If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Favorite RPGs of the Last Console Generation

MacstormMacstorm Ysy St.Administrators
edited December 2013 in Latest Updates
As we look back upon this past console generation, a lot of great RPGs stand out. We took the time to highlight some of our personal favorites or games we thought really made an impact during the last gen.

Favorite RPGs of the Last Console Generation
"The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Comments

• rogue starrogue star New Member Full Members
    edited November 2013
    Top 5 Last Gen RPGs

Lost Odyssey
    Tales of Vesperia
    Blue Dragon
    Tales of Graces F
    Valkyria Chronicles

Games I haven't played yet (that could be on this list)

Ni No Kuni
    Tales of Xillia 1/2
    Xenoblade Chronicles
    Zelda: Link Between Worlds

I don't consider Demon's/Dark Souls RPG's, otherwise they would be right at the top of almost any list.
  • ascii256ascii256 Member Full Members
    edited November 2013
    Arc Rise Fantasia love. That game was awesome (just beat it a week ago.) It's a shame that people passed it up due to the rumors of the bad voice acting. While bad, you really do get used to it. I actually started to like the voice acting after a while except for L'Arc. (not a spoiler, just made up) "Oh no... my auntie is dead... oh well..." It's like the actor was instructed to read every line with a meh. Oh, and I guess they didn't want to re-sync the lips so during cinemas the actors would pause at the strangest times or speak rapidly at the end of a sentence.

The dungeons were simple, but varied. The boss battles were brutal and often unexpected. I beat a majority of RPGs these days without ever dying, not so in Arc Rise Fantasia.

Certainly worth $20 if you have a wii.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited November 2013
    Definitely agree with the vast majority of these, only a couple I haven't played. And one specifically I disagree with, but I don't see the point in calling it out or being critical. I'm itching to get to the few I have that I haven't played.

This list is making me really want to go play a Bethesda game. But I'd rather play a new one. I really hope the Fallout 4 rumors are true.
  • 17WordHaiku17WordHaiku New Member Full Members
    edited November 2013
    Nice to see my three favorite rpgs of this past gen on there. Dragon Age, Dark Souls and Xenoblade.
    My favorite of the three would have to be Dragon Age. I've yet to play an rpg since it was released that matched its quality.
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    edited November 2013
    To me the answers is Xenoblade Chronicles, it is the only game to ever come close to Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger in terms of greatness. It seriously felt like a classic from the Snes era while still feeling new and fresh.

Aow as for the article its good but it has a major snub that was not mentioned in it or any of the honorable mentions and that was The last story easily the second best rpg of the last generation, im a little miffed it wasnt even mentioned.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2013
    TLS might have made my honourable mentions list, but I only got halfway through before getting a Wii U, and I've been too lazy to transfer my save data over. I really liked what I played, though.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs The Bemused Administrators
    edited November 2013
    I certainly enjoyed The Last Story and I contemplated listing it as an honorable mention, but I just don't consider it a most favorite for the generation.
    " I think this is why aging makes humans die! "
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, you do have to keep in mind that this is personal favourites, not "RPGamer's definitive list of the greatest RPGs of the generation."
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited November 2013
    Borderlands, Dragon Age, Oblivion, Fallout 3 + New Vegas, Mass Effect 2 +3 (not the first), and Divinity 2 for me. A crying shame there are so few JRPGs on my shelf.
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2013
    People are allowed to point out ones we might've missed or ones we did that they didn't think were actually that great. As I understand it from elsewhere on the internet, that's the main point of allowing comments, we just do it with more intelligence and less rage here at RPGamer :) I was considering The Last Story for an honourable mention, and while I did think it was great, there's not much (outside of Lowell and Syrenne :P) that has stuck with me too long and neither did it draw me in enough for multiple playthroughs or as many hours like the others I did include.

The one I feel is a pity that didn't get a write up is Valkyria Chronicles. But as the claimant of the rights to gush about Xenoblade on RPGamer (sorry Twin and Berry!), I wasn't likely to pass up the opportunity ^^
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited November 2013
    AncientRune said:
    Aow as for the article its good but it has a major snub that was not mentioned in it or any of the honorable mentions and that was The last story easily the second best rpg of the last generation, im a little miffed it wasnt even mentioned.
    Yeah, like others have said this was a list of personal favorites, not a best of. That said, I don't think The Last Story would have made that list either. There are some on staff who enjoy it, but others that didn't, myself included. I really enjoyed the preview build I was able to play at the XSEED offices last year, but the game itself really bombed out when I got it in my hands. The story was fine, but the battle system was my biggest complaint. It had so much potential, but boiled down to something I found myself not really enjoying by the middle of the game.

So yeah, I get being miffed it wasn't mentioned, but I was even more miffed that the last 80% of the game wasn't as fun as the first 20%. Great soundtrack, though.

Now severin's point about no one writing up anything about VC is true, but I think Sega's treatment of the franchise watered down the enthusiasm many had for the series. Please Sega, fix this.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited November 2013
    Severin Mira said:
    People are allowed to point out ones we might've missed or ones we did that they didn't think were actually that great. As I understand it from elsewhere on the internet, that's the main point of allowing comments, we just do it with more intelligence and less rage here at RPGamer :)
    Oh well, in that case... I still don't want to get into much of a discussion about it, but having played through Resonance of Fate and getting the full 1000 on it, while I wouldn't consider it the worst RPG of the generation (that dishonor would go to either Enchanted Arms, or if we count re-releases, the Steam release of FF7), but I do find it shocking that it showed up on this list. I mean, the game had some interesting battle mechanics, but it wore out the moment you figure out how to cheese it (which should happen by the time you get about 1/3 of the way through the game). The plot is barely existent, yet it somehow manages to drag on far too long. Getting some of the achievements as well was an annoying chore, though not as bad as other Tri-Ace games. However, this game is what has cemented in my mind that Tri-Ace has interesting ideas that they fail to fully execute on, which makes the games seem only about 30% complete and mostly a chore to play. Maybe one day they will make a complete game that isn't Star Ocean, but that hasn't happened yet.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited November 2013
    smacd said:
    Maybe one day they will make a complete game that isn't Star Ocean, but that hasn't happened yet.
    Valkyrie Profile
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited November 2013
    RE: Arc Rise
    and the soundtrack, composed by Yasunori Mitsuda, Yuki Harada, and Shunsuke Tsuchi, is fantastic
    Should be Tsuchiya. :)

I'm pleased to see that Xenoblade showed up on several lists. Unfortunately there are too few turn-based console JRPGs mentioned. And that's hardly the fault of the authors!
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs The Bemused Administrators
    edited November 2013
    Ay, how did that typo slip through? :P It's been taken care of!
    " I think this is why aging makes humans die! "
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    edited November 2013
    I was surprised that no one did a Valkyria Chronicles write-up, considering all the good things I hear about it being unique and stuff. I wasn't as surprised to not find Tales of Xillia or Lost Odyssey on the top of someone's favorite list because even as solid games, they don't do anything to really stand out.

