If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 321: "Raging Phoner"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
edited October 2014 in Latest Updates
RPGCast - Episode 321: "Raging Phoner"

Is your flexible iPhone getting you down? No? Wait...you mean you don't come to this show for mobile news and just want to hear about RPGs from TGS? Well...ok. But what am I going to do with all these bending phone gifs?

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/321

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Raging Phoner"
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390
179811.png

Comments

• AzilisAzilis Member Full Members
    edited September 2014
    On the whole mobile gaming discussion, I'm just about as far away from Manny's opinion as possible. I jumped into the mobile gaming world 2 years ago after years of listening to talk about iOS and Android games (I owned a Blackberry before that). I played several Kairosoft games until they all started to feel the same, and then stopped. I looked for decent RPGs and found most of them either too lightweight (Knights of Pen and Paper for example) or too unwieldy to play with a touch-only interface (pretty much anything that uses virtual buttons and/or a virtual analog stick). These days, the only games I play on my phone are puzzle games.

For JRPGs, my platform of choice is either the Vita or the 3DS. For the most part, I vastly prefer JRPGs on handheld systems over consoles or the PC. The Vita has the definitive versions of Persona 4, Muramasa, Disgaea 3, and Disgaea 4 (all games I'd prefer to play on handheld anyway). It also has Dragon's Crown, Ys, FFX/X-2, and Soul Sacrifice. There are some good visual novels like the 999 sequel (also on 3DS) and the 2 Danganronpa games. And there are multi-platform indie games that I'd just prefer to play on handheld (Rogue Legacy, Spelunky, and Fez).

Spiderweb Software (Avadon, Avernum, Geneforge) has been releasing their games on tablets lately which is nice, but other than those, I honestly can't think of a single iOS or Android game I'd rather play on my phone or a tablet than anything I listed above. Manny even mentioned the worth of owning an iPad if you own an Android phone (or the reverse), yet doesn't see the worth of owning either of the latest handheld systems. That's his choice, and if he doesn't see games he'd play on the Vita or 3DS, he shouldn't buy one. I just don't see the mobile games that would be preferable. There's Monster Hunter, but for me, buttons are preferable to touch controls and I have Monster Hunter 3 with Monster Hunter 4 on the way next year.

. . .

Chris, you talked about changing gaming habits in order to save money. The biggest thing you can do is stop pre-ordering games and never buy collector's editions. By pre-ordering games, you're pretty much guaranteed the highest purchase price the game will ever reach. Down the line, there will inevitably be price drops, steam sales, and/or PS Plus deals. Not only that, but the game might eventually get a definitive re-make on another system . . . if you don't pre-order, you might avoid that situation where you already own a game that you haven't yet played and decide you want the new version. Even without factoring in the possibility of a re-make, there's a good chance you're not actually going to play the game for a while. In my case, I pre-ordered only one game last year: SMT IV, and that was because I knew I'd be playing it on release day. If you're not actually ready to play a game, don't pre-order it. Wait until you have time to play it.

And I don't see the obsession RPGamers have with collector's editions. You don't need a cloth map (if you really think about it, you probably actually don't even want one). You don't need a statue or figurine that you probably don't have shelf space for. You don't even need an art book . . . ok, I might be in the minority on this one, but I've never seen the point of taking video game artwork out of a game and putting it into a physical book, especially with the growing trend of eBooks. Most importantly, though, you don't need the extra cost that goes into buying all of these extras.

. . .

Anna, Devil Survivor 2 came out on the DS. It was a similar situation to the Persona 3 and 4 releases. DeSu 2 was a quick follow-up on the same system that gave fans more of what they loved in the first game.
  • PhilFancypantsPhilFancypants New Member Full Members
    edited September 2014
    I've been having this same problem with having to many games I'd like to play as well. Some things I have done to help myself have been:
    - Avoid hype, play what you want and are excited about, not what's the press it's talking about.
    - limiting yourself to owning less consoles. I've been considering selling my vita and wii u just so I will have less options of games to choose from.
    -Trying to stay away from cheap *** gamer.
    - I sold all the games I started but never finished.

