If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Eidos to Produce the Next Final Fantasy?

2»

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited December 2013
    InstaTrent wrote: »
    Call me insane, but I liked Final Fantasy XIII in spite of its recognizable faults. It's earned it's place as a series entry for me.
    I don't think it's insane at all. I absolutely love FFXIII, it's one of my favorites in the franchise. While people diss it for what it had, it had the FF feel to it, and I liked the characters, though Lightning needed a personality bad (which the Lightning Strikes FATE events in FFXIV actually gave a glimpse of, a shame it took this long to do). That reminds me, January I need to replay FFXIII and FFXIII-2 before Lightning Returns comes out. Though I'm going to have to force myself through FFXIII-2, which I really think wasn't that good in story or difficulty (it was too easy, even with the superbosses and final boss).
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2013
    Typho wrote: »
    Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an *******. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXVI, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel FFXVI by Eidos or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Ooo, the famous NeoGAF copypasta finally makes it here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited December 2013
    Finally? This is the second time at least!
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    edited December 2013
    I agree though, that they would be hindered by executive meddling, and for that reason shouldn't do it. No high-budget game is totally free of executive meddling but I feel like an in-house team would be more free than an external team to realize the vision.

Final Fantasy XII says "Hi". Honestly, if anything, I hope the change in president will at least bring some level of sanity to their production method over what they'd dealt with the last decade under Wada. Though, really, as possibly even said earlier in this thread, I just don't want another Team Kitase anything for as long as we can hold off. Toriyama seems to have used up all his good ideas in Midgard, or at least he needs someone there to better balance him (example: Dramatically shorten FFXIII's set pieces to bring the game's length to ~20 hours, thus letting the action narrative and streamlined exploration and battles flow).
    I am also in the camp that FFIX was the last good Final Fantasy, though I have respect for aspects of the games since but consider them too problematic as a whole.
    ClixPsi.png
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2013
    Drav wrote: »
    Finally? This is the second time at least!

Missed that one, clearly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited December 2013
    I must be really hardcore, because 9 was the last proper FF game for me (though I did like 12). In fact 9 was the only proper FF since 6.

A common sentiment, but a lot of hardcore FF fans do like FF10 and many people recognize it as an accessible and quality entry in the FF series.
    I'd love to see their take series, but not for a main entry.

Is there any point in separating FF entries into "core" and "spin-off" these days? They stick the title on practically everything. Even the proper core titles aren't really "core" titles anymore (hey, Kingdom Hearts 15!). Let's just label their releases "Final Fantasy Presents" and give others a chance to create an "FF" title.
    While people diss it for what it had, it had the FF feel to it

Yeah, FF13 felt like an FF game, regardless of how poorly it played. There is nothing quite like an FF game and I still felt like I was missing something on the 360 even after I decided 13 wasn't for me. It's the only reason I'm considering a 3DS purchase.
    Stupid Nintendo. If they just gave the thing an option to play on full-sized TVs I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.
  • InstaTrentInstaTrent Opinion Guy RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2013
    LordKaiser wrote: »

That dude is from an FMV. There is more than one Hume present, and they all come in different sizes and colors.

Also, "Western" characters automatically = Dudebro? I'm sorry, but your statement just doesn't hold up to scrutiny.
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited December 2013
    InstaTrent wrote: »
    That dude is from an FMV. There is more than one Hume present, and they all come in different sizes and colors.

Also, "Western" characters automatically = Dudebro? I'm sorry, but your statement just doesn't hold up to scrutiny.
    It's your typical over-buffed character but anyway it's a MMO so it does not count. I'm just pointing out my concern of giving a western developer the task of making a Final Fantasy.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2013
    So Western! So dudebro!

Rein.pngdissidia-final-fantasy-kain-highwind-ff4-render.jpg

I'm not a fan of the boring over-muscled short brown-haired military dude trope found in a lot of Western shooters, but it's really not a big issue in RPGs. Most Western RPGs have pretty heavy character customization anyway. I do have some issues with Eidos... I think they are overly concerned with focus group approval and they don't exactly tend to operate in the realm of fantasy or technomagic settings, but let's not be the JRPG equivalent of WRPG people who are all, "Japanese RPGs are all about wimpy emo kids." Both parts of the world have a pretty good diversity of RPG characters.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited December 2013
    I'm sure there are some western developers who are fans of the FF series and JRPG's in general. You're less likely to find them among the traditional PC RPG developers, sure, but I'm sure they're out there. I do like the idea of Obsidian giving it a shot though.
  • TintagliaTintaglia Member Full Members
    edited March 2014
    As far as I see it, they can't possibly do any worse. So yay, I guess.