If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The Pokemon trainer's club (6th gen edition)

Comments

• PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2013
    Anyone tried to evolve Inkay by flipping their 3DS upside down yet? Also seeing if anyone's got the skinny on Pancham's evo yet.
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    edited October 2013
    I tried flipping my 3DS upside down, but is it actually supposed to work? Because I'm getting tired of dragging that thing around hoping it'll evolve. It's beyond useless. Also does anyone know if Spritzee evolves? It would be cool if it did.

So new happenings has happened. Through events I can now Mega Evolve stuff. Knowing this was coming, I started to use Charmander and now have Charizard (Y Mega) as my flying and fire types. He has drought as an ability, which is super awesome other than the fact that it weakens my main guy, Whammer. I also have surf, which makes me feel more excited about hordes. I also have fly and am about to beat a gym leader that I assume will make me be able to use it. I have caught a lot of Pokemon and in doing so gained a lot of extra levels. My water starter guy learned a move that completely destroyed my biggest weakness in my team, which was so much good against the last gym leader.

I'm considering leveling up exeggcute for a good grass/psychic boom, but I've been wanting to stick to newbies. It's getting kind of hard with all the actually useful and awesome Pokemon from previous generations I run into. Bagon, Heracross, Alakazam, the Eevee forms, Lapras, Lucario, Ralts line, hell even Snorlax or Steelix. I have to say, more than any game in the series so far, this game really gives you the selection options. Not just any old Pokemon, you can get top, mid or low tier of whatever you want. I think this might be the best game for a long time fan that hasn't played a game in a long time.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • Berserk_AlucardBerserk_Alucard Member Full Members
    edited October 2013
    Hey, long time reader[lurker] of the forums and website here, feel free to add my friend code: 1633-4264-1500
    I'm a little bit behind everyone else, got my Squirtle for my all water challenge team (strangely Shaymin, I thought I was the only one doing one of these challenges.) I'm moving on to the next gym, everyone has been saying the pacing is unusual and its a long slog to badge 2 so I'm not looking forward to it at the moment.
  • nstinsonnstinson New Member Full Members
    edited October 2013
    I am still anxiously awaiting mine to arrive. I have been watching werster speedrun them so far and they look fun!
    edited October 2013
    These super training mini games are actually a lot of fun. Training up my Charizard for some good times. You have to clear all of each level to move up to the next level, but most of my Pokemon team are maxed out already, so no one good to use. I hope I can get more of them reset bags.

I also ran into gible, so it's starting to look more and more like I could run a dragon type/dragon looking team lead by a ninja frog and that sounds appealing.
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    edited October 2013
    OK, new question, thinking about my Water type: Azumarill, Panpour, or Ducklett? I'm leaning towards the third because I know he makes a good HM slave (surf, fly, waterfall)
  • SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    edited October 2013
    Paws wrote: »
    OK, new question, thinking about my Water type: Azumarill, Panpour, or Ducklett? I'm leaning towards the third because I know he makes a good HM slave (surf, fly, waterfall)

If you want a good HM Slave Ducklet. If you want to deal with an oldie but goodie with loads of HP and a new hat (it evolves into part fairy now, right?) Azumarill. Now, if you just want something with a surprisingly robust move pool Panpour, but I think you are much better off with one of the other two.

@ Berserk_Alucard : Despite the long time before getting to badge two (I'm only halfway there apparently), I am still having a ball and haven't been bored yet. But these hordes are scaring me senseless...
    edited October 2013
    I vote Lapras. One is given to you at some point, so it's easy and it's pretty awesome.

Super training rocks. Some stages are a pain in the butt though. Working on my charizard and it's getting pretty awesome.
    edited October 2013
    Why hello there Pangoro. Evolved at level 32 (and I had a Dark in my party)
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Hands off the parfait! Administrators
    edited October 2013
    Comic con over the weekend slowed me down (I would rather not play a new game during all that noise and bustle). I just recently obtained the first badge. My team currently consists of:

Amane the Fennekin (14)
    Boneparte the Bunnelby (12)
    Olivia the Fletchling (12)
    Reinhardt the Vivillon (12)

As well as a Zizagoon and a Farfetch'd that are taking up space to later be occupied by new Pokemon.

Despite what I said, I did end up looking at the currently known Kalos Pokedex in order to see all of the new Pokemon. I won't say anything specific but
    this generation is reminding me of the fourth, which is not a good thing. There are so far 70 new Pokemon this generation, though there may be more for the National Dex, again, like generation four.
    I will have to change up my usual tradition of a team of six "essential" types: Fire, Electric, Water, Ground, Psychic, and Dark. I always go for a main team of all Pokemon that are new to that generation, and usually, having one of each of those types, preferably with secondary types that help them.