I also agree with Manny saying he rather play a few good games rather than one 100 hour rpg, I've now started persona 3 three times now and I think I rather just invest my time somewhere else( I enjoyed persona 4).
  • risingsunrisingsun - Fancy Title - Full Members
    edited September 2014
    nice post Azilis. You hit exactly on something I have been talking about for a while now. The gaming market has become so broad that no matter what your interests, your situation, needs, or income level, you can find the gaming experiences that cater exactly to you. All you have to do is look at Macstorm. To a lot of people the Vita is a joke or a failure, to Mac, it is his dream gaming machine right now. The games, the experience all hit him exactly right to make it his preferred gaming experience. That is absolutely wonderful.

On, the other hand, I don't see much of a reason to pick on up now or any time soon. Back to mobile/tablet games, gaming is so broad that a lot of the mobile/tablet games you listed I also have zero interest in and would really never play.(same goes for the vita/3DS games you listed) So even from platform to platform this is a lot of variety still. The funny thing I have noticed, is that the games that I'm actually excited to play on Tablets aren't event really on the radar for most core gamers.

PocketTacitcs is a great resource for hardcore tablet/mobile games for people who have been gaming most of their lives like us. Its one of the only Tablet/mobile sites that largely ignores the Free-to-play or extremely casual games that most people think make up the majority of gaming on those platforms.
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2014
    I need to listen to the cast (been busy), but your post, Azilis, echoes my own sentiments. I usually just wait for sales to buy most games. I just got Van Helsing II for $10 (with all the DLC) for my wife, who's playing it as I type this (She gives it two thumbs WAY up!). Not bad! :) Whenever I see a new game I want, I add it to a list. A few months later (or a year or two if I want it bundled with DLC, where applicable), I grab it for 50% or less of the original MSRP.

I'm a retro gamer, so staying please, for me, is easy. My favorite handheld system (phones/tablets included) is still the Nintendo DS. Just SOOOO many good games/RPGs. The PSP (the UMD games PLUS the numerous PS1 games via the store) is another treasure trove. Yummy! I've tried tablet gaming...even some of my favorite retro games, Spiderweb games, etc.... it just never works for me. Give me a controller any day. Not to mention, on phones, games kill the battery.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Hands off the parfait! Administrators
    edited September 2014
    My gaming habit have not changed much at all since 2006, my second semester of my first year of college. I own very few video game systems and do the vast majority of my gaming on handhelds (this has been the DS and the 3DS for the prior and current generations). I try to play games in the order I receive them and only play one handheld and console game at a time, but I do make many exceptions. I can play one major handheld and spend a little time on a perennial game like Pokemon, though I've recently been having hard time with that balance. I also have the tendency to put a game I have really been looking forward to to the front of my list. While I have a backlog, it's not unmanageable. It does mean I don't have to worry about not having enough games to play even if only play games on two platforms (three if I were to ever get around to playing more games on PC).
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited September 2014
    In recent years, I've decided to cede the TV more to my roommate which has really pushed me toward handhelds and the Wii U for most of my gaming. (It helps that most of the RPGs I enjoy are going there as well).

I've started really bargain hunting, but I have different strike points for games as impulse buys - $20 for a handheld game or Wii U game, and $15 or less everywhere else, because I simply can't guarantee when I'll actually get around to playing the stuff.

The other big change is that I've started podcasting about games in the last couple of years so I've had to go insane with discounted preorders just to keep content on the show fresh.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • coyotecraftcoyotecraft Full Members
    edited September 2014
    I only play rpgs. I stay away from anything that requires a player-2. MMOs, fighting, racing ect... I've always played games by myself.

I don't have my old after school habits anymore. A 40 hour rpg used to take me months to finish. But now I binge. Friday night, Saturday, Sunday is usually enough time to finish a game. And then I don't play anything for another 2 weeks.
    Don't laugh at me, but I just discovered sleep mode for my PSP. I would have used it more if I knew I could do that at any point in a game. Although I probably wouldn't consider playing a game in the first place unless I know I had at least a half hour to play.
    edited September 2014
    Yeah...the DS seems to last about a week on sleep mode. The PSP lasts months. I love the PSP sleep mode.

