If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

An Indecisive Pokemon Playthrough

omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know?RPGamer Staff
edited November 2014 in Staff Review Blogs
Partly inspired by Twitch Plays Pokemon, and partly by the classic Nuzlocke Challenge, I've decided to, in the spare time I have between games, work through a Pokemon X playthrough with an imposed set of rules designed to make the game much more random and silly. I'll post updates at the end of every town/route/gym battle to let everyone know how it's progressing. It should be a lot of fun, especially with the rules I've devised. The point of the rules is to make the game as random and chaotic as it can possibly be, while at the same time forcing the use of as many different kinds of pokemon as possible. So here are the rules (and feel free to try your own playthrough or suggest addendums to the rules if you like):

Rule 1: If you meet a wild pokemon that you have not caught (ie. you do not have a pokedex entry for it), you MUST catch it.

Rule 2: If you catch a new pokemon, it will replace the oldest pokemon in your party as soon as possible without backtracking.

Rule 3: Retired pokemon must be released into the wild.

Rule 4: If you fail to catch a pokemon for any reason (ie. it runs away, you defeat it by accident, or you run out of pokeballs), you're not off the hook! The party MUST change, and you MUST Wonder Trade the oldest pokemon in your party and use whatever you receive as its replacement.

Rule 5: All pokemon must be given nicknames determined by randomly selecting a word out of the dictionary. (I will be using the random word function at http://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary)

Rule 6: Super Training is NOT allowed.

Rule 7: All battles must be fought. Running is not permitted.

Rule 8: Resetting is not allowed. If you black out, you black out. If you defeat a legendary, it's gone (and you'll be Wonder Trading.)

Rule 9: Repels are not to be used.

Rule 10: If, by some miracle, you encounter a shiny, it MUST be caught, regardless of whether you've caught one of its species before or not. The shiny pokemon must then be Wonder Traded, and the received pokemon must join your party.

The game begins tomorrow!
God's Final Message to His creation, written in thirty-foot high letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains:
We Apologize for the Inconvenience

Comments

• omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2014
    Episode 1: How are these separate towns?

My name is Opportune, but my friends call me Mirage. Don't ask me why, that's just how it is.

My journey began in Vaniville town and immediately involved traveling along Route 1 to Aquacorde town to get my first pokemon. How are these two separate towns? Seriously, they are literally right next to each other. There's a fence and an alley separating them.

Once I got there, I received my first pokemon from a bunch of weird kids. I got a Chespin named Celebration! We did battle with some girl named Shauna. She looked at me kinda funny. I have a bad feeling about this.

After the battle, I went back to Vaniville town to say goodbye to mom. Then, after stocking up on pokeballs in Aquacorde, I set out to Route 2 to start my adventure!

Along Route 2, I found and caught a Pidgey named Skein! Soon afterwards, I found myself at the entrance to Santalune Forest. It's really dark in there. Also, that girl Shauna started following me. I knew she was going to be trouble.

In Santalune Forest I met all kinds of pokemon trainers and had lots of battles. I also met and caught a whole bunch of new pokemon. First there was the Caterpie, Corporation, and next there was the Pansear, Hustle. Finally, I met a Pikachu named Dawdle. I actually met a whole lot of Pikachu in that forest. I could feel them watching me. Very creepy.

Just before I left Santalune Forest for Route 3, Corporation evolved into Metapod!

Route 3 was pretty uneventful, but I did fight a few battles. By the time I got to Santalune City, this was my team:

Celebration the Chespin(M) - Level 7
    Skein the Pidgey(M) - Level 6
    Corporation the Metapod(M) - Level 7
    Hustle the Pansear(M) - Level 7
    Dawdle the Pikachu(M) - Level 8

Episode 2: The Bug Badge!

After looking around Santalune city, I took a quick detour down Route 22 to battle some more trainers. After that, it was off to the Santalune City gym to fight Viola, the gym leader.

The first match saw Dawdle the Pikachu go up against her Surskit. That Infestation move of hers sapped a lot of Dawdle's health, but he took her down in the end.

