If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Round 2, Match 19: Final Fantasy X (1) vs. Final Fantasy VI - Winner (3)

13»

Comments

• JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: Kirin Administrators
    edited June 2014
    I don't have much else to say here, but Shining the Holy Ark occurs as a title where swapping the party members around could be done, and predates FFX by a good stretch. Only at the start of a turn, but there was no other limit.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2014
    Was it required to get everyone experience?
    edited June 2014
    Nope, everyone got it at the same rate regardless. So I guess that part is a speedier thing.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
    edited June 2014
    Having everyone get experience would make FFX markedly better, IMNSHO.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited June 2014
    Paws wrote: »
    Having everyone get experience would make FFX markedly better, IMNSHO.
    You mean the Sphere levels weren't gained via exp from battles? Because that's what AP basically was in FFX.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited June 2014
    Sorry, I worded that badly. Having EVERYONE gain AP, regardless of whether they participated in battle, would make FFX markedly better, IMO. I always felt like I was forced to swap in /everyone/ for every random battle, because I never knew when the game was going to force me into a situation where only select characters were available (which happens all. the. freaking. time.); I haaaate feeling punished in FFX for liking a party setup because it was effective against most enemies.
    edited June 2014
    Well, we're missing a vote, but let's close this out anyway since the result is clear.
    Final Fantasy VI 192 58.36%
    Final Fantasy X 137 41.64%
    Total Votes 329
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited June 2014
    I hate to admit it, but I have to 100% agree with Paws.
    And not only situations where you only have a few characters available, but also situations where a few characters are simply more useful against a certain type of monster.

It's the main flaw of FFX. Only characters who participate in battle get Exp. They just need to do a single action to get 100% Exp, but otherwise they get none. I'd go so far and say that at least 40% of my playing time in FFX was character swapping in random encounters.

Edit: Only if I don't count the hours I spent on playing Blitzball.
This discussion has been closed.