If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Eidos to Produce the Next Final Fantasy?

TG BarighmTG Barighm MemberFull Members
edited March 2014 in Square Enix
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/eidos-developed-final-fantasy-possible-says-lighting-returns-director/1100-6415818/

More like it's a possibility. Anyway, what do you guys think an Eidos developed FF would be like?

The general consensus I'm seeing is Deux Ex with spikier hair.

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited October 2013
    ...not sure if entirely want.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited October 2013
    So, why did they form that committee to "fix" FF if this is the kind of dumb that is being considered?

The answer is easy, drop the graphical focus, and go back to classic Final Fantasy found in FF1-6,9,(12). Drop all the nonsense in 7,8,10,13 that ruined the series. Farming it out to a western subsidiary that produced games that Square already thought were "failures" despite 3M copies sold is not particularly promising.

I've already decided I'm pretty much done with new FF after all that BS with FF13 & FF15, and this is not a move I think would have any chance of bringing me back.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited October 2013
    I'll be honest, I'm iffy just because Eidos hasn't done anything like this before as far as I know. If they did, we'd have a clearer view of what they wanted to do. But in this case, I can't see anything other than a first person FF game in the style of Deus Ex (which I'd be partially fine with). They're a wild card, and as we all know, those either make or break series.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • omegabyteomegabyte Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2013
    If Eidos releases a Final Fantasy game you can pretty much guarantee that it won't be a numbered entry, it'll be a spinoff. And I honestly think a western-made Final Fantasy could be really cool. I mean, Child of Light from Ubisoft is shaping up to be pretty much exactly that, so why not?

At the very least, Eidos is likely to be more in tune with what attracts the series' western audience to the series, so it might have a better focus on those elements.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2013
    FF27-Poster-Closeup.jpg

If it doesn't feature this character, then the whole project is a wash.
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    edited October 2013
    In all honesty, I don't think I mind.

The moment they announced their "Final Fantasy Committee" to safeguard the series, the series officially died for me. I hate MMOs, and I'd still say that Yoshino is the only one who has proven himself to be on such a committee. Kitase has spent the last decade ruining all the cred he built up in the 90s, and most of that is due to his support of Toriyama's embarrassing career. Honestly, completely neutral on the last guy, but I can't believe those four were the best they could come up with.

So, yeah, let's see what Eidos can do.
    ClixPsi.png
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited October 2013
    I'll wait and see what I think of FFXV. Type-0 and Crisis Core were good games and Tabata was involved in both. He's no involved in FFXV.

I'd rather not see another company take over the series. Either Square can get their grip togehter or kill the franchise. There are other games Eidos can work on.
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited October 2013
    omegabyte wrote: »
    At the very least, Eidos is likely to be more in tune with what attracts the series' western audience to the series, so it might have a better focus on those elements.
    What elements might those be?

I can only imagine a Western FF dropping turn-based elements entirely, which is exactly how to make me not want to buy it. If I were Eidos and Square wanted me to make a new FF, I'd dig out the code for the original FF7 PC port that Eidos did and learn how to make a proper JRPG. Square obviously has forgotten how.

I'll echo smacd's sentiment: they need to go back to their roots, and not try to "innovate". Square, you clearly don't know what that word means. And stop spending so much money on graphics--your fans don't care. Promote Hiroyuki Ito, Takashi Tokita, and Jun Akiyama to next-gen director roles and send Motomu Toriyama, Yoshinori Kitase, Tetsuya Nomura, and Hajime Tabata to your mobile department so that they can't do any more damage. The way I see it, the current staffing in Square's development teams is entirely the opposite of what it should be. Currently, the little remaining talent is wasted on smartphones.
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited October 2013
    I'll echo smacd's sentiment: they need to go back to their roots, and not try to "innovate".

At the very least they could do whatever they did with FF11 and FF14. A lot of people insist those games have great stories. Maybe Square just needs to go back to a more medieval setting to get their heads straight.
    So, why did they form that committee to "fix" FF if this is the kind of dumb that is being considered?

From what I've read about this committee, it sounds less like a quality assurance team and more like damage control for bad marketing.
    If it doesn't feature this character, then the whole project is a wash.

I'd bet money that's exactly what they plan to do, heh.
  • The Last PaladinThe Last Paladin Member Full Members
    edited October 2013
    I don't think I mind this at all. It isn't like Square Enix is the Company I remember it being in the late 90's and Early 00's anyways. If the latest entry is any indication with FFXV Square Enix seems to want to go a different direction with the battle system now and get away from turn-base. I dunno, if this was 10 years ago I would be up at arms. To say that they are even considering this show just how far the company has fallen.

I did like Deux Ex but not sure how Eidos would handle a game of this magnitude. Still just the rumor of another company doing something with the series has me more interested in the future of Final Fantasy than, say, Lightning Returns...
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited October 2013
    Still waiting for Obsidian to make the next Chrono Trigger game.
    edited November 2013
    I dunno about that, but it would be interesting to see how Obsidian handles an FF title.
  • xocolatlxocolatl Member Full Members
    edited November 2013
    A good FF is a story-focused FF. I consider all FFs until now good. They don't have any real nostalgia value because the series changes so much from one iteration to the next (which is why a lot of people disliked it), but FF is one of the few games with really heavy stories (basically a disempowerment story rather than a power fantasy) that I don't mind following. I don't know if EIDOS can pull it off (Americans tend to lean toward Hollywood style power fantasy). But if they do, then kudos to them.
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited December 2013
    Sorry but No! I don't want another more westernized Final fantasy with dudebro like characters.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • dart2087dart2087 New Member Full Members
    edited December 2013
    Eidos works very well on their own games but making a FF is another story. I don't want to see that.
    I just finished my true HD Final Fantasy... Lost Odyssey.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2013
    LordKaiser wrote: »
    Sorry but No! I don't want another more westernized Final fantasy with dudebro like characters.

