If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Recommended iOS games

goateguygoateguy MemberFull Members
edited October 2014 in Role Playing Games
I recently came into a bit of money on there iTunes Store and was wondering what would be the best rpg that 10 bucks (9.66 to be exact) could get me on there?
If I don't make it home, tell my wife I said Hello.

--Neutral Planet President

You can find awesome fractal art at my website: http://goateeguy.deviantart.com

Comments

• Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited June 2014
    I'd say Final Fantasy Dimensions (you can buy it chapter by chapter if you don't have money for the full game right now).

Other RPGs for iOS:
    The World Ends With You (some say the iOS remake is even better than the original)
    Chaos Rings (the story idea is pretty awesome, but the gameplay is repetitive)
    Vay (remake of the Sega CD game - pretty average, but if you liked old Genesis games you will most likely feel nostalgia)
    All the Kemco RPGs (they are all average or slightly above average with a pretty bad translation, but if you are patient, you will get all of them at 80% discount because Kemco often puts discounts, so you can probably get a lot for your money)
    Partia (if you want something like Fire Emblem - be warned, it's significantly slower than Fire Emblem because of slow unit movement and AI, the strategy is just as good, though)
    Oceanhorn (because Kenji Ito did the soundtrack)

...actually my family has over 100 RPGs for iOS, so it would probably help if you could be a bit more specific rather than just saying "RPG".

There is also a great dungeon crawler for it but I don't remember its name anymore. There are also some really good indie RPGs for it.

Relevant links:
    http://www.iosrpg.com/ (up to 2012)
    http://www.rpg-site.com/ (2013)
    http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/The+World+Ends+with+You%3A+Solo+Remix/feature.asp?c=58200 (UK toplist)
    http://www.imore.com/best-ipad-rpgs (US toplist)

It also kind of depends if you use iPhone or iPad. For example Crimson Gem Saga only runs on iPhone and not iPad.
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    Swordigo is a surprisingly decent Metroidvania-style game and it's completely free.
  • daveyddaveyd Turn-based lifeform PAFull Members
    edited June 2014
    Shadowrun Returns a tactical turn-based RPG set in a cyberpunk fantasy universe

Joe Dever's Lone Wolf
    neat gamebook / RPG; especially if you're a fan of the old Lone Wolf gamebooks but even if you're never read those you may enjoy this (think a choose your own adventure book but with combat). It's episodic and future episodes are available as in app purchases.

Isle of Bxnes
    an action RPG set in a prehistoric (caveman) world

The Shadow Sun

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition not really all that different from the original but probably worth getting if you loved the original or never played it
    Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

edited June 2014
    Oooh, a way to get the enhanced edition without steam.
  • precipicesprecipices New Member Full Members
    edited July 2014
    Did you check out Elven Blood? Free and 30+ hours of gameplay, very addictive & fun.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/elven-blood/id875760225?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4
  • TheRevolverTheRevolver Member Full Members
    edited September 2014
    Bro you may try:

Oceanhorn
    Bastion
    Secret of Mana
    Chaos Rings for Iphone
  • steerpikesteerpike New Member Full Members
    edited October 2014
    Anyone know of some good turn based rpgs for iOS?

I just finished beating Gailardia 1-3 and was decently entertained. I also remember hearing of an RPG that had the same kind of Esper system a la FF6.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2014
    If you like the Atelier style, there's also Adventure Bar Story.
    edited October 2014
    All of Kemco (search for "Kotobuki Solutions") games basically. All turn based and all using somewhat similar systems to FF classics but with twists.
  • CadianCadian oh god who are you people Back and forth between New York and VermontFull Members
    edited October 2014
    I believe Squeenix just released a remake of Dragon Quest II for mobile devices.
    Twitters! Steams! Tumblrs!
    3DS Friend Code: 1435-5875-0306
    Brave Frontier Player ID: 6146529113
    Competitive Pokemon list - if you'd like tiny Lv. 1 versions, let me know!
    edited October 2014
    Cadian wrote: »
    I believe Squeenix just released a remake of Dragon Quest II for mobile devices.

Megh... only slightly interested since I own the original and remake of this.

My biggest concern being a mobile game is the ability to save instantly. With Gailardia I could grind for 2 mins or 2 hours and with a tap of the button I could save. Does anyone know if the games suggested above can or can't do the same thing? The reason I ask is I'm pretty new to mobile gaming, and I find when working 12 hours a day it's easier to lay down with the iphone than go downstairs and play a long drawn out game on a console during the week.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited October 2014
    The saving at least in DQ4 is still the same as the originals- you have to go to the King in DQ1, or to a priest in the others- though DQ4 also lets you save between chapters. There is also a quick-save "suspended adventure" in DQ4. I can't verify the other 3 DQs on mobile, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did as well. On the other hand, I've heard DQ1 and DQ2 do NOT have cloud saves, which DQ4 does have.

You can always suspend the game by turning off the screen as well. I've had little issue switching to other apps on my android and then coming back to it a few minutes later, but other setups might force close apps, and I have no idea how iOS handles app switching and background app killing.

That all said, the DQs they've been releasing have really been optimized for the mobile platforms, designed to be played one handed by Japanese on their way to work on the transit system and what not.
    edited October 2014
    I picked up Machine Knight from Kemco. $0... yeah I can afford that. lol

It's got a save button like Gailardia did right on the screen. From that I'm going to assume that the other Kemco games will have the same thing. Going back to the king is a pain in the slime. Also I generally force close the apps that I'm not using. Keeps my 4s from not slowing down and just one of those habits that I can't kick and do without knowing that I'm doing it.
    edited October 2014
    Yes, games developed particularly for mobile devices usually have a save anywhere feature. Or at least a quick save feature.
  • DombantDombant New Member Full Members
    edited October 2014
    Baldur's Gate is a good one.