The next matchup was Skein the Pidgey against Viola's Vivillon. Skein almost had it, but eventually the Infestation took him down, but not before knocking Vivillon down to the red.

To finish it off, I sent in Corporation the Metapod, because let's face it: nothing is more embarrassing than losing to a Metapod. A tackle was all it took to finish it off and win a bug badge. On top of that, Corporation evolved into Butterfree!

Bug Badge in hand, I headed off to Route 4, where Viola's sister gave me an Exp. Share. I'm sure that'll come in handy.

Episode 3: More Bugs!

Route 4 has a lot of gardens in it, and a lot of trainers. I fought a whole bunch of them and caught a couple of new Pokemon. There's Abide the Ledyba(F) and Karma the Combee(M)! I didn't have room in my party for all my new friends, so I told Celebration the Chespin to take a hike. I was getting sick of him anyways.

Lumiose City is right ahead. Right now, my party looks like this:

Skein the Pidgey(M) - Level 13
    Corporation the Butterfree(M) - Level 12
    Hustle the Pansear(M) - Level 11
    Dawdle the Pikachu(M) - Level 12
    Abide the Ledyba(F) - Level 12
    Karma the Combee(M) - Level 11

Episode 4: Who Are These People???

In Lumiose City, I met a so-called Professor named Sycamore. He attacked me, but I managed to beat him. Then I stole his Squirtle. It was a bit damaged, so I named it Damaged the Squirtle(M). I had to say goodbye to Skein the Pidgey to make room for him.

While in Lumiose City, some girl wanted to talk to me in a cafe. I thought she wanted to go on a date or something, but she just went on and on about wanting to beat me. I think she might be into S&M or something. Weeeeeeeeird. Anyway, I needed a haircut, so I got one, and then headed on for Route 5.

While on Route 5, I fought a lot of trainers and met a whole bunch of new friends. First I caught a Furfrou(M) named Eventual. I sent Corporation Butterfree away, because he had started charging me for his services. Screw that noise. Then I encountered a whole horde of Gulpin! I beat them all up, but I managed to catch one, which I named Menace the Gulpin(M). Obviously, Hustle the Pansear had to go. Finally, I caught myself a Bunnelby(F) named Cherub. Dawdle the Pikachu said goodbye as well.

At that point, I recalled some dude in Santalune city who said he wanted a Bunnelby for some reason, so I made a detour back to his house and traded for his Farfetch'd, Quacklin'!

I returned to Route 5 where some dancing kid challenged me to battle. All he had was a lame Crawdaunt. Psh. I've thrown away more Pokemon than that. I beat him up and moved on.

A little while later I caught myself a Skiddo(F) named Mimic! Abide the Ledyba was tossed aside, but frankly I think it was a good trade-off.

Camphrier Town is right ahead. Wonder what I'll find here?

Current team:

Karma the Combee(M) - Level 16
    Damaged the Squirtle(M) - Level 15
    Eventual the Furfrou(M) - Level 11
    Menace the Gulpin(M) - Level 12
    Quacklin' the Farfetch'd(M) - Level 15
    Mimic the Skiddo(F) - Level 10

Episode 5: Parfuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum

Okay, so, Camphrier Town is a dive. What a total waste of space this town is. The only thing here that doesn't suck is this big ol' castle they got at the north end of town, and it's totally empty! I mean, what the hell? So dull. I got out of there as quick as I could, but not before that weird girl Shauna showed up and started following me again. What's her deal?

I headed towards Route 7, but the way was blocked by this fat-*** Snorlax sleeping in the middle of the road. I could have just smacked it around a bit and thrown a pokeball, but nooooo. These old guys insisted we had to wake it up first with something called a PokeFlute, and worse, they made me go get it for them! Talk about lazy!

