If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Kickstarter / Greenlight / Indie game thread

daveyddaveyd Turn-based lifeformPAFull Members
edited December 2014 in Role Playing Games
I thought rather than starting a thread for every obscure indie RPG in development which interests me I'd put them all in one thread that no one will read :) Any current Kickstarter RPG you're supporting or other indie RPGs that you find interesting?

Here's some active Kickstarters that I'm currently backing:

Age of Grit -a cRPG with a steampunk / Wild-West setting.

Graywalkers: Purgatory - an isometric turn-based CRPG set in a supernatural post-apocalyptic world

Already successfully funded indie RPGs I've backed or pre-ordered, with estimated release dates:

The Banner Saga- Turn-based SRPG in Viking style setting (Released)

Bloom: Memories Action Adventure RPG (Late 2015)

Celestian Tales: Old North (PC/Mac/Linux) turn-based JRPG. The story will span three decades, so the six playable characters will age as the story progresses. The player has a hand in how the characters mature and it's much less linear than the typical JRPG. (Q1 2015)

Darkest Dungeon a gothic horror dungeon crawler where you have to manage your party member's stress levels. (Q1 2015)

Dragon Finn Soup - (PC, PS4/PS3/Vita) a turn-based RPG inspired by Grimm Fairy tale characters (Late 2014)

Divinity: Original Sin turn-based isometric fantasy RPG (June 20th, 2014)

Earthlock: Festival of Magic (PC, XB1, PS4, Wii-U) JRPG sort of like Rune Factory with turn-based combat. (Q2 2015)

Echoes of Eternea turn-based JRPG with multiple endings (Late 2014?)

Hard West- a tactical turn-based strategy game in the "Weird West" with RPG elements

Insomnia A post-apocalyptic diesel punk RPG with RTwP combat system (2015)

Jagged Alliance: Flashback turn-based strategy RPG (2014?)

Kitaru turn-based, cyberpunk RPG (2014?)

Legends of Eisenwald turn-based strategy in medieval setting (2014?)

Liege- turn-based tactical RPG in medieval setting (Summer 2014)

Lords of Xulima -turn-based, fantasy cRPG (Summer 2014)

Mages Initiation: Reign of the Elements point and click adventure / action RPG. (2014?)

Massive Chalice turn-based strategy in fantasy medieval setting (Late 2014)

The Mandate space opera RPG (Spring 2015)

The Meridian Shard Old school turn-based RPG with lots of choices to make. (December 2014)

Pillars of Eternity Real-time with pause fantasy RPG; Infinity Engine style (Late 2014)

Serpent in the Staglands CRPG with Real time with pause combat system, influenced by Baldur's Gate and Darklands (Dec. 2014)

Shadowrun Returns turn-based cyberpunk fantasy RPG (released!)

Starcrawlers- a turn-based dungeon crawler in a Sci-Fi setting.

Telepath Tactics turn-based tactical RPG in steampunk fantasy setting. (2014?)

Torment: Tides of Numenara Turn-based tactical RPG. Spiritual Successor to Planescape: Torment. (2015?)

Unrest A Fantasy adventure RPG set in Ancient India (June 26th, 2014)

Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians Turn-based tactical RPG, spiritual successor to FF tactics (Summer 2015)

Wasteland 2 turn-based post-apocalyptic RPG (2014?)

Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

Comments

• King_TetiroKing_Tetiro Member Full Members
    edited March 2014
    This is a really good idea! Perhaps one of the Mods could sticky this topic?

Here's an idea, why not add to this topic a history of the SUCCESSFUL campaigns along with their expected release date?

(I'll be doing a KickStarter hopefully by summer. I want to ensure the quality is high enough though so I'm taking my time)
  • daveyddaveyd Turn-based lifeform PAFull Members
    edited March 2014
    This is a really good idea! Perhaps one of the Mods could sticky this topic?

Here's an idea, why not add to this topic a history of the SUCCESSFUL campaigns along with their expected release date?

(I'll be doing a KickStarter hopefully by summer. I want to ensure the quality is high enough though so I'm taking my time)

For now I've updated my post with links to all of the crowdfunded RPGs that I've backed / supported with ETA. (Don't have the energy to post every Kickstarted RPG). Obviously I tend to prefer RPGs with turn-based combat with a few exceptions.

Well, once your Kickstarter launches post a link to it in this thread :)
    Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

• 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2014
    daveyd wrote: »
    For now I've updated my post with links to all of the crowdfunded RPGs that I've backed / supported with ETA. (Don't have the energy to post every Kickstarted RPG). Obviously I tend to prefer RPGs with turn-based combat with a few exceptions.

Well, once your Kickstarter launches post a link to it in this thread :)

Possible side tangent: did you see FTL: Faster Than Light? It might be up your alley. It's a real time with pause tactical game that I enjoyed and replay every now and then.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited March 2014
    We once had a sticky thread about indie games but then it was removed with the reason that each game deserves its own thread.
    edited March 2014
    We once had a sticky thread about indie games but then it was removed with the reason that each game deserves its own thread.

