If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

This time, THIS time, Chrono Trigger gets wacked..Any strats for my fav party?

maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The StarsSomewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
edited August 2014 in Square Enix
So okay. I recently acquired a virgin copy of the DS version of Chrono Trigger.

Back when this board was busier, I tried to beat the PS version..Tried is right. The lag between time warp scenes on Lavos just killed me because of the load times..Never did beat it.

This time, once I get to the Black Omen, (proly tomorrow..Just got the last sidequest done) I mean to grind to level 50 then head for the end. Thing is my fav party is Chrono, Lucca and Marle. (I mean to swap around so I can get everyone their techs tho. Oh and stealing from bosses.)

Any strats, guys? I mean to swap around for the bosses in the Black Omen mainly b/c I'd like another Prism Dress, lol. ^^

I want THIS time to be the time I beat it for the first time ever. Does anyone remember how to beat it with that party so I can make that dream come true?
93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
My personal page
New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.

Comments

• flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited August 2014
    Not sure about equipment but...
    You can play the Black Omen multiple times if you start from the future, then go to the present, then the middle ages, etc.... That'll ensure you have enough room to grind. Two times should be enough.
  • CronoCrono Member Full Members
    edited August 2014
    Prism Specs are a GREAT accessory that the item description just doesn't do justice. It increases your attack AND magic attack by like 50% so you'll see insane damage numbers if you drop this on Crono or Lucca. If you have a Gold Stud that's a great accessory as well since it reduces MP use by 75%. Status protection items are really helpful (Prism Helms) and Marle's first priority should be hasting the party. Crono should be doing Luminaire or Confuse for single attacks and then Fire Sword 2 or Ice Sword 2 with whoever is free as a second character. Lucca should be Flaring (or whatever best spell she has if not) if she isn't doing a duel tech and Marle should be able to keep up with healing by herself 80% of the time. As for specific strategies:
    For the first half of inner Lavos you need to kill the arms first and then focus on the body. For the actual final fight you need to take down either the left of middle core/body for the right core to take damage (it takes a round or two but it displays when it's weak). The left core should go down in one confuse with Crono if you have specs on him... maybe if you don't. You can do damage all techs at this point if you want because left is the only one that absorbs magic. Right core has around 30k health I think.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited August 2014
    I hope you're at least abusing Ayla to steal, Mary. The enemies and bosses in the Black Omen drop rare stuff, including stat increasing capsules (unless they changed that for the DS version). It's quite possible to farm the Black Omen so you can max out everybody's stats (or at least their speed, that really helps).
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited August 2014
    I can't help you my main party was Robo, Chrono, Ayla (or Frog,Robo,Chrono)
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited August 2014
    Dark; that's why the chara swapping :D If I know a mob has good stuff, I'll bring Ayla in for it to steal stuff. Like I am planning on bringing her in to try to steal a Prism Dress and maybe a Helm from one of the bosses.
    My personal page
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited August 2014
    I love Ayla especially at high levels when she gets her best weapon (her fist upgrades as she levels) as she's the only character who will continually crit for max damage every time
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited August 2014
    I never played with Marle and Lucca, their damage is just soooo low.
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited August 2014
    Rya; their phys damage may be low, but they make up with it in magical attacks if you get all their techs and level them up. I'm first to admit Lucca's final weap is either really good or stinky, depending on the random number generator. (It can do over 1k on some mobs or only double digits.)

Besides I think one of the endings, you have to beat them with that group, and I hope I can do it. ^^
    My personal page
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, didn't mean you shouldn't. :-)

But I personally need characters that deal good damage with normal attacks.
    edited August 2014
    Thanks guys~! First time ever, first time let Lavos have IT! I'll prolly come back to it later to see the rest of the endings.

/cheers loud and long That game has stymied me for 10 years (part of that was I couldn't get at the Playstation after some moves) but last time I could blame the PS loadtimes. ^^

If anyone wants to know, the only real changes were some translation differences, some uncensoring, some new dungeons that i haven't tried yet, and some cs's..the final one ties it into Chrono Cross. Ah, maybe one day on that one. ^^

Oh and Chrono? The attack wasn't confuse, that was one of the translation differences(They named it something else..), but I found it, so no worries ^^
    My personal page