If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 316: "rgpCARST"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
edited August 2014 in Latest Updates
RPGCast - Episode 316: "rgpCARST"

This week Anna is Style Savvy. Chris is Monster Hunting. Quin gets Elite and dangerous (complete with flightstick). Square Enix gets sued. And Europe gets a scarf.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/316

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "rgpCARST"
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390
179811.png

Comments

• QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2014
    For those that missed it, the X52 Pro:

x52pro_1.jpg

I'd post an image of it on my desk, but my desk is an utter state right now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • TiggsPantherTiggsPanther New Member Full Members
    edited August 2014
    I think I can shed a little bit of light on the confusion regarding various MegaTen-related books. Someone more knowledgable could probably do a better job but...

"Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei" is the original novel (or two) that the very early Megami Tensei games were based on.

The Shin Megami Tensei games took the basic concept and ran with it. The SMT series has various spinoffs including Persona and... digital Devil Saga 1&2. (Which Manny was on the Backtrack panel for)

These games had the "Avatar Tuner" subtitle in Japan and the basically story was written by Yu Godai, who left due to health issues and it was completed in-house by Atlus.
    The Quantum Devil Saga: Avatar Tuner books are written by Yu Godai and explore e world of the games, but also diverge. I can only assume that the divergence would be in line to what the original story would have taken.

More info at http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Quantum_Devil_Saga:_Avatar_Tuner
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited August 2014
    I'm impressed that nobody made the obvious joke about the SquareEnix police raid.

I like Mega Evolution as a way of saving Pokemon from the scrappy heap (HI MAWILE) but I kind of wish they'd dole it out by virtue of who needs it versus giving the John Cena and Randy Orton of Pokemon (Mewtwo and Charizard) two M-Evos. As for who I would give it to... as much as I want to give it to a bunch of gen V Pokemon, the Pokemon who needs it more than anyone is Cacturne. Crank the attack, give it Sand Rush or Tough Claws and give it access to Crunch and it'd be a beast on a Sandstorm team.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2014
    Shaymin wrote: »
    I'm impressed that nobody made the obvious joke about the SquareEnix police raid.

I like Mega Evolution as a way of saving Pokemon from the scrappy heap (HI MAWILE) but I kind of wish they'd dole it out by virtue of who needs it versus giving the John Cena and Randy Orton of Pokemon (Mewtwo and Charizard) two M-Evos. As for who I would give it to... as much as I want to give it to a bunch of gen V Pokemon, the Pokemon who needs it more than anyone is Cacturne. Crank the attack, give it Sand Rush or Tough Claws and give it access to Crunch and it'd be a beast on a Sandstorm team.

Yeah, I understand why they've given it to popular Pokemon, but at least they're handing some out to Pokeys in need. Two of the upcoming ones are for Altaria and Lopunny (news article coming soon, stop releasing news on Sunday, Nintendo!), who aren't exactly considered top-tier, so that's cool.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2014
    It didn't surprise me one bit that the two arguably most popular Pokemon got MEVOs. I'm not sure how I feel about a limited time/gotta go to GS MEVO though.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    edited August 2014
    That flightstick is... impressive. And I assume, expensive.

Breloom should get a mega-evolution, into a giant fungal T-Rex.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Hands off the parfait! Administrators
    edited August 2014
    To tell the truth, I'm still luke-warm to the idea of Mega Evolutions. I love that Absol got one, but I'm not very keen on the others. Perhaps that's why I haven't been as gung-ho to breeding and raising Pokemon this generation as I have the past two. I understand and enjoy that some weaker Pokemon, or those that are just not up to snuff competitively (like Absol!) get them, but I still would have prefered a larger amount of entirely original Pokemon. Ah well.

But yeah, a limited time on Event Legendaries is somewhat excuseable. They are not required to complete the Pokedex officially (though there are still collectors like me that insist on it :P). Even from a competitive sense, all of them are banned outright from the VGCs. A limited time on getting Mega Stones for certain Pokemon could be awkward for competitive players, though, and not as excuseable.

Though there are a handful I would like to see get a Mega Evo. At the top of this list is Flygon. It's not as poor a Pokemon as Absol competitively, but it's still outshone by so many other Dragon types.

The Megami Tensei franchise started as a series of three short novels, Digital Devil Sory: Megami Tensei, Digital Devil Story 2: Warriors of the Demon City, and Digital Devil Story 3: Demise of the Reincarnation. As far as I know, only the first two novels have fan translations. There would be a later "New Digital Devil Story" series by the same author, but there is very little information on these books.

The first MegaTen video game, also called Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei for the Famicom, picks up after the events of the second novel, apparently ignoring the third. Only three other games would have the regular "Megami Tensei" title without the "Shin" that we in the west are more familiar with: Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei II, Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible (known here as "Revelations: The Demon Slayer") and Kyūyaku Megami Tensei, a remake of MT I & II for the Super Famicom.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs