If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Magical Materials of Mystery!

TG BarighmTG Barighm MemberFull Members
edited November 2013 in Saving Throw Gaming
Okay, a good part of world-building and RPG stuff is creating items, so I'm trying to get my mythological materials organized and categorized into proper levels of power. All tiers, as usual, are in sets of 3 due to the whole 33 rule thing, but any input on mythological materials I'm missing would be helpful. Note I'd prefer actual mythological/real materials versus D&D creations. I can't use D&D creations.

Aluminum/light metals -> Mythril steel -> Orichalcum

Steel -> High carbon steel -> Damascus steel

Granite -> Diamond -> Adamantite

Wood -> Sylphwood -> Silverwood (or Yggdrasil wood)

Glass -> Obsidium -> ??? (not sure what the highest tier of a glass-like material would be)

Lead -> Heartstone (my creation) -> ??? (not sure what the next highest tier of a super high density mineral would be)

Am I missing anything else?

Comments

• ironmageironmage chaotic neutral observer SaskatoonFull Members
    edited October 2013
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    Glass -> Obsidium -> ??? (not sure what the highest tier of a glass-like material would be)
    Hmm, maybe fused quartz, or sapphire? (Should Obsidium be Obsidian?)
    Lead -> Heartstone (my creation) -> ??? (not sure what the next highest tier of a super high density mineral would be)

For super-high density, neutronium is fairly popular, but if you're looking for a bit more realism, you could consider depleted uranium. Tungsten (also called wolfram :cool:) is pretty dense, too.

What about fabrics (canvas, cotton, silk), and skins (leather, wolfskin, dragonscale)?
    Only the livin' have the privilege of sayin' they'll fight ta the last breath.
    And words like conviction and resolve don't mean much to a dead man...
    --Raven (Tales of Vesperia)
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited October 2013
    D'oh. Yeah, played WoW recently and they call it Obsidium, so it must have stuck in my mind.

I like your skins entry, but it feels like there is a tier missing. I know in FF lore it's Leather > Dragonscale > Behemoth Hide, but that's an obvious nod to FF (and Mithril is an exception).
    I also like neutronium. Ridiculously high-tech or high fantasy is perfectly okay!

I dunno anything about fabrics. I got an idea to update glass:

Glass -> Obsidian -> Zero-G Glass

I'm also thinking, on a purely myth vs. myth level, mythril (yes, I prefer the "y" spelling) is roughly equivalent to orichalcum. I wonder what light metal would be on a ridiculous level compared to those two?

Anyway, good start!
  • AcathalaAcathala Member Full Members
    edited November 2013
    What would you use lead and Heartstones for a fantasy setting? I'm guessing some sort of containers and/or plumbing.
    Incidently Heartstones were something else in one of my favourite gamebook series. Basically they were the magical stone hearts of treeman. The heart stones got stolen by the main baddie and given witches, and later on you could awaken the treemen to go after their hearts.
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, pretty much everyone has used Heartstone at some point, so I haven't used it officially in a story yet.