If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

An interesting thread on Square Enix, post-merger

JormungandJormungand MemberFull Members
edited January 2014 in Square Enix
The one-sentence digest is that the merger had less to do with TSW than is commonly believed, and that the merger and subsequent change in leadership has caused the company to dispense with other series in favor of Final Fantasy.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=744184

An interesting read. Food for thought.

Comments

• TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Meh. When the leadership changed and you started seeing nothing but talk about boosting the share price and improving the bottom line, suggesting that was ALL they cared about, I knew it was the beginning of the end and I've been saying exactly that for close to a decade now (go ahead, check my post archive if you don't believe me).

On the bright side, they've done some good things lately.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited January 2014
    June 2000 was a sad month in the history of this company.

They do everything in their power to make me want to hate them and then they release a game or two that I love, and I'm back to hoping they can make every game great.

Bravely Default is a really good game that I'm really enjoying.

I've also played Final Fantasy: Type-0. I really enjoyed what I played, but I can't read Japanese. Thumbs up for the game, but no localization made me sad. Luckily, the localization might actually be completed this month.
  • KaiserKaiser A smooth flow of thought Full Members
    edited January 2014
    i disagree with the "the merger ruined the quality/ made them only milk final fantasy games instead of creating new innovative ips" sentiment.
    they created some fairly interesting and new ips since the merger (radiata stories, last remnant, twewy, bravely default, nier) and continued to make sequels for games which are not even close to final fantasy popularity (like front mission, parasite eve)

Sadly, they haven't made vagrant story II yet :(

the games where square really dimished in quality were ff XIII and XIV 1.0, which relased long after the merge.

They have however shown with XIII-2 and XIV 2.0 that they are still able to produce great games and hopefully learned from their mistakes.
    Trance Radiance Infinity

• smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited January 2014
    It really is disappointing just how much Squaresoft has destroyed Enix as a company. The merger was the worst mistake Enix ever did. Its really baffling how they would have let the Square side pretty much run the show given everything that was happening at the time, and how Enix was the larger company. On the good side, their influence on Square started to get them to make real remakes like Enix had always done rather than just ports with some FMV slapped on the beginning and end, but I don't think that was worth it in the long run.

The documentation in the post was mostly obvious in looking at how things played out, it mostly just confirms to me that Enix sold themselves out to their own destroyer.
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Kaiser wrote: »
    i disagree with the "the merger ruined the quality/ made them only milk final fantasy games instead of creating new innovative ips" sentiment.
    they created some fairly interesting and new ips since the merger (radiata stories, last remnant, twewy, bravely default, nier) and continued to make sequels for games which are not even close to final fantasy popularity (like front mission, parasite eve)
    Radiata Stories and were not developed by Square Enix. Parasite Eve's most recent "sequel" (it's universally agreed upon to be utter tripe and non-canon) was not developed by Square Enix. Front Mission's most recent "sequel" (it's universally agreed upon to be utter tripe and non-canon) was not developed by Square Enix.

TWEWY and Bravely Default were headed by Square employees, but not developed in-house.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited January 2014
    Jormungand wrote: »
    Radiata Stories and were not developed by Square Enix. Parasite Eve's most recent "sequel" (it's universally agreed upon to be utter tripe and non-canon) was not developed by Square Enix. Front Mission's most recent "sequel" (it's universally agreed upon to be utter tripe and non-canon) was not developed by Square Enix.

TWEWY and Bravely Default were headed by Square employees, but not developed in-house.
    He means Front Mission 4 and 5, Jormungand. The 3rd Birthday...do we even consider that part of the Parasite Eve series at this point?
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."