If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPG Backtrack: Episode 123 - Konami's Trail of Tears

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
edited July 2014 in Latest Updates
One final hurrah for the Stars of Destiny came out of Konami, though it wasn't officially intended as such. Then the DS got a game which didn't deserve all the negativity it received, but as a spinoff couldn't do everything fans wanted. There isn't much left to talk about after that one, unfortunately.
Nether Gate assassins move like Voldo.
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• VictarVictar Member Full Members
    edited July 2014
    In this podcast, during the Suikoden 5 discussion, Lyon is accused of treating the Prince like a helpless infant, with some justification... but it's actually Sialeeds who is the worst in this regard. Her chief motive for her more jarring actions is that she doesn't think the Prince has a snowball's chance in an inferno, no matter how much success he has on battlefield. She thinks the nobility is a nest of vipers and she has to personally handle all of them.

The game isn't very explicit about Sialeeds motivations, but this is all strongly implied, especially in some dialogue between Sialeeds and Lucrezia.

I agree that Suikoden 5 suffered from terribly slow pacing, and that several characters (and therefore the "true ending") are virtually impossible to get without a FAQ. But it's still a good game overall, if the player has the patience to put up with its flaws.

Probably the best cutscene in the game is one that puts the player on the path to a not-so-good ending. It's actually recommended to watch the scene (it plays if the player chooses to defy Lucrezia's instructions for a key battle) and then reload.

I was surprised to learn that RPGamer staff think so highly of the DS Suikoden. Perhaps I should prioritize it among my backlog.

PS "Konami's Trail of Tears" is a questionable title for a podcast, as it directly refers to an ethnic cleansing black mark in American history that inflicted tremendous loss of life. The title literally implies that Konami murdered thousands of people. Obviously, it's not meant to be interpreted literally, but... well, you understand my point.
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2014
    Victar wrote: »
    I was surprised to learn that RPGamer staff think so highly of the DS Suikoden. Perhaps I should prioritize it among my backlog.
    Ditto on that. I had no idea. At the very least, I need to hunt down a copy so I have it on tap!
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2014
    The DS Suikoden has some great characters and a story that unfortunately fizzles about partway through. There's a nice segment in which you get to become involved in all the awesome politics that were a hallmark of earlier titles, and then... it just fizzles and you end up mostly wandering through a unnecessarily convoluted interdimensional plot.

Also, the main protagonist is obnoxious... but a lot of his friends are pretty cool. The story is best when you're dealing with storylines that star members of the extended cast.

Just remember: YOUNEVERKNOWUNTILYOUTRY!
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • silktailsilktail mild peril Full Members
    edited July 2014
    Luckily FFV has a save point just before Omega Weapon. (Shinryu's is just before you get to one though.)
    I could recommend bring more Bards (for Omega)! But maybe people feel !Mix is more preferable.

Most of FFVA's extra jobs are after all the Legendary Weapons, which admittedly you can skip to complete the game early.
    However the final extra one is after a boss in the new bonus dungeon, which is after the main game.

Otherwise I don't think Bravely Default is too far off from FFV's job progression. You can get most of the jobs in the first "half", whilst the second "half" is much longer if you do the optional side-quests (boss battles).
    While both keep one slightly more powerful(/useful) job back until later in the game.

Yes, Bravely Default does make you fight a battle for each job (jump through hoops?). But I can't really say that the rest of the game is short with little chance to use those jobs.
  • VonBeardlyVonBeardly Beard God Full Members
    edited July 2014
    Haven't had the chance to play my copy of the DS Suikoden, but I like that it got decent praise. Will have to start it after I finish EO3.

Now that I think of it I don't believe I ever beat Suikoden 5. I remember it taking quite awhile for the game's story to take off, and I think that just took me out of it. I did like that it felt more like the older Suikoden games.
    Twitter: @vonbeardly just started and mostly use it to tweet about games i'm playing.
    PSN: theharv00 (blank invites will be ignored)
    theharv00.png
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2014
    Ah...you are finishing a game we just talked about ... RPGBacktrack #124 will be coming soon. It's all about EO, and it's HUGE. ZOMG. It almost reached Disgaea proportions, I kid you not.
  • VonBeardlyVonBeardly Beard God Full Members
    edited July 2014
    I don't mind a long podcast. Looking forward to listening.
    Twitter: @vonbeardly just started and mostly use it to tweet about games i'm playing.
    PSN: theharv00 (blank invites will be ignored)
    theharv00.png