If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Kickstarter / Greenlight / Indie game thread

Comments

• daveyddaveyd Turn-based lifeform PAFull Members
    edited June 2014
    A Kickstarter campaign is active for Insomnia , a post-apocalyptic, "diesel punk" RPG with RTwP combat (e.g., Baldur's Gate, DA: O, etc.). Has some really nice graphics and sounds quite ambitious, promising non-linear quests with multiple solutions.
    Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

• CadianCadian oh god who are you people Back and forth between New York and VermontFull Members
    edited June 2014
    daveyd wrote: »
    A Kickstarter campaign is active for Insomnia , a post-apocalyptic, "diesel punk" RPG with RTwP combat (e.g., Baldur's Gate, DA: O, etc.). Has some really nice graphics and sounds quite ambitious, promising non-linear quests with multiple solutions.

That...looks really sweet. It looks like classic Fallout with a hint of BioShock set in space. Shame the $10 tier rewards are all gone.
    Twitters! Steams! Tumblrs!
    3DS Friend Code: 1435-5875-0306
    Brave Frontier Player ID: 6146529113
    Competitive Pokemon list - if you'd like tiny Lv. 1 versions, let me know!
    edited June 2014
    Cadian wrote: »
    That...looks really sweet. It looks like classic Fallout with a hint of BioShock set in space. Shame the $10 tier rewards are all gone.

It looks like the developers have added a few extra slots to the $10 reward tier. There's currently 59 available :)
    Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

edited July 2014
    Braven Arts -a tactical (J)RPG is currently active on Kickstarter. It has a really cool looking tactical turn-based battle system, lots of side quests, and a day / night schedule for NPCs.

• TrexrellTrexrell Member Full Members
    edited July 2014
    daveyd wrote: »
    Braven Arts -a tactical (J)RPG is currently active on Kickstarter. It has a really cool looking tactical turn-based battle system, lots of side quests, and a day / night schedule for NPCs.

This one looks really good. Just as I was saying there were not too many on Kickstarter anymore this one pops up. It is a very fine example of a jrpg with good potential.
    edited August 2014
    Trexrell wrote: »
    This one looks really good. Just as I was saying there were not too many on Kickstarter anymore this one pops up. It is a very fine example of a jrpg with good potential.

Yep, this deserves to get funded and it is exactly is the kind of JRPG I want when I'm talking about the genre needing to grow / evolve. The battle system reminds me of Radiant Historia; which, if they actually make it challenging, is a very good thing.

And there's another JRPG Kickstarter that I have my eye on.. This one is obviously more of a pure tactical RPG: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/graviatactics/gravia-tactics

• PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2014
    Gravia's got some funny funding portions. You can get good quality music producers for less than 8500 USD, especially ones that will work for far less on KS titles (and why would you use VAs in your first indie title when you can get a voice pack that serves just as well for a tenth of the cost?)...without information on the pedigree of these devs, I think their goal is too high.
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited August 2014
    Yeah Gravia's goal is just too high, that was my first thought when I first say the Kickstarter page. It's just not a game that will get this much unless the developer is famous somehow.
    Even though the game itself would interest me when released.

Telepath Tactics is a comparable project, but Craig Stern is fairly famous because of his blogs. And he also only got $41000 on the second kickstarter attempt (first one failed getting only $18000). So I just can't see Gravia getting much more than $15000.
    edited August 2014
    Yeah Gravia's goal is just too high, that was my first thought when I first say the Kickstarter page. It's just not a game that will get this much unless the developer is famous somehow.
    Even though the game itself would interest me when released.

Telepath Tactics is a comparable project, but Craig Stern is fairly famous because of his blogs. And he also only got $41000 on the second kickstarter attempt (first one failed getting only $18000). So I just can't see Gravia getting much more than $15000.

Yes, it looks extremely unlikely that they will reach that goal. It's not unheard of for unknown developers to reach goals that high (Hyper Light Drifter got $645K!) If I were to back Gravia, it would be more to show them that there's interest than because I actually think it will fund. Nothing wrong with dreaming big, and it's better that developers ask for what they think they need rather making promises they can't keep. Perhaps they can come back to KS with a scaled down scope and make things like professional voice acting a stretch goal. However, after reading more info about it, I'm just not really all that smitten with the game.

