If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Final Round, Match 31: Xenoblade Chronicles (2) vs. Grandia II - WINNER (3)

2»

Comments

• MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited July 2014
    If you do this again, could you please indicate the usernames of the staff members that are voting and not just their real names?
    Certainly. It mostly happened from me using real names when communicating the assignments via email and then sharing the real name list with Mike M./JuMeSyn instead of the nick names.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • InstaTrentInstaTrent Opinion Guy RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2014
    I've gone on long diatribes in the past few months, detailing the finer points of both battle systems. I don't have the energy in me to do that again, but I will say one thing:

I played Xenosaga because I was interested in the story. I've played every Grandia title because I was interested in the battle system.

Gotta go with my heart on this.

Vote: Grandia II
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."
    edited July 2014
    Looks like 2 (Trent, Readers) - 1 (Me) in favor of Grandia II right now.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • ascii256ascii256 Member Full Members
    edited July 2014
    I'm not a fan of the Xenoblade type battle system, but Xenoblade's battle system was perfect for Xenoblade. The way enemies were encountered and the way the terrain played into it. Knocking enemies off cliffs or jumping off yourself as a last ditch effort to get away. Terrain-caused status effects that really had an impact on battles. Running around powerful enemies early on trying to get some collectible and at the last second jumping away like Battlestar Galactica.

So as I voted for Xenoblade I thought to myself, how did Grandia 2 make it this far? I recall liking the game, but wasn't floored with the battle system. Now I realize I haven't played Grandia 2, only 1 and 3.
  • Zeboyd GamesZeboyd Games Member Full Members
    edited July 2014
    ascii256 wrote: »
    So as I voted for Xenoblade I thought to myself, how did Grandia 2 make it this far? I recall liking the game, but wasn't floored with the battle system. Now I realize I haven't played Grandia 2, only 1 and 3.

I think the big thing about Grandia series combat is that there's interaction between teams besides just depleting HP. Other RPGs had this to some extent with ailments & debuffs, but Grandia really pushed it into the forefront with the whole interrupt system.
    Check out upcoming RPG, Cosmic Star Heroine, at http://cosmicstarheroine.com/
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2014
    Clephas wrote: »
    tbh... FFXII was my most-hated FF game, prior to FFXIII's release. The main reason I hated it (besides being something of a disgrace, in terms of plot) was the battle system, which reminded me too much of FFXI's MMO battle system visually (which I despised on so many levels...). So, of course it is no contest with me if XC resembles it at all.

On the other hand, since I haven't played XC (I refuse to play any game that requires motion controls, because it is active discrimination against people with arthritis in their fingers), I can't be a judge of that game on an individual basis. I voted Grandia II, of course... but then, did anyone who saw my posts in the last few BR threads think it could be otherwise? lol

Ocelot already mentioned this, but Xenoblade doesn't use motion controls. More importantly, though, I don't really agree when people say it resembles Final Fantasy XII. They belong in the same general sub-genre of RPGs, but in pretty much every meaningful detail they are completely different games. Final Fantasy XII bored me to tears and still stands as my least-favorite FF game (I enjoy FFXIII more), but Xenoblade is one of my all-time favorite RPGs. Their battle systems really are quite different.

Anyways, enough responding to other posters. It is time for me to VOTE!

Well... let's see here... Actually, this is painfully hard. I haven't had many opportunities to actually talk about my feelings about the Grandia series' battle system, but I've always loved it. Replaying Grandia II a bit earlier for the sake of this competition made me realize that I possibly haven't been appreciating it enough. It's really incredible, and fully deserves making it to the final round in this competition.

Grandia 2 crashed on me around the time Millenia first shows up, so I was only able to play through the first dungeon, but it was quite an amazing experience. It's been a long time since I played an RPG in which I had fun battles that had interesting strategies at the very beginning of the game. Even with only a single character, almost no special moves, and just the basic attack and defend commands, I had some great fights. That's rare, to put it mildly. It didn't take me long at all to get into a good pattern of interrupting some moves and defending against every other move, while dealing some good damage with combos when it was safe. I almost got through the entire first dungeon without letting the enemy deliver a clean hit against me. In the meantime, battles had a nice, ever-changing rhythm to them that was much more interesting than just tracking the depletion of enemy HP. Sadly, I can hardly remember how it play late in the game with a full party and a large arsenal of powerful special attacks. I vaguely recall it losing some of its unique charm at that point, but I can't really say for certain.

Still, Grandia 2 is going against Xenoblade, which I've already mentioned is one of my all-time favorite RPGs. What's more, I can't even really rely on my usual methods of choosing based on which game has fewer things that annoy me. Both games are too good for that. So... Actually, I'll be honest. My original plan was to just tie up the staff vote and let the readers decide this one. However, Becky hasn't voted yet, so I can't actually pull that off, and I can't very well nullify her vote before it happens (that'd just be rude), so...

You know what? I don't want to vote against Xenoblade, but I kinda realize that I really do want to see Grandia 2 win this. I can't think of any way to guarantee a way for me to both vote Xenoblade and see Grandia 2 win, so I'll just vote for Grandia 2 instead.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2014
    Ha ha, am I the lame duck voter? I guess the pressure is off, but I shall still vote for Xenoblade! Although I enjoyed Grandia II's battle system a great deal, I feel like it was a bit too easy to cheese. I don't think I loved it quite as much as other voters did.

Were there games in this competition that I would vote for over Xenoblade? Yes. They, however, got knocked out in earlier rounds in which I didn't vote/lost the vote. So I shall stand with my fake spouse and possible extremely-distant relative (I should totally check in on my uncle and his family tree project!), Mr. Michael Cunningham, and stand for the Heropon!

Heropon_Riki_Dance.gif
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • TexsideTexside Member Full Members
    edited July 2014
    Even with only a single character, almost no special moves, and just the basic attack and defend commands, I had some great fights. That's rare, to put it mildly. It didn't take me long at all to get into a good pattern of interrupting some moves and defending against every other move, while dealing some good damage with combos when it was safe. I almost got through the entire first dungeon without letting the enemy deliver a clean hit against me. In the meantime, battles had a nice, ever-changing rhythm to them that was much more interesting than just tracking the depletion of enemy HP. Sadly, I can hardly remember how it play late in the game with a full party and a large arsenal of powerful special attacks. I vaguely recall it losing some of its unique charm at that point, but I can't really say for certain.

I think this is the brilliance of Grandia's battle system: even without special moves, it's never just​ attack and defend.
    edited July 2014
    This Battle Royale is officially in the hands of the readers...which is leaning heavily toward Grandia II.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • RealityCheckedRealityChecked Member Full Members
    edited July 2014
    I'm not sure I want to live in a world where XC is considered to have a better battle system than GII. Maybe I can go live in Lemuria...

I figured I must be missing something (heck, I didn't really figure out how FFVIII's battle system worked until just before the end). So I checked out a few videos to see other's using XC's battle system, and...it still isn't close.
    edited July 2014
    Looks like you get to live in your world, because I'm calling this one.

Grandia II is the winner of the Battle System Battle Royale.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited July 2014
    Defend is a real option in Grandia II too...you might want to choose defend sometimes. Dragon Warrior defend is never the best option.
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2014
    In DW1 you're probably right. I defend in DW2 and on when a hero is low in hps, and I think it can help him survive looking enough for a cure spell from another team member.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited July 2014
    Wheels, this one's for you:
    BRYANWMgif.gif
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Hands off the parfait! Administrators
    edited July 2014
    Congratulations Grandia II! :D
    Defend is a real option in Grandia II too...you might want to choose defend sometimes. Dragon Warrior defend is never the best option.
    It's not only a real option in Arc Rise Fantasia, it's required for boss fight in order to survive. It does require the voice acting to be left on so the characters can warn you of an impending super attack, but...
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2014
    Shaymin wrote: »
    Wheels, this one's for you:
    BRYANWMgif.gif

YES! YES! YES! YES!

(seriously thank you to everyone that posted hilarious wrestling pics so it wasn't just me being crazy)

17894%20-%20Aiden_English%20Simon_Gotch%20The_Vaudevillains%20autoplay_gif%20gif%20hand_shake%20kneeling%20nxt%20referee%20smiling%20wwe.gif?

Congrats to Grandia II, a worthy battle system and a great way to honor the late Takeshi Miyaji
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • InstaTrentInstaTrent Opinion Guy RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2014
    A sexy result to a long, long battle royal. If you told me two months ago that Grandia II would take it I would have scoffed. Yet here we are.
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."
  • JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: Kirin Administrators
    edited July 2014
    Let's just clinch that title here...
    Grandia II 206 59.37%
    Xenoblade Chronicles 141 40.63%
    Total Votes 347

Alright then, the winner and champion has been named!
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
  • Zeboyd GamesZeboyd Games Member Full Members
    edited July 2014

In Dragon Warrior 3 defend is usually the best option because there's a bug with the game and it gives you the defense bonus when you select Defend, not when you actually defend in the turn (so you can cancel and still keep the defense bonus).
    Check out upcoming RPG, Cosmic Star Heroine, at http://cosmicstarheroine.com/
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited July 2014
    Same with BoF2
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2014
    In Dragon Warrior 3 defend is usually the best option because there's a bug with the game and it gives you the defense bonus when you select Defend, not when you actually defend in the turn (so you can cancel and still keep the defense bonus).

That sounds like something Disgaea would do
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • TexsideTexside Member Full Members
    edited July 2014
    Huzzah! Happy to see Grandia get it.
This discussion has been closed.