If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

A Year of One Hit Wonders - June - Radiant Historia

redwing42redwing42 Just MonikaFull Members
edited July 2014 in Role Playing Games
We'll move back to the handheld arena for June's entry: Radiant Historia. The game was developed and published by Atlus, and included many of the programmers that worked on the SMT games, as well as some that worked on A Year of... September entrant "Radiata Stories". The continent of Vainqueur faces a calamity known as the Sand Plague. The desert at the heart of the continent is steadily growing outward, desiccating and destroying the lands. Even people are being converted to sand. The cause of the plague is Flux, a power used improperly by the old empire which drained energy from the land. The continent has been divided into five separate countries, all struggling to control the remaining resources in the land. The main character of the game, Stocke, is a member of the Alistel military. He is wounded and awakens in the land of Historia, where he is granted time travelling powers. The player uses these powers to travel between two alternate timelines in an effort to create a better future. Combat is turn-based with visible overworld enemies. The battle system uses a grid system, with the ability to move enemies around on the grid to set up multi-hit attacks and combos. It is also possible to alter the turn order of players and enemies to set up more advantageous situations.

The game was released in NA in early 2011, but was almost universally well-received. Hopefully there will be similar reactions from everyone here. Enjoy!

Comments

• riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    I'll be joining in this month. Hopefully I also get all the way to the end this time. I have had one aborted attempt at this game a year ago, but this time around I'm making it my focus for the month.
  • StrawberryEggsStrawberryEggs Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited June 2014
    I want to finish Bravely Default, so I may join in later. I do enjoy this game greatly.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    I knew few things coming into this game:
    1. It's turn-based.
    2. It involves time travel.
    3. It has music by Yoko Shimomura.
    4. Its lead scenario writer, Yoh Haduki, was a former CareerSoft staffer before it was absorbed into Atlus, and wrote for almost all Langrisser games and all Growlanser games. It's interesting but also depressing to see how CS' talent has been dispersed across various Atlus efforts. CS seems to reform for enhanced ports, such as with Growlanser I and IV, but are otherwise spread around. The CS director, programmer, and two planners/scenario writers took lead and supervisory roles on the first Devil Survivor game (the original DS version); from then on they handed it off to other Atlus staff. Someday I hope to see them reform once more for the next evolution of the Langrisser/Growlanser legacy.

OK, enough about that. I'm looking forward to Radiant Historia. Just wish it was for home console.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited June 2014
    Made it to the first dead end of the game, down the 'south' branch of the book. I'm liking how the game works so far, though battles seem to be pretty boring right now (which I hope changes soon). Also got my first bad ending of the game, it's quite nice how the game doesn't give you a game over for witnessing a bad end, but instead throws you back to the intersection point. I'm hoping to get more play of this in tomorrow while I wait for the car to be serviced.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited June 2014
    I love this game. Got all the endings. I wish this game had a bigger budget. It's noticeable that it wasn't very big budget game considering all the backtracking and the small amount of tracks the game had. Even if there are less tracks than I would want, the ones that are in the game are great.
    edited June 2014
    Made my way through the game to Chapter 3 of Alternate History. Quite a few plot twists ahoy for this world, and I've got a new party member to play around with in battles. Standard History is only chapter 2, so I think you could say I'm at Chapter 5 of the game. Battles in this game are rather boring to me, considering how easy it seems overall for me. The only game over was because I went down a path on the way to the Sand Fortress that I really shouldn't have, and never since then have I gotten anywhere close to a game over.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • daveyddaveyd Turn-based lifeform PAFull Members
    edited June 2014
    This is a great game. My main complaint is that a lot of the side-quests are extremely tedious to complete without using a walkthrough. There's quite a few where you have to locate an NPC in a specific location and time node with little or no clues in the game as to where they will be. And you really need to do the sidequests in this game to get the best equipment / level up because the final boss is pretty tough, so this isn't just a problem for completionists. I don't want a minimap telling me exactly where to go for every quest either, but UGH!
    Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

edited June 2014
    daveyd wrote: »
    This is a great game. My main complaint is that a lot of the side-quests are extremely tedious to complete without using a walkthrough. There's quite a few where you have to locate an NPC in a specific location and time node with little or no clues in the game as to where they will be. And you really need to do the sidequests in this game to get the best equipment / level up because the final boss is pretty tough, so this isn't just a problem for completionists. I don't want a minimap telling me exactly where to go for every quest either, but UGH!
    So far the bosses have been pretty easy for me. I think it's because I've mastered that Change and turn destroying system. Actually, most of the fights in the game have been easy due to that, so it's a bit of a gamebreaker.
    edited June 2014
    Made it to Chapter 3 of Standard History, and Chapter 4 of the Alternate History. The story certainly has picked up, and I can already see a few things coming ahead of time. Yet again though, the battles are boring me to tears, the only way I'm staying afloat is because of this lovely time travel and story, both of which were done incredibly well. I've gotten the crew to at least level 39 (save for Stocke, who is level 43 because he's cool like that). From what I know, I'm about to hit a difficulty spike, so I HOPE this keeps my attention in the battles. If not, I'll be sorely disappointed.
    edited June 2014
    I'm also finding the battle system to be a bit boring too, and I'm only in Chapter 1 of Standard & Alternate. Actually it's kind of more like "tedious" at times since I don't want to take extra damage from auto-battling but it's pretty much shove all the enemies to one spot and there are only so many patterns for that.

I'm glad to see at least that poison break works, or it did on one fight. It saved me a few turns of fighting.
    edited June 2014
    Made it to the final chapter of the game, Standard History (meaning the grand finale). I've completed every sidequest up to this point, save for 3 (which I will be able to complete after I grab a certain something out of the final dungeon), so I'm pretty sure I'll get the secret ending for pulling all this off. By the way, battles are still boring to me, with the only battle that actually made me sweat was the first optional superboss of the game, that giant spider in the arena fights. I had to poison and curse him with wings, and basically just let them whittle him down while Stocke and Aht were just reviving each other whenever they died. That was the ONLY fight in the game that was a challenge to me, the rest have all been giant MEH fights. Average party level is 70, and I plan to beat this tomorrow.
    edited June 2014
    I'm in Chapter 3 of both Standard and Alternate History (anyone else still attempting to play through this game this month?). Yes the story has been picking up but unlike some other games, I didn't feel like that first part was filler. I've enjoyed all of it so far.

The traps are interesting but I find them pretty useless in most fights so far. Poison is really annoying in this game when it is used against you. I swear it seems to take a bigger chunk of my characters' HP with every new enemy that uses it.

I've not been doing sidequests for now but I might have to do it if the above issues with difficulty are true. I'm just too lazy to find and talk to all the NPCs.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited June 2014
    I haven't had a ton of time to play it, but I'm still intending to put some time in to it this month. I've only just been forced to make my first history shift, just a couple hours in.
    edited June 2014
    Oh well, looks like I missed out on Radiant Historia. I doubt I could finish the game in a week, especially since for a new playthrough, I'll want to go for all of the bad endings as well. Perhaps another time. I'll join again for October and December.
    Bravely second...

edited June 2014
    I've made it to the final chapter of the game. Suddenly some enemies can one-shot my main character. I don't think I'm underleveled but since I've pretty much been chugging along in the story with little backtracking or sidequesting, I guess I better get to that to get some better armor and stuff.
    edited June 2014
    The first time I faced the final boss it managed to cause sleep and then petrify everybody. I was a lot more successful/lucky the second time. Overall had a good time with the game and I hope that someday another game like it comes along.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited June 2014
    I also hope they actually get a decent budget for a possible sequel, but one will never be made.
    edited June 2014
    Nim wrote: »
    I also hope they actually get a decent budget for a possible sequel, but one will never be made.
    All I'd want from a sequel is more time travel story goodness like this one (it's still the perfection of time travel to me), and an actual good battle system that doesn't bore me to tears.
    edited June 2014
    The original sold well enough to get a second printing in North America. I wouldn't say never, though at the same time, we haven't heard any inkling of a sequel for years.
    Bravely second...

edited June 2014
    Being only 5 hours in, I know I can't finish. I'll happily continue it through the next month alongside Legend of Dragoon. I'm enjoying Radiant Historia so far, I just don't set a lot of time aside specifically for handheld gaming--it's usually right before I go to bed, so I never play for that long. If this were a console game, I'd be much further!

But can someone tell me
    Spoiler:
    why there are three branches from the very first node? One path is joining Rosch, one path is staying in Specint... so what's with that little dotted path in the middle? It's obviously an ending because it can't proceed further ahead. How do I get it?
    edited June 2014
    It's part of a side quest dealing with that doctor lady.
    edited July 2014
    I'm still playing and enjoying this game. :)

Well, except for the event "Ambush Tactics" which takes place in the Sand Fortress. I had to consult an FAQ. I can say with confidence there is no way I would have figured out you have to
    Spoiler:
    disarm the bombs before the event. It was not clear to me that the bombs went off before the event started--in fact, the dialogue text suggests the bombs are still "in the area"!
    . I'm not very pleased about the whole situation.