Oh is that what happened? I thought it remembered an indie thread here... I mean, I considered making a thread for every single game I've mentioned here but I feel like that would be a mess given that this forum isn't all that active and that the games that have yet to be funded may never even see the light of day.

• PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2014
    It was because it became little but a thread full of moderated posts from indie devs who crapped out an ad and then were never seen again.
    edited March 2014
    Paws wrote: »
    It was because it became little but a thread full of moderated posts from indie devs who crapped out an ad and then were never seen again.

That is frustrating. I don't know why they don't stick around. It seems pretty pathetic and lame.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited March 2014
    Paws wrote: »

Yes, what Paws said. That and it was horribly disorganized and fairly inactive for long periods of time.

Having a place to discuss all things Indie that people are interested in or are currently in development isn't a bad idea. We just don't want a topic to devolve into posting links for people to look at with no discussion in between.
    edited March 2014
    Hey King_Tetiro, you mentioned that you're going to make your own Kickstarter campaign in the future, but it doesn't seem you've ever posted anything about the game you're working on. Any info on it or is it top secret until you do the Kickstarter?
    edited March 2014
    Hey King_Tetiro, you mentioned that you're going to make your own Kickstarter campaign in the future, but it doesn't seem you've ever posted anything about the game you're working on. Any info on it or is it top secret until you do the Kickstarter?

Quite a few reasons to why not.
    -No idea where to post the game for feedback gathering
    and...
    -I can't seem to post new topics yet :(
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited March 2014
    There are two $4 million games on that list. They don't meet my personal definition of indie: small team, focused vision.

Delver's Drop is a roguelike that I think fits. Estimated release date Oct '13.
    edited March 2014
    There are two $4 million games on that list. They don't meet my personal definition of indie: small team, focused vision.

Delver's Drop is a roguelike that I think fits. Estimated release date Oct '13.

That's probably true, especially in the case of Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity. Still a budget of ~$4million (actually less after KS fees and taxes) is substantially less than the $20-$30million budget of a typical AAA title. PoE and Torment are still the types of games that a big publisher likely never would have touched. So perhaps some of them should not qualify as indie but they are definitely still niche.

Another Kickstarter that has piqued my interest: Dragon Fin Soup a turn-based RPG inspired by Grimm fairy tale characters. Really like the art style and music of this one.

• DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited March 2014
    Serpent in the Staglands: WRPG heavily influenced by Darklands and Baldur's Gate.

I'm always a bit skeptical about Kickstarter games with really low budgets like this, Darklands cost $1 million to make in 1992 (although a lot of that was due to mismanagement), but it looks like it could be pretty cool. At the very least they seem to be smart enough avoid any ridiculous backer rewards that'll eat up the budget.

Edit: actually, after fact-checking that Darklands cost figure... it actually cost $3 million to make.
    edited March 2014
    Drav wrote: »
    Serpent in the Staglands: WRPG heavily influenced by Darklands and Baldur's Gate.

I'm always a bit skeptical about Kickstarter games with really low budgets like this, Darklands cost $1 million to make in 1992 (although a lot of that was due to mismanagement), but it looks like it could be pretty cool. At the very least they seem to be smart enough avoid any ridiculous backer rewards that'll eat up the budget.

That's a good thought for topic. What would you think in my case? All the sounds, music, graphics and engine programming is done. My KickStarter is to fund the content implementation and business start up. Would that be skeptical? It is a low cost because most of the expensive stuff has been covered :)
    edited March 2014
    That sounds like a bit of a different situation. It sounds like the SitS guys have the battle mechanics and character advancement system in place, but still have a long way to go before they have a proper game. Even if they don't plan on hiring anyone else to help them, it seems almost absurd that 2 people could live off $10,000 for 8 months. But hey, I don't really know their situation, so whatever. I backed it on one of the lower tiers, for what it's worth.
    edited March 2014
    That sounds like a bit of a different situation. It sounds like the SitS guys have the battle mechanics and character advancement system in place, but still have a long way to go before they have a proper game. Even if they don't plan on hiring anyone else to help them, it seems almost absurd that 2 people could live off $10,000 for 8 months. But hey, I don't really know their situation, so whatever. I backed it on one of the lower tiers, for what it's worth.

