If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The Pokemon trainer's club (6th gen edition)

14567810»

Comments

• lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    edited February 2015
    I was hoping emboar would get a better ability, but oh well. I'm not really sure who i would even like to use out of the starters other than mega charizard y. what are the HAs of the rest of them? Are they known yet?
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • CadianCadian oh god who are you people Back and forth between New York and VermontFull Members
    edited February 2015
    lolwhoops wrote: »
    I was hoping emboar would get a better ability, but oh well. I'm not really sure who i would even like to use out of the starters other than mega charizard y. what are the HAs of the rest of them? Are they known yet?

Emboar learns a bunch of recoil moves (Flare Blitz, Take Down, Wild Charge, Head Smash, but not Submission, which is frustrating) and has a workable 110 base HP, but bad Speed, Defense, & Special Defense, and all four of its weaknesses (Flying, Ground, Water, Psychic) can be pretty common. Give it a Leftovers, Shell Bell, Baton Pass'd Aqua Ring, or Choice Scarf, and the boosted recoil shouldn't be as much of a problem as opponents that it can't outspeed or KO in one hit.

Meganium gets Leaf Guard - grants immunity to status conditions during intense sunlight or extremely harsh sunlight.

Typlosion gets Flash Fire - immunity to Fire-type attacks, and raises power of own Fire-type attacks by 50% when activated - *yawn* good when paired in Doubles or Triples with something that has Searing Shot or Lava Plume, but that's pretty much it.

Feraligatr clearly gets the best one out of the three with Sheer Force - boosts power of attacking moves by 30%, but removes secondary effects. For example, Waterfall's base power will be boosted from 80 to 104, but it will no longer have a 20% chance of making the target flinch. What makes this even better is that Sheer Force also applies when the 'mon is holding a Life Orb - a 40% boost to all attacking moves, with no secondary effects, but also no recoil from Life Orb.
    Twitters! Steams! Tumblrs!
    3DS Friend Code: 1435-5875-0306
    Brave Frontier Player ID: 6146529113
    Competitive Pokemon list - if you'd like tiny Lv. 1 versions, let me know!
  • sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Madison, WIAdministrators
    edited February 2015
    So where do I go to learn how to train my Pok
    179811.png
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited February 2015
    I'll assume by "reasonable amount of time," you mean nothing that will involve a lot of breeding. In that case, here are some links to guides for easy EV training using horde battles. Remember that despite Super Training, the fastest way to EV train is through horde battles:

XY: http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/ev-training-hotspots-x-y/
    ORAS: http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/ev-training-horde-hotspots-pokemon-omega-ruby-alpha-sapphire/

Of course, you'll have to figure out many many EVs you want to invest in your Pokemon's stats. Smogon is a great place for cookie-cutter EV spreads. You can either follow them to the number, or adjust as you see fit.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    edited February 2015
    hordes with pokerus and a macho brace can be pretty quick training, but I almost exclusively use super training. in Omega Ruby it works a bit faster than in Y, just because the shots seem to give more points. I really like the super training mini game.

I find breeding to be pretty good time when paired with netflix. most things are good when paired with netflix, but mindless busywork even more so.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • CadianCadian oh god who are you people Back and forth between New York and VermontFull Members
    edited February 2015
    Tropius is wonderful for horde farming. Fly to get where you want to go, Sweet Scent to attract hordes, Earthquake to clear a horde in one go. If you're training with hordes in the desert on Route 111, keep in mind that Sandshrew have increased evasion in sandstorms, so Earthquake might miss some of them. No, I don't know how that would make sense.

In other news, I've always liked Magnezone, and since I have time before I get my Sturdy Tyrunt and Sheer Force Totodile, I figured I'd breed me a Magnezone. I want to give it Hidden Power Fire, which goes well with Magnet Pull, but apparently the best possible IV spread for a Magnezone with a Fire-type Hidden Power is 31/30/31/30/31/30. Getting the 31s in HP, Defense, & Special Defense are no problem, and Attack doesn't have to be 30, it can be any even value. It's the 30s in Special Attack and Speed that are going to be the hard part.

And assuming I do manage to hatch one, I have to decide whether to make it a Magnezone or an Eviolite Magneton.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited February 2015
    I think the question is which experience are you looking for, and in what game?

Though if it's regular experience you need, install Blissey base: problem solved.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
    edited February 2015
    If anyone wants a Jolly Tyrunt with its Hidden Ability and four egg moves (Fire Fang, Ice Fang, Thunder Fang, Dragon Dance), hit me up.
    The Johto starters with their hidden abilities are now available to Pokemon Bank users; I should have plenty of Jolly Sheer Force Totodile with Crunch, Ice Punch, & Dragon Dance before too long if anyone wants one of those also.
    Made it to 70 straight wins in the Super Singles division in the Battle Maison, thanks to Mega Lobster (Clawitzer), Comet (Volcarona), & Alter Ego (Mega Mawile)! I almost lost at battle #40 when I was blindsided by a Veteran with Terrakion, Zapdos, & Suicune. I only won because the Suicune missed three Hydro Pumps in a row against Alter Ego.

Now I gotta try my hand at Super Doubles again. I need to work on my Doubles strategies anyway.

