If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPG Backtrack - Episode 129: My Fist Your Face

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
edited October 2014 in Latest Updates
There's something addictive about walking forward while beating everyone encountered along the way into a bloody pulp. This procedure has occasionally been used in titles with some RPG tenets, and talking about them proved a bloody good time.
Many are the ways to beat opponents into the dirt.
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• SuikSuik Member Full Members
    edited October 2014
    Hrm, I have little to say regarding this episode as this is a sub-genre that I unfortunatly didn't get to sink my teeth into all that much as a youngster. However, with Mike, Phil, and (the now in my little blackbook [that's a bit odd]) Mr. Apps gouging into the necessary details I definitely want to at the very least give these games a go. The discussions in this episode made them out to be the fun and simple run n' gun with the RPG elements I crave in my morning coffee.

Suppose I won't really know till I jump in and give it a try (another good reason to boot up the ol' Saturn underneith my socks in case burglars break in.. heck they can have the HD TV, but not my Saturn).
    Thanks for another great episode guys C=!

PS. Thanks for another shoutout! There's nothing like a ".08% BAC Phil" reading out my poorly written comments to me <3.

Okay guys till next time! Keep on keepin' on.
    I beat Persona 1 and 2. Please help me justify the countless hours lost.
    This is apart of my Personaholics Anonymous program.

Youtube: ConseptGamer
    Twitter: ConseptGamer
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2014
    ROFL! Thanks for the comments!! I don't even think I was drinkin' on that show. Was I, Mike?

On another note, Josh Carpenter on twitter pointed out something interesting...as by pure coincidence (it really is) PS Plus' free PS3 game of the month is D&D: Chronicles of Mystara! Wow!!! What timing!! So, if you're a PS Plus member, play the game while you listen to the cast :) Personally, I believe Sony listens to our show, and wanted to show their appreciation for our sidescrollin' love!
    edited October 2014
    Perfect! I am indeed a PS Plus Member, thanks for the reminder!

It seems the Backtracks mysterious powers continue onto another episode. It's all a bit creepy to say the least.

Next episode talk about Chrono Trigger 2... who knows maybe we'll get lucky.

PSS. I have been playing through your old Final Fantasy Episodes during work as I start up an "RPG Trek" of my own trying to get through some of the Final Fantasy's of my youth.
    The FFVII Episode (14) with Glenn is priceless.. that guy is hilarious to say the least, and if I'm not mistaken where the infamous "Amperstamp!" originated from.
    The FFVIII Episode (19) has a star cast and is also a lot of fun to listen through (unlike the game itself.. I gave it the old college try.. but after 2 hours of "draw"ing and then accidentally getting a gameover while drawing Siren [due to a zombified state of grinding] I said thanks, but no-thanks and induced amnesia instead).

Figured I'd throw that in there cause I feel like typing and this feels productive!

~C=

edited October 2014
    Awesome, Suik! You made me smile with all those memories.

It would be cool if we got them to make a new CT game!

My brother was asking me what series I would Trek after Dragon Quest. I told him that I leaned heavily towards doing the entire Final Fantasy Series in a row... but, since FF games are generally good (and easier than most RPGs), I might do something a bit tougher between it and Dragon Quest...maybe Ultima or Might & Magic. We'll see!
    edited October 2014
    I have been browsing over your Dragon Quest RPG Trek, and would love to join in the conversation but I haven't played a single Dragon Quest game. It's kind of sad considering I have beaten Actraiser (and own a boxed mint condition copy) multiple times, have a soft spot for Enix as a corporation, and I enjoy the artwork of Akira Toriyama (as one of the many children who waited 3 weeks for Goku to charge up enough to go Super Saiyan vs. Freeza [although I prefer the Dragonball Series more then the rest]).
    I suppose I'm worried I'm going to be disappointed as I hold the Dragon Quest Series as this untouched/un-spoiled franchise that I have yet to experience. Jeremy Parish from Retronauts is a great journalist (and one of my favorite video game writers [Host of the now dead Original Retronauts Podcast]) who also adores the Franchise. As a result of all this I hold this series as a Holy Grail that is yet untouched... Guess I just have to jump into it one of these days when I'm brave enough (any suggestions on a starting point?)...

