pricing for housing, and golly gee thats just absurd. 6.4 mil for the cheapest and 100mil for the most expensive is just outrageous. I've worked fairly hard for my gil and still end up just shy of being able to afford the least expensive one. The economy really doesn't seem to support those prices unless dungeon gil generation is being increased even more. With people looking to penny pinch, the drop in Tomes of Philosophy value, food value, and levequest turn ins losing their value due to more and more people hitting 50, I just don't see how these prices can stand. Who would even want to donate their hard earned gil to an FC house that they cannot even design themselves? What if you and your allies work together tirelessly for untold hours to achieve the most expensive plot of land, and then they decide that they don't like you anymore, or the FC leader decides to up and quit or disappear? What if RMTs buy up and resell most of the land before other legitimate players can? Seems rife for disaster, to me.

Personally I always felt that housing would be underwhelming, but I had no idea the concept would initially be this restrictive and undesirable until I looked it up for myself.

Well the price makes sense when you take the information that currently it's COMPANY housing and not Individual housing
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    edited December 2013
    Oh man...they nerfed Bard really hard this patch. It's confirmed by some friends currently ingame (I'm still waiting on the patch download) that they stealth nerfed the potency of several Bard abilities in addition to the mentioned changes. Our DPS just took a massive hit with this. I may be seeking a different main job after this, I feel like I'm going to be gimping the party now just by being a Bard.
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2013
    I do feel a lot less damagey :(
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    edited December 2013
    We still like you Bards for your Mana Songs!
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited December 2013
    I see how easy are people to troll on youtube... Well this game seems to be far more enjoyable than WKC2 at least so I can see why many people that started FFXIV are staying there. I find it curious that PSO2 is also being updated now almost at the same time. Is this coincidence?
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • RockkoRockko Member Full Members
    edited December 2013
    Gave in and started playing this a few days ago. Being an old WOW veteran and retired from the days of leading 40-man raids, I'm looking for something a little more "casual" now. I'm having to play on the PS3 for the time being, and the transition to a controller has been challenging to say the least. So I'm leveling an archer right now as the class seems good for soloing. I'd rather be playing a healer, but couldn't imagine doing so with a controller. Anyway, I'm enjoying the game so far and looking forward to having it set up on a PC someday...
    edited December 2013
    Okay, I'm officially in fanboy mode atm. I completed the Hildebrand questline, and it led to me seeing this.

ffxiv_12192013_200342_zpsd83ab40e.png?t=1387502050

He's not actually in the game just yet, but things are pointing to him being in the next expansion of the Hildebrand questline.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited December 2013
    Rockko wrote: »
    Gave in and started playing this a few days ago. Being an old WOW veteran and retired from the days of leading 40-man raids, I'm looking for something a little more "casual" now. I'm having to play on the PS3 for the time being, and the transition to a controller has been challenging to say the least. So I'm leveling an archer right now as the class seems good for soloing. I'd rather be playing a healer, but couldn't imagine doing so with a controller. Anyway, I'm enjoying the game so far and looking forward to having it set up on a PC someday...

I'll tell ya that WoW has become a lot more casual friendly since the original release of the game. Also playing a healer with the controller isn't that bad. Eira's been doing it for most of her time playing.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    edited December 2013
    I've recently been neglecting poor Kaye in favour of my excalibur alt, I assure you all there's a perfectly good rea-

9u0SKMC.jpg?1

I'M TOO SEXY FOR MY AF
    TOO SEXY FOR MY AF
    TOO SEXY BY HALF
    edited December 2013
    I'd rather be playing a healer, but couldn't imagine doing so with a controller. Anyway, I'm enjoying the game so far and looking forward to having it set up on a PC someday...
    As a PS3 player myself, I think healing is the easiest role to play with a PS3 controller. It is somewhat easier to target party members with the D-Pad than it is to target the exact enemy you want, and the way PS3 targeting locks on to a particular character is great for focusing heals on the tank. If you like healing, I'd say you should give it a shot before jumping to conclusions.

Of course, I'm the type who prefers controllers to the mouse and keyboard controls for pretty much everything, so I'm not sure if my feelings apply to someone who feels the opposite.
    edited December 2013
    Oh okay, many thanks for the advice. I just put a LOT of time raid healing in WOW so I'm looking at things from that perspective. I actually like using a controller, it's just a little daunting in an MMO after using a mouse for so long. I wanted to see the other starting areas anyway so I may roll a conjurer next and try it out...
  • kazrikokazriko Member Full Members
    edited December 2013
    Oh okay, many thanks for the advice. I just put a LOT of time raid healing in WOW so I'm looking at things from that perspective. I actually like using a controller, it's just a little daunting in an MMO after using a mouse for so long. I wanted to see the other starting areas anyway so I may roll a conjurer next and try it out...

I've played Tanking and Healing classes with controllers, and the healing classes are by far the easiest to play that way. tanking requires too much targeting other enemies and targeting non-party members is the toughest thing to get right with the controller.

I rolled my character on Leviathan to play entirely as a tank, but I may shift more over to healing on it like I am on my other two characters.
    edited December 2013
    Oh yeah, I forgot that the conjurer's guild is right there in Gradania, so I can just walk over there with my ARC and try it out.
    edited December 2013
    Oh yeah, I forgot that the conjurer's guild is right there in Gradania, so I can just walk over there with my ARC and try it out.
    Conjurer is pretty good at healing, and once you hit level 15, you can level up the rest of the way using nothing but dungeons, since the wait time for healers isn't that long. Just make sure to keep going back to the guild to get more skills. At level 30, you finish the guild and can go to an advanced class, but ONLY if you have the other prerequisite class at level 15. For ARC's advanced, you need level 15 Pugilist. For Conjurer's upgrade White Mage, you need level 15 Arcanist. Just remember this for the future.

Also some abilities are amazing for other classes. For example, Thaumaturge's Swiftcast (gained at level 26) is an amazing cross-class ability for all spell casters, it allows an instant cast of ANY spell. Best saved for those emergency times when you need to Revive somebody or Summon something ASAP.
    edited December 2013
    Yep, I don't have to be sold on the importance of that. I had "Nature's Swiftness" macro'ed to effing everything as a Shaman back in my WoW days.