If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Another Gust RPG Surges Westward

Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/ReviewerRPGamer Staff
edited July 2014 in Latest Updates
Gust isn't just about the Atelier series and western RPGamers will get another chance to be reminded of that soon. Tecmo Koei has announced that Ar Nosurge is heading to Europe in a few months.

[ Story ]
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    Sad Europe but not US

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2014
    TheAnimeMan said:
    Sad Europe but not US
    I don't think there's any confirmation it isn't coming to the US, besides it'd be an easy import even if it doesn't.
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2014
    Y'know I did mention
    It has been stated that the game will also be coming to North America, but no further information has been revealed at this time.
    in the article. ¬_¬ (Source of statment FYI - http://tmi.me/1etVCv )
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2014
    It has now been confirmed for US release via Twitter. http://tmi.me/1etVCv

Oh, Severin even said that in the article. :-p
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2014
    Severin Mira said:
    Y'know I did mention

in the article. ¬_¬ (Source of statment FYI - http://tmi.me/1etVCv )
    but you didn't put it in the thread, and clearly that's all some of us read :P
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited June 2014
    I hope the battle system is as awesome as in the Ar Tonelico series.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited June 2014
    Hmm, I think this just became my most anticipated game in an otherwise fairly barren year of releases. Even though I didn't much care for Ar Tonelico 3, (or Gust in general, I've come to find out), Ar Tonelico 1 and 2 were some of my absolute favorites during the PS2 days, and Surge looks as if its going to play more like Ar Tonelico 2 than 3 which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. Thankfully NISA won't be handling the translation either, as they did pretty poorly with the series as a whole. Cautiously optimistic for a great RPG with this one.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach
    edited June 2014
    Yeah, Ar Tonelico 2 had the best battle system. But I liked Ar Tonelico 3 too, though I can understand how it's basically directed to only male audience.
    "Girl, take off all your clothes!"
    "Why?"
    "Because they reduce your magic powers of course!"
    "Oh makes sense. *undresses*"
    (doesn't work in real life)
  • ghaleon80ghaleon80 Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    I've never played a Ar Tonelico game but they have my interest. The question is should I start with 1 or jump to the PS3 sequels
  • PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    ghaleon80 said:
    I've never played a Ar Tonelico game but they have my interest. The question is should I start with 1 or jump to the PS3 sequels
    Haven't any myself(did play the first game for an hour or two, not enough to have much of an opinion) but heard Qoga is by far worse than the two games on the PS2.
    edited June 2014
    If you have the choice you really should start with Ar Tonelico 1 and continue with Ar Tonelico 2.
    edited June 2014
    Well it depends 3 was odd and had some bad design chocies but lets also look at it being the first PS3 game Gust made.

2 has this really bad game breaking glitch at the next to last boss battle that means you have to beat the boss in a short number of turns otherwise it's impossible. there is also one bit of completely untranslated dialog.

I recommend starting with the first (which plays a little more like an Atelier Iris) and go from there

edited June 2014
    Ar Tonelico 3 is the worst of the series, but it's not just Gust's first game for PS3, but also Gust's best game for PS3. Also I'd claim the choice of girls is best in 3, I'd take some of those in real life too. Too bad nobody ever wanted to discuss that with me (http://board.rpgamer.com/forum/showthread.php?18957-Ar-Tonelico-2-3-Partner-Choice-%28Spoiler-and-16-%29).
  • VeghabeVeghabe Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    I only played the first 2 on the PS2 and both are still worth it I haven't played the 3rd one on the PS3 and don't ever plan on doing so.
    edited June 2014
    Don't worry about the AT2 boss fight the fight where you must win in a limited amount of turns else the game freezes up 100% of the time is a optional fight so its not required to fight her at all.
    edited June 2014
    Veghabe said:
    Don't worry about the AT2 boss fight the fight where you must win in a limited amount of turns else the game freezes up 100% of the time is a optional fight so its not required to fight her at all.
    It's not optional, You have to do it ONCE, after that it's optional

edited June 2014
    However I only had AT2 freeze during the optional fight against her and not for the 1st required fight.
  • JungyinJungyin Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    The freeze happens when she does a certain action. Normally it happens on specific turns, but you can force her to take a different action by doing a certain action of your own. That might have been what happened when you fought her the first time.
  • PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    edited July 2014
    Rya.Reisender said:
    If you have the choice you really should start with Ar Tonelico 1 and continue with Ar Tonelico 2.
    It's too bad there aren't on PSN. I still might look into getting them though. But that would be way more convenient for me. (and likely cost less)
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2014
    one of these days i'm gonna have a serious talk about the costume design gust throws down.
  • coyotecraftcoyotecraft Full Members
    edited July 2014
    September is pretty close but I'd prefer they take their time translating it. And not end up with a mess like Ar Tonelico 2.

I'm crossing my fingers for decent voice actors. And not the same handful that do main characters for every other anime and video game. Plz plz plz don't cast Johnny yong Bosch as Delta. All I want is a unique experience for a change. Am I the only one who thinks it's a bad idea to hire the same talent over and over? It's not exactly setting your game apart. I'll be happy as long as it's not someone who is currently a main character on any anime that's on cartoon network right now.
    Luckly Bryce Papenbrook who voices the main character on Blue Exorcist and Attack on Titan has already voiced Aoto in Ar tonelico 3 so I don't think he'll be a choice.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs The Bemused Administrators
    edited July 2014
    This is mostly conjecture on my part, but I think the Californian anime/Japanese game voice actors are used so often is because many of these companies are based in California. They are also experienced, talented (or competent at the minimum), and popular. I would personally rather hear Wendee Lee for the 500th time than get something like Arc Rise Fantasia. >_< I will admit that Bosch, while a good actor, has two voices: younger and older. :P At least someone like, say, Laura Bailey, has a fantastic range on her. So far, no two characters I've heard her voice sound exactly the same.

There are places with other great actors as well. As far as voice acting anime goes, there's Texas, New York, and Vancouver. It would be nice to at least hear the Texan actors more often in video games (Luci Christian, Greg Ayers, Chris Patton, and Monica Rial :D) .
    Reincarnation, realization
    edited July 2014
    Her imdb list is pretty long. Sure she can do boy voices and accents. But I don't think range means much when it comes to jrpg characters.
    Laura Bailey did:
    Reimi in star ocean 4
    Serah in FF13
    Rise in persona 4
    Marta in Tales of Symphonia 2

And these all came out about the same time. 09-10 time frame. It's like going to the movies and seeing the same cast in every one. From one perspective, yeah, I see you've played jrpg heroines before. No one's going to doubt their performance. I just think whoever is making casting decisions to stop and think, wait you've played the heroine in every jrpg maybe we should find someone else.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs The Bemused Administrators
    edited July 2014
    Laura's performance as Amane in Devil Survivor Overclocked and Lucina in Fire Emblem: Awakening are more recent, and both not only distinct from each other, but also from the likes of Marta. I admit that I am going by her anime performances when it comes to range. Her work as Chie from Fragile Dreams is rather similar to Marta.

I have been seeing rise in lesser-known (or at least lesser-used) actors these days, certainly a good thing. At AnimeNext con a month ago, Josh Grelle, normally a Texan actor, said that he was casted in Tales of Xilia 2 because Bandai-Namco has exhausted the Californian actors. Probably more of a joke than anything, but I imagine there's a grain of truth to it. :P
    Reincarnation, realization
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2014
    Fowl Sorcerous said:
    one of these days i'm gonna have a serious talk about the costume design gust throws down.
    Pencil me in for that ATB then ;)
    edited July 2014
    I'm actually impressed by the recent Atelier designs. They're so fancy and decorated, and the illustrations are so...girly purple-pink. I was surprised to learn the illustrator Mel Kishida is actually a guy. The artist for nosurge is the same way. Look how fashionable they all are.

Nothing like Ar Tonelico's artist NagiRyo. But I think the sensual mecha girl designs worked for the whole Reyvateil concept. That's just me.