If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

List of backlogs, including podcasts.

goateguygoateguy MemberFull Members
edited March 2014 in Miscellaneous
I have a fair amount of podcasts that I listen to on a regular basis. Sometimes there are periods where I don't listen to anything new (except for the BBC one...despite me not being British), and the. The backlog builds up. Other times there are podcasts that I jump into the middle of and want to catch up on older episodes for a variety of reasons (specific interests, continuity, development of style). I guess this can extend to other subjects as well (video game, movie, music, tv, anime, webcomic, etc). What do you all have on backlog that you are trying to kill through?

I am currently going through the old RPG Backtracks right now. I got into them for a few cool ones (Legaia, FFX, Phantasy Star) and decided I wanted to hear them all. Just about to start episode 28 a 4 hour marathon of Super Robot Taisen information. But if I can't fit that into my schedule! then I will jump to the latest episode, 110 about Marvel Ultimate Alliance and then jump backwards into 28 just to keep things going.
If I don't make it home, tell my wife I said Hello.

--Neutral Planet President

You can find awesome fractal art at my website: http://goateeguy.deviantart.com

Comments

• smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited January 2014
    I have something like 60 different podcast/vidcasts in my feeds, although some of them are retired and I am either done or still need to go through them. It does take quite some time to go through even one podcast back episode list if its been around a few years. I tend to start by listening to the newest episodes as they come, and then also try to hit all the back episodes in order as I have time, although it can be hard to binge too much on a single podcast for me, so I switch things up whenever I can.

I have also found most importantly is to find a good podcast player that manages all of them for you, and has an adjustible speed. I listen to most of my podcasts in 2x, which greatly helps hitting that backlog. I personally use BeyondPod on android, but there are plenty of other good ones. There are some people like Scott Johnson whom I rarely hear at normal speed, and so when I do he sounds... slow.

I wont list all the casts I am trying to get through the backlog of, but the main one is The Morning Stream. I started listening in late 2012 after I caught up on RPGCast and had heard it mentioned by Chris a time or two, and I still have around 50 episodes from mid 2012 I havent listened to yet.

I am always interested in hearing about other good podcasts I dont currently listen to, to add to my huge backlog. Unlike games, at least I can listen while I drive or am at work, or while I game.

What is disappointing is no one I know in person listens to podcasts, and look at me weird when I make recommendations. It still seems like a niche media in a lot of ways.
  • goateguygoateguy Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    That is not a bad idea. I have heard other people talk about listening to podcasts on 2x speed before, just as they listen to certain types of music at 2x speed. BeyondPod is the podcasting app of choice for me too. I heard about it early last year when I got into podcasting through my phone. Prior to that, rather, I would use the podcasting section on Winamp and then move the podcasts to my MP3 player for listening at work and on long drives at my previous job. Ounces that I would recommend to you would be (without knowing personal preference):

RooterTeeth podcast (formerly the drunktank, slice of life recently instead of that and gaming) by Roosterteeth productions
    The Patch (spun off of the Drunktank but it is only a so-so gaming podcast, works better if you have that backlog of regular podcasts under your belt.) also by Roosterteeth
    Mission Log (serious critical review of old Star Trek episodes)
    BBC World Service (good to hear world news from a slightly different point of view)
    and then I have a few economics/business and tech podcasts I listen to as well and could recommend.

I hope you can find something good out of this list to listen to.

• Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited January 2014
    In terms of podcast backlogs, I really only have The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe, who are up to their #444th episode. I'm on their #89th, and have listened to the last recent two months or so of episodes. It's quite entertaining and informative, being as much a science news podcast as it does on covering woo woo. I want to start listening to Writing Excuses since Brandon Sanderson is on that one, but I haven't yet.

I have a smallish anime backlog to get through. There's the last few episodes of Star Ocean EX, the last half or so of Stellvia, I just started on Ultra Maniac, completing Chrono Crusade, as well as atually starting on Steins;Gate. I'm sure I'm missing a title or two there.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

edited January 2014
    Ah Mission Log, I've also been starting to listen to those as I watch through Star Trek TOS again. It looks like they are nearing the end, are they planning to move on to TAS or TNG next?

Strawberry- are those shows you mentioned like podcasts versions of anime? I've never heard of any of them.