Anyways before this digresses into a tangential post about my loves... I wanted to say if you do an Ultima RPG Trek I will definitely join you guys in the conversation! I would indeed consider you a brave soul for taking that series on. It's great but definitely has aged and has the wrinkles to prove it! However, it is a classic that inspired Hironobu Sakaguchi himself, and for that and many other reasons I respect it!

edited October 2014
    Well, you're welcome to join my brother and I on our Dragon Quest Trek whenever you'd like. While we're currently on Dragon Quest IV, you can join in whenever and wherever. It's quite informal. We completed 1-3...and I have a full journal of most of those games, as well as reviews, on my blog...this link will show you just the Dragon Quest posts I've done. I also have an RPGTrek thread you can join. Last, but most certainly not least, you can add me as a skype friend (jcservant7). Sometimes on Fri and Saturday nights, I call up whatever friends are on, and we talk about Dragon Quest and whatever other games we're playing at the time. The fact 2 or three of us are playing the same Dragon Quest game, though, makes the convo a bit more fun IMHO.

As far as where to jump in...well, the first three were a bit tough for me, especially since I abhor using FAQs, and the earlier games require them unless you have copious amounts of free time to talk to every NPC three times as you try to figure out some archaic clues. And if you're considering playing the NES or GBC versions (rather than the translated SNES rom remakes), you're in for a rougher experience (Not quite as bad as FF 2 and 3 on NES...but close). However, I enjoyed playing the SNES versions of them to have a better understanding of the series...and with a FAQ, they aren't terribly time consuming. I just finished IV, and IMHO, it is the best thus far. A tighter, well balanced experience from beginning to end that I could get through without a guide in hand. I loved it and had a hard time putting it down. I can't wait to move onto V and beyond. Long story short, based on what I know thus far, I would advise jumping into the second trilogy found on the DS and go from there.

Like you, I kinda held off on this for a while for a variety of reasons...but, hey, I'm not getting any younger! And tomorrow is promised to no man...mwhahahah!
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    edited October 2014
    I wish Guardian Heroes were on Steam or PS Network... I sold my Saturn and don't want to buy a Microsoft console.

I didn't hear Phil say much about DQ3's postgame content, such as it was...

I believe only the Game Boy Color remake has the bonus dungeon (it's made of recycled textures from elsewhere in the game), bonus boss #1 (big ol' dragon), and bonus super-boss (an even bigger dragon... I think).

The DQ3 remake was the first numerical DQ to have bonus postgame content. It also started the DQ tradition where, if the player takes too many turns to win the bonus boss fight, then the bonus boss tells the player, "That was boring. If you can't defeat me in X turns, you're still a loser." (To which I replied, "BS, I still beat you and I don't want to grind another 10 hours. It's time for my next RPG.")

The crazed part was that in order to even access the second half of the bonus dungeon and the second, ulta-hard bonus boss, the player had to not only beat bonus boss #1 in a set number of turns, but also collect every(?) monster medal in the game. Monster medals dropped off of monsters... rarely. VERY rarely. Grind, grind, and grind some more for your extra bonus content! Hey, you could trade monster medals with a friend if you had a link cable!

Yeah, I didn't do any of that. Not in DQ3, anyway.
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    edited October 2014
    Well I can say that I did play the original Dragon Warrior 3 on the NES, as far as I remember, I was not stuck anywhere in that game.
    So I start to look into my old manual and I found that everything is in the manual and the big map that come with it, with all items, spells and monsters on the back of it. So it was a strategy guide that come by default with the game, it got every dungeon map, suggested level and all secret available right from the start... so I guess they did know it was hard to find all without it.
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
    edited October 2014
    So it tells you exactly where all six orbs are at? Yeah, they may have thrown in a Nintendo Power like walkthrough strategy guide because it was "too hard for Americans' LOL (kind of the mentality for Americans playing Japanese games at the time), or, at possibly, to sweeten the pot to get more ppl to buy. I find it hard to believe that the standard instructions listed it all out. My GBC instructions didn't.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited October 2014
    Yeah, the original DW3 NES manual did have an extensive (all considered) walkthough in it. If you are interested in checking it out, there is a PDF version hosted at http://www.woodus.com/den/games/dw3nes/ (right bar, top PDF manual)

They also have the Japanese manual there, but I have no idea if it has the guide or not. (right bar, bottom PDF manual)

I think this was mostly before the days when they realized you could create a guide and sell them separately. I'm pretty sure DW4 has a separate guide you could buy, but that's the oldest game I know of that had its own guide.
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    edited October 2014
    JCServant wrote: »
    So it tells you exactly where all six orbs are at?

Yeah at the end of the manual there was a Q&A with all of them and every solution to all puzzles
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
    edited October 2014
    Interesting! Well, I still enjoy DQIV more since I didn't have to stop to look things up. Though, admittedly, III was a lot better than II in that regard :)

Lots of great comments for us to read on the next show!