If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGamer Mailbag presents: Final Fantasy Opened Mind Second Chance

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
edited May 2014 in Role Playing Games
What is this? A contest, or more aptly named ADVENTURE where you replay your most hated/least favorite Final Fantasy game with an open mind and then write in your experiences to the RPGamer Mailbag, where I'll be sharing my own experiences as well.

When does this run? From now until the end of April, but it will be extended if a lot of people are still trying to finish.

Is there a prize? Yeah, I'll buy one random participant an RPG of their choice from this year.

How will the winner be selected? I'll create bots in Unreal Tournament 3 with all your names and see who comes out the winner.

Are there rules? Somewhat. You really need to take the FF game on its own terms and truly give it a second chance, which means I'll promptly bin any entries along the likes of "OMG FFXIII's LINEARITY IS AWFUL STILL", "IF ONLY FFXI WEREN'T AN MMO", etc. I want people to really give these games a second chance, as I'll be doing. You are welcome to substitute your #1 most hated for your 2nd or 3rd if there's a particular reason you don't want to play your most hated. For example, if you really don't want to pay for XI's monthly fee. This is for main series titles, but I will allow the following offshoots:

These direct sequels: The After Years, X-2, XIII-2 (too early for Lightning Returns).
Final Fantasy Tactics (if you hate it for some bizarre reason).
Final Fantasy Type-0
Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light
Final Fantasy Dimensions
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

That's it, fire up an FF and (hopefully) have some fun. When complete you should email me your writeup for the rpgamer mailbag at [EMAIL="wheels@rpgamer.com"]wheels@rpgamer.com[/EMAIL] or in the RPGamer Mailbag thread.

GOOD LUCK!

Comments

• NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    There is a part of me that wants to take part in this and give FFX a try again. I couldn't get into it, X-2 OR XII. I also have XIII-2 which I grabbed back when it was less than ten bucks on PSN and I wasn't planning on playing it until I saw the FF13 recap and laughed my head off over how stupid the plot of XIII-2 seemed. My only issue may be not being able to start right away since I am drowning in tests! (Reading week is next week. Yay week off!)
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    Hey you can't give XIII-2 a second chance if you haven't already suffered through it once :P
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    I suffered through it via videos and all the staff's whining and complaints. I THINK IT COUNTS.
    edited February 2014
    Nyx said:
    I suffered through it via videos and all the staff's whining and complaints. I THINK IT COUNTS.
    Well you aren't eligible for the prize anyway so OK.

As for myself, I'll be replaying FFI PS1 (the closest version I think to the original NES game which I refuse to play given how slow the battles are, I liked the PSP/GBA versions just fine), FFX-2, and XIII-2 time permitting.
  • redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    edited February 2014
    If I didn't have so many other games on the burner right now, I'd go back and play FFII again. Wait, no I wouldn't. Why would I do that to myself? Because, MAN, did that game suck.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited February 2014
    I did a back and forth with Wheels the other day. FF7 and FFX were my least favorites by a long shot, but I only played FFX about two years ago for the first time, and I've actually already tried this with FF7 (and decided I hated it even more afterwards). So I'll be playing FF2. I didn't hate the game, but I was mostly neutral on it. However its probably the "most negative" opinion on an FF game that I haven't played in a significant amount of time (and it tends to be pretty hated among the general populous). I'll be playing the Android version. The last time I played it was probably the FF Origins PSX version when it came out.
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    I'd join this, if it were not for the fact that my most hated is FF12, and that game is just too long to replay on a whim.

Hmm.... Does it count if I simply didn't enjoy the opening part of Final Fantasy Dimensions, but never gave the rest of the game a try (because it cost a decent amount of money and I didn't think it was worth it after that bad opening)?
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops Member HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    Ok, so after thinking on this a bit I decided I should try something. I'm never going to be able to beat FF1 because I find the game excruciatingly slow and boring, and I don't want to play FF3 again because that final dungeon ruined an otherwise forgettable and joyless adventure. But there is one game that could qualify for this. A game I started and stopped without really giving it the chance to maybe be more fun for me. So, I will try to beat Final Fantasy 13. I will try my darnedest to enjoy something in the game.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited February 2014
    lolwhoops said:
    Ok, so after thinking on this a bit I decided I should try something. I'm never going to be able to beat FF1 because I find the game excruciatingly slow and boring, and I don't want to play FF3 again because that final dungeon ruined an otherwise forgettable and joyless adventure. But there is one game that could qualify for this. A game I started and stopped without really giving it the chance to maybe be more fun for me. So, I will try to beat Final Fantasy 13. I will try my darnedest to enjoy something in the game.
    I highly recommend the PSP version of FF1, though sadly it's not on PSN. :(
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited February 2014
    Nyx said:
    It counts, but I don't think the staff complained TOO much about XIII-2. It was just that the story was even dumber. Not a bad game, though.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited February 2014
    I actually own the FF1 PSP version. It's the last one I tried to play. It was like $7 at the time, so I was tricked by the cheap price. It looks nice, but it's just a dreadful experience. I can see why the game might have been awesome in the 80's, but I'm one of those people that find it hard to go back to the archaic.
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Hmm...I dunno about replaying FF2, but I was thinking of going back and giving Jade Empire another shot. Seems like it has more upside.

Does Mystic Quest count?
    edited February 2014
    TG Barighm said:
    Hmm...I dunno about replaying FF2, but I was thinking of going back and giving Jade Empire another shot. Seems like it has more upside.

Does Mystic Quest count?
    Yes it does. Adding it to the approved list of non-main games.
    edited February 2014
    Can I get a UT3 bot even if I don't participate? :P
  • redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    edited February 2014
    No takers on FFVIII yet? I enjoyed all the window dressing for that game, but it was probably my least favorite battle system aside from FFII. I hated how the junction system made every character essentially the same. I hated how special attacks were tied to HP or Aura spells, instead of charging up like in VII. I hated that I had to spend 10 minutes on a single battle just to draw spells. Lots of wasted potential on that one.
  • ShinseitoriShinseitori Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Hmm, interesting. It would be Final Fantasy IX for me, and I even know where my discs are. Can I gussy up the graphics in an emulator or do I need to have an "authentic retro experience?"
    Rise!
    edited February 2014
    Wheels said:
    Yes it does. Adding it to the approved list of non-main games.
    NOPE you gotta earn it! :P
    redwing42 said:
    No takers on FFVIII yet? I enjoyed all the window dressing for that game, but it was probably my least favorite battle system aside from FFII. I hated how the junction system made every character essentially the same. I hated how special attacks were tied to HP or Aura spells, instead of charging up like in VII. I hated that I had to spend 10 minutes on a single battle just to draw spells. Lots of wasted potential on that one.
    Multiple have, but there's no limit to how many can take which so feel free.
    Shinseitori said:
    Hmm, interesting. It would be Final Fantasy IX for me, and I even know where my discs are. Can I gussy up the graphics in an emulator or do I need to have an "authentic retro experience?"
    You're more than welcome to play it in an emulator.
  • ClixClix Never Google Image Search Full Members
    edited February 2014
    You can't pay me to replay FFIII. No one can pay me to do that again. It is the only one I hate. I was mostly disappointed or frustrated with IV, X, XI, and XIII. Only III found a way to permanently earn the bottom tier slot in my rankings.

Also, for those considering replaying FFII, try it with some guides that explain the hidden stat mechanics. It becomes a lot more fun when you know how to manipulate every single action to your advantage.
    edited February 2014
    I actually found FF2 to be a lot of fun because of the way the stat increasing works. Also, FF8 was my first PS FF game, but I actually really like it. I can see why people wouldn't, but at one point I was a Zell master and could put out damage from his limit more than any other character, including the lionheart. I'm at the end of FF9 and my suggestion for that game, if you don't quite enjoy it, is to play it on the PSP and play while watching Netflix. Grinding sessions lose their chore when they're merely hand exercises whilst watching something.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, I'm actually thinking my opinion of FF2 will markedly improve. I know that the stat system is mostly a hack job, and I think that coming back to that story and giving me a refresher on it would be great, since its the story I remember the least at this point. Like I said before, I didn't actually dislike the game, I just can't bring myself to ever play the two I hate the most again, especially since I tried this before with one and played the other recently.
  • Zeboyd GamesZeboyd Games Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    What's the deadline?