Here's another new JRPG project that I'm not sure I'll back, but a least looks interesting: Elysian Shadows. Apparently they've gathered a fanbase through youtube / other social media sites so they actually seem to have a realistic shot of reaching their high goal: already up to $34K out of $150K. If the battle system was tactical turn-based I'd definitely be throwing money at it, but it's more of a Zelda / Secret of Mana style action RPG, with AI controlled party members, which just doesn't excite me. But it could be good- they do have some neat ideas.

Braven Arts is at $4,289, / $20K with 20 days to go. Hope they make it.

edited August 2014
    Honestly with Hyper Light Drifter, I instantly knew it will reach a high goal, the presentation was amazing.
    edited August 2014
    Honestly with Hyper Light Drifter, I instantly knew it will reach a high goal, the presentation was amazing.

I guess it looks decent for a deliberately retro style game. I'm getting a bit tired of the pixelated 8-bit style indie games, though. I can still find well done 16-bit style RPGs charming but anything that looks older than that just turns me off. It's one thing to say we're a small indie team and can't make AAA quality graphics, but a lot of these Kickstarters are deliberately appealing to nostalgia with the pixelated look. There's been a few KS games which I think have great ideas but the ultra retro looks prevent me from backing them; like Pixel Noir and Fritz. In the latter's case, the text is barely even legible. Games made in 2014 should at least support modern resolutions and look good enough that you can tell what is going on.

HLD is at least unusual looking with all the colors, but I wasn't impressed enough to back it. I can forgive almost any graphical style if the gameplay is good though. However since that one is an action RPG.. which I'm very particular about, it's not something I think I'd buy unless it gets rave reviews.

edited August 2014
    There's is just a style that is really popular with arcade/retro communities. HLD belongs to that.

Also Radio The Universe. It didn't get as much as HLD, but exceeded its goal by far as well.
    edited August 2014
    A new game on Kickstarter that I'm backing:

Hard West - That's right, partner, a tactical turn-based strategy game set in the Wild West. The developer has said this of the game when I inquired about how much of an RPG it is"

" Actually, it's pretty much an rpg, but saying it's all at once would be over the top.

I'll be very precise here. What we have is:
    • character stats
    • character progression
    • non-interactive dialogs (in most scenarios)
    • interactive dialogs (in some scenarios)
    • all scenarios have a very strong story to them - they are definitely story driven
    • each scenario is a sequence of story events, but the focus is on lore (like Fallen London)"

edited August 2014
    I personally don't seem to like SRPGs where you can shoot guns. For me it has to be melee attack = 1 tile range, ranged attack = 2-3 tiles range. Also I prefer large scale battles over RPG + mini SRPG battles. So not really interested in that one.
    edited August 2014
    That one is kind of cool. I wonder what the story may be considering westerns are general self contained stories which focus on living in that harsh environment. It is refreshing seeing more wild western themed games outside of Red dead especially an RPG.
    edited August 2014
    There's already a Western-themed RPG if people are interested, Boot Hill Heroes is PC and PSN.
    edited August 2014
    I just checked out the review on this site for Boot Hill. It seems really cool. I never was a fan of the stationary battlesystem but after watching BeardBros play it on youtube I can see the appeal. The review was very helpful and it seems like a pretty great game.
    edited August 2014
    I have Boot Hill Heroes. It's a "spaghetti Western" based setting, so it's very different from the dark "weird west" setting of Hard West. I like the unique setting and Earthbound influenced art style- it's a retro style that I can appreciate. Unfortunately I kind of found the combat boring and there seems to be quite a lot of it, and also heard there were some fairly serious bugs when it was first released, so I haven't played it much yet.

