If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Tales of Hearts

LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
edited July 2014 in Role Playing Games
Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

Comments

• smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited April 2014
    It's been the rumor for a few days since the gamestop page showed up. I'm taking it at face value. My big concern is whether this will be coming physical-only or if I can get it digitally, and I haven't been able to find that information anywhere.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2014
    It's commonplace as part of planning a localization that retailers are alerted a title is coming; it doesn't guarantee it'll be released, but it's indicative it was, at the very least, considered seriously. That being said, I wasn't able to see if the page had an english box art -- if it did, then yeah, chances are quite high. They would've received it at DPS.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited April 2014
    Paws wrote: »
    It's commonplace as part of planning a localization that retailers are alerted a title is coming; it doesn't guarantee it'll be released, but it's indicative it was, at the very least, considered seriously. That being said, I wasn't able to see if the page had an english box art -- if it did, then yeah, chances are quite high. They would've received it at DPS.

I didn't see a box art, But it did say "Tales of Hearts - Gamestop Exclusive Release" So I want to think that chances are pretty high. I wouldn't think they'd make the y'd put the game up for preorder and make the webpage if it wasn't at least 90% legit.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited April 2014
    I was able to pre-order (haven't checked, but it's probably been cancelled). I imagine it just wasn't ready to be announced yet.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • SweetieAsheSweetieAshe qt = π Full Members
    edited April 2014
    I can hope it was just a premature announcement and they're not just going to pull it. I've been playing Hearts on my DS, but apparently the Vita version is very good (regardless of what certain unnamed websites will say). There's a fantranslation for both Tempest and Innocence, so having Hearts in English would be so good. Plus it's a nice tiding over between Xillia 2 and Zestiria, since if it is coming out, it would probably be in the fall, with Xillia 2 coming out in the summer.

Then again, Bamco hasn't CONFIRMED the NA release date for Xillia 2 yet, have they? I've seen a few sites saying July 24, but nothing from Bamco themselves.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy Explorers (3DS), The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (PC), Atelier Rorona ~The Alchemist of Arland~ (PS3)
    "I blame myself for underestimating the beast that is sex appeal..." - Agnes Oblige
    edited April 2014
    Well, Wheels hated the Vita version of Tales of Hearts, but says the DS one is great. I'd say this is happening. Gamestop just jumped the gun like we've seen happen plenty of times before.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited April 2014
    Macstorm wrote: »
    Well, Wheels hated the Vita version of Tales of Hearts, but says the DS one is great. I'd say this is happening. Gamestop just jumped the gun like we've seen happen plenty of times before.

I've seen Wheels say it was not good but I didn't see any explanation about why, and Stealth____ said it wasn't good as well. I asked Stealth____ and the reasoning seemed to be fairly ridiculous. He cited things like voice acting (which would obviously be re-done for a western localization), bugs and glitches (often get fixed during localization, though depending on what they are can be annoying), and he seemed to dislike the graphics (as far as I'm concerned, graphics are unimportant). I can understanding some people disliking specific games, however even GameFAQs seems pretty positive on this one. I'd like to hear why Wheels disliked it though.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited April 2014
    I thought that the graphics were nice, personally.
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    edited April 2014
    I'm actually playing Tales of Hearts R right now. I didn't play the DS version so I can't say if the DS version is amazing or something, but I don't think the Vita version is bad. It certainly plays a lot better than Tales of Innocence R.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2014
    smacd wrote: »
    I've seen Wheels say it was not good but I didn't see any explanation about why, and Stealth____ said it wasn't good as well. I asked Stealth____ and the reasoning seemed to be fairly ridiculous. He cited things like voice acting (which would obviously be re-done for a western localization), bugs and glitches (often get fixed during localization, though depending on what they are can be annoying), and he seemed to dislike the graphics (as far as I'm concerned, graphics are unimportant). I can understanding some people disliking specific games, however even GameFAQs seems pretty positive on this one. I'd like to hear why Wheels disliked it though.

