If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Atlus Brings Out Some Classics

OcelotOcelot is not declawedRPGamer Staff
edited March 2014 in Latest Updates
Atlus has been busy this week. Not only is it bringing us a bunch of new games, we've learned that it's also making some rare old games available in the near future.

(No, Eternal Punishment PSP is not one of those old games, sorry!)
Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Comments

  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited February 2014
    HERITAGE OF WAR!? MY BODY IS READY...mostly because it's the last Growlanser game I need to have a full collection of them that have been localized.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited February 2014
    I'm hoping that SMT1 gets an android port.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited February 2014
    I wish Atlus had gotten the rights to Growlanser Generations so that I could get it as a PS2 classic. That would be wonderful. Generations of War was sort of meh.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited February 2014
    Frozenbabylon said:
    I wish Atlus had gotten the rights to Growlanser Generations so that I could get it as a PS2 classic. That would be wonderful. Generations of War was sort of meh.
    Generations of War is what got me into Growlanser, ironically.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    Ocelot said:


    (No, Eternal Punishment PSP is not one of those old games, sorry!)
    At the rate Atlus is going, I wouldn't be surprised to see Eternal Punishment and the first Devil Summoner appear eventually.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited February 2014
    DarkRPGMaster said:
    Generations of War is what got me into Growlanser, ironically.
    Oh, Don't get me wrong. It's a good game. I just didn't like it as much as the third game, The Dual Darkness.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Localizing Shin Megami Tensei after all these years is huge. I hear the iOS version is based on the GBA port; does anyone know what enhancements were made to that version beyond the graphics? I know they fixed the map rotation issue but that's about it. Hope they didn't dumb down the difficulty, since that's the main reason the SNES games are still kind of compelling.
  • freykinfreykin Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    I wish that was 2-3 instead of 5 in the Growlanser series showing up there, as I never finished the 3rd one due to my disc getting damaged. Excited about SMT though!
  • JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    The fan translations of the old SMT were actually pretty decent, considering how translations in the SNES days were typically (and yes, I actually bought the Super Famicom versions).

    I guess a glossy remake that would look good on an ipad, etc. is a bit too much to hope for, but I'd be concerned if I were them that a mobile or GBA port wouldn't hold much appeal given the age, and relative comparison with something like an emulated version.

    Heritage of War is more intriguing. I have Generations, but Heritage of War was off my radar at the time I guess.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2014
    Drav said:
    Localizing Shin Megami Tensei after all these years is huge. I hear the iOS version is based on the GBA port; does anyone know what enhancements were made to that version beyond the graphics? I know they fixed the map rotation issue but that's about it. Hope they didn't dumb down the difficulty, since that's the main reason the SNES games are still kind of compelling.
    I've been wanting to try the GBA port ever since my SFC died on me, but last I checked it still cost almost $100. O_O; Makes me wish I'd picked it up while it was still in stores, back in 2006...
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Jitawa said:

    I guess a glossy remake that would look good on an ipad, etc. is a bit too much to hope for, but I'd be concerned if I were them that a mobile or GBA port wouldn't hold much appeal given the age, and relative comparison with something like an emulated version.
    The relative size of the buttons to the screen in that trailer seem to indicate that iPhone is the recommended platform.

    Although it would be great if someone would release some kind of controller peripheral to attach to iPhones via bluetooth or whatever, because that control setup looks awkward as anything.
  • JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    edited February 2014
    Drav said:
    The relative size of the buttons to the screen in that trailer seem to indicate that iPhone is the recommended platform.

    Although it would be great if someone would release some kind of controller peripheral to attach to iPhones via bluetooth or whatever, because that control setup looks awkward as anything.
    I'm not a big fan of jamming my thumbs on a screen I'm looking at, even if it's as large as an ipad. That said, I think they already make little brackets that attach your phone and a controller together (I've seen people use PS3 controllers and the like). The resolution of the mobile version is probably not super. The other releases (Playstation, Turbo CD, Mega CD) weren't 10 times better graphically either, mind you.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited February 2014
    I was thinking more along the lines of a brace with buttons, so you could hold it like a PSP.
  • daveyddaveyd Member Full Members
    edited March 2014
    Well, just found out that Growlanser: Heritage of War is now available on the PSN. http://us.playstation.com/games/growlanser-heritage-of-war-ps3.html I'll definitely be getting it.
    Currently playing: The Shadow Sun (Android), Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut (PC)

    Currently backing on IndieGogo / Kickstarter: Icy: A post-apocalyptic RPG

    Dungeons of Aledorn

    Seven Dragon Saga
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited March 2014
    ^might check it out, although I have heard/read it's the worst game in the series.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited March 2014
    Nim said:
    ^might check it out, although I have heard/read it's the worst game in the series.
    It has its...problems, to say it lightly. One being in the skill system. But the story is worthy of the Growlanser name IMO.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
Sign In or Register to comment.