Ultimately I think you have to place trust in the developers that they know how much money they need to complete their game and weren't simply asking for what they can get. We've seen KS where the dev. got far more than they were asking (e.g. Double Fine Adventure) and still ran out of funds to the point where they had to rely on early access / splitting the game into parts. Of course if someone comes to KS with only concept art finished and tells you they're going to make an epic AAA level RPG with $10K I'd be very skeptical. But it seems Whalenought has already been working on the game for almost a year and are fairly confident they can complete it by the end of 2014. As you said, we don't know their financial situation; it's possible they're working part-time jobs or they have enough saved up that $10K is more than enough for their expenses. Being such a small team they don't have pay for office space, extra computers, or some of the other expenses that larger teams can have. For a two person husband and wife development team I think the biggest concern I have about them finishing their game is "What if they had a big fight and got separated before it got completed?"

Anyway, game looks interesting, I decided to back at the $15 tier but doubt I'll go higher.

edited March 2014
    They clarified the budget in the comments section:
    The funding amount is definitely the bare minimum we would need. We have income from previous games and do other freelance work that, with these remaining funds, would allow us to work on Serpent in the Staglands primarily full time up until the release date and stick to our timeline. Otherwise, it would have to continue to either be a weekend project or potentially be stalled altogether for smaller projects.

I missed the part where they had developed other games. If I ever get around to buying an iPhone I'll have to remember to check them out.

Also, here's an RPG Codex interview.
    edited April 2014
    They clarified the budget in the comments section:

I missed the part where they had developed other games. If I ever get around to buying an iPhone I'll have to remember to check them out.

Also, here's an RPG Codex interview.

Oh Isle of Bxynes sounds pretty cool. I might have to pick it up for my Android tablet. Anyway, I'm glad to see that they have reached their funding goal so quickly and have plenty of time to work towards some nice stretch goals. Most of which are intended to be expansions so they shouldn't delay release of the base game.

edited May 2014
    Shiness

I'm sure some of you will find this one really interesting.

It combines RPG with fighting game, but unlike Star Ocean, the battles occurs directly on the map (it has a separate mode for battles, think of Chrono Trigger or PE but instead of ATB it's like a fighting game match; it's 1vs1 but non-active party members can give support - makes me think of something like Thousand Arms).

Edit: Stupid me it was already posted about in another thread, that's what happens if I frequent too many different gaming communities.
    edited May 2014
    Shiness

I'm sure some of you will find this one really interesting.

It combines RPG with fighting game, but unlike Star Ocean, the battles occurs directly on the map (it has a separate mode for battles, think of Chrono Trigger or PE but instead of ATB it's like a fighting game match; it's 1vs1 but non-active party members can give support - makes me think of something like Thousand Arms).

It does look nice, but I'm not really a fan of fighting games so I fear I would find the battles tedious...

Witchmarsh A side-scrolling action RPG set in 1920s Massachusetts. Create and manage a team of investigators in a story-driven supernatural mystery. Really like the concept of this one and I'm all for RPGs that take place anywhere other than the generic Tolkien-esque medieval fantasy setting.

Also, a couple games I have Kickstarted have recently announced release dates. Divinity: Original Sin (which is currently in Early Access) will have a full release on June 30th. Unrest (an RPG set in Ancient India) is coming out on July 23rd. Quest for Infamy (a Quest For Glory style adventure / RPG hyrbrid) will release on June 26th.

edited May 2014
    1920s Mass and it's NOT Cthulhu-based? Feels like a lost opportunity.
    edited May 2014
    Was Celestial Tear: Demon's Revenge mentioned anywhere yet? Too bad the campaign doesn't look so good with only $1645 of $30000 yet, but I really like the art style of the game.
    edited May 2014
    Was Celestial Tear: Demon's Revenge mentioned anywhere yet? Too bad the campaign doesn't look so good with only $1645 of $30000 yet, but I really like the art style of the game.
    It does look decent. The environmental interaction in battles sounds like a neat idea as well. I'm backing it but unfortunately they are really struggling to get the word out.

Another one I forgot to mention is Courier It's an RPG with absolutely no combat; as someone who is really sick and tired of combat heavy RPGs that are all about grinding / loot / grinding I am really drawn to the idea of RPGs that focus on puzzles, adventuring, sidequests, etc. Of course I have the concern, especially considering the name that most of the quests will be simple fed ex quests... but it seems there's more to it than that.

edited May 2014
    According to the author there is combat but it has to be solved without attacking.

Since I personally play RPGs mostly for combat and music, it's not really a selling point for me when one doesn't have combat.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    Did anybody mentioned Zeboyd mentioned their next project after Star Heroine?

http://zeboyd.com/2014/04/01/zeboyd-games-is-proud-to-announce-untamed-armaments/
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    edited June 2014
    Isn't that an April's Fool joke?
    edited June 2014
    Yes, it is. It's a play off Wild ARMs.
    edited June 2014
    Meridian Shard / Game Resource Pack 2nd Kickstarter for this game, to fund additional art assets.

Deadrock Divide - a Sci-Fi game with X-com style tactical turn-based combat

edited June 2014
    Heh looks like a single person funded that first one completely.
    edited June 2014
    Unrest , which is releasing on July 23rd, has a demo that is now available on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/292400