So I went back down Route 7 and took the fork to Route 6, which lead to this huge mansion called Parfum Palace. It smelt awful, but I went inside. I wasn't going to be getting anywhere without that PokeFlute, so I went to find the owner. Apparently he'd lost his Furfrou and wasn't talking to anybody until he found it. But would he, you know, go look for it? Oh no. Once again, I had to take on the job. God, why are grown-ups so damn lazy? I even offered him Eventual, but he just wouldn't bite.

The palace was huge. Like, way too huge. A dumb kind of huge, especially the back yard. Who needs this much space? Sheesh. Anyways, I found the stupid Furfrou in the garden out back and I forced it into a corner before dragging it back to its owner. But would he just hand over the damn flute? Noooooo, he had to put on this big fireworks display first. Hey Genius! Maybe if you didn't go exploding things all the time, your damn pokemon wouldn't run away.

That Shauna girl INSISTED we watch the fireworks together, and she was getting all flirty again. Seriously, WHAT. IS. HER. DEAL??? She's, like, 7 years old.

The rich guy finally forked over the PokeFlute, so I high-tailed it out of there and back to Route 7. It wasn't a complete waste of time, though; I did find an HM01 in the garden which I nicked for myself, and Damaged the Squirtle evolved into Wartortle.

Once I got back to the Snorlax with the PokeFlute, the grown-ups played it and woke the damn thing up. And GUESS WHAT HAPPENED. I beat it up, threw a pokeball at it, and caught it. Vessel the Snorlax(M). I could have done that when it was sleeping. Ugh! At least I got that lame Karma the Combee out of my party.

Anyways, I think I see a building a little ways down the road. Let's check it out.

Current Team:

Damaged the Wartortle(M) - Level 18
    Eventual the Furfrou(M) - Level 16
    Menace the Gulpin(M) - Level 17
    Quacklin' the Farfetch'd(M) - Level 21
    Mimic the Skiddo(F) - Level 16
    Vessel the Snorlax(M) - Level 15

Episode 6: PokeLovin'

So that building on Route 7? Turned out to be some sort of Pokemon Daycare. They offered to raise my Pokemon for me, if I paid them. Psh, nuts to that.

Route 7 netted me a couple of new buddies. First up was a Croagunk(M) named Statutory, and after that I met a Flabebe(F) named Unruly! I told Damaged the Wartortle and Eventual the Froufrou to hit the road and added them to my team.

A ways down the road that S&M chick forced me to battle with her against the dancing kid and the wimp. I could have taken all three of them on, probably; her Fletchling was completely useless. I had Vessel sit on all their Pokemon and they gave up pretty quick.

Further on, I cave to a cave that connected to Route 8 and Ambrette Town. It was called Connecting Cave. Wow. Real original. While I was working my way through the cave, I caught a Whismur named Ceremony! So long, Menace the Gulpin!

Route 8 was pretty uneventful, though I did find a leaf stone. That could come in handy eventually. Now I'm in Ambrette Town, and there's some sort of local to do about Pokemon Fossils. Wonder what it's all about?

Current Team:

Quacklin' the Farfetch'd(M) - Level 23
    Mimic the Skiddo(F) - Level 18
    Vessel the Snorlax(M) - Level 17
    Statutory the Croagunk(M) - Level 15
    Unruly the Flabebe(F) - Level 13
    Ceremony the Whismur(M) - Level 13

Episode 7: PokePalooza!

Ambrette Town is small, but it's got a cool aquarium where some due gave me an old fishing rod. There's also a Pokemon Fossil lab! S&M girl met me again and forced me to come with her to the lab, but the guy in charge wasn't there. She dragged me down to some cave past Route 9 in order to find him.

Route 9 and the Glittering Cave was a veritable PokePalooza! I made so many new friends and discarded so many old ones, it was a great time. First I met a Hippopotas(F) named Superimpose, and then a Sandile(F) named Teem! When I reached the cave, there were a whole bunch of other Pokemon waiting for me. There was Appalled the Onix(M), Character the Lunatone, and Gauge the Machop(F)! After that I met a Dwebble, but my idiot pokemon went and killed it. So frustrated was I that I traded Unruly the Flabebe to the first person I met. I got a [TBD - Server Down for Maintenance] in return!