While Xenoblade is currently my favorite of the Wii/PS3/Xbox360 gen so far, I have to agree pretty much with the NieR write-up. It'll probably be near the top of my favorite games list for a long time because it made such an impression on me.
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2013
    I love the Arc of Fantasia Wuv. Definitely under appreciated in my book :)
    riulyn said:
    I was surprised that no one did a Valkyria Chronicles write-up, considering all the good things I hear about it being unique and stuff.
    If I was rating these on visuals and/or originality, you're right...VC would be close to the top of my list. It fell apart for me in the gameplay. It was super fun at first, but as I got further in, the flaws of the gameplay mechanics got in the way of the fun. In order to even challenge the player after the first missions, the designers had to rely on cheap tricks and scripted events. Since those events often broke rules and/or logic (Such as a tank appearing out of no where to flank your group or a boss with nigh invulnerability unless you know the ONE way to attack it), they would often kill ya the first time or two. However, once you figured out when/how the scripted events were going to play, they were super easy to take out (Put an anti tank troop near where you know that tank will pop out!) So, what started to feel like a SRPG/FPS hybrid ended up feeling like a puzzle/FPS hybrid to me...leaving a bad taste in my mouth. With that being said, I know a lot of staffed loved it all the way through.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Full Members
    edited November 2013
    I have to say, I liked the original banner better. But maybe that's my Xenobias showing through. :)
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups
    edited November 2013
    Jormungand said:
    Unfortunately there are too few turn-based console JRPGs mentioned. And that's hardly the fault of the authors!
    Indeed. Bring on the handhelds!
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • ironmageironmage chaotic neutral observer SaskatoonFull Members
    edited November 2013
    Macstorm said:
    Indeed. Bring on the handhelds!
    I'm bitterly disappointed that Valkyria Chronicles didn't show up on the console list, but I'll forgive you if Radiant Historia appears on the handheld list. :P
    Only the livin' have the privilege of sayin' they'll fight ta the last breath.
    And words like conviction and resolve don't mean much to a dead man...
    --Raven (Tales of Vesperia)
    edited November 2013
    ironmage said:
    I'm bitterly disappointed that Valkyria Chronicles didn't show up on the console list, but I'll forgive you if Radiant Historia appears on the handheld list. :P
    It did!

http://www.rpgamer.com/features/2011/dsfavs/
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2013
    smacd said:
    Oh well, in that case... I still don't want to get into much of a discussion about it, but having played through Resonance of Fate and getting the full 1000 on it, while I wouldn't consider it the worst RPG of the generation (that dishonor would go to either Enchanted Arms, or if we count re-releases, the Steam release of FF7), but I do find it shocking that it showed up on this list. I mean, the game had some interesting battle mechanics, but it wore out the moment you figure out how to cheese it (which should happen by the time you get about 1/3 of the way through the game). The plot is barely existent, yet it somehow manages to drag on far too long. Getting some of the achievements as well was an annoying chore, though not as bad as other Tri-Ace games. However, this game is what has cemented in my mind that Tri-Ace has interesting ideas that they fail to fully execute on, which makes the games seem only about 30% complete and mostly a chore to play. Maybe one day they will make a complete game that isn't Star Ocean, but that hasn't happened yet.
    Hah, I had a feeling when I read your previous post that you were going to complain about my pick. I still stand by it, though. Resonance of Fate certainly has problems (I said as much in my write-up for it, after all!), but it is just way too likable for me to ever dislike it. It is fun and unique, and I am really glad I played it.

That said, we all know that the only reason I didn't spend three paragraphs praising Xenoblade was because Severin beat me to it (apology accepted, this time!). That game is on my very short list of truly amazing RPGs.

To be honest, though, and this may betray my twisted mind somewhat, I was intending to write about White Knight Chronicles if I got around to talking more about a second game. Another horribly imperfect one, but I can't help but like it so very much... Excellent execution has been rather lacking among console RPGs as of late (the glorious Xenoblade excepted, naturally), so sometimes its better to fondly remember the most ambitious, creative, and fun of the less-than-excellent games. Both Resonance of Fate and White Knight Chronicles are like that for me. I'm not sure if I can even call them good games, but they stand out as some of my most fondly remembered games from the last generation. Crazy gunplay and giant knight action were just too fun, even if they both needed a bit more skill in execution.