I do play bits of my RPGs here and there, myself. I hate standing in a 10 minute line with nothing to do. Sleep mode makes that possible. Otherwise, yeah, it wouldn't be worth it to load up save files and hope I make it to another save point.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • retro-dragonretro-dragon New Member Full Members
    edited October 2014
    Just quick feedback to the comments about Destiny. I've been playing with a couple of friends since opening day, and I really don't understand what everyone is so upset about. It's a shooter, and a really well executed one at that. Add in some light rpg elements and you have a fantastic game. I love the pvp, the story is fun, the co-op strikes are really interesting, and the end game gear system is really enjoyable. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but I can't comprehend how you would compare it to Defiance. I mean come on, that's pretty low. In any case, I for one haven't had this much fun in either a shooter OR an rpg in a long long time, and I think it's been pretty unfairly attacked. I know I'm being really mainstream here, but I find it a bit exasperating how much hate is going into such an excellent game. Everyone in my circle of friends, both on PS4 and XBONE are playing almost daily, and we are constantly talking about how much fun it is (about a dozen of us). Maybe my entire circle of gaming friends just happen to be the target audience or something? In any case, I'll be playing destiny after work today, and I'll be loving it:P
    edited October 2014
    Ok...Quick comment (maybe I'll add more as I listen more). Someone (I believe Manny) says that the Vita is a great way to play indy games if that is the only way you have to play them.

I have a number of cross platform indy games on Vita, Steam and/or PS4. Many times, the Vita is the best way to experience those games, at least for me. I can play in short spurts, on the go, and suspend my progress at any time. I can't do any of that on the other, larger platforms. Usually, I have to have a block of time (at least an hour) to fire up my computer or PS4 to play. Because of Vita suspend, there's nearly no 'minimum' time needed to fire it up and make some progress on a game.

And these features work out doubly well with Indy games which many times lend themselves better to short burst playing. When I do have an hour plus to put on my computer or PS4, I generally want to spend that time with more epic experiences that work best with larger chunks of time.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2014
    Just quick feedback to the comments about Destiny. I've been playing with a couple of friends since opening day, and I really don't understand what everyone is so upset about. It's a shooter, and a really well executed one at that. Add in some light rpg elements and you have a fantastic game. I love the pvp, the story is fun, the co-op strikes are really interesting, and the end game gear system is really enjoyable. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but I can't comprehend how you would compare it to Defiance. I mean come on, that's pretty low. In any case, I for one haven't had this much fun in either a shooter OR an rpg in a long long time, and I think it's been pretty unfairly attacked. I know I'm being really mainstream here, but I find it a bit exasperating how much hate is going into such an excellent game. Everyone in my circle of friends, both on PS4 and XBONE are playing almost daily, and we are constantly talking about how much fun it is (about a dozen of us). Maybe my entire circle of gaming friends just happen to be the target audience or something? In any case, I'll be playing destiny after work today, and I'll be loving it:P

I'm loving the game as well (despite the meh story). Best shooter I've played in ages. I can certainly understand while some people don't dig it though. Ignore the hate and keep on keeping on.
    JCServant wrote: »
    Ok...Quick comment (maybe I'll add more as I listen more). Someone (I believe Manny) says that the Vita is a great way to play indy games if that is the only way you have to play them.

I have a number of cross platform indy games on Vita, Steam and/or PS4. Many times, the Vita is the best way to experience those games, at least for me. I can play in short spurts, on the go, and suspend my progress at any time. I can't do any of that on the other, larger platforms. Usually, I have to have a block of time (at least an hour) to fire up my computer or PS4 to play. Because of Vita suspend, there's nearly no 'minimum' time needed to fire it up and make some progress on a game.

And these features work out doubly well with Indy games which many times lend themselves better to short burst playing. When I do have an hour plus to put on my computer or PS4, I generally want to spend that time with more epic experiences that work best with larger chunks of time.