Maybe I should list out what I listen to.

(Gaming)
    8-4 Play (backlog of 77 episodes)
    CAGCast (backlog of 318 episodes)
    Final Score (caught up)
    Game on Video (caught up, retired)
    Giant Bomb Gaming Minute (caught up, but the feed is sporadic)
    Giant Bombcast (backlog of 355 episodes)
    Heroes of Handheld (backlog of 16 episodes)
    Ladies of Leet (caught up)
    Playstation Nation (backlog of 328 episodes)
    Random Encounter (caught up)
    RPG Backtrack (caught up)
    RPGCast (caught up)
    RPGamer Head to Head (caught up, retired)
    RPGamer's Dialog Trees (caught up)
    Rhythm Encounter (backlog of 11 episodes)
    The Bethesda Podcast (caught up, retired?)
    The Downpour Podcast (caught up)
    The Gamerscore Popcast (caught up)
    The Harmonix Podcast (backlog of 111 episodes)
    TrueAchievements Podcast (caught up)
    Xbox Achievements (caught up, retired?)

(Entertainment)
    Autopilot (backlog of 34 episodes)
    Coverville (backlog of ~1000 epsiodes)
    Extralife Radio (backlog of 233 episodes, retired)
    FourCast (caught up, retired)
    Hypothetical Help (caught up, retired?)
    Mission Log (backlog of 69 episodes)
    Nerd Parents (backlog of 3 episodes)
    Sword & Laser (caught up)
    Tadpoolery (caught up, retired?)
    The Geekly Weekly (backlog of 1 episode)
    The Morning Stream (backlog of 58 episodes)

(Finance)
    The Truth about Money with Ric Edelman (caught up)

(Science and Tech)
    All About Android (caught up)
    Cordkillers (caught up)
    Current Geek (caught up)
    Daily Tech News Show (caught up)
    Frame Rate (caught up, retired)
    Software Engineering Radio (backlog of 199 epsiodes)
    StarTalk Radio with Neil deGrasse Tyson (caught up)
    Tech News 2Nite (caught up)
    Tech News Today (caught up)
    TechStuff (backlog of 570 episodes)
    The Engineering Commons (caught up)
    This Week in Engineering (backlog of 88 episodes)
    This Week in Tech (caught up)
    TWiT Live Specials (caught up)

(Interesting Knowledge)
    99% Invisible (backlog of 102 episodes)
    Stuff to Blow Your Mind (backlog of 406 episodes)
    Stuff You Missed in History Class (backlog of 570 episodes)
    Stuff You Should Know (backlog of 586 episodes)

(Health)
    Healthy Neck Insider (backlog of 17 episodes)
    Low Carb Conversations (backlog of 95 episodes)

So I have a few FrogPants shows and a few TWiT shows, and a bunch of other random things I've picked up. I can highly recommend most all of the frogpants shows. With most of the TWiT shows, I've pretty much decided to ignore the backlog and just watch from where I found it. I didn't list the local/national talk radio I listen to as I'm not interested in discussing politics in any manner on this site though. I think I've caught up a lot, as I've only really been listening to podcasts since I decided to give the ones I saw posted on a few sites I frequent a try around early summer 2012. There are a few shows that I haven't really started listening to much yet, so I'm not sure if they will stay on my backlog yet.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited January 2014
    Oh, no, those are just anime series. The title of the thread has "including podcasts" in it, so I assumed that we could list other things we had a backlog of that aren't podcasts.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

edited January 2014
    Oh gotcha. Yeah, I don't even want to think about other backlogs I have. My netflix/hulu queues are immense as well.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited January 2014
    Gaming: *TILT*

Podcast: I'm trying to get through the Discover Music Project and finish a relisten of the Player One Podcast. It's kind of hard to do that when you have your own show to edit.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
    edited January 2014
    Smacd, I believe they said that they were going to do TAS then move to the movies. After that they were deciding whether or not to alternate TNG and DS9 as they aired or what not. We will all know about Memorial Day or so when they finish the TAS section.

