If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The Active Topical Banter Show - Episode 2:The Shape of Things Past

Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News EditorRPGamer Staff
edited March 2014 in Latest Updates
Re-releases, ports and and up-scales - What do we want and what does it mean for the business - get examined in this instalment. Rather apropos for the eve of FFX HD collection, no?

download
archive
RSS

Comments

• ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited March 2014
    The main things I look for in a remake/re-release:

- Taking a game that was previously console-only and making it handheld
    or
    - Adding content that's at least new to me (see: FFX/X-2 adding International content I've had no opportunity to play)

Fine discussion all 'round.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited March 2014
    I think making these games available on new systems is important, and high-resolution upgrades are pretty much compulsory for any kind of modern monitor/TV, but my preference is still always going to be the original version, on the system it was designed for, utilizing the technology it was designed for. Old Videogames do not upscale anywhere near as well as movies.

I've played a couple of PS1 games on PSP, namely Metal Gear Solid and Vagrant Story, and it was a terrible experience. I would never play a game on handhelds if there was a console alternative, unless the game was originally designed for extremely low-resolution screens like the GBA. Not even the "upgrades" made to Persona 3 Portable (and one has to use that term loosely consider all the graphical fidelity and animation that was lost porting the game to PSP) could make me prefer that version.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited March 2014
    I was always a fan of the earlier Enix remakes. They were real remakes, the Dragon Quest games they remade for SNES. The early Squaresoft attempts were more like enhanced ports- the same game (same code) recompiled for a new platform and had a few FMV slapped on. It wasn't until after the merger that Square games started getting real remakes. That's one of the few good things about the merger in my opinion, that Enix's approach to remaking games rubbed off on Square.

I know there is a lot of terms in this area that I think a lot of people really get confused. I use a developer approach to these terms, which uses the following- A "port" uses the same code-base, recompiled (and possibly tweaked a little to work) for another platform. Usually these are released at the same time, however sometimes they are released on newer platforms. An "enhanced port" is most of the same code, but with some additional content- maybe a bestiary, a dungeon, FMV, new script, replacing the graphics (even HD-ification), etc. A "remake" is when they actually re-write the code, which tends to look very different and operate faster. A "re-release" would technically just be the same game getting a new printing, or perhaps emulated like the virtual console or on a compilation disc, or on gog.com or something. And then there are like the GBC DQ games we got, they were "Enhanced Ports of a Remake", since they added content to the SNES remakes.

For me, if I've already played the game before, I've really come to dislike anything other than true remakes. I have so many consoles available that there is no point in me not just to play the original (barring cost). A completely overhauled version gives me a reason to actually re-play a game. The difference is when I never played the original, in that case I'm fine playing whichever I can get, especially if the original never officially came here (like Tales of Phantasia). I have no reason to get an HD version if I have the original. Digital versions (especially playable on handhelds) are another positive selling point. On the other hand, there are so many new games coming out, and real life is getting busier, so playing games I've already played before is becoming less interesting to me for anything but games I really loved. I actually like well done android versions of games, and I find it amusing when people complain about the platforms out of some weird sense of pointless animosity toward them, then again I play them only on tablets (though IAP can burn in hell). Then again I think the mobile game development is still in its infancy and they have a lot more to figure out in how to best implement the control of the game.

I can think of a lot of games I'd love to see remade or otherwise made available digitally. Most of them are for more obscure systems I never owned- Saturn games for instance. Some are games that exist but were never localized. And then there are some that are really old, and live in copyright owner limbo - like the old SSI Gold Box games. On the other hand, I'm hitting critical mass in my backlog and recently decided I only will buy games for the most current gen consoles I already possess.

If I had to choose one, I really want the Dragon Quest 7 remake to come here. But something that doesn't exist- I really want to see a modernized version of Daggerfall using Skyrim's engine, using the original ambitions and goals they wanted for Daggerfall- enhanced from what we actually got but including all the stuff in the design docs that they had to cut out for time and lack of feasibility at the time to actually implement. That game was my absolute favorite in the series, and its always disappointed me how the following games were dumbed down to appeal to the average joe.

Anyway, love the conversation. Can't wait to hear more.
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2014
    smacd wrote: »
    . Can't wait to hear more.

you say that now, but wait till i start pitch shifting everything to play with your listening habits.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Hands off the parfait! Administrators
    edited March 2014
    While I buy many remakes/ports, they are almost all of games I have never played. That's a new game to me, so I don't really count that. Out of all of the RPGs I've played over the years, I've only bought three re-releases of games I already own and have played: Pokemon LeafGreen, Pokemon HeartGold, and Devil Survivor Overclocked. The Pokemon ones were largely for collecting purposes. I at first saw no need to get them, and at the time, the save batteries on the original Game Boy Games had yet to run dry (they are now, though). However, there was no way to trade/transfer Pokemon from the first two generation games to the then-new third generation. While later games would include older Pokemon, at the time the only way to catch 'em all was to get FireRed and LeafGreen as well as Pokemon Colosseum. I had less of a need for HeartGold since due to Colosseum, but I ended up buying it anyway after realizing I still had two legendary Pokemon I did not own at the time to complete my Pokedex: Lugia and Kyogre.

As for Devil Survivor, apparently full voice acting and lots of extra additions, including what is essentially a new chapter depending on the ending obtained is enough to get me to buy a game, even if I already owned the original, love it, and had played through it at least twice. :P Overall though, I almost never get remakes/ports of games I've played already.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs