If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Couple of GBA Classics Coming to Wii U

Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/ReviewerRPGamer Staff
edited April 2014 in Latest Updates
Nintendo is adding a few more classics to the Wii U Virtual Console. This month features a decent batch of GBA titles, including these two RPGs.

[ Story ]
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• lolwhoopslolwhoops Member HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    edited April 2014
    So, SNES games can't come out on the 3DS but GBA games can come out on the Wii U? I wish Nintendo wouldn't make me question their business plan so often.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited April 2014
    It wouldn't be as much of an issue if they had cross-buy, but I also question the sanity of Nintendo's business choices when it comes to focusing on the WiiU VC and letting the 3DS VC stagnate. I've yet to hear any credible reasons why both SNES and GBA games can't be emulated on the 3DS.
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops Member HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    edited April 2014
    originally I thought I heard they wanted to keep console games on the console or something stupid like that. Considering the GBA could emulate SNES games I don't see how a 3DS wouldn't be capable. Maybe they think people want a 3D enabled revamp? There's more than a few games I want on the VC for my 3DS. Either way, the VC is not enough to draw sales in its current form.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2014
    They can't get sleep to work with GBA games, and for Nintendo that's a dealbreaker.
    edited April 2014
    Didn't seem to be an issue for them with the GBA slot on the DS. Interesting why it apparently is now.

And from a technical perspective, that's a strange problem. They already know how to do save states, functionally its not much different. If they opened platform development to opensource devs like the ones that make PC emulators, I bet they'd have a fully functional GBA emulator for the 3DS in no time.

I have a feeling that there is something else blocking it, rather than some nonsense technical issue.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited April 2014
    If I remember correctly, The DS didn't go into sleep mode when playing GBA games...
    edited April 2014
    That's right. And if it wasn't an issue then, why is it now? Just because its all software driven now?
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2014
    All the weirder because I have several GBA titles on my 3DS already, thanks to the Ambassador Program. o_O
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited April 2014
    GaijinMonogatari said:
    All the weirder because I have several GBA titles on my 3DS already, thanks to the Ambassador Program. o_O
    They're trying to sell WiiUs in my opinion, that's why it's currently just exclusive for WiiU.
    User Database Check
    Current Month and Year: March 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: Climactic Battle
    Number of Spammers banned: An ungodly number
    edited April 2014
    smacd said:
    That's right. And if it wasn't an issue then, why is it now? Just because its all software driven now?
    GaijinMonogatari said:
    The Ambassador games were promised before they realized the issue would arise. They were obliged to release those, but since they're all incapable of sleeping (and they're somewhat of a buggy mess, depending on the game) you won't see more until they solve their chief problem.

Plus, as Darky pointed out, they're throwing everything at the WiiU. They don't need to sell 3DS, especially not on classic games.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2014
    At least they don't crash completely, the way some of my GBC games would in a Nintendo SP when it was closed.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2014
    DarkRPGMaster said:
    They're trying to sell WiiUs in my opinion, that's why it's currently just exclusive for WiiU.
    Well they sure are trying to sell Wii Us, but I don't think this is really intended as a system seller or anything. Still, Nintendo really needs to find a way to do duel releases for VC stuff.
  • TintagliaTintaglia Member Full Members
    edited April 2014
    Golden Sun was a hopelessly mediocre game, and Golden Sun 2 is the most boring RPG I've ever played. I literally had to fight against falling asleep when I was trying to play it!
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2014
    I like both Golden Suns, and am looking forward to playing them again. Different tastes!
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2014
    Ocelot said:
    I like both Golden Suns, and am looking forward to playing them again. Different tastes!
    Golden Sun is one of my all-time favorite RPG franchises. It's a shame there aren't more of them.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited April 2014
    Tintaglia said:
    Golden Sun was a hopelessly mediocre game, and Golden Sun 2 is the most boring RPG I've ever played. I literally had to fight against falling asleep when I was trying to play it!
    Golden Sun was amazing, and Lost Age was almost as good. I literally could not pull myself away and lost many nights of sleep as a result.

See? I can make subjective statements as if they were facts too!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2014
    Confessor Rahl said:
    Golden Sun was amazing, and Lost Age was almost as good. I literally could not pull myself away and lost many nights of sleep as a result.

I actually liked Lost Age better than the first game, mostly because Felix and Jenna were more interesting than Isaac and Garet.

Still waiting on a followup to Dark Dawn. Probably not going to happen, sadly. I don't think it did too well in sales :(
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs The Bemused Administrators
    edited April 2014
    Well, if VG Chartz is to be believed, Dark Dawn sold about 700,000 copies worldwide, more than half of that in North America. That's not too bad. Both of the first two games sold over a million each though, so...
    Reincarnation, realization
    edited April 2014
    Strawberry Eggs said:
    Well, if VG Chartz is to be believed, Dark Dawn sold about 700,000 copies worldwide, more than half of that in North America. That's not too bad. Both of the first twogames sold over a million each though, so...
    VG Chartz is almost never to be believed. According to Media Create (the only reputable source I could find), the game had only sold 80,000 copies in Japan by the end of 2011. I have a very difficult time believing that it sold 700,000 copies worldwide with those JP numbers.
    edited April 2014
    Confessor Rahl said:

Do I have to start every post with "in my opinion" so that people don't think I'm trying to pass of my opinions as 'facts'?

