If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The Pokemon trainer's club (6th gen edition)

lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accidentHalifaxRPGamer Staff
edited February 2015 in Role Playing Games
Hi! Guess what's out and who's playing it! That's right Pokefans, it's Pokemon X and Y. I'm sure people have been digging in and are enjoying themselves, so let's gather here to discuss.

Please mark spoilers and such. And let us know which Pokemon you're choosing and how your battles go!

As for me, journey starts now and I'm thinking Froakie. Everything after that is a mystery!
lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
this is my twitter! come twit with me

Comments

• PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2013
    I picked up X and Chris has Y. Sitting in front of the first gym. Took Fennekin
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited October 2013
    I got X, just because I feel it's time Charizard got his dragon form. Just exploring the first town right now before heading off to see the Professor.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    edited October 2013
    small update: Got Froakie, catching all the Pokemon around me in this forest. Also, everyone add everyone to friends on the 3DS and stay connected to the internet. You can even voice chat with your friends and it sounds actually pretty decent. Not to mention trades and such. So, even though there are other places, throw down your friend code for Pokemon funs!

FC: 0817-4056-9404

A few small things I've noticed while playing: Gaining full experience with the Pokemon when switching it out is awesome. Gaining experience when catching Pokemon is awesome. The 3D effect on this game is probably the best example of how it can make a game look good. Pikachu seems to be the only one who says its own name as a cry.
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    edited October 2013
    Added you.

FC: 4957-2957-9381

Just got Froakie, who I've nicknamed Jiraiya, since his final form is a ninja toad/frog.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited October 2013
    4511.0623.6846 (I've added whoops and Darky)

I'm past the first gym. Caught my first Faerie type!
    edited October 2013
    Added you both. I'll be playing a lot, so you'll see me on. :D

I'm making some hard choices after meeting the professor and having my bird evolve. 3 fire types on my team is too many! Decided to go with the new and box the old, as much as it pains me. I've caught at least one of everything I've fought in the wild and I love the new experience share key item.

I'm not sure of what version has what, but I'm playing Y so if you need any particular Pokemon, let me know and I'll keep my eyes out. Also when I can I'll be breeding Charmanders and Froakies and will be giving them out to anyone who wants them.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2013
    OK, time to remind the solitary nerd, but how do I find out my friend code? I hardly ever use it >_>
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited October 2013
    3DS Friends list -> highlight your card and it's at the bottom
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Madison, WIAdministrators
    edited October 2013
    Starting out with Froakie. Please add my friend code:

1805-2180-4447
    179811.png
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    edited October 2013
    I am restarting having made it to Route 5. I was getting a feel for the game, and now I think I'll be able to more efficiently form the team I want to use. Anyway, my starter is Fennekin, regardless.

FC: 0748-2399-5729
    ClixPsi.png
    edited October 2013
    Saved right after choosing the gen 1 starter, which was Bulbasaur. Don't worry about the choice too much, apparently you can get the others later in the game.

Current lineup is: Frogadier, Bulbasaur, Combusken, Litleo, Pikachu, and Farfetch'd.
  • SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    edited October 2013
    Didn't expect as many Froakie starters here! Same for me, nicknamed "Soft & Wet". Trying to nickname my Pokemon Jojo stands or equivalent.

FC: 3582-9003-9242

Just got the first badge! Man, that gym battle was amazing.
    edited October 2013
    I named my Froakie "Jiraiya" after the character in that ancient story about the ninja who could turn into a toad. Since his final form looks like a ninja, and he's a frog, I felt it worked. Also named my Litleo after my friend Sodders, and I plan on naming a few other pokemon after people I know if/when I find them.
    edited October 2013
    Just took down a certain sleepy Pokemon after getting a certain item from Chateau Chaydeuve (or whatever it is in English). Current lineup is Honedge, Quilladin, Wartortle, Litleo, Fletchender, and Inkay.
    edited October 2013
    I've added everyone! Last night I went to sleep after getting the flute. Today I will be pushing forward and continuing to catch the monsters. Current team is as follows:

Whammer the Frogadier
    Trouble the Vivillon
    Robyn the Fletchinder
    Mandy Pandy the Pancham
    Freia the Litleo
    Pwnedge the Honedge

Surprisingly enough, Trouble is one of the shining stars of my team. Struggle Bug hits all enemies which is nice when fighting a swarm. Plus it's just generally pretty awesome.
  • FunctionFunction Member Full Members
    edited October 2013
    0877 - 1299 - 3876, I'll add you all :lemo:
    edited October 2013
    I've added everybody up to this point as well. As a bit of warning because it just happened to me, you can and WILL run into a group of 5 pokemon in the wild who can and will annoy you through stat deductions (I got hit with multiple accuracy drops and defense drops).
    edited October 2013
    Also captured the sleepy Pok
    edited October 2013
    Adding you Function. Also, DRPG guy is entirely right. Swarms can be horrid. Scraggy swarm when I first ran into it all threw sand attack at me first turn then started tail whipping me next turn. Even being lower level than me, they still killed my main guy before Trouble came in and took them all down in one hit with struggle bug. If you have honey you can make those swarms more common and they're a great way for getting experience fast, but if you're doing that make sure you have a good hit all move or you might not like it.