There's two ways I can tell you why it's a stinker (more detail in mailbag intro next week) and I'll just give you some bullet points for each way:

In comparison to the original DS game:
    -Ditches the MP-less glory of the original's 2D action focused combat for generic 3D Tales combat. Hearts for the DS has one of the best battle systems in the series. Hearts R not so much.
    -Original DS game had on screen enemies like most more modern games in the series and the new game (with more technology at its disposal) has random battles
    -This point will vary person to person of course but I found the sprites in Hearts DS to be very cool and well done and the 3D models and environments in Hearts R to be pretty lackluster especially for a Vita game.
    -Tales of Hearts DS used the Graces F method of ditching a world map in favor of a more natural selection of areas connecting the major locations in the world. Hearts R goes back to a boring and generic world map.

On it's own
    -Not the worst battle system in the series, but the series can do far far better
    -Random battles that feel completely out of place, especially for fans who have exclusively played the 3D Tales
    -DEAR LORD THAT BUTT UGLY WORLD MAP
    -I find the graphics to be incredibly lackluster and I've played VALHALLA KNIGHTS 3 on the system

If you can extract some enjoyment out of the thing I applaud you, just know that this is an incredibly downgraded version of one of the finest games to bear the Tales name. If this causes the fan translators working on Hearts DS to stop their project I will be legit depressed. The Tales series has too many fine entries for me to accept settling for this mediocre effort.

(p.s.: No seriously the original DS version is really great and I may give away a copy in an upcoming mailbag)
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • JungyinJungyin Member Full Members
    edited April 2014
    Wheels' description sounds like they tried to take Innocence R, repaint it in Heart's colours, and call it a day. And Innocence R was apparently already worse than Innocence DS.
    edited April 2014
    Jungyin wrote: »
    Wheels' description sounds like they tried to take Innocence R, repaint it in Heart's colours, and call it a day. And Innocence R was apparently already worse than Innocence DS.

That's it to a T (or R I guess)
    sig.gif
  • jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2014
    I get that you think the Vita version is dramatically inferior to the DS game, but that doesn't seem to be relevant anymore. Localizing a DS game isn't viable at this point so this isn't really a choice between two versions of a game. The pertinent question is whether the Vita version is worth $40 and worth the time to play.
    edited April 2014
    jscarpe wrote: »
    I get that you think the Vita version is dramatically inferior to the DS game, but that doesn't seem to be relevant anymore. Localizing a DS game isn't viable at this point so this isn't really a choice between two versions of a game. The pertinent question is whether the Vita version is worth $40 and worth the time to play.

I don't see how it's not relevant. The DS version is better, it exists, and it's more fun even with the language barrier than the vita version would be without. It's also easy to find for well under $40 (especially the cgi movie version).

If we pretend for a second there is no DS version, my response to the game would have been this:

Why on system more powerful than the ps2 am I playing a tales game that feels like a cheap knockoff of a proper series title?
    sig.gif
  • jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2014
    Okay, from my perspective, I don't see myself playing a story heavy game in Japanese nor do I see myself taking the time to play a hacked ROM in English so the DS version might as well not exist for me. I know a few people I follow are really down on the Vita version, but their complaints are usually framed by how awesome the DS version is in comparison. Then again, half my twitter feed exploded with glee yesterday at the news but maybe I follow too many Tales/Vita fans who will cheer any news of localizations. Guess I'll have to read reviews and (hopefully) play demo before purchasing.
    edited April 2014
    Okay, from my perspective, I don't see myself playing a story heavy game in Japanese nor do I see myself taking the time to play a hacked ROM in English so the DS version might as well not exist for me. I know a few people I follow are really down on the Vita version, but their complaints are usually framed by how awesome the DS version is in comparison. Then again, half my twitter feed exploded with glee yesterday at the news but maybe I follow too many Tales/Vita fans who will cheer any news of localizations. Guess I'll have to read reviews and (hopefully) play demo before purchasing.

I don't know what else to tell you. It's a mediocre Tales game whether or not the DS version ever existed.
    sig.gif
    edited April 2014
    maybe I follow too many Tales/Vita fans who will cheer any news of localizations.
    I know I do, so I'd imagine that could easily be the case. :)
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited April 2014
    Looks like the Gamestop link has been taken down
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    edited April 2014
    Yeah, came down Monday as soon as business day started. Not surprising.
    edited April 2014
    What I'm kinda seeing is the milieu I've seen from a fair number of Western Tales fans... and that's "why are we getting x when we could get much better y?" Given the series' history in the West, personally I'm glad we're getting ANYTHING, especially with Baba's comments last year about bringing over the Vita Tales games, since we haven't gotten ANY of the portable games since Radiant Mythology (I wouldn't count Abyss 3DS since that's basically a reused script and VA). So just the sheer fact we're getting anything?

I'm not sure, but this kind of back-and-forth attitude regarding the series might've been why it dropped off the radar for so long after Vesperia -- it took us four years from the original launch of Graces (albeit the Wii version was full of bugs) to get the version that we got. I know people who waited so long for an announcement about Xillia that they imported because they were positive that Graces was just a fluke and we weren't getting anymore Tales, as per usual. So the fact that Bamco is actually PROMOTING and giving us MORE Tales games, regardless of relative quality -- ESPECIALLY with the Zestiria release announcement showing that the West is DEFINITELY getting it, I think is something to be celebrated.

And as we show that, yes there is interest in the West, we'll start seeing more of the quality titles. For every Chrono Trigger, there is a Chrono Cross. It's not exactly an apt analogy, and perhaps I'm just naive or something, but I don't see the point in hating on something we see rarely that we want to see more of.

Of course, the other issue is that the Vita ports had practically NO budget to speak of, so I'm not sure if that attributes anything to the lackluster quality of them. As it stands, all three of the DS games had different battle systems that were vastly different from the rest of the main series (with the exception of Tempest which was most similar to Rebirth). Innocence R still has the ability to chain combos like mad, and it's even more broken in that regard with Hermana and Ruca (Spada is broken as usual). It's also got an additional leveling system to replace the Styles that was in the DS version. I'm one of those strange people who considers it to be a different game from the original, but not inferior to it. Having played only a little bit of Hearts (I just got Jadeite into the battle party and am currently doing the plotline with Innes) and only having seen rather than played Hearts R, I'd be curious to see if I felt the same way, given how divisive it seems to make the fanbase.

I'd also like to add, though it really has no pull for this discussion, that no Tales "remake" has had the same battle system as the original? With the exception of Graces f (which added a system that the Wii version didn't have -- Accel Mode), Destiny Director's Cut introduced the CC system (the original was basically Phantasia with some updates) and... those two are really the only ones besides these. So I don't even know where I was going with this. ^^; Guess I'm just saying... no Tales game is the same as another, whether for better or worse. The only ones I've seen be almost the same are the RM games and Xillia 1 and 2 (2 just added/removed a few systems).
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy Explorers (3DS), The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (PC), Atelier Rorona ~The Alchemist of Arland~ (PS3)
    "I blame myself for underestimating the beast that is sex appeal..." - Agnes Oblige
    edited April 2014
    What I'm kinda seeing is the milieu I've seen from a fair number of Western Tales fans... and that's "why are we getting x when we could get much better y?" Given the series' history in the West, personally I'm glad we're getting ANYTHING, especially with Baba's comments last year about bringing over the Vita Tales games, since we haven't gotten ANY of the portable games since Radiant Mythology (I wouldn't count Abyss 3DS since that's basically a reused script and VA). So just the sheer fact we're getting anything?

We haven't gotten anything but Abyss on portable since Radiant Mythology, but by and large almost all those portable entries (including Radiant Mythology) aren't very good. So I'm not sure getting mediocre portable entry is a good thing, since it'll probably just do fine and contribute to them continuing to not put much effort (i.e. money) into making good portable entries in the series. Other than Hearts and Abyss (which is a great port) and a few other PSP ports the series doesn't exactly have a glowing reputation on portables (Phantasia GBA anyone?) which has continued with the hilariously bad Phantasia iOS.

Obviously those of us who have played the original Hearts are going to be miffed and angry because well, it was just THAT good, and Hearts R is just not. Still, it's not like VALHALLA KNIGHTS 3 bad, so I'm sure many will be able to extract some enjoyment out of it, and I'd heartily recommend it as a way to support JRPGs over you know, anything by idea factory.
    I’m not sure, but this kind of back-and-forth attitude regarding the series might've been why it dropped off the radar for so long after Vesperia -- it took us four years from the original launch of Graces (albeit the Wii version was full of bugs) to get the version that we got. I know people who waited so long for an announcement about Xillia that they imported because they were positive that Graces was just a fluke and we weren't getting anymore Tales, as per usual. So the fact that Bamco is actually PROMOTING and giving us MORE Tales games, regardless of relative quality -- ESPECIALLY with the Zestiria release announcement showing that the West is DEFINITELY getting it, I think is something to be celebrated.

This “not getting Tales as per usual” attitude people used to have is pretty hilarious. Taking the portable entries out of the equation for a second (I’ll get back to those), we hadn’t missed a main console entry in some form since freaking REBIRTH. Obviously I can forgive a bit of uneasisness for that time period since there wasn’t much going on, but in retrospect that sort of lull in releases in the west is perfectly understandable. Vesperia PS3 (FYI: we’re not having a discussion about this here, I’m making this point and we won’t be mentioning it further) didn’t make it over for some reason or another, but we GOT Vesperia so whatever. Graces Wii was a complete and utter mess, they had to recall it remember? I’d be shocked if that version wasn’t localized due to both the bugs, and the possibility of localization work making them WORSE. So naturally when there was a better version of Graces it was actually announced for release pretty quickly after the Japanese release, and we at least got a Xillia announcement well ahead of its Western release. So an odd lull in series release history, but one that’s largely easy to explain (also Hearts DS is around the same time but at this point we had started missing lots of DS releases due to piracy and dipping sales and what not).

Let’s talk about the portable titles for breif second- There’s lots of reason we didn’t get some of the titles, and little excuse we didn’t get others. I will say it is good we didn’t get Tales of the Tempest because that wouldn’t have done anything good for the reputation of the series here (I mean it was so bad they removed it as a “main series” title). Many of you will remember the tales of Sony rejecting 2D titles and ports and such for the PSP (and maybe PS2?) so though I have no evidence this prevented us from getting some of the PSP games, it seems likely. That would explain why Namco brought over the “lovely” Radiant Mythology and not the already translated Tales of Eternia. So it’s quite possibly that its Sony’s fault it took so long for us to see the “destiny-remake” branch of the series.
    And as we show that, yes there is interest in the West, we'll start seeing more of the quality titles. For every Chrono Trigger, there is a Chrono Cross. It's not exactly an apt analogy, and perhaps I'm just naive or something, but I don't see the point in hating on something we see rarely that we want to see more of.

Except that we REALLY don’t rarely see Tales. We see them quite often, there’s just this bizarre perception that we don’t because Namco pushes so many extra Tales related nonsense on the Japanese market. There are some very import and very good titles we’ve missed for sure, but by and large that has been a rare occurrence for a very long time.
    Of course, the other issue is that the Vita ports had practically NO budget to speak of, so I'm not sure if that attributes anything to the lackluster quality of them. As it stands, all three of the DS games had different battle systems that were vastly different from the rest of the main series (with the exception of Tempest which was most similar to Rebirth). Innocence R still has the ability to chain combos like mad, and it's even more broken in that regard with Hermana and Ruca (Spada is broken as usual). It's also got an additional leveling system to replace the Styles that was in the DS version. I'm one of those strange people who considers it to be a different game from the original, but not inferior to it. Having played only a little bit of Hearts (I just got Jadeite into the battle party and am currently doing the plotline with Innes) and only having seen rather than played Hearts R, I'd be curious to see if I felt the same way, given how divisive it seems to make the fanbase.

Well, no the DS games did not have vastly different battle systems from the rest of the series. Tempest actually isn’t even similar to Rebirth. They both used a “three lane” system, but in very different ways. Rebirth uses it in a “Guardian Heroes” type way where the combat plays out in a 2D way but there are different lanes to switch to. Rebirth uses it in a way that just feels like a weird dumbed down version of your typical 3D Tales with no freerun.

Innocence is typical 3D Tales, with some bits of its own flair.

Hearts is the freshest of the three, but it is just an evolution of the Destiny-remake branch of the series. So no, none of them are really vastly different from the rest of the series. I’m sure Innocence R is different in a lot of ways from the original, but not anything on the level of Hearts R. You have no idea how much my heart sank when I saw the first screens of Hearts R and saw the “TP” bar. I don’t think I’ve yet to see a Hearts DS fan say they like R :(.
    I'd also like to add, though it really has no pull for this discussion, that no Tales "remake" has had the same battle system as the original? With the exception of Graces f (which added a system that the Wii version didn't have -- Accel Mode), Destiny Director's Cut introduced the CC system (the original was basically Phantasia with some updates) and... those two are really the only ones besides these. So I don't even know where I was going with this. ^^; Guess I'm just saying... no Tales game is the same as another, whether for better or worse. The only ones I've seen be almost the same are the RM games and Xillia 1 and 2 (2 just added/removed a few systems).

A few things. Graces f isn’t a remake. It’s just an updated port with additional content.

Most of the Phantasia remakes pretty much keep the combat in tact. Destiny PS2 is really kind of its own thing in the series, and based on the fact that core system got used in a bunch of other games going forward I wonder if they just used a remake of a familiar game as a way to test it out.

As for Hearts R, it really doesn’t feel like a remake so much as a demake. I know that sounds like more whining, but remember which of these two uses random encounters (hint not the newer one).

Anyway, don’t let my broken heart (pun intended) stop you from buying this game people. There’s far worse JRPGs out there on Vita (I reviewed one of them!). Just go in with very low expectations.
    sig.gif
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited April 2014
    Wheels wrote: »
    Just go in with very low expectations.
    The story will never be worse than Graces F (save future arc, which actually had good story), the gameplay will never be worse than Phantasia. I list Phantasia as worst gameplay for the series because well...it was the starting point and each Tales battle system has gotten progressively better, with none annoying me as much as that one.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited April 2014
    The story will never be worse than Graces F (save future arc, which actually had good story), the gameplay will never be worse than Phantasia. I list Phantasia as worst gameplay for the series because well...it was the starting point and each Tales battle system has gotten progressively better, with none annoying me as much as that one.

Well just be glad you've never had the "pleasure" of playing Tales of the Tempest.
    sig.gif
    edited April 2014
    I think I'm one of those weird people who doesn't really like Abyss 3DS because I'm just so used to the PS2 version that... well, I've been seeming to get miffed by any little thing that's not like it haha. Namely how there isn't any new voice work (which I can understand because expensive) and how choppy skits look (portraits move around like the framerate just dove to 10fps). They're nitpicks, I totally admit, and I love having a portable Tales game that's not RM, but I'd probably pick the PS2 version over the 3DS version, load times included.

Yeah, kinda true I'm embodying that attitude a bit myself heh. I guess I get kinda eh when I look at my collection (which includes all the English Tales games plus a few imports) and seeing the names we didn't get and getting attached to that. Also maybe a twinge of seller's regret when I look at my copy of Vesperia? But yes, I don't mean to have a conversation on the validity or issues regarding Vesperia PS3. As for the portable titles... Other than the "Tales of the World" titles (I'm going to include Phantasia X in there because the other three Narakiri Dungeon games have the TotW title) and the Phantasia remakes (which I admit I COMPLETELY forgot about somehow because it was 2am?! heh), the only things on the PSP were ports of Eternia, Rebirth, and Destiny 2, along with the LOVELY clones of Twin Brave and VS. As a note I own two of the ports and have played the other three (and need to get back to doing more Rebirth).

Think... I referenced this point in the last paragraph.

Maybe I just see more differences than similarities? I have played all three of them, though I haven't finished all three. I've even got a nice import copy of Innocence I got at a con many years back. :) It does get me to wondering though... Why Hearts R and not Innocence R? Admittedly they're not "great" remakes, but Innocence I feel is a better redone entry than Hearts. There's also a possibility that they went to a traditional 3D Tales system as a way to introduce new players, but even that seems a little shaky. The system in Hearts wasn't too difficult to understand, even through the language barrier. So I'm mostly going to attribute it to lack of budget.

I think with Graces it's partly semantics, partly I WAS TIRED, but point taken. And I can't believe I forgot the Phantasia remakes, considering I'm playing three of them at the same time right now? Happens to be my favorite behind Graces. The only one I could say is different though is Phantasia X, since it updates the battle system with the series-standard Tetra Combo (3-hit+arte), and even then... but yeah that's why I only really thought of Destiny DC, since it is so different from it's original source material. Heck there are scenes in it I don't even REMEMBER in the PS1 original (like Rutee and Mary on the Draconis at the beginning of the game, or the added dialogue they gave to Leon to make him a "tragic hero" a la Destiny 2). And call me the weirdo that prefers the random encounters to the touch encounters haha... The only Tales game where I could deal with the now series-standard touch encounters was Graces, and that was because enemies are spaced so far apart. Vesperia was the worst for it, even if you could stun enemies with the Sorcerer's Ring. It's why I like Phantasia and Destiny so much (Destiny DC ALSO had random encounters), as well as any of the other 2D Tales. And don't get me started on how annoying the spawning was in Innocence. :/

Also, I kinda like Tempest in some weird masochistic way?! ^^;; Then again, I also played through Phantasia GBA three times, so...
    edited April 2014
    I think I'm one of those weird people who doesn't really like Abyss 3DS because I'm just so used to the PS2 version that... well, I've been seeming to get miffed by any little thing that's not like it haha. Namely how there isn't any new voice work (which I can understand because expensive) and how choppy skits look (portraits move around like the framerate just dove to 10fps). They're nitpicks, I totally admit, and I love having a portable Tales game that's not RM, but I'd probably pick the PS2 version over the 3DS version, load times included.

Fair enough! It was my first (and favorite pre-Graces f) Tales so I'll take it how I can get it.

Yeah, kinda true I'm embodying that attitude a bit myself heh. I guess I get kinda eh when I look at my collection (which includes all the English Tales games plus a few imports) and seeing the names we didn't get and getting attached to that. Also maybe a twinge of seller's regret when I look at my copy of Vesperia? But yes, I don't mean to have a conversation on the validity or issues regarding Vesperia PS3. As for the portable titles... Other than the "Tales of the World" titles (I'm going to include Phantasia X in there because the other three Narakiri Dungeon games have the TotW title) and the Phantasia remakes (which I admit I COMPLETELY forgot about somehow because it was 2am?! heh), the only things on the PSP were ports of Eternia, Rebirth, and Destiny 2, along with the LOVELY clones of Twin Brave and VS. As a note I own two of the ports and have played the other three (and need to get back to doing more Rebirth).

Oh I understand completely. To look at the entire library of the series is painful because you get to see the entire line of awesome Destiny-remake games with nary a localization (or even fan translation) to be found. That can be painful. (Why are there multiple Phantasia fan translations but no Destiny Remake?!?!?!!?). That said, it's less painful when you look at things as they come out, think about the weird sony policies, and look at how many we DID get, you realize we've done quite well and to suggest otherwise is a bit silly. Heck being a series prone to re-releases there's always a chance those old gaps will be filled in anyway, and with fan translations we could end up with even some of the random side games (which we should honestly never expect to get).
    Think... I referenced this point in the last paragraph.

Maybe I just see more differences than similarities? I have played all three of them, though I haven't finished all three. I've even got a nice import copy of Innocence I got at a con many years back. :) It does get me to wondering though... Why Hearts R and not Innocence R? Admittedly they're not "great" remakes, but Innocence I feel is a better redone entry than Hearts. There's also a possibility that they went to a traditional 3D Tales system as a way to introduce new players, but even that seems a little shaky. The system in Hearts wasn't too difficult to understand, even through the language barrier. So I'm mostly going to attribute it to lack of budget.

It's really baffling to say the least. We could point to budget, but wouldn't it have been easier and cheaper in that case to just straight out port Hearts to the Vita and upres the sprites? Rather than having to create all the art assets? It truly is a pretty baffling remake. Wish someone would interview whoever was in charg
    I think with Graces it's partly semantics, partly I WAS TIRED, but point taken. And I can't believe I forgot the Phantasia remakes, considering I'm playing three of them at the same time right now? Happens to be my favorite behind Graces. The only one I could say is different though is Phantasia X, since it updates the battle system with the series-standard Tetra Combo (3-hit+arte), and even then... but yeah that's why I only really thought of Destiny DC, since it is so different from it's original source material. Heck there are scenes in it I don't even REMEMBER in the PS1 original (like Rutee and Mary on the Draconis at the beginning of the game, or the added dialogue they gave to Leon to make him a "tragic hero" a la Destiny 2). And call me the weirdo that prefers the random encounters to the touch encounters haha... The only Tales game where I could deal with the now series-standard touch encounters was Graces, and that was because enemies are spaced so far apart. Vesperia was the worst for it, even if you could stun enemies with the Sorcerer's Ring. It's why I like Phantasia and Destiny so much (Destiny DC ALSO had random encounters), as well as any of the other 2D Tales. And don't get me started on how annoying the spawning was in Innocence. :/

I don't think it's that weird to like random encounters! They were introduced as a way to overcome technical limitations, but what replaces them can often create a completely different feel. This is one of the reasons I love Chrono Trigger so much. There's enemies on screen, but there's also encounters where enemies just jump out at you from logical locations, so it retains the "feel" of random encounters without the silliness of it.
    Also, I kinda like Tempest in some weird masochistic way?! ^^;; Then again, I also played through Phantasia GBA three times, so...

I applaud your endurance, and hope you have more fun with hearts!
    sig.gif
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    edited April 2014
    Since the battle systems feel pretty similar in Tales of Innocence R and Tales of Hearts R, I wonder if the battle system was made first and then the other parts (story, character designs, etc.) adapted to work with it. At least they tried to makes some improvements on it, as the battle system is easier to work with in Hearts R than in Innocence R. Reading about how it was in the DS version, though, does make me sad that it wasn't in the Vita version.
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited April 2014
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
    edited April 2014
    Saw that, happy to hear :)
    edited April 2014
    EDIT: I got ninja'd. xD;

I'll probably put the money down on it after I move, since it'll be this winter apparently?
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited April 2014
    http://gematsu.com/2014/04/tales-hearts-r-coming-west-winter#disqus_thread

Well the good news is that it will be released on winter but the bad news is that the physical release is Game Stop exclusive so you better act fast or it will be Xenoblade all over again.