If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Active Topical Banter - general feedback

Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News EditorRPGamer Staff
edited July 2014 in Miscellaneous
So our editorial roundtable podcast is now six months old (kind of, long story). And we're ready to open the floor for feedback. please feel free to tell us:
  • your general thoughts on the format and hosting style.
  • what we are missing.
  • what we are doing too much of.
  • what we're doing now you want to see more of.
  • which topics you'd like to see us tackle.
  • if Scott spent money on a voicemail line, would you call it?
  • are you interested in the Sam fan club newsletter?
  • other ideas for improvement.

Comments

• NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2014
    No Sam fan club newsletter. NOT INTO IT.
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2014
    I'm thinking a newsletter could be interesting. HmmmmMm

You can get a phone line for free...unless they changed their policies. I have a google voice account set up for free for RPGBacktrack. It's also great for texting from a keyboard :)
  • TexsideTexside Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    I like ATB a lot! I think the part that works best is the relatively relaxed, round table discussion; it makes it an easy listen, but it also contributes to exploring the topic that a more controlled approach might cut out. I think you've got a good thing going.

Nothing strikes me as being done too much. I think -- and I want to attach a few riders to the bill I'm proposing -- that you guys could use some guest hosts/participants/whatever term you'd like to apply as y'all get into more topics. I wouldn't mind having ATB occur more often, but I think approximately four hosts is a good number. You guys have routinely disagreed and offered differing view points because of the number of speakers. Some topics could draw on opinions and areas of expertise of other RPGamer staff, I think. I would, however, apply that strategically: I think the four of you have a good thing going. An extra voice is a good sometimes food, but the familiarity and your views really cover most topics very well.

I think you might want to look at some kind of question to ask the listeners at the end of the podcast; it might help spur and frame the discussion on these boards, which is always nice. Of course, I know that doesn't always go as planned.

For topics... eh, what the heck, here's a bunch:
    - emulation (if you can do this, it may involve admission of wrongdoing and I'd ask your legal team)
    - the move to handhelds and how/if it's affected design of RPGs and how players engage with those games
    - treatment of religion in video games
    - translations; I'm thinking Victor Ireland is someone who needs to be talked about
    - when Battle Royale finishes, if this is possible, it would be kinda neat to see an episode discussing the commonalities (or possible lack thereof) in how it went down and what people look for in a battle system
    - backlogs; are they a good thing, are they bad? I see this hinted at, danced around, and whatnot, and some discussion on it could be good, but I'm not sure there's 60 minutes here.
    edited June 2014
    OooOoOo...I could talk about Backlogs for 60 mins on my own :D

A few more suggestions for the pile...

- How important is it in RPGs to have the ability to make decisions? In many CRPGs, any decisions you make are ultimately superficial since the story and ending are the same. But a few standouts (Dragon Age Origins, Witcher) allow your decisions to carry heavy impact through the game and/or at the end.

- How do you feel about RPGs with Good/Bad endings... specifically where unlocking the 'good' ending requires some feat of strength... i.e. getting 100% completion in FFX-2, or making sure you don't accidentally kill your own party members in Disgaea (IIRC)

- If it hasn't already been done...the homogenization of CRPGs.

As far as what can be improved... I'm hardly one to critique.... I'm with Texside. I'm all for a free flowing podcast that occasionally goes off tracks (a discussion based podcast, so to speak.). We do it on the RPGBacktrack. Some podcasts, I like to be focused and to the point. But, since I love having and listening to free flowing discussions about my favorite hobby, its no surprised that its my preference here.
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    Would it be worth it to transcribe the casts?
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    If it were done I would read it.
    Is there a way to make a poor transcript automatically, like with voice recognition software? Depending on the quality, I might read that too, and it might not require much effort.
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited June 2014
    +1 on transcript, would be nice!

I'm more the type who likes to discuss on forums rather than listening to sound, not to mention I can't listen to sound when I'm at work.
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2014
    Aurian wrote: »
    Would it be worth it to transcribe the casts?

depends you know someone who does it for free?

ps: transcription software costs upwards of 90 bucks, and would gain us all of 10% of the listernership. so low priority.

pps: on the other hand, cross posting to youtube and using their closed captioning would be hilarious.
    edited July 2014
    Ok...thought of another one...

FAQs. When do you use them? Do you feel they're 'cheating'? Where would we be today without them? Would some games go from "Good" to "Horrible" without them?
  • ghaleon80ghaleon80 Pass Christian, Mississippi Full Members
    edited July 2014
    I'm really digging ATB. I like the idea of a newsletter and a call in line. I listen to all 3 RPGamer podcasts and I think they all provide a different flavor.

As far as topics I think discussing publishing companies such as Atlus, Square, Working Designs or many others old and new and their impact or lack thereof in the RPG industry could be weaved into a interesting topic some how. Also their rise and fall as companies could be good too.
    edited July 2014
    You know...these forums are such a treasure trove of great subjects for y'all to talk about. Take our convo over in the latest Battle Royale. We're debating whether or not Time based mechanics/choices (ala Persona 3, Harvest Moon, etc) are an awesome gameplay design decision or not.

Then there was the one we debated last night on RPGTrek... what about the 'enrage' mechanic from MMOs? For those who don't know...its where the boss usually becomes unbeatable after a certain time limit. Generally, its a litmus test to see if the party is kicking out enough DPS.

Another: Should "Aggro" mechanics be implemented into more RPGs? Of course, we've had them in MMOs for sometime, but we've begun to see them in single player experiences such as Xenoblade Chronicles. Do they add to the experience, or take you out? Do they feel too 'meta'?
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Hands off the parfait! Administrators
    edited July 2014
    One suggestion I have a discussion of voice acting, specifically, the use/overuse of a two dozen or so Californian voice actors in nearly every JRPG, as well as other Japanese video games. Do you like these guys? Are you tired of hearing the likes of Wendee Lee, Michelle Ruff, Johnny Yong Bosch, and Liam O'Brien in these games? Is is better to use reliable actors to avoid a travesty like Arc Rise Fantasia, or is this a false dictohmy? After all, there are other "bases" for anime voice acting that games could use (Texas, New York, Vancouver. Though many actors from these areas have since moved to Los Angeles, like Laura Bailey, Vic Migogna, and Spike Spencer). Maybe dicuss the casting in Western RPGs, which I'm much less familiar with. And hey, if you need an additional guest for that episode...

Otherwise, you guys are doing excellently, and I have to suggestion for impoving. :)
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs