If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Kickstarter / Greenlight / Indie game thread

13»

Comments

• daveyddaveyd Turn-based lifeform PAFull Members
    edited September 2014
    Graywalkers: Purgatory, an isometric post-apocalyptic RPG with tactical turn-based combat. (PC/Mac/Linux; console ports will be stretch goals) The game is quite different from other post-apocalyptic RPGs out there as it supernatural twist, with devils, angels, vampires, etc. They have a pre-alpha demo coming out in a few days.

570ffedf812c21e202c92c5c0ba8fbb7_large.jpg?1411589339
    Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

• King_TetiroKing_Tetiro Member Full Members
    edited September 2014
    I just launched Legena's 2nd go at raising funds! We are only in need of £1,000 this time!

http://kck.st/1utAnsk

We are aiming for PC, Android, OUYA and GameStick with plenty of platforms we want to reach! Classic SNES inspired gameplay too :) (That console even though I never owned one is my favourite)
    edited September 2014
    The developers of Graywalkers Purgatory now have a demo available for download.
    Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

edited October 2014
    @Trexell: The Steam Greenlight link you have here doesn't work. The one linked through your KS page is fine.

• TrexrellTrexrell Member Full Members
    edited October 2014
    Thanks daveyd I fixed it.
    edited November 2014
    Pyrodactyl Games, the makers of Unrest have just launched a Kickstarter for their next game: Late to the party. It's described as a "Cold War Espionage RPG set in the Baltics". You play as a KGB agent investigating suspicious activities. Like Unrest, the game will be dialogue heavy and have very few combat encounters, which will all be avoidable.

A lot of RPGamers would probably argue that Unrest isn't an RPG, but an adventure game / visual novel because it's mainly dialogue and there's so little combat... I'd argue that a game doesn't need combat to be considered an RPG, but an RPG should have a sense of character progression... Some usable skills / abilities that your character/s can learn or improve in which will affect how the game plays out. Unrest didn't have this. There were traits, but they were basically similar to achievements; you could unlock them, but they didn't really do anything AFAIK. And you were switching between multiple characters (even if a character died, the story continued) even inventory didn't matter much. It is for this reason I'd argue that Unrest is better described as an adventure game than an RPG.

But with Late to the Party, their KS page mentions that you can use character traits during your investigations... So it sounds like this time there will be character progression (and you're playing as the same character for the entire game).

• flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited November 2014
    Hey, is that Massive Chalice game an RPG game? Not sure.
    It's in early access too, definitely not eligible for coverage yet.
    Also, might not qualify as indie since its budget is >1 million.
    edited December 2014
    Hey, is that Massive Chalice game an RPG game? Not sure.
    It's in early access too, definitely not eligible for coverage yet.
    Also, might not qualify as indie since its budget is >1 million.

I guess it's technically more of a turn-based Strategy game, but there are definitely going to be some RPG / rogue-like elements to it. The large budget and fact that Double Fine is a fairly large studio would probably mean a lot of people would argue it isn't indie, but it's still sort of a niche kind of game. I backed it on Kickstarter as well. Sounds promising.

• flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    I have been playing Crypt of the Necrodancer for several months now. It was made available in June; I think I got it in September. They keep adding new content and incidentally, taking away old content sometimes. RIP Boots of Speed :( I have ~90 hours logged.

Still waiting for the update where they introduce Zone 4. I beat the game around 25% of the time now (Cadence mode), so it'd be nice to not win so often or maybe just to get to see the new area. There are already four different major bosses, so I'd imagine the time of Zone 4 is close.

Necrodancer is much more skill based than other roguelikes. You eventually learn that green slimes have 1HP, blue slimes 2 HP, black skeletons 3HP, green dragons 4HP, etc.... The standard rogue rule is applied: You move, then the enemies move. Damage isn't random. If you deal damage, you deal at least 1HP in damage. The HP bar for damaged enemies is displayed, so you can be sure that your next hit will kill an enemy (meaning it'll be dead and not kill you), and "misses" are generally not possible. Enemy movement patters aren't random either. Green slimes stand still, blue slimes bounce up and down, black skeletons and green dragons move orthogonally toward you every other move. Since it's basically your own fault if you get hit at all, the developer put in powerful "glass" equipment that's powerful but will break if you get hit, which is always an interesting risk/reward proposition.
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • bum_199bum_199 Full Members
    this game looks very polished but doesnt have much time left.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/889743262/rot-age-of-arius?ref=category
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1548028600/battle-chasers-nightwar/description

No idea if it was posted before. But I don't see updates on the openingopening list o his thread. Shall we continue or stop using this thread?
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    LordKaiser wrote: »
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1548028600/battle-chasers-nightwar/description

No idea if it was posted before. But I don't see updates on the openingopening list o his thread. Shall we continue or stop using this thread?

This one looks up my style
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    edited October 2015
    Harebrained Schemes currently has a Kickstarter going for a new Battletech game. It is a turn-based strategy game, but will have a good deal of RPG elements in the single-player campaign mode.

• redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    edited October 2015
    The makers of Skullgirls have a campaign up on IndieGogo for a new Action RPG called Indivisible. Valkyrie Profile was listed as one of their influences, and they have a playable demo out there. I absolutely love their art style and animation (though I wasn't really a fan of Skullgirls mechanically). Here's the link.
    I'm backing "A Princess to Save Me".

You play as a princess who is kidnapped and rescued by a prince.. but the prince gets himself killed and she has to learn to fend for her self. It's being made in RPGMaker but the KS is to get funds to hire a couple of artists & an animator so they don't have to use standard / placeholder art.

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Full Members
    Camelot Unchained aka Dark Age of Camelot 2 (in fact, it's being made by the DAoC creator), tri-realm RvR sandbox MMORPG; Successfully kickstarted for more than $2.2M in early 2013 and nearing the end of Alpha tests - beta starts "this winter" (jan-march 2016).

Here's a brief summary and the image below is Banshee (Bean Sidhe), a spooky singing/whispering race of Tuatha Dé Danann Realm.

238px-Banshee.png

Crowfall aka Shadowbane 2 (made by Shadowbane creator) - PvP sandbox MMORPG also successfully kickstarted for almost $2M this March, with combat tests already happening since August.

Here's a brief Crowfall overview.

468px-F5eUH7S.jpg
    Nebula: Sole Survivor is a sci-fi Action RPG currently on Kickstarter. Features a female protagonist with voice acting and very nice graphics for an indie game. There is a downloadable beta demo to try. I'm normally not a big fan of shooter / action RPGs, but this looks good. And the digital copy tier is only $12 CAD (~$9 USD).

• bum_199bum_199 Full Members
    moira on kickstarter looks amazing! im getting a popful mail vibe from it but if it were on game boy or game boy advance. check it out at the link below.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1449928723/moira-0?token=ad522e53
    From the husband and wife development team of Serpent in the Staglands comes "Copper Dreams", a cyberpunk CRPG with turn-based combat.

• NimNim _ Full Members
    Combat seems like it will take some inspiration from Grandia. The concept is interesting and I will back when there are a day or two left.
    Nim wrote: »
    Combat seems like it will take some inspiration from Grandia. The concept is interesting and I will back when there are a day or two left.

I saw the developer mention Grandia as a big inspiration for the combat on Reddit. Funding has slowed but is already over 50% with 25 days left, so I think they will make their goal and maybe even a stretch goal or two.

Also don't forget to vote for the game on Steam Greenlight and GOG wishlist.

Anyone played Legends of Eisenwald?

I'm backing Eisenwald: Blood of November which is going to be made in an improved version of LoE engine. It's a sand-box style Turn-based strategy / RPG.

Eisenwald: Blood of November was released today on Steam and GOG, making it the fastest shipped game I've ever backed.

Also a Kickstarter just launched for a game called "Back From Hell".

"Back From Hell is a CRPG Puzzle/Adventure game set in two worlds, a 15th Century Spanish hilltop town and a journey to the depths of Hell and back again. It merges classic computer role playing game mechanics with point & click adventure style exploration, challenging environmental puzzles in the vein of MYST and like Planescape: Torment the narrative is formed by the choices you make and the consequences of your deeds."

I really like the look of this one; the digitized sprites and isometric background . Interesting setting and I'm a fan of point & click adventure / CRPG hybrids.

edited November 2016
    Hellhunter is a game that I have recently backed. Link It is a supernatural RPG which is basically Ghostbusters? You investigate a location to determine what type of spirit is there, then set up traps and attempt to catch or destroy it. Looks fairly promising, but is on a very low budget. It is about one third of the way to its goal with three weeks left, so I think it should get funded at that rate.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited December 2016
    Unknown Realm: The Siege Perilous: 80s-style CRPG that you can play on an actual Commodore 64 (but also available for PC). It looks to me like it's mostly inspired by Ultima IV/V but they mention Wasteland and Pool of Radiance as well. The (expensive) physical edition includes the kind of feelies you'd expect from an 80s PC game.

19b4140972fd77b3b8712b1a0a66d112_original.GIF?w=680&fit=max&v=1481712106&q=92&s=48996528dae1c3748f58a343281e48e3

f72a1a1599362df9549aab6d813049fb_original.GIF?w=680&fit=max&v=1481513230&q=92&s=6983bffea4f77181a9f3a0befdb19db3

366ae6f628124ce16952754e1e3a1236_original.GIF?w=680&fit=max&v=1480543372&q=92&s=b0620ba5054ff9ca8d8093e67a3cd4f0

fa558ed28deeccc36472ac7e76b38344_original.jpg?w=680&fit=max&v=1479802715&auto=format&q=92&s=16bb328a254a2338ec67433c4d844db4

The lack of tactical Gold Box combat is a bit of a turn-off for me but this might be of interest to someone here.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Yeah agreed more so with Ultima then Goldbox
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    redwing42 wrote: »
    Hellhunter is a game that I have recently backed. Link It is a supernatural RPG which is basically Ghostbusters? You investigate a location to determine what type of spirit is there, then set up traps and attempt to catch or destroy it. Looks fairly promising, but is on a very low budget. It is about one third of the way to its goal with three weeks left, so I think it should get funded at that rate.

Hellhunter has apparently found backing elsewhere, as they have created a Steam page and have said to expect multiple announcements over the next few days. Still looks pretty good, so I'm excited to see what develops.