If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Yay for false advertising....

MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything!Full Members
edited October 2013 in Miscellaneous
So I went to GamersGate and I noticed that they have a selection of DRM-free games, or rather games listed as "DRM-free." So I buy a couple, "Cthulhu Saves the World," (which came with a free copy of "Breath of Death VII") and "Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords," and go to install them.

Turns out, they're not quite as DRM-free as I was led to believe... The games require an online installation and cannot be installed without an internet connection. Apparently the GamersGate folks erroneously believe this isn't DRM, despite the fact that it obviously is. While I'm going to be contacting at least Zeboyd about this issue (as indies tend to be more receptive), I thought I'd drop a line here warning anyone who hasn't used GG yet to be cautious as their DRM-free games still have DRM.

EDIT: Looks like I've got something of a happy ending, at least for Cthulhu and BoD. I shot an email at Robert Boyd, and he IMMEDIATELY gave me a couple of DRM-Free copies via Desura. Seriously, you can't get service better than that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
-Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Comments

• PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2013
    You...need to be online...to download a game...and this surprises you? I'm confused.
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited October 2013
    I think he's saying he needed to be connected to the internet before he was allowed to install them.
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited October 2013
    DRM-Free games on Gamersgate are games that don't require their own DRM, like steamworks or GFWL or Origin.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited October 2013
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    I think he's saying he needed to be connected to the internet before he was allowed to install them.

EXACTLY. Thanks. I could have stood to clear that up.
    DRM-Free games on Gamersgate are games that don't require their own DRM, like steamworks or GFWL or Origin.

They could better communicate that. DRM-Free tends to imply no need to download anything but an offline-capable installer. Their DRM is still DRM.
    Paws wrote:
    You...need to be online...to download a game...and this surprises you? I'm confused.

What surprised me was that, after downloading the game, the installer turned out to be ANOTHER downloader. Basically you can't download an independent installer; you HAVE to be online to use the installer they provide, and that installer doesn't work offline, even if you have the temp files from a previous install.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, that's how all their games work (with the exception of games which universally require stuff like Origin or Steam, which their game page should denote). Once the game is installed it leaves you alone, it's great.
    edited October 2013
    Paws wrote: »
    Yeah, that's how all their games work (with the exception of games which universally require stuff like Origin or Steam, which their game page should denote). Once the game is installed it leaves you alone, it's great.

Still, it's a bit disappointing, all things considered. They really should be more open (IE, not burying it in the faq) of what restrictions there are. Hopefully these practices will change in the near future, but until then there's always Desura, GoG and Indiegamestand, I suppose.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2013
    I'm still bemused why you're pissed off you need to be online to install a game correctly. You do realize it's pulling down files in a lot of cases, right?
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited October 2013
    PC gamers are like that. If *gaming action* is not equivalent to *insert universally praised service/game here, like GoG for example*, then war is declared and lots of fussing follows.

Still, anyone in the PC space should know better.
    edited October 2013
    Well, I'd like to think I'm not being a jerkass about this. :distress: I don't think it's unreasonable to say "hey, there's a certain conception as to what DRM free means, it's not cool when that term is used for something else." That means giving up the whole installer, not just a tie to their servers. It's a matter of being truthful is all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]