If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

A Year of One Hit Wonders -April - The Last Story

2»

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited April 2014
    Best response I had to the narrator saying things was that guy from Freakazoid in the episode Candlejack.

"And now you know the rest of the story...good day."
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • StrawberryEggsStrawberryEggs Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited April 2014
    Just started chapter 23...after finishing chapter 25. Yay for playing chapters out of order, even if 25 is a side chapter. :D

Man are the bosses brutal in New Game+ After the Lesser Shade book took a while to take down, I trained Zael, Mirania and Dagran in the Dark Spirit Passage. Even then, the Kraken took a long while, and Mirania and Lowell were out for several minutes. If there is some way to keep them from dying to the falling rocks, I didn't figure it out.

I also somehow missed the little bit of Syrenne's past revealed around these chapters the first time through. It's always fun to learn about cool characters. :)

Edit - Made it up to chapter 32. I think I can finish 12 chapters in two days, but these boss fights are surprisingly tough. I can even the odds by grinding on summons circles, but that takes time as well, almost as much as dying repeatedly to bosses. I tend to find the losses more invigorating than frustrating. :P

The term "the Outsider" sounds so grandious and mysterious, but when you find out that it's a
    Spoiler:
    magic meteorite that creates planets, but sucks the life force out of already existing planets,
    somehow it's not as mystical. :P
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited April 2014
    Finished Chapter 28 and still going strong. Going to try to binge a bit tomorrow, but I don't think I'll quite make the deadline. In other news, I finished Season 2 of the Arena, and the end was ridiculous. Not sure whose idea that was, but bravo for really stepping out of the mood to come up with that.
    edited April 2014
    I was hoping to get up to chapter 38 tomorrow, then do the final 6 chapter tonight. I started nodding off after starting chapter 36. Oh well.

There is a fine line between difficult and invigorating and difficult and frustrating. That line was crossed with Mithra. Silencing it by using Gale on Forest spells worked until it has about 40% of its HP left. Then is starts attacking with a more powerful version of its own silence spell that can't be Guard Countered. After several tries, I managed to beat it by using the stupid looking Dragon Armor and taking advantage of Callista's Ancient Barrier.

I was enjoying the harder bosses, but it later bouts are going to be this hard, I'll wish I hadn't replayed this on New Game+. What's even better is that while max level for your characters is 99, bosses and certain enemies can go over 100. Mithra was 115. XP
    Bravely second...

edited May 2014
    In to chapter 34, but I discovered that I don't have the leeway I thought I did on finishing this game. I thought Radiant Historia was the May game, and my handheld time doesn't usually overlap with console time. Instead, it is Rouge Galaxy. So I really need to get this done ASAP to move on to the next game.
    edited May 2014
    I did beat the last boss, though the credits have not rolled yet. I'll post my final thoughts later tonight, but here I'll talk about some of the boss fights, including the last one. Despite being much higher than Mithra, I didn't have to restart as much on the penultimate and ultimate bosses. I didn't have to restart at all on the last one, and
    Spoiler:
    Zangurak
    only needed three restarts. I actually had a lot of fun with the challenge. Since the first round with
    Spoiler:
    Zangurak
    is one-on-one with Zael, I had to play more conservatively and smartly. I also just discovered holding the guard to always keep the enemy in sight. It helped tons. The second round was tough, but I kept diffusing Shining Circles for Deflector.

It also helped a great deal against the last boss. Geez, could that thing take damage. It probably took about an hour to beat all three forms. By the end of the third, I was down to the wire. Syrenne had lost all of her lives first, then Yurik, and finally I thought I would have to restart when Callista fell and I could no longer rely on Deflector. I used Mirania's Revive as much as possible to bring them back, and fortunately I kept the boss sufficiently distracted so that it didn't target Mirania as she built up her SP. It was worth it to spend those last few Particles of the Outsider on armor rather than weapons.

There is a thin line indeed between hard but fun and hard but irritating. Fortunately, thse last fights were the former. I had also forgotten how awesome the last boss battle theme is.

While not related to the fights, I do want to say that
    Spoiler:
    it's still touching to see Lowell brought back to life and Syrenne in tearfully welcoming him back. I'm not sure how the Beta Couple ended up having a more engaging romance than the Official Couple, but I shouldn't complain. ^^

Edit - I completed The Last Story yesterday. My opinion of the game hasn't changed too much. The story is incredibly predictable, but the characterization is just wonderful, even if Zael falls to what I like to call Dull Protagonist Syndrome. It really makes you care about this cast. The voice acting and localization is quite good, and the variety of accents adds to the game, if unintentionally. I already liked the battle system to begin with, but I ended up enjoying it more this time around. I also ended up liking the music a bit more--I forgot how awesome that final boss theme is. I really need to get around to buying that OST. While I like the focus of the game's setting just Lazulis Island, and mostly the city at that, part of me does wonder what the rest of the world is like. Here's another game I'm hoping will get a sequel (even if that's kind of against the whole point of this Year Of).

I wasn't expecting to revisit this game so soon, but I'm glad I did. :)
    Bravely second...

edited May 2014
    Into Chapter 39 now. Not finding it terribly difficult for the most part, but still having a good time with it. I've been enjoying the upgrade system since the middle stages of the game, when you start needing special items as catalysts. Once I decided not to keep all 57 weapons I had collected, I had plenty of money. Really hoping to finish up tonight, but who knows.
    edited May 2014
    Better late than never, but I've beaten the game. Final boss (before the epilogue) took me three tries, but otherwise it was never very tough. Ended up with everyone around level 60. Post-game content was a nice touch... more games should have epilogues like that. I may roll into a NG+ at some point in the future, but the 28 hours or so I put into it seemed to be about the right amount of time. Very good game overall, and certainly a game you should own if you have a Wii.