Also wondering if you have to start the game over or if you can just continue from your most recent save. FF13 is probably my most disliked FF (with FF8 in a close second) and I really don't want to start from the beginning, but I'd be willing to go ahead and try to finish it (my most recent save is chapter 9 or 10, I think).
    Check out our new XBox 360 Indie RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World, at http://zeboyd.com or follow us on twitter (username: werezompire) for the latest news.
    edited February 2014
    Zeboyd Games said:
    What's the deadline?

Also wondering if you have to start the game over or if you can just continue from your most recent save. FF13 is probably my most disliked FF (with FF8 in a close second) and I really don't want to start from the beginning, but I'd be willing to go ahead and try to finish it (my most recent save is chapter 9 or 10, I think).
    End of April is the deadline, and you're more than welcome to start with that most recent save
    edited February 2014
    so, should we have a thread where people talk about their journey through their FF game of choice? Maybe we talk in here? Any ideas?
    edited February 2014
    My journey has stalled. The pacing in FF9 is as bad (if not worse) than I remember. Thanks for the distant deadline, I may just make it.
    Rise!
    edited February 2014
    End of April is the deadline, and you're more than welcome to start with that most recent save
    Oh, that helps. I think I left off at the beast's stomach in FF2, although between ESO, The Old Republic, Path of Exile, and Dragon's Dogma, I doubt I'll find the time to get around to it.

Be sure to record that UT game so we can watch the bots murder eachother, heh.
  • LassicLassic Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    I don't know if I want to replay one of my least favorite Final Fantasies (I, II and XIII).

If that should ever happen it probably would be II because that's the only one in my collection that remains unbeaten: the leveling system is just that bad and seemingly random.
    edited February 2014
    lolwhoops said:
    so, should we have a thread where people talk about their journey through their FF game of choice? Maybe we talk in here? Any ideas?
    It's fine to talk here, I don't mind scanning through if anyone has more questions.

Just a note about the deadline again: I'll happily move it out if many are struggling to finish so don't rush yourselves.
    edited March 2014
    End of April works for me. I will either decide to finish it and do so or not by then.

But not now. Oh, not now. FF6 (iOS) and Banished (PC) are devouring my soul at present.
    Rise!
  • SweetieAsheSweetieAshe qt = π Full Members
    edited March 2014
    Think I already mentioned on Twitter I'm planning on doing FF8 for this...

But that's only because a) it's one of the few I've finished ONCE, b) it's my least favorite out of a favorite series, and c) ... I'd do FF13, but I've actually finished that game three times over. Long story... Has to do with dying and replacing systems. 'Cause honestly...? Out of the "universally" hated games in the series, I like FF2 (and can also break it over my knee), I really enjoyed FF3, though I didn't ENJOY FF12 I didn't dislike it either...

You know? With just general gut feeling, I think I dislike FF12 more than FF8! So... I might do that instead? SOMEONE FLIP A COPY OF SUPER MARIO ADVANCE 3: YOSHI'S ISLAND FOR ME.
    Currently Playing: ​Tales of the Abyss (3DS), Tales of Graces f (PS3), Final Fantasy X HD Remaster (PS3)
    "I blame myself for underestimating the beast that is sex appeal..." - Agn
    edited March 2014
    SweetieAshe said:
    Think I already mentioned on Twitter I'm planning on doing FF8 for this...

But that's only because a) it's one of the few I've finished ONCE, b) it's my least favorite out of a favorite series, and c) ... I'd do FF13, but I've actually finished that game three times over. Long story... Has to do with dying and replacing systems. 'Cause honestly...? Out of the "universally" hated games in the series, I like FF2 (and can also break it over my knee), I really enjoyed FF3, though I didn't ENJOY FF12 I didn't dislike it either...

You know? With just general gut feeling, I think I dislike FF12 more than FF8! So... I might do that instead? SOMEONE FLIP A COPY OF SUPER MARIO ADVANCE 3: YOSHI'S ISLAND FOR ME.
    There really isn't any universally hated game in the series, 2 and 3 have always had their fans.