If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Play the Lightning Returns Demo Now

OcelotOcelot is not declawedRPGamer Staff
edited January 2014 in Latest Updates
Square Enix is standing behind Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, giving players a chance to sample it before its release. We give the demo positive points for allowing players to try the game, but negative points for failing to feature Fang.

[Xbox Live Silver plebians need not apply]
Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited January 2014
    I downloaded and played this last night. The gameplay is fast, addictive, and it felt like the perfect spot between ARPG and ATB. I ended up playing the demo for 5 hours (only need 30 minutes to beat it), just so I could get this.
    User Database Check
    Current Month and Year: March 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: Climactic Battle
    Number of Spammers banned: An ungodly number
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    DarkRPGMaster said:
    I downloaded and played this last night. The gameplay is fast, addictive, and it felt like the perfect spot between ARPG and ATB. I ended up playing the demo for 5 hours (only need 30 minutes to beat it), just so I could get this.
    This is where you and i differ, I absolutely loathed the demo so much i basically quit after 10 minutes without finishing it, In just the small sample i can tell that the story is going to be terrible just from the ridiculous dialogue. As for the battle system it really is not much different from the first two games it felt mindless to me it was basically attack till atb runs out, defend when attacked, change schema, rinse repeat. It was boring.

btw congrats on the 5 star rating now do it in 17 seconds like some people have been doing
    edited January 2014
    You can move during battle Ancient. It's not fast movement (there may be a way to fix that), but it's still allowing movement in battle. Also, I have no doubts the story will be facepalm inducing at times, but that's merely because of the unnecessary XIII-2, which made the plot horribly convoluted. It's going to take something also convoluted to fix that.
    User Database Check
  • PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    I didn't play the demo long but it seems okay. It might grow more on me though. I'm not sure how I feel about the lack of leveling(unless that's introduced later and I didn't reach it)
  • freykinfreykin Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Whee, I now know what I'm doing later tonight!
  • KiralynKiralyn Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Hmm. Played the demo. Not bad, I guess. Is there any indication that you've earned/gotten/whatever the demo costume DLC, or.....? (I missed out on any post-demo exploring, since right after it said "the demo ends at 6:00, watch the clock", I ran into a story event that ended the demo immediately. I'll try it again sometime, I suppose.)
    edited January 2014
    Just for starting the demo you've unlocked one outfit. By posting your battle score from the boss monster online (need to use the thing in settings to enable twitter or facebook), you unlock another.
    User Database Check
  • KiralynKiralyn Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    DarkRPGMaster said:
    By posting your battle score from the boss monster online (need to use the thing in settings to enable twitter or facebook), you unlock another.
    Booooooo.

I don't do those things. :P
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited January 2014
    I played it and finished it. I didn't hate what I played, but it wasn't enough to make me go and buy the game. I'd play it if it was on PS+.
  • ironmageironmage chaotic neutral observer SaskatoonFull Members
    edited January 2014
    The battle system has potential, but there isn't really enough there for me to base a judgement on. Unless the challenge increases later on, I can see it getting repetitive.

The writing, though...ugh. It's starting out just as bad as 13-2. It's a example of what happens when a writer overestimates their ability, and takes themselves too seriously. I'm not sure if I could sit through more than a couple hours of that.

This is definitely not preorder material. But if it doesn't review too badly, maybe I'll consider picking it up when the price drops to $20.
    Only the livin' have the privilege of sayin' they'll fight ta the last breath.
    And words like conviction and resolve don't mean much to a dead man...
    --Raven (Tales of Vesperia)
    edited January 2014
    I hope you mean a RPGamer review, because I don't think paid reviewers have been trustworthy for a long time.
    User Database Check
  • freykinfreykin Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    I enjoyed the demo, short as it was. I like the combat system, and while the story did feel weird, I have no clue where in the storyline that snippet is from. I do think the story for this set of FF games has been on the weaker side, but overall I feel they've been worth my time, and from what I saw in this demo that looks to continue with this one.

