If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Underclocking a PC?

xocolatlxocolatl MemberFull Members
edited October 2013 in Miscellaneous
I have a 700W quasi-gaming PC. I do like to leave it on overnight playing old podcasts, my favorite Disney's playlist, etc. But it feels like a waste of power. Is there an easy, sleek way to disable the graphics card, lower CPU clock speed, etc, until I restart the PC again in the morning? Will it save power, or will the fact that I have a larger power supply still drain unnecessary power all the time?

Comments

• smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited October 2013
    Someone else can correct me if I am wrong, but just because your PSU is rated for 700W doesn't mean it is continuously drawing that much power. It just means it is capable of drawing that much power if it needs to. Your PC is drawing just enough power to power all the components being used.

If you still want to look into lowering the power consumption, I'd start by looking in the windows power management options. I assume most desktop users don't bother with this, since its more of a laptop issue, but you might be able to tweak some settings there.

I don't know if you can "underclock" your CPU, but if you can change the settings in the BIOS (which would require a reboot every time you want to change this), you can at least set it at 1.0x.

And if it comes down to it, if your worried about power consumption, your better off just shutting down when you aren't using it.
  • xocolatlxocolatl Member Full Members
    edited October 2013
    You would be correct, it doesn't have to draw the full 700W. But my PC didn't start up on my old 550W, so I'm assuming that at least as long as the gfx card is going, it is drawing that amount minimum. That's a lot of wasted power when I'm just using the PC as a radio (maybe I should just switch over to playing them on my phone at night instead? Is there an easy way to wirelessly transfer files to WP8 phones?) Still, it would be good to know how to turn it off, as I really don't get to play game as often as I did before.

Thanks for the answer. I'll look around to see what kind of things I can do within the Power Options.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited October 2013
    Are you running any software in the background like BOINC or bitcoin mining that could be utilizing your GPU for processing? If so, that might be causing a bigger power draw as well.
  • ironmageironmage chaotic neutral observer SaskatoonFull Members
    edited October 2013
    xocolatl wrote: »
    You would be correct, it doesn't have to draw the full 700W. But my PC didn't start up on my old 550W, so I'm assuming that at least as long as the gfx card is going, it is drawing that amount minimum.

Not necessarily. The initial current draw on startup can be quite a bit higher than when the computer is running, and as a power supply ages, it sometimes doesn't handle startup transients as well. I've had two or three power supplies fail like that; they were fine while they were running (for months on end), but after being powered down, they weren't able to start the computers up again.

The only reliable way to determine power usage is with a power meter.
    Only the livin' have the privilege of sayin' they'll fight ta the last breath.
    And words like conviction and resolve don't mean much to a dead man...
    --Raven (Tales of Vesperia)
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited October 2013
    Is your PSU 80+ certified? What level? By Big do you mean like those server Power supplies? Also what Motherboard and CPU you're using?
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • xocolatlxocolatl Member Full Members
    edited October 2013
    I'm not running any background task that uses the GPU as far as I know. I only have a few games and Office, and I run torrent every now and then, and video player. That should be about it.

I'm using a pretty run of a mill setup. Don't quite remember the make, but it's a typical ASUS mobo with core i5-3570. The video card itself is pretty old, but that is probably why it is more power hungry than it need to be (NVidea GeForce GTX 275). I do believe it is 80+ qualified, but I'm not sure. I know I didn't get a generic one, and I did look for some form of efficiency rating, so I'm pretty sure it met the standard. Overall though, I'm just looking to save some electricity if possible.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited October 2013
    Modern GPUs turn off all their 3D-graphics related parts when not running 3D graphics. I think even in Win7 Aero. The 2D accelerator portion uses little power and is active all the time.

In this article, the system idle power was measured at 111W. Your PC is playing music, so its power consumption will be a bit higher, but it's probably around this mark. In 9hrs, your PC will have used 1kWh (~$0.12) or 30kWh (~$3.60) for night operation for the whole month. An average residential electricity customer uses 11,280 kWh per month. 30kWh is worth worrying about.

You could use a music player instead of a PC (shutting down your PC when not in use). This would result in significant power savings. However, you'd need to buy a music player (if you don't already have one), and the purchase could outweigh any power savings.
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited October 2013
    Ok Go to the BIOS and search from frequency/ Voltage setting somewhere in the BIOS. You need to lower it in sync with the voltage. Lower them once at a time and test it until it become unstable. I guess that .92 is as slow as you can get on voltage. BTW you CPU don't have the K on it so it may be locked, good luck!

80+ Power Supply usually have a stamp on them like these:

http://www.sadung.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/80plus-org.jpg
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.