If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Round 2, Match 23: Persona 4 Golden - Winner (3) vs. Kingdoms of Amalur R (2)

2»

Comments

• OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2014
    Ooh, it's an all-out attack!

P4-1.jpg
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited June 2014
    Persona 4 doesn't have a fatigue system
    It's also a little harder to compensate for manual control of characters and for all their wondrous abilities.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    Persona 4 doesn't have a fatigue system

wasnt my intent to say that i meant the fatigue system in 3 ruined the entire Persona series for me even though 4 does not have it i just can enjoy persona games after that debacle.
  • JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: Kirin Administrators
    edited June 2014
    Let's have the results, then!
    Persona 4 Golden 171 76.34%
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning 53 23.66%
    Total Votes 224
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2014
    wasnt my intent to say that i meant the fatigue system in 3 ruined the entire Persona series for me even though 4 does not have it i just can enjoy persona games after that debacle.

I can totally understand not being a fan of the fatigue system. It could certainly end a fun dungeon romp both prematurely and somewhat arbitrarily. However, I don't believe I've heard anyone express that they loathed it to such an extent that it actually ruined the entire game/series for them. If that's truly the only thing buggin' ya, I would think P4G would totally be your cup o' joe, since it does not play a role there.
  • KeldarusKeldarus RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2014
    Sorry, late to the party, but my subscription saying hey someone replied wasn't working. But streamlined was a poor choice of words. Fast-paced is a better choice. P4 combat isn't slow, but it takes a while to finish random encounters, or it can if you're not leveled quite enough, or you're grinding. Everything is quick and snappy, but random encounters with battles of attrition aren't commonplace, but some of the tougher enemies can really bring combat to a halt. That's really all I meant.

-Kel

Congrats to P4 a solid battle system
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2014
    Couple extra days for final thoughts!
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2014
    Keldarus wrote: »
    Sorry, late to the party, but my subscription saying hey someone replied wasn't working. But streamlined was a poor choice of words. Fast-paced is a better choice. P4 combat isn't slow, but it takes a while to finish random encounters, or it can if you're not leveled quite enough, or you're grinding. Everything is quick and snappy, but random encounters with battles of attrition aren't commonplace, but some of the tougher enemies can really bring combat to a halt. That's really all I meant.

-Kel

Congrats to P4 a solid battle system

Don't see that as a bad thing. Means regular encounters are meaningful and require thought.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • KeldarusKeldarus RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2014
    Wheels wrote: »
    Don't see that as a bad thing. Means regular encounters are meaningful and require thought.

Sure it is for a while, but dozens and dozens later it gets stale, when you need to more than a few levels, mashing x would be a better use of the players time. Granted P4 isn't the only guilty party and is far from the worst offender, but still, fighting mindless trash gets tiring when every battle requires thought.

-Kel
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited June 2014
    Keldarus wrote: »
    Sure it is for a while, but dozens and dozens later it gets stale, when you need to more than a few levels, mashing x would be a better use of the players time. Granted P4 isn't the only guilty party and is far from the worst offender, but still, fighting mindless trash gets tiring when every battle requires thought.

-Kel
    You would really love a NG+ then. Before you finish the first playthrough, make a Persona (mine was Kohryu due to no weaknesses and an automatic immunity to Light) with Agidyne, Garudyne, Ziodyne, and Bufudyne. Add in Samrecarm and Mediarahan if you feel like it, and Repel Light/Dark to get rid of the instant death. Summon it in NG+, and profit as you can kill almost everything with no effort. Bonus points if you make a persona with Victory Cry to guarantee you'll never run out of SP in dungeons on the MC.

Is this over the top? Oh hell yes it is, but it guarantees easy battles up until the final dungeons with no real worry outside of certain tough red enemies and bosses.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2014
    Closing this out! Prepare your anti-P4 ammo for the next round ;)
This discussion has been closed.