If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Round 4, Match 30: Grandia II - Winner (4) vs. Persona 4 Golden (2)

2»

Comments

• KeldarusKeldarus RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2014
    No puns, because Grandia isn't Grindea.. that's saved for Xtreme. So, Grandia has it on the merits of being a more engaging battle system with countering enemies. While fusing demons is fun, it's still down to I punt you in the face and you hopefully don't 1-shot me with Hama or Mudo, rinse and repeat. Yep, I boiled it down.

-Kel
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited July 2014
    So with a half hour left (presumably) and the reader vote going toward Grandia, it's 3-1 Grandia...
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2014
    I don't know how to predict this at all...

Please vote and end the suspense!
  • InstaTrentInstaTrent Opinion Guy RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2014
    This is a battle system comparison between P4 and Grandia II. Bemoaning how Grandia II isn't as good as Child of Light or Grandia III or how P4 fixes the combat mistakes of P3 is besides the point. On the grounds of what basic things Grandia II's battle system does compared to that of Persona 4, I'm going to have to give it to the slightly more complex.

Vote: Grandia II

logo.jpg
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited July 2014
    This one has been tough (and I meant to vote last night and got caught up in other stuff), but I've decided to apply the same logic as last night. Which system would I want more of?

With Grandia II, I got more of it in GIII and other games 7th mentioned sense, so it's easy to see where things went. On Persona 4 Golden, it took a system I wasn't initially fond of and made me enjoy it by the end.

When it comes down to it, though, there's a lot with Persona 4 Golden that I'm still not sold on. The instadeath, though manageable, is annoying. That said, P4G helped out with that through social link boosts.

You know what, I've changed my mind while writing this post. For taking a system I didn't like in Persona 3 and slow improving it to greatness in P4 Golden, my vote goes to...

Vote: Persona 4 Golden

PS: Well, as I was making this grand, glorious post, Trent came along and made my vote invalid. :P
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2014
    That's OK, Mac...I still appreciate your post, as invalid as it may be :D
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • InstaTrentInstaTrent Opinion Guy RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2014
    I'm beary sorry.

ku000_00.png
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2014
    I'm glad I didn't need to make a vote because I seriously could not decide!
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2014
    InstaTrent wrote: »
    Bemoaning how Grandia II isn't as good as Child of Light or Grandia III or how P4 fixes the combat mistakes of P3 is besides the point.

If you're referring to my questions, I haven't played Grandia II, but I have played the other games I listed. I'm trying to gauge whether or not I should buy a copy of Grandia II and play it, not state that Child of Light is better than a game I never played. Even after it won all of these matches and made it to the finals, the discussions in the Grandia II threads haven't been detailed enough to make it clear to me how it compares to similar games, how unique it is, or if it's still worth playing today if I have already played recent games that use its system. It tends to get compared to Grandia III, which I also haven't played.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited July 2014
    I would recommend Grandia II overall. The characters and story are great, which I remember way more than the battle system to be honest. Ryudo has some of the best lines in any RPG ever.

Grandia III might have a better battle system (not making that statement myself), but the story in Grandia III is so awful.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • ClephasClephas Member Full Members
    edited July 2014
    Grandia II has a pretty high quality story, in addition to the battle system. I only remember how boring Grandia III's story was... not to mention how short the game was. It's kind of a pity that Grandia is pretty much a dead IP... if only the storytelling quality hadn't fallen, the series would probably still be going strong today.
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2014
    It's just hard for me to think of Grandia II being all that awesome... I mena...P4G level of awesome... when Grandia III did it so much better.

Aerial Combos FTW. Seriously.

The story was in the top three worst of all times in games that I actually played, but I beat this sucker because the combat is just THAT good. As far as which one to play? Play as many Grandia games as you can :)
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: Kirin Administrators
    edited July 2014
    The reader vote is indeed clear.
    Grandia II 178 56.51%
    Persona 4 Golden 137 43.49%
    Total Votes 315
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
This discussion has been closed.