I still have plenty of Tyrunt and Totodile to give away if anyone wants one.
    edited March 2015
    I know have no reason to train my Pokemon to 100 with auto-leveling to 50 now standard. I like seeing my best and favorite at max, though. Once I'm done doing think, I think I'll go and complete my Pokedex before I finally move onto something else. On the side I may go for Doubles at the Battle Maison.
    Bravely second...

edited March 2015
    Super Doubles reminds me of how different of a beast Doubles is compared to Singles. Retooling my trusty Noivern (Draco Meteor/Air Slash/Flamethrower/Roost w/ Infiltrator & White Herb --> Draco Meteor/Super Fang/Tailwind/Protect w/ Frisk & Focus Sash) was very much worth the BP and Heart Scales, even though I've only been able to get through 38 straight battles at most with it, Mega Lopunny, Breloom, & Ninetales.

I've tried a bunch of other team combinations with the aforementioned 'mons, Mega Beedrill, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Charizard Y, Sylveon, Cinccino, Whimsicott, Chesnaught, and Heatran, but I haven't able to get as far. My biggest takeaway is that if you're using something in Doubles, then you better have a damn good reason to not teach it Protect.

I'd like to practice against actual people instead of the Battle Maison's sometimes odd team choices (using Slaking in Doubles is almost like throwing the match, and what the hell is with the SubPunching Lopunny holding a Toxic Orb?), but most of my IRL friends aren't huge fans of Doubles, so if anyone wants to battle or anything, I'd definitely be interested.
    edited March 2015
    Achievement Unlocked: Hatch two genderless Pokemon, both with five perfect IV's, one for you, one for a friend.

sEyRDet.jpg

Excuse me while I go and never do that again.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    Thanks for that. I would have missed it. It's been a couple years and I don't remember which uber rare legendaries I'm missing, but I think this will give me a complete dex for the first time since Red/Blue.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    So a completely new Pokemon called Megearna was recently revealed.

Is this our first look at the 7th generation, or could it be an add-on for the 6th? I've heard it suggested several times that the reason for the small number of new Pokemon introduced in X and Y is because the third version may expand the Pokedex. It would certainly be a good way to thwart data-miners (though this time around, Diancie, Hoopa, and Volcanion were spoiled by a combination of trademark names and searching for them on the GTS).
    Bravely second...

• redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    Not sure if this is the right place, but I'm not familiar with the pokemons. However, my 9 year old daughter has decided that she now likes Pokemon and would be interested in getting one of the games. She has played the demo for Alpha Sapphire and seems to enjoy that. Given that she has a 3DS, what would the best game be for her to enter into the series? Though the originals are now available on VC, I think she probably is not interested in going that retro. So, I guess DS or 3DS suggestions only, please. Thanks!
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    Here is the breakdown of the series for the past three generations, then:

Generation IV:
    1. Diamond/Pearl/Platinum - a dime a dozen in game stores, but by no means for a dime--they average $40-$50 these days. The first two are a pair, and they are among the series worst. Weirdly enough, the third version is a complete 180 and stands out as among the series best. That said, Platinum is also one of the more challenging games in the series, so it might be best to pass if she isn't exactly one to like a challenge.

2. HeartGold/SoulSilver - a remake of the second set of games from the turn of the millennium. They are quite fun with a great variety of things to do. However, the actual pokemon available can be frustratingly lacking at times, especially the beginning. Also, pokemon availability itself is tied to an in-game clock, so she may be limited just based on her daily schedule. Also, these games are also kind of pricey now.

Generation V:
    3. Black/White - the first series attempt at a more full-fledged plot. The games are set in not-America, so the Japanese-ness is less pronounced, most of the time. The pokemon in the core section of the game were all brand-new, so it is easy the greatest "reset" in the series. Sadly, the games had a lot of built-in online features that are now defunct (same with the above games, though the online was not nearly as pronounced in Generation IV).

4. Black/White 2 - one of the only sequels in the series. While less plot-driven, it ramps up the fun with the variety of things to see and do (like making movies). It also incorporates older pokemon full a large but not too large pokedex; she will have all the freedom in the world to make a team without drowning in decisions. Easily one of the series best, though it is best played with context of the previous game.

Generation VI:
    5. X/Y - the first 3D games in the core franchise, and it features character customization (especially for the female character, who has about double the items to use). It also introduced the new fairy-type (my fav); if she is fairly girly, she might really like this game just for the chance to have cute pokemon that are actually useful. If she is interested in pokemon due to the TV show, this is what is current airing.

6. OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire - a remake of the Generation III pairing. They are a tad lacking as remakes in some fields, but they are still fun (a concept Gen III completely lacked). This game is geared towards a lot of catching, and it can become addictive trying to hunt down the best type of each pokemon using its unique hunting features. While character customization was not retained, they did remake Contests as part of the game, which are non-combative competitions that she might enjoy as an alternative to battling.

Overall, I think for a kid, particular a girl, X/Y might just be the most appealing.
    ClixPsi.png
    edited May 2016
    While X/Y might be most appealing, especially if she's familiar with the currently airing anime, I do wonder if it would be hard for her to go back to the older games after the latest generation. Fire Red and Leaf Green (the Red/Blue remakes) would be my first suggestion, but those are GBA games. I wonder if other older games would be best, but it's hard to put myself in the mindset of a kid today. I would think that going in release order would be best, so starting off with HeartGold/SoulSilver, though yeah, those are going for $60-$80 used. :P Platinum might be best, or Black/White.
    Bravely second...

• PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    Will she play the game for a long stretch of time (months upon months) or will she tear through it fairly quickly? If you think she'll whip through the game and want more, B&W followed by B&W2 for sure. If you think she'll meander through the game, pick it up and put it down, and it'll take her a long time to play the game go with X/Y and move to Sun/Moon when it releases at the end of the year.
  • redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    Great. Thanks for the help! Will probably go with X/Y, since it has the character customization, which she really likes (she is a big Animal Crossing fan as well).