I'll also apologize to everyone for the lack of Valkyria Chronicles love... Of course, I might actually be a bigger fan of VC2, which didn't qualify.
  • NefarioCallNefarioCall Member Full Members
    edited November 2013
    I was largely disappointed with this generation of Console RPGs. I thought there were less of them and without a real handful of top tier titles to lead it. The western PC genre fared better. I attribute this somewhat to the rising production costs of next-gen graphics. Smaller companies can't afford to produce an epic-next gen game, whereas in the SNES era there were hundreds of them. In this past generation, most of these titles (and imo largely the better games) flooded to the DS or the PSP. Between the two systems i would say the PSP has the better library. My primary complaint about the DS as a system is that it is cartridge based instead of UMD, which is every bit as bone-headed a move today as it was when the N64 was released. In this case however, the DS didn't die. Instead we get a smattering of games that use the small frame size and super low resolution needed to fit the game onto a cartridge to varying degrees of awesome or suck. Games like Radiant Historia and Soma Bringer are particularly frustrating because they are so good, but made such poor use of the field of vision and graphics resolution. SaGa on the other hand, while still suffering somewhat from cartridge size 3D, uses an eye level camera to provide a much larger and satisfying field of view. Other games like 'The world ends with you' or 'Devil Survivor' just do it right and are all the more awesome for it. In general though, the PSP doesn't face these problems. What's left are a small smattering of bigger budget titles on the PS3 and XBOX and Wii, which are largely very good all around, but without a real presence of top enders.
  • KiralynKiralyn Member Full Members
    edited November 2013
    NefarioCall said:
    In this past generation, most of these titles (and imo largely the better games) flooded to the DS or the PSP.
    ...which has sucked for those of us who don't own (or want to own), handhelds. :/
    (Not sure what it is, but I've never felt the desire for any handheld system, going all the way back to the original Gameboy)

Ah, well. At least there were a handful of JRPGs on the PS3 to play.
  • TyphoTypho Knight Errant Full Members
    edited November 2013
    jcservant said:
    I love the Arc of Fantasia Wuv. Definitely under appreciated in my book :)

If I was rating these on visuals and/or originality, you're right...VC would be close to the top of my list. It fell apart for me in the gameplay. It was super fun at first, but as I got further in, the flaws of the gameplay mechanics got in the way of the fun. In order to even challenge the player after the first missions, the designers had to rely on cheap tricks and scripted events. Since those events often broke rules and/or logic (Such as a tank appearing out of no where to flank your group or a boss with nigh invulnerability unless you know the ONE way to attack it), they would often kill ya the first time or two. However, once you figured out when/how the scripted events were going to play, they were super easy to take out (Put an anti tank troop near where you know that tank will pop out!) So, what started to feel like a SRPG/FPS hybrid ended up feeling like a puzzle/FPS hybrid to me...leaving a bad taste in my mouth. With that being said, I know a lot of staffed loved it all the way through.
    Wow, thank you for saying this. I felt like I was the only person who didn't fall in love with this game with all the praise it gets. It feels good to know I'm not all alone over here.
  • SandySandy Final Fanatic Full Members
    edited November 2013
    Xenoblade Chronicles made the biggest and longest-lasting impression to me for this generation of consoles, to the point where I'm still playing it even though I beat the story already (clocking over 150 hours by now).

Lost Odyssey was the reason I bought Xbox 360, and it was great as well, although the characters felt underutilized and flat in the end. The huge load times were also irritating.

Radiant Historia was also a pleasant surprise, although I had to resort to a FAQ to fully finish it. A charming little game, although again the characters fell flat in the end. But at least the time travelling trope was executed nicely this time around.

I hyped FF XIII to no end, and there's still many things I love about it (Fang <3), but ultimately it was a letdown in the lack of content. FF XIII-2 fixed some of the flaws the first one had, but the story was just too convoluted and plain stupid. Lightning Returns seems to repeat that, despite promising an "end to the saga" - to me it just looks like it's going to rewrite the entire narrative of the two previous games and make the game world even less plausible. FF VII takes a lot of flak these days for some reason, but at least it had a cohesive story and an expansive, fully-explorable world with all the characters linked to each other in meaningful ways. The FF XIII series is just a hot mess now, with the writers and directors having lost the direction where they want to take it. The world just seems to be constantly ending for one reason or another, just for the heck of it. :/
  • coyotecraftcoyotecraft Full Members
    edited November 2013
    I've never even heard of Arc Rise Fantasia. Also, I didn't realize Darksiders was a RPG.
    Dragon Age 1&2, Skyrim, Final Fantasy 13 & 13-2, White Knight Chronicles 1 & 2, Tales of Xilia. I guess I've played more rpgs on the ps3 than what I thought, but I'm not a fan of most of them. In fact, I mostly used my ps3 to re-buy psone rpgs that I already own.
    edited November 2013
    TwinBahamut said:
    Hah, I had a feeling when I read your previous post that you were going to complain about my pick. I still stand by it, though. Resonance of Fate certainly has problems (I said as much in my write-up for it, after all!), but it is just way too likable for me to ever dislike it. It is fun and unique, and I am really glad I played it.