A lot of those indy games even just make great portable games, not to mention they play just as well as they do on PC so I'm not really getting the "if that's the only way you have to play them." These aren't inferior ports.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
    edited October 2014
    Still listening through...Chris was askin' how ya segment the outdoors into a grid based deal (ala Legends of Grimrock). For your convenience, I've pasted some pics below as a pic is worth a bunch o' words.

Etrian Odyssey....

deer_001_thumb.jpg

Etrian Odyssey III... outdoors in water!
    large.jpg

How the map looks...
    map.jpg

But, lest you think this is limited to modern games, here's Might & Magic V: Worlds of Xeen
    mm3_screenshot2.jpg

And even older.... Might & Magic II
    mm2_114.png

As you can kinda see, the trees, mountains, etc form the 'walls' and basically box ya in. Generally, outdoor areas in these games tend to have larger, wider areas than most of the dungeons, such as the water areas shown in EO3. However, this is not always the case. Some of the forests, in particular, can feel just as confined, winding and confusing as some of the cramped dungeons.
  • LegendaryZoltanLegendaryZoltan Releaser of Heavy Metal Full Members
    edited October 2014
    Did I hear Chris say at the end of the episode that there won't be a show next week?
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited October 2014
    Correct. I believe there's a Canadian wedding involved.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    edited October 2014
    Earning a legendary cloak in World of Warcraft will grant a character the title "Legend of Pandaria". I don't know if this title is per character or account-wide. It will be impossible to earn this title when the Warlords of Draenor expansion arrives.

Of course, if you don't care about this title, there's no reason to bother. (The legendary quest cannot be started anymore once patch 6.0 arrives, and when Warlords arrives the legendary quest cannot be completed anymore).
  • SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    edited October 2014
    Well, I guess I should help with some feedback for the next show.

I've been noticing my tastes changing a good bit lately. Growing up, I normally got to keep up to date on Nintendo handhelds and only getting every other Nintendo home console. What this means, I often found myself getting my hardcore gaming on handhelds and only getting the console games I was most interested in at the time as gifts. During my Teen to Adult years, I started working and funding my gaming hobby on my own. Consoles have been a big part of my life since then, but I ultimately find myself always going back to handhelds, using my 3DS and Vita more often then my PS3 currently. I will often devote all of my gaming time to finish a console/PC game I've been waiting for, but I think I've always preferred handheld gaming.

Though I can afford the latest and greatest (at least that is what I tell myself), I find that I'm happiest with handheld gaming. Despite that, over the years, if there has been a game I think is *should* be interested in, I buy it on launch if I want to support the devs or pick it up on some sort of sale. I find sale shopping for tech and games rewarding. Still, most of those games sit on my self, most of which are console ones.

If you are to take away anything from this, I guess this means that I am a gamer that prefers shorter yet more rewarding experiences. For instance, I've always loved the punishing SMT series of games, playing P4G right now. However, I find myself actually having to take a break from it, but not from the game play. Instead, I know when the giant info dumps and long periods of cutscenes occur, and often just don't feel like dealing with them most days. On the other hand, I decided to give the Etrian Odyssey 4 demo a try due to Paws mentioning the series now and again on the podcast. I find I often can't put it down. It's exactly the amount of feedback and return I've been craving. Made better by this being and experience I can make as long or as short as I want it with quests and character creation for my guild. However, due to the hustle and bustle of life, I find that I can't really devote time to such games on console and PC. So, I find myself going back to my mindset as a kid, and prioritize handhelds. "Buy when it matters to me, and play what I have fun with." Maybe kid me had it right all along?

Now, the question I should ask. If I find that I am enjoying Etrian Odyssey 4, will I enjoy Persona Q?
    edited October 2014
    Contrasting the adult gamer in me versus the kid gamer is certainly interesting. I used to have a few games I would beat multiple times. I couldn't afford anymore than that. Now, I have many games that I rarely beat or even get that far in.

I view my collection of games as that...a collection. A library, if you will. I like knowing that if I get a hankerin' to play a platformer on the go, I have several different flavors of that to choose from. If I want a deep, beautiful RPG experience on my TV, well, I got a big selection of those, as well. When I got the freaky idea to go through every, single Dragon Quest/Warrior games, well, I didn't have to hunt down used copies (some of which are really high price now), as I have them all on a shelf. WOOT! For me, it's not about beating every game I own anymore. It's about having a nice collection of games that suit the full range of my gaming tastes so if/when I want to play something in that range, its available. And, if I want to make a little progress now, and pick it up way down the road, no one cares because its mine.

That change in view changed my mentality towards buying games, but, ironically, doesn't actually change how I buy games. When I was young, and poor, I searched hard in bargin bins as I could rarely afford a new game. Occasionally, I would save for big releases such as Final Fantasy games, so I could afford them at launch. Nowadays, I can afford to buy games new, at full price a lot more often. However, since I view my collection more as a library, and knowing that I don't get to most of my games too quickly, I'm in no rush to buy most until they fall down in price (into the bargin bin, so to speak). Like Anna, I keep a list and buy them during Black Friday or something. With that said, I still buy the occasional game brand new for various reasons, not unlike my younger self.

And, just knowing that tiny bit I know, I think you will love PQ, SM. :)
  • SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    edited October 2014
    JCServant wrote: »
    And, just knowing that tiny bit I know, I think you will love PQ, SM. :)

Thanks for that, and the little look in your gaming history! Though I agree that PQ will be good for me, I'm a little burned out on Persona right now. Heck, I'm not even going to play the P4AU story for sometime right now and just enjoying the game (and trying my hardest not to suck). So, I'm going to fight the urge not to buy it (especially considering it is pretty pricey too). I'll likely buy it on sale next year.... despite the tarot cards begging me to complete them.

Until then, think I will actually buy Etrian Odyssey 4 after I finish Layton vs Phoenix Wright.
  • NEStalgiaNEStalgia New Member Full Members
    edited October 2014
    First, to respond to the question posed by Chris, I feel that my gaming habits have changed most certainly within the last year to such a degree as to be unrecognizable from their appearance last year. I have become a different person and, spurred by both the account of the robbery of your house and watching Youtuber Austin Evans' house burn down earlier this year, have begun to embrace minimalism in games and in most of my life. The way I see it is as follows. There is no need to get a Collector's Edition or Special Edition unless you plan on flipping it for a profit, as it does nothing but give one clutter and physical space that is being taken up. Secondly, I do not buy Digital copies, which may seem strange. But, it is much more than simply strange. For example, digital copies can never be sold, therefore, they cannot be used to get money back from. Therein, I buy digital copies only for games that I absolutely love. For all other games, I buy them new or in excellent used condition, play it, and when I am finished, sell it back on Amazon via the Amazon seller program, which nets me anywhere from 65-75% return on investment, and sometimes, for Nintendo-published games especially an astounding 85% return on investment.

I have learned that there is no need for me to stockpile games that I will never play again. When I found out that games that I had not played in some time, such as a scratched-up copy of Super Smash Bros. Melee, without a case, that I got for free, from a friend could be sold for $45, which I did, then I began to embrace the idea of keeping my game collection in constant rotation, making sure to only keep those games that I absolutely love or that I have not finished yet. Although, for some games, if they are not particularly impactful upon my opinion, I disregard them. I have begun to sell game systems and replace them with backwards-compatible systems that are a generation older, and try my best to keep the total number of games down and the total amount of money in my checking account up.

As to your question regarding one good game, I do wish to throw myself into a litany of different stories most of the time. However, there are some games, such as Final Fantasy XIV, which are so good that not only do I play them for hundreds of hours, but they also almost never get tiresome. I believe I played FFXIV for six months before retiring from it temporarily. I am actually curious as to what you all think regarding the state of my affairs and have a question for you. I am thinking of digitizing my Final Fantasy collection and selling all of my physical copies. In order to do such, I would need to purchase all of the Final Fantasy games that are available digitally on PSN I-IX, those available on PSN for the Vita, X and X-2, and those on Steam XIII, and in the future XIII-2 and Lightning Returns as well as purchase a Vita, do you believe it to be worth the opportunity cost?