Another? When was the first one?
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited December 2013
    Yeah, wondering that myself.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2013
    So far not even Eidos Montreal has produced a game full of "dudebros," considering the cast of Deus Ex: HR was pretty diverse and I'd hesitate to even call Action Jensen a dudebro.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
    edited December 2013
    Aren't you guys playing FFXIV ARR?
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2013
    FFXIV has dudebros?
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited December 2013
    LordKaiser wrote: »
    Aren't you guys playing FFXIV ARR?
    You're going to have to show some examples of what you mean here, because there isn't anything I've seen in FFXIV that even comes close to being dudebro-ish.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • InstaTrentInstaTrent Opinion Guy RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2013
    I'm a big fan of the "wait and see" approach. I think it's a little pre-emptive to draw assumptions over whether a studio can do something before we even see an actual teaser trailer. People said Eidos Montreal couldn't make a decent Deus Ex and they were wrong. Well, mostly; Human Revolution still doesn't live up to the franchise name, but it is a very good game.

In the same way I rolled my eyes when people said that Heath Ledger could never pull off being the Joker in The Dark Knight, I'll likely roll my eyes at everyone who doubts the quality of something that doesn't even exist yet.
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."
    edited December 2013
    Well, if you believe most hardcore FF fans, even Squeenix hasn't managed to make a proper FF game since 10, so why not give Eidos a shot?

Or if you believe the hype, the guys who developed Bravely Default?
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited December 2013
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    Well, if you believe most hardcore FF fans, even Squeenix hasn't managed to make a proper FF game since 10, so why not give Eidos a shot?

Or if you believe the hype, the guys who developed Bravely Default?

I must be really hardcore, because 9 was the last proper FF game for me (though I did like 12). In fact 9 was the only proper FF since 6.

I'm still mixed on Eidos, but at this point, it couldn't do any more harm than Square itself has already done. I'm hoping I'll like Bravely Default, but if its too much like 4 Heroes, it'll be meh. Don't get me wrong, I liked the idea behind 4 Heroes, but the execution left a lot to be desired.
  • InstaTrentInstaTrent Opinion Guy RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2013
    Call me insane, but I liked Final Fantasy XIII in spite of its recognizable faults. It's earned it's place as a series entry for me.

That said, the most recent "true" Final Fantasy game (if you believe the hype), is likely Bravely Default.

To that point, I have no qualms with the franchise exchanging hands, providing the game is good.
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."
  • RewindRewind Member Full Members
    edited December 2013
    InstaTrent wrote: »
    Call me insane, but I liked Final Fantasy XIII in spite of its recognizable faults. It's earned it's place as a series entry for me.

It's not insane at all. Some people (and no, I'm not referring to any person in specific) can't see the series past their favorite entry/entries and create an absurd standard to measure up to.

I've got mixed feelings about Eidos taking the helm of a Final Fantasy game. I'd love to see their take series, but not for a main entry. At the same time, I'd want them to have the freedom to create their vision unhindered by any "baggage" from an existing world or design. At the end of the day, I believe I'd rather see a new IP from them instead of just working on an existing series.
    PSN: TLDragoon
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited December 2013
    Square teams don't create FF iterations hindered by any baggage. Okay, maybe they did for certain entries that are clearly sequels (FF X-2, FF13-2, Crisis Core, etc...). But not usually. There's no reason to believe Eidos would be hindered by baggage. I agree though, that they would be hindered by executive meddling, and for that reason shouldn't do it. No high-budget game is totally free of executive meddling but I feel like an in-house team would be more free than an external team to realize the vision.
    edited December 2013
    Macstorm wrote: »
    You're going to have to show some examples of what you mean here, because there isn't anything I've seen in FFXIV that even comes close to being dudebro-ish.
    The Human stock characters http://cdn1-www.playstationlifestyle.net/assets/uploads/2009/12/FFXIV-Image-203.jpg He looks western to me.
  • TyphoTypho Knight Errant Full Members
    edited December 2013
    Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an *******. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXVI, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel FFXVI by Eidos or you can kiss your business goodbye.
  • RewindRewind Member Full Members
    edited December 2013
    Square teams don't create FF iterations hindered by any baggage. Okay, maybe they did for certain entries that are clearly sequels (FF X-2, FF13-2, Crisis Core, etc...). But not usually. There's no reason to believe Eidos would be hindered by baggage. I agree though, that they would be hindered by executive meddling, and for that reason shouldn't do it. No high-budget game is totally free of executive meddling but I feel like an in-house team would be more free than an external team to realize the vision.

To clarify, I was referring to creating a game based already existing game world (like using Laguna for a main character if a game) like the games you mentioned.
    PSN: TLDragoon