A full breakdown of the podcasts that I listen to are:

(News)
    Global News - BBC

(Tech)
    Tech News Today (suspended this since the change from Tom Merritt....just not the same anymore)
    NPR Tech podcast

(Science)
    TED Radio Hour
    Astronomy Cast (been slacking for a month now)

(Entertainment)
    The Nerdest (I pick and choose from there)
    RoosterTeeth podcast
    Mission Log (finally all caught up)
    Talking Toons with Rob Paulson (picked and choose but with the intent on going all the way back)

(Business/Finance)
    NPR Planet Money
    Motley Fool Money
    Freakonomics Radio
    WNYC RadioLab

(Gaming)
    The Patch
    RPG Cast
    RPG Backtrack (at #28, but listened to about 40 total)

(Hobby)
    Anime Addicts Anonymous (haven't started it)
    Anime Pulse (haven't started it)
    Beer and Battle: A D&D podcast (just started this in the middle to see if it was any good)
    Critical Hit: A D&D podcast (just started this in the middle to see if it was good)
    Thursday Knights (haven't started it yet)

• JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    Just poking around the forums. The topic interest me, as a big backlog person (both in games and podcasts...as well as some other things). I agree that a good podcast player with speed settings help.

Then I saw that you were listening to RPGBacktrack. WOOT! I love RPGBacktrack. And I'm not biased. No siree. I will say that in editing it, at some point I learned to use the filter that kills dead space. In any given hour of normal podcast convo, there's at least 10 minutes of dead space, give or take. My filter eliminates 80% of that.

On top of my podcasts, I recently bought a Humble Bundle of like 7 audio books. So, now, I have an audio book backlog as well, hahahahaha :)
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • KeldarusKeldarus RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    the SGU is fantastic. I think they're super knowledgeable. In terms of podcasts, I listen to a TON, and I'm behind on a TON...
    Anime World Order
    Astronomy Cast
    Behind the Lines (Music)
    Books on the Nightstand
    Career Tools
    A Cast of Kings
    Comedy Button
    Comic Consparicy
    Critic's Carnival (Music)
    European Perspective (Music)
    Experiments in Mass Appeal (Music)
    /Filmcast
    Filmspotting
    Filmspotting SVU
    Game Informer Show
    Geekbox
    Giant Bombcast
    Giant-Bomb Interview Dumptruck
    In-Game Chat
    A Life Well Wasted
    Mailbox (Music)
    Manager Tools
    The Ones Who Knock (Breaking Bad) (3 episodes left)
    Progressive Rock Files (Music)
    Prog'Opolis (Music)
    Retronauts
    RPG Backtrack
    RPGCast
    Science Talk
    Skeptics Guide to the Universe
    Soundchaser (Music)
    Soundscape (Music)
    This Week in Photo
    Tobolowsky Files
    Under the Radar (Music)
    Weekend Confirmed
    World of Adventure (Music)
    8-4 Play

The Music ones are all progressive rock music shows from thedividingline.com Some shows are great, some are meh.. i skip some songs if i don't like it, but the shows are longish 2-4 hours each or more, so I'm behind on almost all of those I'm behind on most of the rest as well, but i listen to the talky ones on double speed with my ipod at work so it does help, but just not enough time to listen to everything.

-Kel
    edited February 2014
    There is a breaking bad podcast? XD I hope it only has good things to say for those of us in Albuquerque!

Plus I have finished episodes 1-35, 50, 61, 63, 66, 71, 76, 97, 100, 102, 104, 109-112.

I have also added Terra and Lightning's RPG Roundup to my list of podcasts. Their first episode is not that bad. I have a good feeling about it so far.

edited March 2014
    I decided to axe all the TWiT network shows from my feeds (This Week in Tech, TWiT Live Specials, Tech News Today, Tech News 2Nite, All About Android, and FrameRate). I don't axe shows/casts often, but in this case I feel better off.

Tech News Today with Tom Merritt is what brought me in to that network, but I really dislike that Leo Laporte fired Tom at the end of 2013. TNT is not really good at all with the new guy. FrameRate was subsequently cancelled. And then I found that TWiT and AAA both felt like more of a chore to watch than they were interesting, especially TWiT, which basically amounted to a bunch of geriatrics complaining about technology and young people for two hours every sunday, with the occasional guests that added very little (more often destracting from the conversation by their mere presence).