If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Atlus Announces a Plethora of Personas

OcelotOcelot is not declawedRPGamer Staff
edited November 2013 in Latest Updates
No, it's not a typo. Persona 5 is following recent series tradition by releasing on the PlayStation 3 late next year. In addition, certain RPGamer staff members may be currently having fits over a spinoff game starring Chibi Mitsuru.

Persona!

Watch this space for updates once it isn't Sunday.
Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited November 2013
    Not sure if want on the 3DS Persona game, but I can't wait for P5, and for that dancing game they announced...because I got the dancing fever!
    User Database Check
    Current Month and Year: March 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: Climactic Battle
    Number of Spammers banned: An ungodly number
  • redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    edited November 2013
    Welp, that's the move that makes me get a PS3. Surprised they didn't make it multi-platform(like Catherine), but maybe they are worried about the viability of the X360 by release next year. Also how ridiculous is that Persona Q game? I want that yesterday.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2013
    The dancing game will certainly have a great soundtrack, but if they try to tart up Chie somehow I will have words with them. Words.

Bonus trailers for the games we're not covering:

[video=youtube;M5BIRWiifo8]
    edited November 2013
    Aaand Persona 4 Arena Crazy Title Yo:

[video=youtube;Zqmnp2wZRU4]
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Full Members
    edited November 2013
    Etrian Persona: I'll do what I did with EOIV and Untold: Play the demo, and delete as soon as I see the first tarted up 7-year old. Please tell me there won't be a tarted up 7 year old.

Persona Miku: Uh... k...

Persona 4 Arena Championship Edition: Any chance they do a Duodecim and include the whole first game? Please?

Persona 5: Would have been interesting to see if they bothered to bring it to WiiU for off-TV play or touchscreen Persona fusing/social link status, but a PS3 is fine too.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited November 2013
    Did...DID I JUST SEE ADACHI-BABY!?
    User Database Check
    Current Month and Year: March 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: Climactic Battle
    Number of Spammers banned: An ungodly number
    edited November 2013
    I noticed (or didn't notice actually) a couple other things there. First, lack of a 360 logo for P4U2 was disappointing, though I wonder if they just leave those off the Japanese videos anyway. Also, there were no SEGA logos anywhere to be seen, either.

And I don't even know what to say about that dancing game. Like, my mind simply cannot form a coherent thought about it.
  • ironmageironmage chaotic neutral observer SaskatoonFull Members
    edited November 2013
    P5? P4D? P4U2? PQ?

Chibi Aigis? Chibi Elizabeth?

SQUEE!

I know nothing about dancing games, but I knew nothing about fighting games, and I still loved P4A.

Perhaps we will see coverage of some of these in the RPG Elements feature?
    Only the livin' have the privilege of sayin' they'll fight ta the last breath.
    And words like conviction and resolve don't mean much to a dead man...
    --Raven (Tales of Vesperia)
  • TyphaonTyphaon Member Full Members
    edited November 2013
    Tis a great great to be a persona fan!
    What I have seen and done to achieve my position defies belief. What I am capable of and will be party to in order to retain it would chill your soul.
  • SandySandy Final Fanatic Full Members
    edited November 2013
    Here's hoping that Santa will bring me that Nintendo 3DS that I wished for... ;D