That said, we all know that the only reason I didn't spend three paragraphs praising Xenoblade was because Severin beat me to it (apology accepted, this time!). That game is on my very short list of truly amazing RPGs.

To be honest, though, and this may betray my twisted mind somewhat, I was intending to write about White Knight Chronicles if I got around to talking more about a second game. Another horribly imperfect one, but I can't help but like it so very much... Excellent execution has been rather lacking among console RPGs as of late (the glorious Xenoblade excepted, naturally), so sometimes its better to fondly remember the most ambitious, creative, and fun of the less-than-excellent games. Both Resonance of Fate and White Knight Chronicles are like that for me. I'm not sure if I can even call them good games, but they stand out as some of my most fondly remembered games from the last generation. Crazy gunplay and giant knight action were just too fun, even if they both needed a bit more skill in execution.
    Yeah, I mean like I said, it wasn't exactly a bad game either. It's just... there. I get your point of view on it too. I actually like seeing interesting ideas tried out, and this game had plenty of those. I give Tri-Ace props for trying out interesting new ideas, but between that game and Infinite Undiscovery during this gen, I wish they'd get around to actually finishing the game. Don't get me wrong, I'm actually glad I played it, because it wasn't a bad game at all. It just feels like it was missing a lot of somethings. I think that my being surprised is because I have a hard time finding a good reason to actually recommend the game to anyone.
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, my tri-Ace fandom has definitely cooled after the last generation.

@Nefario, I think you overestimate, by far, the number of RPGs on the SNES. Unless you're Japanese, there were probably less than 50. Modern consoles outdo it by leaps and bounds. If anything, I'd say the increased selection makes it more difficult to find my what I'm looking for among the flotsam.

With games like Dragon Age: Origins, the Souls franchise, Xenoblade, Mass Effect, Witcher, etc, I was really impressed with the number of new, quality, franchises that came out of this generation, as well as the number of original works and the indie game scene. Given how many of the older series seemed to flounder this generation, it was especially welcome relief.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited November 2013
    Most of my favorites aren't present on the list, though I suppose its no surprise given my somewhat eclectic taste compared to what I read from others online. Of the featured titles on the list, the only ones I really played and enjoyed were Xenoblade (one of my favorites, as well as many others, I'm sure), Arc Rise Fantasia, and Mass Effect 2.

Many of my favorites are JRPGs that are either hated or simply weren't played much. In particular, FF13 and Magna Carta 2 are the ones I have the fondest memories playing. The lack of any of Tales titles being featured, especially with the trio of Graces F, Vesperia, and Xillia existing is also somewhat surprising. These 3 all bring a certain level of Tales goodness to the table, and I'd consider them at least on par if not superior to those on the PS2. On the WRPG front, Borderlands 2 was one of the funnest times I've had playing a multiplayer game in years. Although I've played A Realm Reborn quite a bit, I hesitate to consider it one of my favorites. At the moment I enjoy talking to the people I've met more than anything else.

As for some of the comments in the thread, I couldn't agree with smacd more about Resonance of Fate. When I think of some of my personal "meh" console RPG experiences this generation, RoF, Nier, and The Last Story all come to mind. It sort of pleases me to see there are those that agree with me in part on this thread, but at the same time I'm not here to dispute anyone's favorite game, and I'm glad you enjoyed it, Twin. The fact that these games exist show that there is a little something for everyone this generation, and I think we're all the better for it.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach