If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Type-0 Drama XD

LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
edited July 2014 in Square Enix
Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

Comments

• TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited July 2014
    Personally I liked the post on the comments by GideonZhi, the man behind Aeon Genesis Translation Projecy, one of the main hackers I tend to follow who releases quality work.
    So as someone who produces fan translations himself, I've been finding this whole situation highly suspect. We do what we do at the good graces and tolerance of the current IP holders, and it's bad form to try to spite them, especially with a zero-day deal such as this.

This doesn't often apply to me as most of what I work on has long since ceased to be profitable - I work on what I'm reasonably certain won't ever be released over here because nobody else will - but a lot of fansub communities have an unspoken rule: if it gets licensed, the fansub project is dropped and distribution is halted. The same goes for the community I'm a part of, though strictly speaking a video game translation without any of the original source code is much, much more work than a fansub. It can sting if an original IP holder decides that they're actually going to localize whatever it is you're working on, but they're the ones with a cash stake and hundreds of jobs on the line, and at the end of the day it's *their property* you're tinkering with, and without their permission. In a case like this, where the game is going to be monetized officially in English, Square-Enix's desires and business considerations absolutely take precedence from both legal and moral standpoints.

This isn't the first time an official translation got announced after a fan translation was well underway. Most notable in my memory is Tales of Hearts R; the team behind the patch gracefully bowed out. When it became clear that Square-Enix was going to be releasing Type-0 in English in one form or another, this should have been dropped. At the very worst, it should have been shelved and released a year or two after the HD port had made its money.

I don't know what went on behind closed doors between Square-Enix and the translation team, but even if absolutely nothing had been exchanged between the two parties, the instant Square-Enix announced that the game was coming west, Sky's team should have taken a graceful bow, pulled the patch, and said "Please support the people who made this game possible." Instead Sky continued to distribute a file that was ostensibly a complete ISO inside a thinly-veiled "patcher" utility package, essentially thumbing his nose at the people who made the very game he claims to love. Not cool.

I don't speak for the rest of the translation hacking community; this is just my opinion. But even with very little factual information at hand, just from the series of events as they've transpired (or failed to, with regards to removing the patch) I'm finding it very, very hard to be sympathetic with Sky.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited July 2014
    Yeah, I've worked with Gideon and he's got a great attitude to his work and the community in general. He's also probably been doing translations consistently for longer than anyone else and shows no sign of stopping.

Sky, on the other hand, comes across as a petulant man-child, and unfortunately I've come across many like him in the hacking/translation community. There are plenty of hackers who like to, well, hack, and haven't worked in a real team of people as a big-name translation really requires. Once they try, it becomes evident why they hadn't before.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2014
    Also, I can say with a fair amount of assurance (both from asking around and my own experiences) that S-E didn't announce because the patch was released. But we all got a good laugh about the implication.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited July 2014
    Oh yeah it's obvious to me at least that Sky pushed it to one up S-E. Personally I am all to willing to wait for an HD console version of the title. Especially since the original required UMD disc swapping
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited July 2014
    Yeah although a feel sorry that the translation efforts where to become meaningless, Sky was in the wrong for releasing it. Tales of Graces translation had enormous progress but they decided to drop. The anime subbing community is usually like this also and it should be.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • SBabySBaby New Member Full Members
    edited July 2014
    This was their fault for publicizing it so much. Never advertise a translation or any kind of fan project based on licensed material until you complete it. And even then, they should only be distributing the patch, not the full game.
  • CronoCrono Member Full Members
    edited July 2014
    Unfortunately though, advertising is the way you have to go to find people to help with the project, generally speaking of course. It's a double edged sword.

As much as I pirate games (I know it's not looked at positively on these boards but life is expensive) I agree that the translation team should have stopped once SE said they were localizing something. At this point it doesn't matter though. Even if they do completely stop there's still a xx% complete patch and iso out on every major torrent site now. The deed is done.
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited July 2014
    Chrono; I said as much on the update thread on this. Square has been known to DCMA things they do not like/feel they need to protect their IPs. Re: the first private server software for FFXI(pXI, I think it was called), and some fan projects for Chrono Trigger.

The problem is, Square was a little too slow this time. You can still find the patch/iso if you search for it on a lot of torrent sites. Mind, I hope I can play the official of this once it comes out.

And yar, any poor gamer does prolly hit the ROMs some (Especially if you like classic games) but if anyone tries to post links to pirated copies/ROMs, I will have to kill the links. Them's the rules!
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2014
    Erm...Square wasn't slow. They were discussing the project with the creators, as early as six months ago depending who you ask. The patch wasn't due out for another one to two months -- and even then most of the other editors feel it wouldn't have been up to snuff yet and it would have been delayed.
    This smells a lot like SE wanted to buy the translation, something broke down in negotiations, and the lead guy immaturely gave SE the finger, which has serious legal ramifications, even if he doesn't live in the US.

And it damages the rest of his team's credibility. Plenty of people who go on to work in QA & localization are culled from succesful fan translations.