If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

I just bought a PS3...

AurianAurian MemberFull Members
edited July 2014 in Role Playing Games
... What RPGs should I get? Looking for ones that are NOT on the Xbox (I likely played those already).

With my new PS3, I already bought:
Disgaea D2
Heavy Rain
No Nu Kumi (or however it's spelled...)

Want to get Last Of Us, and a Tales Game (not sure which is best... I like a good story and tend to prefer more turn based games)

Comments

• CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    I found Xillia to be way better than Graces F.
    I was overall pretty disappointed with the PS3 RPG list. Can't think of anything I bought that I was genuinely satisfied with.
  • ironmageironmage chaotic neutral observer SaskatoonFull Members
    edited June 2014
    If it's an either/or scenario, Xillia does have a better story than Graces f (I personally liked Graces' story, but it has its detractors). Graces f might have the edge on gameplay. Also, if you haven't played Tales of Symphonia, it has recently had an HD rerelease.

Exclusives, hmm... Valkyria Chronicles is a pretty good TRPG variant, although it has the occasional difficulty spike. Demon's Souls is worth considering, but it's an ARPG, with little story to speak of...

There are also some Atelier games to choose from (Atelier Rorona, etc.), but I never really managed to get into the series.

If you haven't played Odin Sphere or Okami yet, both of them have PS3 versions.
    Only the livin' have the privilege of sayin' they'll fight ta the last breath.
    And words like conviction and resolve don't mean much to a dead man...
    --Raven (Tales of Vesperia)
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited June 2014
    I have to disagree.

Tales of Xillia is pretty awful! It is super bland. The battle system isn't as good as the one in Tales of Graces, the story mainly consists of "travel to place X", it hardly has any dungeons AT ALL, it's just travel travel travel and the world map design is super bland and boring. No interesting locations or scenery just open fields with tons of monster randomly placed on it without any love for the detail.
    The characters are also not very funny. I guess some people like adult characters, but for me that just makes a boring game even more boring.
    Also the story is very political and the character seem to switch sides all the time, it very hard to follow the logic, especially since it's never made so clear who the "bad side" is and you aren't allowed to choose who you want to side for at all. The story would be more suited for a WRPG where you can actually choose.

Tales of Graces on the other hand is the best game for PS3. For it alone it would be worth getting the console. The battle system is the best one the Tales of... series ever saw. The characters are incredibly funny - the victory quotes make you laugh so much that you can play just to hear all of them! The story stays a lot more exciting and feels it more fairy tale-like which suits a linear progression better. The world map is a bit nice designed, instead of bland open fields, you follow roads all the time where each section looks different. It also lacks dungeons, though.

Honestly the only PS3-exclusive games I found worth buying were:
    Ni No Kuni
    Tales of Graces
    Heavy Rain
    Ar Tonelico Qoga
    Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls (note: hardly any story, this is pure gameplay)

Other RPGs that I didn't like at all and can't really recommend but since you might have a different taste:
    All Atelier game (lack of story, interesting dungeons and gameplay)
    Valkyria Chronicles (nice gameplay idea but execution is pretty bad - see battle royale where jcservant and me explained the problems in detail)
    All Idea Factory games (also good idea but even more horrible execution than you've ever seen, don't get them unless you want to punish yourself for something bad you did, the best IF game is Agarest - so if you really want to get one I'd recommend that one, especially if story is important to you)
    Dragon's Crown (it's fun for 5 hours or so but then gets boring, it has only very minimal story and has a lot of repetition - most charm comes from multiplayer)
    Disgaea 3 (focuses on geo puzzles even more than 1&2 which made it almost unplayable for me, haven't played Disgaea 4, but I'm afraid it's the same problem)
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2014
    I'm with Cid on this one... the PS3 just didn't do nearly as good (IMHO) with RPGs as its predecessors, especially if you focus on exclusives, only. I maintain that the PS2 is the king, three. There are a few if you look hard, though. The original Demon Souls... I don't think that ever came out on XBlox... is a lot of fun if you have patience. The Atelier games won't blow your mind away, but they do pretty well by our staff. NiNoKuni and Tales of whatever are also solid. I enjoyed all of the Disgaea games that came out on the PS3 (though, as Rya suggests, a few of the boards are puzzle centric and will challenge a part of the brain normally left alone by RPGamers). Many like Vakyria Chronicles ... and I did for a while until I got cranky at it (see our Battle Royale).
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    Thanks everyone, there are some other games I am keeping an eye on for the future too *cough* Persona 5 *cough*
    I would still like to give Valkyria Chronicals a try. Didn't much enjoy the Demons Soul on the Xbox so won't bother with the original one on the ps3.

I'll look some more into the Tales games and decide which one I want to give a chance with. Two very different opinions there! :)

My husband is squee for Disgaea and will likely pick up any others out there.

Atlelier games haven't worked for me in the past and I have been burned by too many Idea Factory games to want to try any more.
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    edited June 2014
    Since you had a 360, I would assume you played Vesperia since you are inquiring about Tales games. If you liked Vesperia, you would most likely prefer Xillia over Graces.

Of course, you can just get both!

Personally, I did not like Graces cast of characters, at all. Only the adult party member and the post-game dungeon guest were tolerable for me. The story was also pretty forgettable. Not necessarily told poorly like Vesperia, but without any of the pizzas to make it stand out (which Vesperia at least did have at times despite the structure of the plot itself). I consider Xillia probably the most balanced Tales game I've played yet. It doesn't have as strong game play as Graces but it is still a cut above its other predecessors. I loved Xillia's cast of characters for the most part, and the story was much tighter and tame than some of the previous titles. Because of this, it is also one of the quicker titles of the modern Tales games. With Xillia 2 on the way, you may get more mileage out of Xillia, since you can catch up before the next game and then ride that momentum on to next installment so you'd be current with everyone else.

Overall:
    Graces - strong gameplay, a lot of content, puerile cast and story
    Xillia - slightly weaker gameplay, more streamlined content/pacing, less clich
    ClixPsi.png
    edited June 2014
    Yeah Clix summarized it pretty good. I didn't like Vesperia so much either by the way. Vesperia and Xillia rely solely on the mature cast and are more political but lack in gameplay (but at least Vesperia still had quite some dungeons and interesting regions).

If you played both Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Vesperia, I'd say if you liked Symphonia more you should get Graces but if you liked Vesperia more go for Xillia.

It's not like the different viewpoints are wrong it's just that what you like more depends on your priorities. I like funny dialogues and care a lot more about gameplay than story, so I like Star Ocean 4, Eternal Sonata and Tales of Graces most in this generation. Others care more for story than gameplay and need a serious non-parody cast in their team and those rather like Tales of Vesperia and Xillia (and Lost Odyssey and western RPGs, etc.). I think you get the idea.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited April 26
    deleted.
    edited June 2014
    Funnily enough, all the reasons you gave for disliking Xillia apply to why I liked it. 8-) I found Graces' cast juvenile and its dialogue incredibly cheesy and downright stupid. Xillia made at least some attempt at a more adult conversation and characters, and its justification of the villains' side of things made for a more interesting story than "arggh evil evil evil". I was getting sick of it towards the end (it's a bit too long and like all JRPGs the dialogue can be corny) but Graces was driving me up the wall much earlier.

Heavy Rain was a pretty good game, though there were some very odd things in there. I keep meaning to try Beyond Two Souls but never got around to it. I'm spending far more time with my 3DS than my PS3.

Valkyria Chronicles had some parts I loved and then tended to ruin it with frustratingly obtuse, unfair and overlong levels.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    I no particular order or quality of game this is the list I own for PS3 RPG's

Cross Edge
    Trinity Universe
    Record the Agarest War Zero
    Tales of Graces F
    Tales of Xillia
    Huperdimension Neptunia
    Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk.2
    Hyperdimension Neptunia V
    Dragon Age Origins/Awakening
    Dragon Age II
    Disgaea 3
    Disgaea 4
    Disgaea D2
    Mass Effect (PSN Download)
    Mass Effect 2
    Mass Effect 3
    Atelier Meruru
    Atelier Rorona
    Final Fantasy XIII
    Final Fantasy XIII-2
    Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
    Ar Tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
    Enchanted ARMS
    Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD
    Star Ocean: The Last Hope International
    3D Dot Game Heroes
    Kingdom of Amalar Reckoning
    White Knight Chronicles
    White Knight Chronicles II
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Resonance of Fate
    Tales of Symphonia Chronicles
    Atelier Totori
    Eternal Sonata
    Atelier Escha & Logy
    Ni no Kuni
    Atelier Ayesha
    Borderlands 2
    Yakuza 3
    Yakuza 4

