If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGamer Mailbag presents: Final Fantasy Opened Mind Second Chance

124»

Comments

• ShinseitoriShinseitori Member Full Members
    edited April 2014
    Don't think I'm making it, even with the extended deadline. A week ago I hit another Game Over on a boss with no prior save point and I'm still irritated. I think this is also a sign that I shouldn't try replaying any of the first three games in the series anytime soon.
    Rise!
  • RewindRewind Member Full Members
    edited April 2014
    lolwhoops wrote: »
    I've done some quests in this tower in FF13. All my characters are done their main jobs to max level currently, which means battles just feel pointless even though they're everywhere. The only times I've had fun in this game so far are the times I can just fight and get stronger. It's surprisingly fun when you don't have to pay attention to the story and can just fight and run around. Unfortunately they want to cap you and give you tiny bits every so often. Combine that with my issues with AI (seriously Lightning, this guy halves physical attacks and you don't even have bravery on! Why are you using aquastrike instead of just water?) and I think you can imagine how my final opinion is going to end.

Maybe I'll be surprised, but at this rate I'm fairly certain I won't feel better for having actually played this game.

The AI chooses attack type based on your stats. Chances are she's using strikes because her strength is greater than magic (or roughly equal).
    PSN: TLDragoon
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    edited April 2014
    yeah, people say that, but it's not true. When you consider roughly 1100 strength and magic, then I put only faith on her, her magic attacks would do more damage. Doesn't change her AI choices. In fact, while using Sazh and having 700 magic and 400 strength the AI would regularly give me a mix of strikes and magic when I tried using Auto which runs off the same AI move selection as party members.

I think the idea was that it was SUPPOSED to work that way, that they factor in their own stats and the enemies' weaknesses (after libra) but 70 hours of it not doing that prove that they didn't achieve that goal.

Also, I beat it. Where should I send my opinion on it for this? I can spoil it a bit for you and say it's not my least favourite FF I've finished, but I also didn't have more than like 5 or 6 hours of fun in a 70 hour game.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2014
    Instructions in the first post, but probably worth quoting as a reminder :)
    When complete you should email me your writeup for the rpgamer mailbag at wheels@rpgamer.com or in the RPGamer Mailbag thread.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2014
    So I set May15 as the end date thinking I'd get some of the writeups in to the Mailbag the next day, but that seems unrealistic, so let's just say the end date is the 18th so ya'll have until the end of that weekend.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • KaiserKaiser A smooth flow of thought Full Members
    edited May 2014
    hmm, my last save was on the Gran Pulse temple in XIII when I stopped playing it, so I think finishing that might not even be that painful now.
    I really liked XIII-2 though (and the other FF games beside XIII that i played. I just stopped bothering with the optional grindy sidequests in 10 and beyond)
    Trance Radiance Infinity

edited May 2014
    So the deadline passed and I only have one entry. I guess I'll be extending the deadline until the end of May? Everyone get distracted from FFs?
    sig.gif
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    edited May 2014
    i threw out my (old ratty) couch to prepare for moving, so now I can't spend the day laid back on the computer. That's my excuse. I'll send an email here tonight before I get lazy and play Diablo 3 for another 3 days.

edit: just sent the email. hopefully it explains my thoughts well enough.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
    edited May 2014
    Reminder: saturday is the last day for entries
    sig.gif