PersonaQ looks ridiculous and probably the story is contrived and nothing to write home to, but I'll buy it anyway in anticipation for P5. <3
  • The Last PaladinThe Last Paladin Member Full Members
    edited November 2013
    I'm extremely happy about the new Persona 5 coming to the PS3 :) I will say that I'm getting a bit worried about some of these other side games coming out. Its understandable and rather smart to do a Persona on the 3DS, even the fighting game is somewhat acceptable considering how decent the other one was, but now we're having Persona tied to the dancing game genre? I don't want Atlus to over-saturate this series like Square Enix has been doing with FF series of late with games that shouldn't really have been made in the first place. I'm especially concern now with their new Partnership with Sega that they may end up doing just that (i.e. the Sonic games).
    edited November 2013
    The Last Paladin said:
    I'm extremely happy about the new Persona 5 coming to the PS3 :) I will say that I'm getting a bit worried about some of these other side games coming out. Its understandable and rather smart to do a Persona on the 3DS, even the fighting game is somewhat acceptable considering how decent the other one was, but now we're having Persona tied to the dancing game genre? I don't want Atlus to over-saturate this series like Square Enix has been doing with FF series of late with games that shouldn't really have been made in the first place. I'm especially concern now with their new Partnership with Sega that they may end up doing just that (i.e. the Sonic games).
    I feel almost the opposite, actually. I'm ok with a number of side games coming out to make ATLUS money, so long as the core games are still great. I feel like the core FF games (and Sonic games) have dropped in quality lately, and the side games became more of a focus. In fact, if the side games are good (like P4A was), then the more, the merrier.
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2013
    The reveal for all of these was incredibly fun. I was laughing so hard when they announced the dancing game... It all looks pretty fun. I kinda wish that Persona 5 was PS3/Wii U rather than just PS3, but you never know. Something might change between now and winter 2014.

Still, I would have liked more info about Persona 5! Give us more than just enslaved chairs!

I stayed up way too late last night because of this... So tired...
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2013
    So happy that the new P4A game is a sequel and not just an add-on. I want more of that story, it ended on such a cliffhanger!

P5 isn't really surprising, but great to know that it's on the way.

PQ... wtf? I don't know what it is or how it will play, but I want it.

As for P4D... big question I want answered is whether it's going to have a shockingly deep story mode like P4A did. Because if so...
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2013
    CHIBI MITSURU!

Ocelot included that just for me. I feel loved. <3
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited November 2013
    Persona 4: Dancing All Night looks sharkjumpalicious, but the rest of it looks interesting. Sad that P5 isn't going to the PS4, really, but hopefully this means another awesometacular Golden version to get on Vita the following year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • AzilisAzilis Member Full Members
    edited November 2013
    TwinBahamut said:
    The reveal for all of these was incredibly fun. I was laughing so hard when they announced the dancing game... It all looks pretty fun. I kinda wish that Persona 5 was PS3/Wii U rather than just PS3, but you never know. Something might change between now and winter 2014.

Still, I would have liked more info about Persona 5! Give us more than just enslaved chairs!

I stayed up way too late last night because of this... So tired...
    Yeah, the way they revealed everything was causing people to panic (which was pretty amusing in itself). 3 Persona games announced over a period of 40 minutes and no mention whatsoever of Persona 5. Of course, it made no sense for Teddie to introduce P5, so when he started panicking as the TV world set faded away and another countdown clock started, it was pretty obvious what was coming.

The 3 Persona 4/3-related games are just appetizers for the main course that is Persona 5. I'm curious to see what PersonaQ turns out to be like . . . I imagine the story will be pretty contrived, but as long as the gameplay is good (as it should be for an SMT game), I'm sure I'll play it.
  • JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    edited November 2013
    The 3DS title is directed by the Etrian Odyssey guy, which makes me wonder if that's the sort of labyrinth the game will be modeled on. It also has... some faces from Persona 3 I wouldn't think would pop up in a subsequent title. I see at least 2. So, that game is a bunch of question marks. I guess it could be one of those totally removed crossovers like that 3DS one with all the Namco/Sega/Capcom characters. One of the strengths of Persona is the character development and story though... that sort of game didn't do much other than make a few references to the past.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited November 2013
    omegabyte said:
    PQ... wtf? I don't know what it is or how it will play, but I want it.
    It's made by some of the folks that make EO, so expect Etrian Persona Odyssey hopefully with more story like EO Untold.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited November 2013
    If Persona Q has hand-designed dungeons like EO rather than the random ones from the main series, I'll be super happy. I just don't like random dungeons, but I put up with them because the rest of Persona is so good.
  • silktailsilktail mild peril Full Members
    edited November 2013
    In all fairness, people do keep stealing my chair! ... What?
    edited November 2013
    redwing42 said:
    I feel almost the opposite, actually. I'm ok with a number of side games coming out to make ATLUS money, so long as the core games are still great. I feel like the core FF games (and Sonic games) have dropped in quality lately, and the side games became more of a focus. In fact, if the side games are good (like P4A was), then the more, the merrier.
    Its great if they can keep it up, which to me is debatable. P4A is fine, but it really isn't too hard to mess up a fighting game. But now we're talking about a Dance Genre game? From a business standpoint, I just don't see the market value. I can see people jumping easily from an RPG to a fighting game and accept the genre than I can seeing them doing the same thing to a dance game.

