If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPG Trek

Comments

• RewindRewind Member Full Members
    edited July 2014
    In that case I must forwarn you about a really nasty bug. Do not under any circumstances sleep at the inn in Beran. It's the town on the southwest land mass. There is an optional event there that once it's triggered you cannot complete in the translated version, and the event is such that if you start it you have to complete it. It makes things a little more tedious in the latter part of the game, but the only way to avoid the bug, sleep at the inn, and complete the optional event is to use an untranslated version of the game.
    PSN: TLDragoon
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2014
    Hmmm...I actually already ran across that. The guy fell under a curse, and I had to revive him. Luckily, I had some tree leaf that I got from an island, and that did the trick. Was the bug supposed to happen there? He did come back into my party.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • RewindRewind Member Full Members
    edited July 2014
    In the version I played there was a never ending text loop that occurred when you tried to heal the prince. It even mixed up the characters' names. Glad it worked in your version because it's a pain not being able to sleep in Beran.
    PSN: TLDragoon
    edited July 2014
    Time for an update...

My progress slowed down a little bit, due in part to taking some good time to focus on finishing Final Fantasy V. You can check out the link for my full line of thought on it...but, to say the least, I enjoyed it. It inspired my Trek into these older series. Now that its done, I can focus more on DW2

I've got 3 seals so far... so I'm hoping I'm about half way through now. I'll write some more detail in the very near future (hopefully this weekend)

pic13-LV23 in town.jpgpic10-Found Key.jpg
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • TexsideTexside Member Full Members
    edited July 2014
    It's an aside, but: man, I dig the SNES take on classic NES Dragon Quest graphics.
    edited July 2014
    Indeed. I'm very tankful to the people who worked to translate this version. Their hard work is definitely appreciated (and, of course, Enix for making the game)
    edited July 2014
    Yeah, it looks just like what I remember from when I was young. I remember playing DW2/DQ2 with my younger brother, finding the Prince of Cannock when we were half-dead, and hyperventilating because we'd almost been dead but finding him saved our bacon.

And the ol' plain print, black and white Enix RPG newsletter we subscribed to when we got DW2. It showed up every few months at best, highly irregularly. I worry we threw those out, but if I can ever find the Giant Tub of Instruction Booklets and Other Stuff (where they'd be) at my father's house, I'll scan them if we still have them.

I also remember the dog outside the window in the left screenshot up there.
    edited July 2014
    pic09 - Treasure is here.jpg The game quickly opens up, and becomes an open world ordeal. DracoLord explained to me that my heroes must find five seals needed to open the way to the bad guy causing all the problems. For someone coming from a few generations of bad guys, DracoLord is rather helpful! Unfortunately, he does not give much direction from there. With the wind to our backs, we jumped into our ship and set sail into the open waters.
    I found a lighthouse tower to the south. I did two or three run throughs, grinding a couple of levels, and I found my first rune. As with most early dungeons, I did not run into many surprises there, but found the monsters to be a good challenge for my low level party. I then hit the open waters, once again.

Ipic11-Fisherman Town.jpg must admit, for a NES era game, the sheer open world atmosphere took me by surprise. The game does not handhold. With some clues from various NPCs (most of them quite vague), I was left to explore this rather large world. I sailed around a bit to find a new town. I forgot the name, but I did find one with enemies a bit above my level. I decided to grind a few levels there, with the inn nearby. That plan worked until I actually tried to rest at the inn. The prince in my party fell ill. I had to track down a magic seed to restore his health.

At first, this 'surprise' frustrated me a bit. I had a plan, and the game promptly sidetracked those plans. However, in retrospect, I respect just how much they packed into this classic. For its time, events like these surely surprised and delighted most RPGamers.

After pumping my levels around there a bit, and saving some money for a couple of Power Shields (which, incidentally, heal the wearer when used... a HUGE boon), I went exploring some more. I discovered a number of towns, and picked up numerous keys which, in turn, opened up new areas for me.

pic10-Found Key.jpgAfter six hours of grinding up levels and exploring, I had not found another rune. I finally broke down and scoped out a FAQ. It quickly led me to a second rune. Before leading me to the third, the FAQ wanted to direct me to several towns to do a couple of things. A smile came across my face as I had done nearly all of it during my earlier exploration. Again, the non-linearity and open world nature of the game made many of these points a memorable accomplishment.

pic13-LV23 in town.jpgThe third rune was found at another tower, blocked by terrain until you visit a town where we released a dam. The new rivers created provided a way for our ship to sail towards a new tower. With all the levels I earned earlier, I found that dungeon run to go smoother than those before.

Leveling in this game feels more significant than most Final Fantasy games I play. It's not unusual to learn a new spell that completely changes how I approach battles or make my life a lot easier. The stat increases also feel more significant. At this point, my price's offensive spell hits all enemies for decent damage (killing weaker enemies at once). My main hero, Phil, hits like a truck and can take those hits in return rather well. At the moment, I'm a bit disappointed in the wizard, Mari, but I have hope that she improves as she levels further.

More to come soon!
    edited July 2014
    Wow... y'all weren't kiddin' about those dungeons. Read on, oh true believer!

Journal of a Polygameist: Dragon Warrior II: Entry 3
    I spent more time roaming around the world in my incredibly slow boat, casting “Repel” every couple of dozen steps to stave off would be boarders. Yes, monsters accost the ship as our heroes sail around the world. Even the waters hold no safety.

I reached a point where I just could not figure out what to do next. On my own, I had discovered numerous keys, and one or two of the needed relics to move forward. However, I lacked three more, much less the knowledge of what to do with them. Numerous members of the small communities I visited during my travels gave me clues, most of them vague. I felt that even Columbo would have a hard time solving this mystery. I decided to resort to using a guide.
    The first stop took me into a fire lava cave located deep in a cave surrounded by water. Many dangerous monsters lurked inside, ready to tear my heroes to shreds. Thankfully, I learned a few new tricks in leveling up my heroes, including the almighty “Defeat” spell. This incantation proved most useful in wiping out whole groups of enemies in the cave, for the mere price of four magic points. While not straight forward, I found my way to the end, where I found an evil statue. This would late prove invaluable for opening up the way to the iced lands where my nemesis resided. However, I still needed more crests. Consulting two different FAQs helped, but the third one I found had specific information as to the location of the missing three. Frustratingly enough, these relics were not buried in deep dungeons or found in archaic castles. By searching in key areas in easily accessed areas, one found two or three of the five needed. Vague clues and persistence would lead those with lots of expendable time to them at some point, I imagine. But, for those with real life responsibilities, the exercise led only to frustration.

Eventually, my team would explore a cave which held the final crest and also provided the only way to move onto the final area. Foul magic and cunning workmanship went into the design of this dark cave, as it had more misleading stairs, pits, and hallways twisting into each other than I could shake a stick out. Seriously, that dungeon could cause the most hardcore RPGamer to quit the game in and of itself. Only with a FAQ could I even hope to navigate it successfully. Eventually we made our way into icy lands. After hours in that dungeon (even with FAQs), I hoped to find a place to rest (and save!) . I would be rewarded, but only after being attacked by new, original enemies. One of them had the power to cast defeat. Later, my party died in its entirety from a single casting. Thankfully, this happened after I saved. Had that occurred before I made it to the temple, my party would have returned back to the last town with half their gold. While we would retain our earned XP, hours of progress through the incredible maze like dungeon would have been lost.

We finally came upon Hargoth’s castle (or whatever he called himself). Entering it, we found ourselves back in the original town where it all started. In talking with the townspeople, they praised a new treaty between Hargoth and the king. Clearly, not all was right. I used a magic trinket I picked up on the way to dispel the illusion and we found ourselves in a strange castle surrounded by foes.

Similar to the earlier cave, this castle had its shares of hidden exits, staircases and puzzle like hallways. Clearly, our foes spent much time, well in advance, insuring that if the limitless supplies of monsters did not defeat us, our own despair would. So cleverly designed, no normal adventurer could hope to navigate the twists and turns. However, our group had the sacred spell, F.A.Q., and with it, we eventually made our way to a series of sub-bosses who tested our mettle in combat. Yet, they all paled in comparison with their master. With his last ounce of strength, Hargoth summoned the demon, Shidor. Shidor wasted no time resorting to a series of vicious spells and attacks that would test the bravest of adventurers. It took several attempts to beat this monstrosity. And when he finally died, his castle fell apart as we warped away.

We would eventually make our way home to a celebration held in our honor. Every town we stopped at, people sang our praises! The world, rid of monsters, became safe for travel once again. In the end, the King gave us a position on the throne and fireworks lit up the sky in our honor.

And peace reigned in the land once again….for now!

pic25-peace.jpg?w=300&h=256pic27-peace.jpg?w=300&h=256pic28-wow-for-me.jpg?w=300&h=256pic29-wow-for-me2.jpg?w=300&h=256pic30-wow-for-me3.jpg?w=300&h=256pic31-end.jpg?w=300&h=256
    edited July 2014
    For those interested, we begin the next game in RPGTrek this week... Dragon Warrior III. We have three people doing this classic gem ... maybe 4.

Find out more details from the RPGTrek blog page here. And, contact me (preferably on skype - jcservant7 ) if interested. We'd love to have you chatting with us in Skype (or here on the forums) as we play through :)
    edited July 2014
    Oh, man, Moonbrook Castle. That place's layout is stuck in my head forever.

The fireworks were a nice touch, and it was a good read. Keep at 'em! I may try to jump in with DQIV when y'all get there. I've been a bit too pressed for time to play along with the earlier ones.
    edited July 2014
    Glad you enjoyed it. You can read my full review of the game here

I may get that eventually posted on the forum here... as I know not everyone wants to hit up my blog. However, if you're subscribed to my twitter feed or blog, you can get these journal entries and reviews before I get them up on this forum, since I always post there first.
    edited August 2014
    boxfront.jpgReview: Dragon Warrior II / Dragon Quest II (SNES Version)

My brother and I continue our RPGTrek with Dragon Warrior II.

Originally released on Jan 1987 on NES (in Japan), Dragon Quest II, (Known as Dragon Warrior II in the US -the name was changed due to copy right issues), continues to epic (yet short) story from the first game as adventures take off on another adventure to save the world from the evil forces of Hargon.

As a sequel to the original game, everything in Dragon Warrior II (DWII) is bigger as you get more party members, larger lands, vehicle transportation and much more! While this makes the game feel more epic, bigger is not always bigger.

pic12-Map of Fisherman Town.jpgA cut scene at the beginning shows you that monsters are on the loose, causing chaos and killing people. Clearly, the people need saving! You start off with the main hero, The Prince of Midenhall. The king, his father, sends him out to address this evil. As a descendant of our hero from the first game, saving people from evil warlords comes naturally! Eventually, two other descendants join the quest, The Prince of Cannock and the Princess of Moonbrook, fulfilling the roles of cleric and wizard, respectfully.

At this point, close to half way, the game really opens up. The size of the world eclipses the first game by a factor of three. At first, I felt exhilarated that the game had such an open world feel to it. As I sailed around, I found awesome places to grind, new towns to explore and hidden goodies. But, eventually, I ran out of things to do. And I only had two out of five of the needed relics to move forward. I found some vague clues from townspeople, but, alas, I could not find the relics or other items I needed to move forward. Eventually I broke down and looked up the FAQ. It took two separate FAQs to find all of the required items needed to move forward.

Relatively early, the party gains a boat that allows them to travel nearly anywhere in the world. The first place they visit after obtaining their ship, Alefgard, the entire continent from the first game, albeit a bit shrunk. You visit that first town that kicked this all off, and can sail across a river to get to the final castle of that first game easily enough. I found all these references to the first game super exciting. Playing the two games in a row pays off both in story, and understanding the setting a bit better.

pic22-original enemies in snw.jpgHaving three characters, instead of one, combat flows better. Similar to the first game, the turn based combat moves at a deliberate pace throughout. You enter your party’s command, and the round of
    The main character acts as the fighter, with heavy armor and a sword arm that hits hard. The other two support him via healing, buffs, debuffs, and spells that can hit many enemies at once. As expected with a game this age, our heroes will fight many similar looking enemies. While most fights will not tax your ability to strategize in a fight, the sheer number of fights, specifically in the last couple of dungeons, will test the players’ patience and reliance on healing items. Death sends you back to town with half of your gold in tact (unless you stored it safely in the towns’ banks). This nearly takes the sting of death away, since you lose no XP in the process. combat plays out using your agility and some random factor to determine which actions resolve first.

For the most part, the combat felt balanced. In contrast with most other RPGs, such as Final Fantasy, the numbers do not get terribly large. You start off with around 10-20 hps and do 5-10 points of damage per round. These numbers increase by a factor of 10 over the course of the game. This sounds like a high number, but considering other games go into thousands, it felt low. This helps make the game easier to balance, with classes doing what I expected them to do throughout.

Speaking of the last dungeon or two, this trek would take us through arguably the darkest dungeon in all of RPGaming, The Cave to Rhone. Known for breaking RPGamers’ will to live, this cave drives has more twists. turns, and misdirections than a used cars salesmen. The first game had a few hidden stair cases, dead ends, etc., but DW2 (and this cave) dials up the ‘difficulty’ in this area up to 11. Even with the aid of a FAQ, these areas can confuse and confound experienced dungeon delvers. I cannot emphasize this enough… without the assist of a guide or FAQ, most RPGamers will pull out their hair and give up long before they reach the final boss.

With the assistance of a guide, I enjoyed the experience mostly for understanding its place in RPGamer history. However, outside of the rose colored glasses of time, I cannot recommend this game to friends. Without a guide, even great note taking and prolonged patience will probably not allow most RPGamers to overcome the arbitrary and horribly designed hidden items and dungeonsrequired for completion. Even with a guide, the game simply doesn’t offer enough to offset its weaknesses. If you’re playing to complete the entire series, or learn more about history, and do not mind relying on strategy guides heavily, give it a shot. Otherwise, you may want to pass.

pic30-Wow for me3.jpg

edited August 2014
    Salutations. RPGTrek continues with the well loved entry, Dragon Warrior III. Each week, I plan to detail my heroes journey through mysterious lands and deadly dungeons for your entertainment. If you play along, feel free to compare your experiences and leave comments about the similarities and contrasts. Please be aware that my journals contain some spoilry spoilers. If that works for you, click on the jump button and step into the shoes of this Utahan polygameist!
    JOURNEY OF A UTAHAN POLYGAMEIST

01-A pretty beginning.jpgDRAGON WARRIOR III – PART 1

Our hero, aptly named Phil, starts out in a dreamlike state. A voice calls out to him and begins asking questions about his personality. Eventually, the spirit pushes Phil into a dream scenario. In it, he hears the queen talking to herself. A nearby kingdom has a gem that she wants. It should be her’s, as they clearly do not need it. As Phil walks into the throne room, he hears the king send out his soldiers. After all, the queen just told him that the nearby country will attack, so they clearly must do a preemptive strike! Some question whether a country should rush so hastily into war based on one person’s say so. Ultimately, Phil must decide whether or not he supports the king. Once he does, the spirit pulls him back and proceeds to tell him what kind of person he is. This becomes his ‘personality,’ labeled clearly on his stat sheet.

I have to confess, I reset the game a few times when I got some results that came across as less than flattering. After finally getting one that seemed reasonable for me (Smart) I pushed forward. Early on, the king and others tell you that you can find other adventurers at a nearby guild hall. I passed on the three pre-gen options available and immediately created my own team; Shir, the wizard, Will the cleric and Win the Jester. (I heard or read somewhere that a Jester can become a sage, the most powerful class, later on). We pushed off.

04-Son of what.jpgThe beginning area, an island of some girth, provided our early challenges. We tackled a tower to find a jail key. That allowed us to talk to an old man who gave us on orb. With that we could blast through a wall blocking our way through a dungeon. At the end, we found a teleporter leading us to a new land.

The game immediately impresses with its graphics and sound. While not quite up to the level of Final Fantasy VI, the graphics’ details far exceed most other RPGs I played at the time. Battle graphics, especially, delight the eyes! Given how much time one spends in battle, this elates me to no end. The backgrounds in the fights have a nice artistic flair as they curve away in the distance, as if someone employed a special lens to take the shot. In a move most unusual of JRPGs of the time (and not seen in FF4-6), the enemies attack with fluid animation. This along enhances the battle experience significantly over its NES counterpart.

07-Party joins.jpgAs we jumped over to the new lands, it became quickly apparent that are foes were more than a match for our puny copper swords. I decided we needed to grind. While I hate that word, at least I got to enjoy beautiful graphics and animations as I saved up gold needed to buy weapons and armor offered in the next town. The party just reached level 8 last night.

See my blog entries earlier, with more pictures and jokes, over at the video game section of my blog.
    edited August 2014

DRAGON WARRIOR III – PART 2

13-Game Room.jpgAfter spending a little time leveling, I gathered some clues and determined I needed to head north. My party did not travel far before we came across a building in the middle of nowhere. Walking inside, out of curiosity, I found a gaming temple! Large statues of mighty men holding dice told me all I needed to know! I found a curator who explained for the price of a ticket, I could play a very large scale version of Parchisi! I died quickly, but after a few tries, I got a couple of handy weapons, including a boomerang, which hits all enemies. Nifty!

I continued to move north and came upon another town. They informed me that a bandit, who stole a king’s crown. Well, we simply cannot allow that to go unpunished. I headed to the tower, infested with monsters. Why do bad guys set up their base of operations in caves and towers full of monsters? Certainly those cannot provide the best work environment for their minions. Regardless, I found the rogue, retrieved the crown, and even spared his life.

14-Freaky stuff goes on at night.jpgUpon returning the crown, the king lavished us with praises, and even ask me to take over rulership for him. However, I had a world to save, so I politely declined. He insisted many times, but I turned him down until he finally gave up.

I pressed forward north to, yet, another town. There I discovered clues about a village of people, put under a deep sleep. Eventually this led to the not-so-hidden town of elves who refused to say much to me. However, I found a conspicuous looking cave nearby, so I dived right in. After fending off hordes of palette swapped monsters, I found a ruby of some sort. I took it back to the elves who gave me some powder to wake up the residents of the sleeping town. Somewhere, in that, was a short tale of forbidden love between an elf and human. I did not care, however. As the world’s would-be savior, I had bigger fish to fry.

In the next town, I found another game temple nearby. I picked up a whip which allowed me to attack multiple enemies at once. With my hero, cleric and jester all equipped with group weapons, I wiped out groups in a single round of fighting. Sweet! However, bigger challenges awaited me. Clues to a magical key would lead me to a dastardly pyramid in the middle of a desert.

25-Deadly Chest 2.jpgUndoubtedly build by this world’s version of the Egyptians, the pyramid had traps, puzzles and plenty of mummies. For the most part, proper preparation, including grilling residents for information, and patience allowed us to get through the hurdles laid out for us. However, one obstacle proved very difficult, to the point of resulting in a party wipe at one point. More terrifying than a mother in law, more deadly than dated mayonnaise, and more sinister than a lawyer…. the living, hungry treasure chest, simply called “cannibox,” killed more would-be heroes than all the monsters before him, combined. I cannot stress this enough… if you visit the pyramid, be careful when you open a treasure chest!

At the end of the night, I found the magic key….

More Journeys of a Utahan Polygameist coming soon!
    edited August 2014
    [h=2]JOURNEY OF A UTAHAN POLYGAMEIST[/h][h=3]DRAGON WARRIOR III – PART 3[/h]
    28-Not So Good At NIght.jpgAfter collecting various goodies, we noted that in order to proceed through a cave to the east, we needed permission from a king. We headed out to Portega and spoke with the people there. I believe I had to run some errand to earn his trust. Though, really, my frequent heroics card should have done the trick. Anywho, he gave me a letter that I showed to a dwarf who blocked my progress.The magic key allowed us to enter room previous beyond our ability to enter. So, acting like a group of proper thieves…errr…. heroes, we went back to every town and entered every room possible.

The land beyond the cave had new critters for me to fight, including some interestingly colored apes. Seriously, I couldn’t make this up if I tried. I found another town wither another damsel, or person, in distress. Asking around revealed that a very bad person took the victim to a nearby cave.

Still, I could not focus long on that, as I kept dying over and over to that foul creature of treasure hording known as the cannibox. I secretly suspect that the church plants these things in dungeons so that heroes will die over and over, warp back to town and pay for expensive resurrection services. I must have returned to town no less than three times. Eventually, I found the room where they hid. The rogue, who I let off the hook earlier, confronted my team.

30-Grape Ape.jpgHe and his henchmen felt the bitter taste of defeat, yet again, and I helped the villagers return home.As I searched through the cave, I once again found myself accosted by all manners of foul monsters. The design of the rooms, square in a symmetrical pattern, surprised me. Yet, as I spent well near two hours trekking through the labyrinth of monsters and traps, I could not help but ask myself, yet again, what villian, cognitive of liability concerns such as workman’s comp, chooses a cave full of monsters as his hideaway? The logic escapes me.

Shortly afterwards, I found a monestary where I can change classes. Unfortunately, no one in my group meets the pre-requesite level 20, yet. Though, Win, my jester, only needs a few more. I can hardly wait to turn him into a class more productive in battle! In the mean time, I have set my sights on a tower just a stone throw distance to the north. It is said that a book can be found in there that will unlock a secret that heroes seek! That sounds like a challenge!
    More Journeys of a Utahan Polygameist coming soon!
    See more screen shots on by blog :)
    edited September 2014
    Sorry I haven't posted in a while...life gets crazy like that.

DRAGON WARRIOR III – PART 4

32-Finally Lv 20.jpgShortly after saving the people from town, I wondered north and found a monastery. Large and well detailed, I spent some time just talking up with the various people hanging around. One of them mentioned a special book found in a tower to the north. My wary party followed the clue, hopeful that the sacred text would allow one of them to learn the secrets of becoming a sage.

For the record, I really enjoyed the tower. The tough enemies challenged my group at times, and I retreated once or twice to rest and recover. At first, I could not figure how to reach a few of the areas that I could clearly see, but eventually, and satisfactorily, figured that challenge out. Eventually, we recovered the tome, and headed back to town. Along the way, Win, my Jester/Goof-off, hit level 20.

Jesters can change to sage without using any ancient texts, so I did just that. As the game mentioned, my stats got cut in half and I started off at level 1. However, the instruction book failed to mention the way the stat increases work in the game. Without going into specifics, my sage ended up with horrible stat progressions, and at level 8 or so, had way too few magic points to cast more than a few spells. I did searched some FAQs to figure out this enigma and, as a result of my research, reloaded my saved game to pursue a different strategy for my wayward clown.

This is one of only two frustrations I have had with the game thus far. Ranking right up with the canniboxes that eat characters in one bite with no warning, the anemic description of the class change / attribute growth system leaves most players powerless over how effective their characters might become without the aid of an outside FAQ. To this day, this continues to raise my blood pressure in RPGs, especially ones where such choices have such impact over the effectiveness of the PCs. Nearly all pen and paper RPGs (from which console RPGs get their inspiration) make stat progression and the such very clear. Video game RPGs need to do the same.

With that said, after learning more about the system, I changed Win to a dealer, with a new plan to eventually change him to rogue and then warrior or barbarian. Given my newfound knowledge, it became clear that increasing the spells my characters know is really the *only* notable advantage to changing classes. Both dealer and rogue have some interesting, unique utility spells, so by rotating around his classes in that fashion, I could eventually obtain access to all of them.

37 Fight With Draggy.jpgWith all locations in that area explored, we headed back to the ship and let the wind lead us. Heading east, we found a small town called Zipangu. With a strong Asian theme, I certainly felt like I had traveled to another land altogether. The people expressed anguish as someone or something powerful demanded that they sacrifice one of their children. By contrast, the leader, Himiko, seemed more concerned with kicking us out of town than solving this issue.

Nearby, we found a cave filled with lava and plenty of monsters. After some exploring, we found a five headed dragon named Orochi. We pulled out our weapons and ran forward, promptly getting killed in the process (reminder: put gold in bank!) After recovering, we returned, better prepared to take on this great danger. After a long battle, and using nearly every magic point in our group, we hurt the beast enough to cause it to retreat. We rushed forward into the portal it ran through and found ourselves back in the Asian themed government building. A stone throw away, we saw Himiko lying on the ground, bleeding.

She asks us… no, threatens us, to keep her secret quiet. Of course, we do not take kindly to threats, but we do need to rest. So, we retreated to an inn, rested and returned. Conveniently, Himiko stayed still, bleeding patiently on the ground while we recovered. We informed her of our decision to decline her not-so-gracious offer. She turned into a dragon and attacked us again! After quelling the beast again (this time for good), the people rejoiced and we claimed our first orb. While not sure how the orb functions or of its purpose, we move forward confident that we will need it in the not to distant future.

See more screen pics and read the full journal at http://jcservant.wordpress.com/2014/09/07/dragon-warrior-iii-part-04/

• NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2014
    I just wanted to say, Phil, I've been enjoying these RPG Trek posts. I haven't played the first three DQ games, and I've only beaten two (IV & V), so it's nice to read someone else's adventures in playing these games and just living vicariously through it. Keep up the book work! :)
    edited September 2014
    Oh, thank you Nyx!!! That's very nice of you to say. I do this mostly for myself. 10 or 20 years from now, I know I'll forget all my experiences with these games if I don't write them down and I enjoy the opportunity to practice my writing. However, I do wonder if anyone enjoys my ramblings. Thank you for the encouragement!

P.S. Now that I know someone else is reading it, I decided to actually do a read through and proof it. Hah!
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited September 2014
    I've been reading it too enjoying from the beginning the comments and perspective you have shared
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • ghaleon80ghaleon80 Pass Christian, Mississippi Full Members
    edited September 2014
    I too have been following along and with each update I get that itch to go back and play some of 8 and 16 bit era games I missed like Earthbound.
    edited September 2014
    Oh wow! I didn't realize there was such a following! I'm really going to have to step up my game!!
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, it's been thoroughly enjoyable, Phil!
    edited September 2014
    Wow...thanks for all the support, again! You've encouraged me so much, I had to knock another entry out for y'all!

[h=2]JOURNEY OF A UTAHAN POLYGAMEIST[/h][h=3]DRAGON WARRIOR III – PART 5[/h]
    After our adventure awarding us the first of six orbs, our group enjoyed a long night of rest. Over a virtual breakfast at the local, friendly inn, we discussed our next move. With no clear direction of where to go next, we decided to jump in our ship and map the world. In case I failed to mention it earlier, we picked up a blank map which slowly fills in as we discover new lands. We completed a small portion of it thus far, but with a ship under our command, we would be capable of completing much more.

41 OK This is Funny.jpgIt took quite a bit of time, but the experience earned during the trip proved valuable. Our wayward Jester who became a dealer, hit level 20 and changed to rogue, hit level 20 again, and now walks the way of the warrior. Since the game eventually averages outs all stats to their ‘norms’ for a given level, the main, noticeable benefit of the exercise is that Win now has all abilities (spells) of each class.

We discovered numerous towns, dungeons and strange locations, including a few we could not yet reach. One town on a small island sold an herb that made us invisable. Later, we used it to sneak into castle that had an alert guard. While it did not last long, we did have enough time to attempt to speak to various people, whilest completely unseen. This led to one of the games’ more humorous moments, seen to the right. While there, we solved a short puzzle in the basement to find a “thirsty jug.”

40 Samantha WILL build a shop.jpgOn another continent, we met a man who wanted to start a new town. He needed a dealer or merchant to get things going. We quickly warped back to the first city, and created a new dealer character, Samantha. We told Will, our cleric, to take a small break so we could fit Sam into our party. Then, jumping on a ship, we quickly headed back to the gentleman. He asked if Sam wanted to leave us permanently. Not attached very closely to us, Sam accepted his offer and they immediately went to work.

Following a lead he gave us, we headed to a large town called “Soo.” There, we were given directions how to use the ‘thirsty jug’ We headed to some corals, dropped it down, and it sucked up enough water to reveal the entrance of a dungeon where we found the “Final Key.” With that in hand, doors would no longer stand as an obstacle in our way. Now, we could push forward in our quest.

So, we turned our attention on finding more orbs. Back at the town where we bought the invisibility herbs, we found a temple. To enter, one of us had to agree to brave its dangers, alone. Phil, the well rounded hero, volunteered. Without too much trouble, he tackled the countless monsters and traps to retrieve the blue orb. Later, we investigated the remains of a destroyed town. It appeared empty, until we visited at night. The townspeople (or more accurately, their ghosts), wandered the crumbling buildings and empty streets. The prisoner in a jail gave us our third orb. We also found a flute in an abandoned tower which would help us find more orbs.

As I close out this entry, I cannot help but be amazed at the sheer amount of content and events found in this NES title. My brother, playing this concurrently with me, commented that he is enjoying this more than the SNES Final Fantasy games he played just months earlier. Amazing!

Check out more screen pics on my blog page here.
    edited September 2014
    Make sure to tell us how that newly built town goes! I'm curious about that mechanic in such an early version. I remember it, uh, existing in Breath of Fire 2 and then some since then.
    edited September 2014
    Journey of a Utahan Polygameist
    Dragon Warrior III - Part 5

47 Another Funny Clip.jpgOur journey for the orbs and other artifacts continue. As I look at the calendar, I realize that I have precious few days left to finish this game, as my RPG Trek deadline looms near. I consumed much of my time attempting to figure out what to do next. Despite my careful note-taking, clearly I missed some vital lead or information. If I want to have any hope of meeting my self imposed deadline, I have to seek outside assistance.... so I crack open a FAQ.

Following the advice of those who blazed a trail before me, I headed off to a castle surrounded by mountains. My ship could not get me through the coral surrounding the inlet, so I had to use teleportation circles to get inside the mountain range. As I entered the city, we witnessed a heartbreaking scene. Several citizens congregated to bury a loved one whom the king executed. As I spoke to numerous people, many expressed hopelessness as their ruler, once a benevolent leader, now cut down any and all who didn't immediately bend down and kiss his carefully manicured toes on a daily basis. It did not take the investigation skills of Sherlock Holmes to realize that something was afoot!

I attempted entry into the castle to speak with the king, but to no avail. The guards would not grant us entry. Thankfully, the guard on the side entrance lacked the obstinate discipline his peers displayed. We waltzed in, and eventually made our way to the throne room to confront this tyrannical ruler. He wasted no time calling the guards and throwing us into prison. Given that we had slayed demons and hundreds...nay...thousands of monsters up to that point, I can only guess that my party members decided that the course of self restraint would result in less civilian causalities, as we peacefully surrendered.

50 Crickey I'm a criminal.jpgIronically enough, the guards did not take our master key. Nor our weapons. Nor our armor. Nor our magic items. Nor our....well, you get the point. As soon as he walked away, you simply walked right out. We investigated the prison, and we found the real king in a cell nearby. Clearly, someone using illusionary magic ruled the population! The king told us of a staff in a nearby cave that could reveal the traitor! We headed over there, retrieved it, and sneaked back into the castle under the cover of night. We used our new staff over the would-be king, sleeping in his bed, and revealed a hideous troll! After a few rounds of smack down, we slayed the traitor and restored the rightful king to his throne.

With that good deed added to our growing list, we headed to an old man who promised to trade us something useful for this staff. On the way, we stopped by our growing town. "Samanthaville" had grown considerably since our last visit, with tall buildings and beautifully paved roads. However, the people expressed displeasure with how hard Samantha worked them to get to that point. Clearly, she allowed the power of leadership to go to her head, and she lost touch with the people around her. In a later visit, they revolted and threw her into prison. She expressed regret when we followed up with her. (We had to remind Winston, the once-jester, to not crack any jokes about Orange being the New Black or anything along those lines. He can be so insensitive!). She revealed to us that she had hidden an orb behind her throne, which we retrieved.

52 Sam Has Done Well For Herself.jpgWe finally made it to the secluded, old man, who expressed excitement about trading for our Staff of Changing. Perhaps he hoped that magic would succeed where Oil of Olay had failed. He gave us a Harrowing Bone which would show us the direction to a ghost ship. We found and investigated the decaying barge, and found a stone filled with the lost love of a young, yet very dead, couple. We had no idea what to do with this mystical item, but the ancient scroll of FAQ lead us to a body of water where a constant, mysterious strong wind kept us from entering. Using the item, the love of youngins dispelled the wind, allowing us to sail to an island in the middle. Searching an abandoned prison on it, we found the Sword of Gaia. This sword, in turn, would allow us past a volcano blocking our way to the last orb we needed.

With that item in sight, we push forward hoping that we would soon have the opportunity to free our people from the oppressive shadow of evil growing each day!

Catch the full Journal with more jokes and pics on my blog!
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    edited September 2014
    oup double post
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    edited September 2014
    Of course I am a fan of your work too. I am sure your fan base is almost as big as the one of Sam(Nyx)!
    After all, is it you that inspire me to dust out my old Dragon Warrior II and finally finish it!
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
    edited September 2014
    Awww. Thanks, Ombres!!

I polished off DW3 last night. I hate to admit it, but I dove into a FAQ to get through the last quarter in order to beat it on my deadline. I couldn't meet the deadline roaming all over trying to figure out what to do next. I'm working on the final journal entry now for that game, followed by my review.. and I'm already ready to do my first DW4 entry. My schedule says I have to complete DW4 by the end of this month, so I'm hitting it hard. Since its the DS version, I can pump more time into it...I love handhelds! For a preview of all of that, listen to the next posted RPGBacktrack, where I'll undoubtedly have an RPGTrek Pitstop segment (we record that tonight)

Somewhere in there, I need to write up my review of SMT: Strange Journey, which I finally got to the end (I gave up on the final boss...I'll watch the ending on Youtube and call that one a day!)
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    edited September 2014
    wait when did this thread get pictures