Of course it's a personal opinion. Of course we all have different tastes. That all goes without saying. Simply stating an opinion doesn't mean you are trying to override someone else's.
    edited April 2014
    When your attitude is like that, yes you do. And I don't expect you'll be tolerated by the community long if you continue acting like a snot.
    edited April 2014
    In what way am I being a snot? Having a negative opinion? Saying it out loud?

I honestly want to know. People haven't been this touchy on any other forum I've visited. People can usually have opinions, even unpopular ones, without anyone going "OMG disrespectful"! They just share their own opinions and move on.

In my opinion.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited April 2014
    It's not about having unpopular opinions it's about how one goes about expressing said opinion.

Although I enjoyed both games myself I will state that the 2nd to me was more enjoyable then the first. Although I don't think having Felix as a silent protagonist in the second game was a wise design choice since he obviously had some personality beyond what we could give him as coming from the first game.

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D
    edited April 2014
    Well hey, welcome to a different kind of forum, where we encourage discussion and how you say something actually matters :)
    edited April 2014
    Paws said:
    Well hey, welcome to a different kind of forum, where we encourage discussion and how you say something actually matters :)
    That's vague. I haven't made personal attacks towards anyone, and yet you're calling me names. I'd like to know why.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited April 2014
    I remember when I was at uni, seeing guys sitting around emulating GBA games in fullscreen mode on their laptops, mutilating the pixels in all manner of ghastly ways. They were playing Advance Wars but... everthing was just blobs. I wanted to scream at them, beg them to stop playing videogames wrong, but I knew they wouldn't listen.

You never forget a thing like that.
    edited April 2014
    Tintaglia said:
    That's vague. I haven't made personal attacks towards anyone, and yet you're calling me names. I'd like to know why.
    I didn't call you a name, but I most certainly called out your behaviour. I didn't feel the need to repeat "It's not what you said, but how you say it." because someone else already said as much. But, again, if this is your attitude, it won't matter very long.

Now, this has gone off-topic enough, so let's get back onto the actual subject of the thread. Thanks all!
  • ultranessultraness Member Full Members
    edited April 2014
    I would definitely get Mario and Luigi if it were released on the 3DS eShop, but I'm not interested on buying GBA games for the Wii U (and wouldn't be even if I had a Wii U) unless Nintendo puts Mother 3 on the Wii U Virtual Console. Nintendo drives me insane with their asinine eShop business strategies. All of these classic GBA games, and SNES games, too, should be on the 3DS eShop. Meanwhile, Nintendo should be putting Gamecube and Wii games on the Wii U Virtual Console. I have so much money I could give them, but they won't take it and then they wonder why the Wii U is doing poorly.
    edited April 2014
    Well, the reasons for the lack of GBA games on the 3DS are a bit complicated. This article gives a good rundown of why, though of course a good number of fans say, "I don't care if it's wrapped in the Virtual Console package, just give me the old games." Nintendo doesn't agree, and it's hardly the first company to refuses to do emulation or backwards compability in a way that is inconsistent with a new console's setup/UI (see: all the other console makers).

I'd certainly like to see Nintendo port more GBA, SNES, and Gamecube games to the Virtual Console instead of the really old stuff we tend to get. However, I don't think the company's Virtual Console decisions have much impact on Wii U sales at all. There are much bigger reasons for the Wii U's poor sales performance. Virtual Console issues are more of an annoyance for existing fans than a "no sell" point for most people. Dedicated Mother fans aside. :)
    edited April 2014
    I was actually going to post that article here this morning after I found it last night. Ah well. I do agree that I don't think the VC choices have any impact on the Wii U sales and that it just serves to annoy those of us that own a 3DS and not a Wii U at this point.

I fall into the "I dont care if its wrapped in the VC emulator" camp. Sort of. Actually I fall into the "they are completely doing it wrong" camp (much like my opinion on their online in general). That article explains how each game comes with a custom tweaked version of the VC, not that the VC is an emulator on the system and each game is just a ROM dump. That is both incredibly inefficient, and explains why the VC releases are a trickle instead of a flood. If they created a pretty good emulator as an app, and just sold the ROMs, much like is done for free on the internet already (albeit illegally on the ROM part), it would be far more efficiently. I just don't think that the Nintendo devs are actually all that good at making an emulator. If they opened it to the open source community, they'd have amazing emulator for the VC in no time. I also reject the premise in the article that the 3DS may not have the power to properly emulate a GBA via software emulation. The CPU in the 3DS is more powerful than my previous two android phones, and I know that there are GBA emulators that work on android phones.

On the other hand, if Nintendo did create the VCs as apps and sold just ROMs, I think there is a security issue in that people can just pop an SD card in their computer and load them with illegal ROMs. However, even given that probability, they'd still make a lot more money with the ability to release a massive catalog of games and the number of people that would buy them legit- so I think it would be worth it financially to them.

In the end, I just wish Nintendo would pull their collective heads from their collective rears, and give me/us what we want. Their current business decisions are borderline insane and out of touch with their customer base. And I'd have this opinion even if I did own a Wii U at this point. They need to fix their online system. They need to implement better VC emulators and open the floodgate. And they need to offer cross-buy between the 3DS and Wii U, retroactively.