I also have Tales of Xillia 2 Preorder and I need to preorder Tales of Zestria

I also own Super Robot Wars OG2 which is imported. With plans to eventually get Tales of Vesparia imported

The reason I have many of these games though they are on multiple system is because my wife also games and prefers the controller on Sony to the one for Microsoft.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    edited June 2014
    Cidolfas wrote: »
    Funnily enough, all the reasons you gave for disliking Xillia apply to why I liked it. 8-) I found Graces' cast juvenile and its dialogue incredibly cheesy and downright stupid. Xillia made at least some attempt at a more adult conversation and characters, and its justification of the villains' side of things made for a more interesting story than "arggh evil evil evil". I was getting sick of it towards the end (it's a bit too long and like all JRPGs the dialogue can be corny) but Graces was driving me up the wall much earlier.
    Yeah, I think it's just a matter of taste rather than quality. Tales of Graces is really really good at being funny. But of course if you like an "adult" story, it's not for you.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    It's like FFX-2 if you expected it to be serious it's not.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    edited June 2014
    Honestly, I didn't find it all that funny either. In order to laugh at that kind of thing you need to like the characters, and other than Pascal, none of them really appealed to me. I'm finding as I get older that in general Japanese humor is getting less funny for me, though.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited June 2014
    Cidolfas wrote: »
    Honestly, I didn't find it all that funny either. In order to laugh at that kind of thing you need to like the characters, and other than Pascal, none of them really appealed to me. I'm finding as I get older that in general Japanese humor is getting less funny for me, though.
    What about Future Arc? IMO some of the skits there made me laugh far harder than any in the normal story did, and the story for that arc was much better than the main story. Not to mention how
    Spoiler:
    Richard
    seems to be a complete and total troll in the skits.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited June 2014
    By the time I got there, I was so sick of the game that I just wanted it to be over. I was barely paying attention to the story or skits.
  • knownameknowname KnowJob, KnowClue Full Members
    edited June 2014
    Rya if you like em young you must LOVE the original Grandia... oh and Skies of Arcadia, 2 of my top 3 RPGs of all time. Curious as you don't mention it in current ('old gen' as e3 puts it lol) gen rpgs but what do you think of Lost Odysee?? I mean other than the mature characters lololol

On PS3 recommendations GREAT!! I'm pretty much the same, just got a PS3 and want to expand my library! Games on PC I prefer there (Idea Factory- ONLY worth it if its <5 bucks on Steam!! lol), XB360 second so pretty much just exclusives (other than FF13).

Keep in mind that White Night Chronicles 2 comes with WNC1 and Dragons Dogma (I keep forgetting the name) comes with a modified tweaked version of DD1. OFC You may already have Dragons Dogma on 360.

I HIGHLY suggest PSN+... but keep in mind PSN+ games disappear if you don't renew :/ or they get hacked again lol
  • DafiDafi New Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    Have a question in the same (slighty different) venue, but cant create a thread. Why not?
    edited June 2014
    You need lotsa posts to be allowed to create threads.
    Rya if you like em young you must LOVE the original Grandia... oh and Skies of Arcadia, 2 of my top 3 RPGs of all time. Curious as you don't mention it in current ('old gen' as e3 puts it lol) gen rpgs but what do you think of Lost Odysee?? I mean other than the mature characters lololol
    Grandia just had too many dialogues to read through and a bad interface, that's why I didn't really like it too much. And yes it has lots of jokes but the sense of humour just didn't work for me most of the time so often it just didn't feel funny.
    Skies of Arcadia had an OK story, but the combat was too damn slow. I actually finished it, though.
    Lost Odyssey has an OK story too, what makes it special are those amazing short stories. I really only played through the game because of the short stories, everything else was just average.
  • KiralynKiralyn Member Full Members
    edited July 2014
    knowname wrote: »
    Keep in mind that White Night Chronicles 2 comes with WNC1 and Dragons Dogma (I keep forgetting the name) comes with a modified tweaked version of DD1. OFC You may already have Dragons Dogma on 360.

But, remember that White Knight Chronicles leans heavily on it's multiplayer, aaaaaaaand.... the servers shut down like a year ago. (That game disappointed me so hard.)

Oh! Yeah.... PS3 RPGs? Try NieR. :D
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited July 2014
    Already have it for Xbox ;)
  • KiralynKiralyn Member Full Members
    edited July 2014
    Aurian wrote: »
    Already have it for Xbox ;)

Whoops, sorry. :D Always forget that one was multiplatform.