If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

My Year of Gust - January : Atelier Marie!

GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
edited February 2014 in Staff Review Blogs
So starts my Year of Gust games. Since I actually have twelve titles from this company that I have (mostly) not completed and which do not have reviews on the site, I'll be working my way through them this year.

First up, Atelier Marie (Plus version, for the PSX).

I've played this one before, but I got distracted by something newer and shinier before I could do everything on it. My goal for this month is to prove whether or not this version of the game has the "Two Legendary Ladies!" ending, as the FAQ on GameFAQs is unsure on the subject. To do that, I'll have to get both Marlone (the heroine) and her best friend Schia up to level 50. This might take some doing....

Comments

• GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2014
    And Day 1 ends with me having to reset because I forgot to clear up space on the memory card >_<

Oh well, I think I messed myself up again by pushing too fast, anyway. I didn't get a weapon for Schia for the longest time, and I met the fairies way later than I should have. I can try again on Wednesday :)
    edited January 2014
    Had an hour or so free this evening, so I restarted. I'm getting along a little easier this time, since I got Schia equipped with the best available items right off and I hit the first few flagged events a lot earlier (like, 8 months earlier) than I did yesterday.

I'd forgotten just how super-random the pub jobs can be in this game. Half the time I won't be able to make/get anything that they're asking for. >_< I'm glad Gust changed that a bit in the later games.
  • redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Will most of these be Japan only, or will some of them be NA releases as well? Or at least games that were released in NA... I'm sure you'll be playing the Japanese releases.
    edited January 2014
    One of my goals is to expand the total Gust coverage of the site, and the NA releases are already pretty well covered. ;)

The only non-JP-exclusive title I have lined up is Mana Khemia 2, to be booted up in the event that I completely give up on the GameBoy Color Atelier (which is pretty likely; that game's a snoozefest).

Planned games:
    Atelier Marie
    Atelier Elie
    Atelier ME&Anis (played a ton, going for 100% item list this time)
    Atelier GBC and/or Mana Khemia 2
    Atelier Lilie (previously completed, but never satisfactorily)
    Atelier Judie (never figured out HOW to complete it, since it has no built-in deadline)
    Atelier Violet (shooting for the best ending)

Non-atelier games:
    The Adventures of Robin Lloyd (action game)
    Falcata
    Meru Purana (not exactly sure what this one's like)
    Taishou Mononoke Ibunroku (4th or 5th attempt at this one)

And somewhere in there I'll probably play the third Dusk game, which I am assuming will be out at the end of June, because Gust is predictable like that.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Woof... Good luck with this man. I've played some Gust games and they've been awful experiences to me. I hope you have some fun with them, otherwise this is a year of torture...
    edited January 2014
    Well, as my two reviews and multiple impressions might tell you, I tend to enjoy Atelier games. I've played most of the games on the list for varying amounts of time before being distracted by shiny things, so about half the year is actually dedicated to me burning through my unfinished games backlog. The major unknowns are Robin Lloyd, Falcata, and Meru Prana, since I know very little about them other than the fact that they aren't like any of the later Gust offerings. The ones I'm not looking forward to are Atelier GBC (because it's slow and dull), and Taishou Mononoke Ibunroku (because the kanji count and reading level are absurdly high).

---

Back in Atelier Marie, I'm in month 3 of year 2 (out of 5). I've been able to visit most of the gathering spots so far, even Mt. Virant, though the dragon blasted me pretty quickly. Still, since I've been there, my fairy helpers can harvest things for me easily enough. I can finally make a large percentage of the items I know about, which makes filling in orders a lot easier now.

Currently have Schia (level 5) and Kiri (level 13) in my party.
    edited January 2014
    Well, I am just starting up Year 4 of the game, and Marie is at level 30 while Schia is.... 12. Seriously, it is a major pain to level that girl up. The XP portioning in this game is weighted so that the person who kills the monster gets more, and she's not that strong a fighter. I've finally got enough good fairy dudes together to form a workable assembly line for the stronger bombs (mega flam and mega krafte), so she's getting a bit more oomph now. Also, it helps that I was able to whip up an Elixir in just over a month, once her illness sub-plot kicked in.
    edited January 2014
    OK.... as it turns out, once she hits level 20 or so, Schia becomes frightfully efficient at killing things with bombs. With my fairy factory turning out Mega Krafte and Forte Flam in reasonably large numbers, she could take out all four mobs in the tower area single-handedly, which meant she average 5 levels gained per trip to that location. I had her at level 50 almost three months before the end of the game.

So, "Two Legendary Ladies" Ending! GOAL ATTAINED!
    edited January 2014
    List of achievements:

Defeated all three bosses.
    Helped Dio and Kugel mend their friendship.
    Said goodbye to Ruven, who's gone to find his family.
    Did NOT say goodbye to Kiri, because her final event didn't activate for some reason.
    Mixed up an elixir in record time and helped Schia recover from a life of illness.
    Forgot to join the battle tournament in Year 5 (but I DID whomp on the champion in the TLL ending credits!)
    Didn't find all the recipes, and several items remain (so far as I know) completely pointless.
    Never did find a Donkelheit flower >_>
  • kazrikokazriko Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Woof... Good luck with this man. I've played some Gust games and they've been awful experiences to me. I hope you have some fun with them, otherwise this is a year of torture...

I've always enjoyed Gust games, but I have to admit that they're the types of things that I get burned out on quickly. I don't think I'd be able to play 12 of them in one year, even 3 would be pushing it.
    edited January 2014
    Well, it helps that they play quickly, so I've got almost three weeks between Marie and Elie which I am filling with random other games. Also, almost half the list is NOT Atelier, and Gust has made some really odd other stuff from time to time :D
    edited February 2014
    Y'know, might as well post the review here too. So... review.