For the garbs you can get from the demo, is it anything besides looks? I couldn't tell since you can't customize them in the demo. I didn't realize you get one from sharing stuff on social media, and I tend to avoid doing that, so if it's just an aesthetic thing I won't go back and do so.
  • AngelonightAngelonight Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Did anyone else get an almost Valkyrie Profile feel from not only Lightning but the combat? I know it's just wish full thinking but Lightning seems to have a Leneth complex and really that is the dest way to describe her look and combat. Over all not disappointed in the demo. Looking forward to it.
    Kain: "Conscience...? You dare speak to me of conscience? Only when you have felt the full gravity of choice should you dare to question my judgment!"
    edited January 2014
    freykin said:
    For the garbs you can get from the demo, is it anything besides looks? I couldn't tell since you can't customize them in the demo. I didn't realize you get one from sharing stuff on social media, and I tend to avoid doing that, so if it's just an aesthetic thing I won't go back and do so.
    You can change the abilities on the garbs, the weapon each one uses (for that type), and I think the stat bonuses too. You can only do the first one for the demo though, I had the Dragoon using Froststrike for a while there, and the Black Mage using DeProtect.
    Angelonight said:
    Did anyone else get an almost Valkyrie Profile feel from not only Lightning but the combat? I know it's just wish full thinking but Lightning seems to have a Leneth complex and really that is the dest way to describe her look and combat. Over all not disappointed in the demo. Looking forward to it.
    Isn't Tri-Ace helping again here, like they did with FFXIII-2? If so, that COULD explain the similarities.
    User Database Check
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2014
    I really enjoyed the combat but, dear lord what is that story.
    DarkRPGMaster said:
    Isn't Tri-Ace helping again here, like they did with FFXIII-2? If so, that COULD explain the similarities.
    They're only helping with graphic work
    edited January 2014
    I'm still trying to figure out just how convoluting an already convoluted story manages to make sense of it. It's bizarre...
    User Database Check
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    I won't be touching this game, ever.

However! If you're like me, or just have been scared off by the demo, do still consider purchasing the soundtrack. It's excellent. Masashi Hamauzu produces exceptional work as usual; Mitsuto Suzuki has developed quickly and with great flair over the course of the XIII saga; and Naoshi Mizuta is seriously in the running for next main FF composer. If Hamauzu isn't brought back for XVI, it ought to be Mizuta. Between FF Gaiden, Dimensions, and XIII-2/3, he absolutely has proven he deserves it.
  • TyphaonTyphaon Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Honestly I just skipped the story scenes. I did however like the battle system quite a bit.
    What I have seen and done to achieve my position defies belief. What I am capable of and will be party to in order to retain it would chill your soul.
  • PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Typhaon said:
    Honestly I just skipped the story scenes.
    I always do that with demos, same thing with this one.
  • RockkoRockko Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Typhaon said:
    Honestly I just skipped the story scenes. I did however like the battle system quite a bit.
    Pimpalicious said:
    I always do that with demos, same thing with this one.

Also here.
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited January 2014
    Tried it, very "meh". I also did get a Valkyrie Profile vibe from it - that's because they are trying to make the characters into myths rather than people. Hence the "living for centuries", "end of the world", etc. Squeenix has proven it knows nothing whatsoever about character; they think that in every sequel or spinoff they can just recreate their characters as completely different personalities and no one would notice. FF13 worked because the main characters were people; in both FF13-2 and LR they seem to be legends, and legends are not interesting.

The battle system seemed both too crazy and too boring at the same time, hard as that seems. And I was turned off by the huge amount of customization possible - I've played a few games where they try to give you too much freedom and end up hamstringing you. It seems like they wanted to inject "job system!" into the paradigm shift system and ended up with a mutated hybrid which is more confusing than either.

I still might pick it up if I finish everything else I want to play, but I doubt it'll be a first-day purchase.