I met another Dwebble after that, and my pokemon were sure to not make the same mistake. This time I caught it and named it Tremble the Dwebble(F). I also ran into these weird guys in ugly red suits that called themselves Team Flare. They were very flamboyant, and challenged me to battle. I beat them easily. We found the Fossil Lab guy deep inside the cave, and he gave me a Jaw Fossil. Cool!

On my way back out of the cave, I caught a Woobat(F) named Cater, and on Route 9 I caught a Helioptile(F) named Vend. Once I got back to Ambrette Town, I had the Pokemon guys revive the Jaw fossil into a Tyrunt(M) for me. It's just called Tyrunt - it was too badass for me to give it a name.

I guess I head north up the coast from here. I wonder what I'll find next?

Current Team:

Gauge the Machop(F) - Level 16
    ???? - TBD once the servers are up again
    Tremble the Dwebble(F) - Level 15
    Cater the Woodbat(F) - Level 17
    Vend the Helioptile(F) - Level 15
    Tyrunt the Tyrunt(M) - Level 20
    God's Final Message to His creation, written in thirty-foot high letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains:
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    edited March 2014
    Wow it's gonna be hard, as soon as you meet 6 new pok
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2014
    On the plus (?) side, while there are a lot of pokemon in each area, the odds of meeting all of them in one walk through is low. Since he's not repeating areas unless necessary, and he doesn't have to not avoid the high grass when possible, it won't be completely insane.

Just marginally insane.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited March 2014
    The"having to fight all battles" thing might make things a bit easier, since you'll have to be leveling up Pokemon constantly anyway.

This sounds very interesting. I'll be keeping an eye on this.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2014
    Pokemon X/Y are easy enough that these rules won't make things too awful. Just do yourself a favour and don't turn off exp share. :)
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
    edited March 2014
    Well, I've made it to Santalune City. Only 5 Pokemon so far, so nothing exciting yet.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited March 2014
    As someone who plays by "everything must be caught on a route to proceed" rules, I can't wait to see what happens when you start getting into the Horde battles. Route 8 is gonna drive you nuts.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
    edited March 2014
    Shaymin wrote: »
    As someone who plays by "everything must be caught on a route to proceed" rules, I can't wait to see what happens when you start getting into the Horde battles. Route 8 is gonna drive you nuts.

Oh man I forgot about horde battles... what am I going to do if I run into a horde with two types of pokemon, neither of which I've caught? I can only catch one per horde... oh well, that's part of the chaotic fun!
    edited March 2014
    Another update. Lots of team changes this time around.
    edited March 2014
    This reminds me of one of the Pokemon Stadium, announcer's quotes when you switch your Pokemon constantly: "It's a revolving door of Pokemon."

Not the best fit, but I though it was appropriate. :P
    Bravely second...

edited March 2014
    Surprised how ironically appropriate some of these random names are turning out to be.

Last update for this afternoon. Might make another one late tonight though.

Also, gotta say, Quacklin' is kicking all sorts of *** up in here. Farfetch'd might not be an amazing pokemon all around, but he learns some pretty great moves for a run like this. Knock Off, Aerial Ace, and Slash are kicking all kinds of tail, plus I gave him False Swipe to help with a few captures before I bump him off. Pretty damn good all around.
    edited March 2014
    Yep, False Swipe has to be one of the most useful moves ever. Normally Farfetch'd can make for good HM users, but it sounds like it can be a good Pokemon in other circumstances.
    Bravely second...

edited March 2014
    Alright, another update done. I've reached Ambrette town and SO FAR I haven't fainted. Can this streak continue? Am I eventually doomed?

Probably.

Poor Quacklin' is next on the chopping block. I'm gonna miss him.
    edited March 2014
    Another update. COMPLETE team changeover, and then some. Glittering Cave was crazy.
  • sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Madison, WIAdministrators
    edited November 2014
    Did you ever finish this?
    179811.png