Don't miss the amulet coin in the fancy house where a flute is won. The dowsing rod is pretty awesome. Second gym battle is easy, I found.

I'm gonna bold this next bit because it's important: You have to manually connect to the internet each time you boot up the game! Unless someone can direct me to an auto connect option, you'll want to do this every time you play, especially when you have friends on your list. I regularly send out catching, healing and, now, money making buffs to anyone online. That will include you too, if you're online and on my friend's list.
    edited October 2013
    Added everyone so far. My code is 0387-9650-0210 - and there's an incentive for a full friends list in the game, so hopefully you all add me back soon.

Starting with X and playing a Fire-only challenge, so I had to pick Fennekin. Had a full team by the second gym, though I wish Houndour would get a fire move already. It is kinda funny to see Zangoose team up on Seviper in horde battles, but not when I'm trying to catch it.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    edited October 2013
    lolwhoops wrote: »
    I'm gonna bold this next bit because it's important: You have to manually connect to the internet each time you boot up the game! Unless someone can direct me to an auto connect option, you'll want to do this every time you play, especially when you have friends on your list. I regularly send out catching, healing and, now, money making buffs to anyone online. That will include you too, if you're online and on my friend's list.
    Another important thing about this, if you EVER press the Home button and then come back into the game, you'll have to reconnect again. I don't know who thought that was a good idea, but they need to be slapped.
  • SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    edited October 2013
    Ah, good to see I'm not the only one with a bone to pick with this decision! You'll even lose the connection in sleep mode too!

One my way to the second gym (I think), but detoring at certain place due to an NPC blocking my path! Traveling with the following:
    Cream the Bunnelby, Areosmith the Fletchinder, HermitPurple the Bulbasuar, Soft & Wet the Frogadier, Lovers the Vivillon
    edited October 2013
    Currently in not-La-Rochelle, and I'm in a bit of a quandary. For the past five generations of games, I've never had to worry about the bit where it says "Pokemon up to level X will obey you," but leveling comes so easily in this one that I've got three guys almost to level 30, and I haven't even gotten the second badge yet >_>

So I switched out my Litleo and Inkay for the panda dude and this little gray thing that I think might be the early form of Meowstic.
    edited October 2013
    That rule only applies to Pokemon you got in trades. Otherwise, they'll always listen to you.
    edited October 2013
    Wow, it does take an eternity to get to the second badge. Kind of odd pacing. Anyway, when I did make it to the second gym town, I got a great surprise. Due to my impulse to use Rock Smash almost all the time, I got to meet a nice Shiny Onix. While he won't be a teammate in this playthrough, the guy will likely be used down the road.

My team is all level 25. I have Jeanne the Braixen, Du Barry the Vivillon, Nicholas the Wartortle, Polignac the Floette, Gu
    ClixPsi.png
    edited October 2013
    May as well pitch the question here, too: For my electric, trying to decide between Emolga, Jolten, and Plusle.
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2013
    I'm playing Y version for review. Currently rocking Braixen, Ivysaur, and Azumarill.

FC: 4639-9128-4190

Couple things I've noticed that I really love. I love that the shaking pokeball when you capture a pokemon takes slightly longer after each shake, and the shake is slightly more subtle. The tension is awesome.

i also love the Wonder Trade idea. Any extra pokes I get from now on are going right onto wonder trade.
    God's Final Message to His creation, written in thirty-foot high letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains:
    We Apologize for the Inconvenience
    edited October 2013
    Paws wrote: »
    May as well pitch the question here, too: For my electric, trying to decide between Emolga, Jolten, and Plusle.

Between the three, Jolteon. Though there are some pretty good options all around.

Great: Mangezone
    Solid: Jolteon, Manectric, Ampharos, Lanturn, Electrode
    Mediocre: Raichu, Stunfisk, Rotom*
    Weak: Plusle/Minun, Emolga, Pachirisu
    Unknown: Heliolisk, Dedenne

If I was using an Electric Type for this game, I'd go for Heliolisk or retrain a Manectric or Ampharos to try out their Mega Evolutions.

*Don't know how/when you can change formes. Most of the the Rotoms are otherwise Solid/Great.
    ClixPsi.png
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, I grabbed a Litleo and a Inkay early on from the wonder trades. Grabbed a few other new faces since then, too.