It's still too early for me to form a strong opinion, what I said above notwithstanding. I'm still taking everything in. There are all sorts of little touches I like, such as your character bending down to speak to a child.

Oh yeah, my FC is 3DS: 3737-9644-7526
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    edited October 2013
    I don't see why everyone is surprised by the lack of new mons. Even gens don't usually have a lot of new guys and instead focuses on expanding old families (Mega Evolutions for X/Y).
    ClixPsi.png
    edited October 2013
    Hmm, well, Gen 2 is my second-least favorite overall while gen 4 has my (so far) least favorite Pokemon introduced in it. Looks that even Gen trend will continue here. I understand that Gamefreak had to create 3D models for over 700 Pokemon, but I'm still a bit disappointed.
    I'm especially shocked and dismayed at the lack of Legendary Pokemon, even if there are going to be 1-3 Event Legendaries.

Anyway, for the moment, I added Syl the Flabebe to the team. Since I'm not entirely set on her to join the team for very long, she'll be two or so levels behind my other Pokemon.
    Bravely second...

edited October 2013
    Gaijin clued me in to an electric/faerie who comes, iirc, between the 2nd and 3rd badge if you're not sold on flower power. Also, Azumarill is now water/faerie in its final form -- Mime is faerie too.
    edited October 2013
    That, I imagine would be Dedenne. Like the previous Pika-lookalikes, it doesn't evovle, though. Helioptile and it's evolved form will be on my main team for sure.
    Bravely second...

• OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2013
    Oh hai! Been playing like crazy and am having a great time. I've been trying to make my main team out of new Pokemon with an exception for Blastoise because I've never used him before and he's my Mega. Other than him, I've been hanging out with Delphox and Pangoro, plus with my HM slave Hawlucha. The last two slots in my party have been pretty fluid. Depending on the area, I've used Aurorus, Meowstic (so cute!), Malamar, Talonflame, Gogoat, and Sylveon. I want to raise my Goomy, too.

I really like the new Pokes for this generation. There are fewer of them, but there are some really great designs and typings.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited October 2013
    A warning to you all, there's a huge gap between badges 1 and 2. And I'm talking at least 3-4 towns large gap. Meaning even if you don't try to be, you WILL be overleveled for badge 2.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited October 2013
    If you use the Exp. Share, the overlevelledness will only increase as you go along, too. There's an unfortunate lack of difficulty in the main campaign, partly because it's so easy to accidentally over-level, and partly because the gym leaders are just complete pushovers.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited October 2013
    It's a real shame too, considering even if you had exp share working like this in the older Pokemon games, it wouldn't have changed a thing. You'd still have been getting beaten soundly by all the gym leaders. But I guess they really want new players to enjoy the game without much overall difficulty. It's so easy actually that for once, I'm ignoring having Pokemon with stat dropping abilities.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited October 2013
    I'm actually finding the difficulty level / pacing a nice change; I'm overlevelled in large part because I'm sticking around routes that have a huge variety of captures -- I'm actually planning on picking up the guide so I can catch em all. With more cross-classed Pok
    edited October 2013
    I just recently reached Lumiose City and got a Charmander from Professor Sycamore, which I promptly put in my box. Even if this game is making it a bit hard, I still want an all Kalos-original Pokemon team. The music that played while meeting the Prof was fantastic, too

I also have a warning. Although it's rare, in some people's X or Y games, digital or physical, will find their character frozen in place after they saved in the streets of Lumiose City, then turn their games back off and back on. Resetting multiple times or taking out the SD card before loading the game seems to fix this, but it's best to be safe, at least until when (if?) it's patched. If you're in Lumoise, save inside a building or leave the city.
    Bravely second...

• 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2013
    FC: 0103-9538-2600

After blitzing through Black 2 in September, I'm giving this one a slower, more loving playthrough. The only meaningful differences are that I'm trying out most of the new pokemon, and I left battle animations on. I'm on Route 6 and my party at the moment is:

Wart the Frogadier (19)
    Chariot the Litleo (19)
    Golgotha the Fletchinder (19)
    Ashes the Vivillon (18)
    Max the Furfrou (16)
    Sparkles the Flabebe (17) -- She's garbage, but I feel like I should give a fairy type a chance

I'm only using pokemon that are new to me. I didn't finish DPP, play BW, or put an obscene number of hours into Black 2, so my sense of "new" doesn't necessarily mean they are new to Gen 6.