Speaking of Wild West RPGs, here's a new Kickstarter I'm backing:

Age of Grit
    -a cRPG with a steampunk / Wild-West setting. I like how the steampunk aspect is an integral part of the gameplay and storyline, as opposed to being merely an aesthetic style that it is in a lot of "steampunk" rpgs; e.g., combat takes place on steam-powered airships. I also love their thoughts on RPG quests.

• NimNim _ Full Members
    edited August 2014
    Dex
    Side scrolling action rpg.
    edited August 2014
    Age of Grit looks pretty cool. It really only showed one aspect of the game in the trailer but it looks fun. Looking further into it it seems to be a pretty deep game.
    edited September 2014
    Hey guys my project went up a couple of days ago. I wanted to start my own thread about it before but I did not come up with enough post. So here it is

Celestial tear: Demon's Revenge is a story about discovery and the passing of traditions and time. As time has went on in Hasphal, traditions withered and technology from an unknown ancestor emerge. Civilization moves fast but the prejudice for the Jehts now called Demons (because of their more rugged looks and other worldly features) still persist. You gather a party full of diverse characters from all walks of life and begin your journey to get to the bottom of this conflict, and end it once and for all. All is not what it seems, as through your journey you discover a conspiracy that can destroy life as you know it.

Features:

• An intriguing storyline filled with themes of discovery, morals, and the common good vs evil tearing into those shades of gray
    • Fun and enticing gameplay with 6 different characters to join your party
    • A dynamic day and night system that effects gameplay including advanced NPC AI
    • An action packed, strategic battle system
    • Unique crafting systems and minigames

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/whiteguardianstudios/ct-demons-revenge
    edited September 2014
    That's strange I thought you only need 15 posts to open new threads.

Good luck with the kickstarter!
    edited September 2014
    I do not find it strange you didn't read the forum rules. It's the very first thing.
    edited September 2014
    My memory isn't so good, even if I read something I forget it within 5 minutes tops. =p
    edited September 2014
    Here's an adventure game with RPG elements where players take on the role of a thief: The Scoundrels Guild: Tale of Thieves

edited September 2014
    Battle Brothers needs help getting Greenlight.

I'm personally not such a big fan of procedurally generated and permadeath, but I know many here are. Plus the game's design is pretty unique.
    edited September 2014
    Battle Brothers needs help getting Greenlight.

I'm personally not such a big fan of procedurally generated and permadeath, but I know many here are. Plus the game's design is pretty unique.

I'm really not a fan of procedural generation; I like when designers, painstakingly, design stuff. Not even really a fan of things like random loot. Now permadeath is something I can get behind in theory (although I have been finding it just plain annoying in Fire Emblem Awakening as mages and support classes are too fragile). But admittedly the thing that really turns me off the most from Battle Brothers is the bust-style character models... It just looks like a mobile game. If they were releasing this on Android I'd probably buy it for my tablet... But on PC, I expect that my soldiers have arms, midriffs, and legs ! This look kinda makes me snicker...I keep thinking of the "Just a flesh wound" bit in Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail. "Come back here, I'll bite your legs off!"

As I understand it they initially made this decision due to their low budget but I wish they would've attempted crowd-funding. But apparently some people like the look, so different strokes for different folks, I guess.

edited September 2014
    Honestly, I don't get why you are turned off by the character models. I find the idea brilliant and unique. And they are very well drawn. And each hero looks different too.
    Why does a PC game have to have realistic character models?
    edited September 2014
    Honestly, I don't get why you are turned off by the character models. I find the idea brilliant and unique. And they are very well drawn. And each hero looks different too.
    Why does a PC game have to have realistic character models?

They don't necessarily have to look realistic to appeal to me, but just decent. With static Head /Shoulder models, it just looks like a silly mobile game to me. I'd probably be more willing to overlook it if I liked everything about the gameplay mechanics / premise but procedural generation is a big con, and the setting / plot are standard generic medieval fantasy. It's just my personal opinion / preference of course. I'll probably even give them a yes vote on Steam because their game does have some redeeming qualities.

edited September 2014
    Star Traders 2- an open-galaxy sci-fi / space opera RPG (PC/Mac/Linux/Android/iOS)