Granted the music is awesome in the game, doesn't mean I want to dance to it...I dunno, this just seems to come off a bit too desperate from Atlus and they really don't need to be.
  • freykinfreykin Member Full Members
    edited November 2013
    That dancing one reminded me a bit of the Vocaloid dance game that came out recently, and of DJ Max Portable. I don't know how well those did here, but I think they did well over there, so I can see the draw of making one. I'll probably get it if it makes it to the US since I love that genre.

Also hnnnnnnnrg I need the other 3 like so bad. This just solidifies my choosing to catch up on the SMT franchise as my new year's resolution for 2014!
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops Member HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    edited November 2013
    Don't dance-y type games actually sell well in Japan or is the business standpoint one from a western market perspective? Because I bet it will sell well enough in Japan to warrant making it and Atlus has already proved its first market is Japan. Besides, the game would likely sell well enough in the west to justify localization costs, which wouldn't really be too word heavy I imagine. I love Persona 4 myself, but chances are I won't jump into the games based on it until they're pretty cheap. Don't care for fighting games, not big on rhythm games, so putting the characters into those types of games isn't gonna get me to bite. Maybe a $20 Persona 4 Arena everything included edition.

I'm looking forward to the 3DS Persona game. If it's an Etrian styled dungeon crawler with Persona characters that I like I will undoubtedly enjoy it. If not, well, I'll probably still enjoy it, just how or why I do would be different.

As someone who loves Persona 3 and 4 (I dislike 1 and haven't played 2 yet) I feel like I can finally be happy with the Persona 5 announcement. Not because I'm so hyped and it'll be awesome or any of that, no. The reason is that Atlus can finally start posting about non Persona 5 stuff and not have everyone ignore the game that's being shown and ask when Persona 5 is coming. You got your answer, so shut it about Persona 5.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
    edited November 2013
    Lol, that's true, people won't ask when Persona 5 will come out...now they'll be asking for gameplay footage from here on out :D

And you got a good point about Dance games probably being more popular out in Japan more so than here in the Western Market. Not sure how popular they are but I'm assuming Atlus done their homework enough to garnish that kind of game there...

Oh, and on a related note, just got a Playstation Vita from Ebay with two games for $ 220.00 and one of those games were Persona Golden :). Not bad for my first E-bay deal ever (Also picked up Valkyrie Profile for around 60.00 which is quite a steal!).
    edited November 2013
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2013
    I knew that one was inevitable, but, man, I really wanted Persona: the College Years.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2013
    Fowl Sorcerous said:
    I knew that one was inevitable, but, man, I really wanted Persona: the College Years.
    No, you want Persona 5: College Years so you can have sexy times with Mitsuru. Be HONEST.
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited November 2013
    Fowl Sorcerous said:
    That's what I said on Gematsu and persona's purists bited me. XD

http://gematsu.com/2013/11/persona-5-has-a-high-school-setting-but-different-atmosphere
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited November 2013
    LordKaiser said:
    That's what I said on Gematsu and persona's purists bited me. XD

http://gematsu.com/2013/11/persona-5-has-a-high-school-setting-but-different-atmosphere
    Purists exist to qq at any suggestion to change anything ever. Personally, I can't find a point of entry with the main characters in Persona since my HS experience was being the one everyone bullied. How about a game about that kid, instead of the too cool for school types we see all the time?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.