My only gripe at the moment is that it's way too easy, and Exp. Share is only going to make it easier. No one is making me use it, but I'm not much for self-imposed challenges to make games harder.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    edited October 2013
    Anyone know what I can breed Haunter with that would be obtainable in Y without spoiling anything? I received an item I wasn't expecting that makes me want one on my team because reasons. Reasons other than it's one of my favourite ghosts and probably my favourite poison.

After you get going you start hitting gyms pretty quickly if you don't linger and catch all the Pokes. Decided to stop and go around catching all the monsters I can while getting a few things evolved and farming berries. Also going into that nobility fighting house and raking in cash.

If anyone wants a pokemon that I can catch or needs someone to bounce a pokemon to to get it to evolve, send me a message.

Oh yeah, I really wish that the games had a hard setting where the AI will actually fight smart. The last gym leader could have KO'd some of my monsters even though I have a level advantage but instead of following up with the powerful attack they went with charm and I finished them off. I would love to play against a ruthless trainer AI Pokemon game.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2013
    Strange as it sounds, the hold-the-3DS-upside-down method of evolving Inkay actually seems to work o_O Not sure what level it starts working at, but somewhere after level 30.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited October 2013
    lolwhoops: Ralts is probably the earliest Pokemon you can get that can breed with Haunter (assuming the Egg groups haven't changed).

I'm past six badges here and swapped Pyroar (I got a bad nature) for Lampent. Sadly, Dusk Stones aren't around until much later so I'll actually see what Lampent learns this time.

Once my discounted Y comes in, I'll probably go starters + Honedge + Hawlucha + something... I want to try a new Fairy, both fossils, Goomy, Malamar... I might run two teams! Thanks, Exp Share!
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • DrizzlDrizzl Member Full Members
    edited October 2013
    Don't have pokemon yet but here is my friend code 3110 4330 8439
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2013
    7thCircle wrote: »
    FC: 0103-9538-2600

After blitzing through Black 2 in September, I'm giving this one a slower, more loving playthrough. The only meaningful differences are that I'm trying out most of the new pokemon, and I left battle animations on. I'm on Route 6 and my party at the moment is:

Wart the Frogadier (19)
    Chariot the Litleo (19)
    Golgotha the Fletchinder (19)
    Ashes the Vivillon (18)
    Max the Furfrou (16)
    Sparkles the Flabebe (17) -- She's garbage, but I feel like I should give a fairy type a chance

I'm only using pokemon that are new to me. I didn't finish DPP, play BW, or put an obscene number of hours into Black 2, so my sense of "new" doesn't necessarily mean they are new to Gen 6.

My only gripe at the moment is that it's way too easy, and Exp. Share is only going to make it easier. No one is making me use it, but I'm not much for self-imposed challenges to make games harder.

Fairy Pokemon don't come into their own until quite late in the game, when you start actually encountering powerful Dragon types and the Fairy Pokes are high-enough level to actually get some Fairy moves that do decent damage. Since it's a new type, it has a pretty shallow moveset and only two end-game-worthy damage moves.
    edited October 2013
    My girlfriend got the Pokerus, so I got a pokemon and started spreading it through my stuff. If you would like the Pokerus all I ask is a trade for something. I will make you a Pokemon, probably whatever is being bred at the moment, and give it to you. If you could give me X version exclusive Pokemon or Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Fenekin, or Chespin that would be super awesome, since I've started getting a bit obsessed with filling out my Pokemon list as much as possible. I will certainly take others, especially if I don't already have them or you just don't have anything to spare, but the fun part is helping your friends get more Pokedex entries, right? :D

So, in summary, Pokerus for your Pokes. Post here or message me or something. Or see me online request a trade and tell me. Voice chat works! I can say "Hi! Have a Pokerus'd gastly" in voice.
    edited October 2013
    Okay, I'm loathe to admit, I'm not 100% sure what the pok
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2013
    I looked up the pokerus when a pokemon I got through the GTS had it in SoulSilver. Not doing me much good at the moment, since all my infected pokemon are trapped in SS and Black 2 at the moment.
    lolwhoops wrote: »
    I will make you a Pokemon, probably whatever is being bred at the moment, and give it to you. If you could give me X version exclusive Pokemon or Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Fenekin, or Chespin that would be super awesome.

I'll give you a Bulbasaur for an infected pokemon. I happened to get a female from the professor and bred a few because they're always useful in trades.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    edited October 2013
    I don't know which character is yours, but I have a gastly with Pokerus I will send you. If you see me online, character's name is Robert, just request a trade.