If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Freedom Wars - Resources for Reykjavik

Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/ReviewerRPGamer Staff
edited November 2014 in Staff Review Blogs
Hello all,

I got to start up Freedom Wars last night and one thing that jumped out at me was that it seemed like the prime sort of game for a Staff Review Blog. So here we are :)

I will be trying to update every few days or so with the exploits of Severin Mira as he looks to reduce his one-million-year sentence by working for the Greater Good of the Reykjavik Panopticon. I'm not sure how story heavy it is at this stage - initial impression is that it's quite similar to Gods Eater Burst on that front, so we may have to decide to limit certain things based on spoilers but the first update at least will be rather screenshot heavy. First entry will be coming later today.

Entries

10/28 #1: This Seems Harsh...
10/31 #2: Here Be Robot Dragons
11/03 #3: Everybody Loves Percy
11/07 #4: I Don't Miss You, I Miss the Monitoring
11/11 #5: Bloody Space Fleas
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2014
    ** This post has been banned by the Reykjavik Panopticon as being contrary to the Greater Good. Readers will have their sentences extended **

I'm not quite sure what happened. Actually, that's not quite true. I'm very sure that I got smashed by a giant robot. Well, that's what this random girl I saw while I was knocked out seemed to suggest anyway, a suggestion my apparent allies backed up. The problem is that apparently this has caused me to forget everything that happened before that. But hey, at least I'm alive and appear to fine physically so I should be able to get by without too much trouble... oh.

So it turns out I'm a prisoner of the Reykjavik Panopticon, one of fifty enclosed cities where the remnants of the human population live. Earth's resources are now so scarce that anyone seen wasteful to society gets no rights, like at all. These structures must be rather impressive to behold. Not that I've actually seen it yet, of course. Upon my return I got dumped into this crummy little room, apparently my new home. I decided to take a look around and...this seems unfair.

You may have noticed that person standing in the front the door. That's actually an Accessory, they are used by the Panopticon to keep an eye on you at all times, although at least when they follow you on missions they actually get involved with the fighting, so that's something I guess. I figured I'd try to engage her in conversation and...I think I'm beginning to see the pattern here. At least I got the opportunity to change out of that bland prisoner suit. You can almost feel the liberty.

Anyway, I went on a few training missions. It turns out that these are one of the primary ways for me to reduce my sentence. There's also a bunch of resources to be scrounged from the enemy robot things I fight in addition to lying around the various mission locations, and I can turn in some of these to help reduce my sentence as well. After a few of these I finally got to venture out into the world, where I met a couple of fellow "sinners". Our missions are usually to rescue idiots who have got themselves here somehow. Apparently these people are of vital importance to Reykjavik, with their technical skills used to help the "Greater Good", whatever that is (although apparently they lack the common sense to not get captured by giant robots, surely that should be punished more than just walking in my room). We managed to rescue a few of these through good old fashioned force, and carried the citizens to the special rescue tubes.

During the mission Mattias decided to try and keep some more of the loot to himself than he was allowed. Unfortunately, it seems the Panopticon has eyes everywhere and someone was waiting for him. She doesn't sound too nice.

After my first missions I was feeling a little tired. My Accessory suggested a rest, which sounded like a good plan. I laid down on the bed and...of course. I did at least get some rest in the rather awkward permitted position and I got paid another mysterious visit, I wonder what that could all mean and who this person she's referring to might be. Who the hell she is as well might be a useful thing to know. Perhaps I'm going crazy, wouldn't surprise me here.

Eventually I got the chance to take a special exam that would raise me from a CODE 1 "sinner" to a CODE 2. Apparently this allows me to get some more rights back, and even venture outside of my cell. Needless to say, this mission was a success, and I got a promotion. Afterwards I got a rather short visitor, it turned out he was the guy I rescued in my exam (I guess no one told him he was just used to train rookies). He told me that the citizens I rescued would be willing to use their know-how to build and upgrade things for me, which sounds handy. I've got them building me a gatling gun.

I decided to see what new things I could do as a CODE 2, one of which was access some news channel. It wasn't all that handy though, being all the same story to start off with and not a very interesting one. I did get some new threads at least. Then it was time to wander outside my cell. Naturally, during my wandering I thought it'd be a good idea to chat to some of my fellow prisoners and try to get a better grip of my surroundings, and well, yes. I guess I'll need go on more missions to get some rights. Mattias and I are going to check out some place called the Warren next, wonder what it is.

Years left: 998,715

Author note - maybe less images next time :P (I didn't even post half the ones I took)
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2014
    I love it when a game lets you take your own screenshots :) The citation screens really did it for me, lol. At the least, keep those going as you continue the narration.
    edited October 2014
    I love it when a game lets you take your own screenshots :) The citation screens really did it for me, lol. At the least, keep those going as you continue the narration.

Easily one of my favourite Vita and PS4 features (already helped fill out our screenshots pages for a few titles). Having an excuse to post as many of those as I can is one of the primary motivations for the blog :) Feel free to ask any gameplay-related questions, initial impression is that it's one of the most polished Vita titles this year. Having a good amount of fun in the early parts so far.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited October 2014
    Then you'd love the Vita, because it's a system level feature that very few games block (Monster Monpiece & Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified).
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2014
    I wish the 3DS incorporated it into more games. I had a blast photographing everything I could in Metal Max 4 last year.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2014
    Fantasy Life allows it! Too bad you didn't much like Fantasy Life.

As for this game... Reckless Loss of Memory, I love it.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
    edited October 2014
    So Mattias took me into the Warren, an area of such luxury that it gets sunlight. There's a couple of item stores around here, even one that provides tasty ice cream! Before we had the chance to explore further, we met another really short citizen (it seems like they all are tiny for some reason), and had go teach another Panopticon to say away from our resource areas.

That didn't cause too much trouble and afterwards we got to meet some other fellow sinners. I also decided to chat to some of the other people and officials around the place, but it turned out that truthfully admitting to someone I hadn't memorised all 3,143,982 Articles of the People's Charter was a bad thing. But anyway, Uwe and everyone decided to throw me and Mattias a party for our promotions and to help raise camaraderie between us. Unfortunately, in my excitement to get there I managed to do a couple of other bad things. The party was a decent time though, I must admit that one thing that Reykjavik Panopticon does provide is some pretty sweet tunes.

Although we're handling it well it turns out that some people...aren't so much. Turns out that there are few resource nodes around the area, that we can use to get some crafting equipment. So I went up up to one a picked up...nothing? Although it's still actually a thing, and argh my head hurts.

Anyway, some time later Mattias had gotten wind of some rumours about a ghost girl in the area known as the Cell Gardens. Turns out we're not supposed to go to the alleged place of this haunting. However, the rumours kept coming and we just had to find out what was going on, and eventually we managed to sneak past the guards. Unfortuantely, when we got to an area where some girl was being held we set off an alarm and were unduly found and punished. We got a bit a chewing out from that "9" woman, who demanded if I knew what I was caught doing. I tried to explain that I wasn't entirely sure, that was apparently the incorrect answer.

But hey, Severin Mira is not one to let people be stuck in isolation without good reason. And certainly not one to spend time finding out if there is a good reason first. So eventually we, and with some help from our citizen-friend Julien we managed to bypass the alarm system and rescue the girl. Hooray! The hooray didn't last too long though, as this was followed up immediately by a motion-blurred robot dragon invasion! I really hope this is a coincidence...

Apparently, this is something called a Retribution, where the Panopticon comes under a ferocious attack by the Abductors from a place called On High. They always capture a bunch of citizens when they come, and these things supposedly aren't all that rare. What a wonderful world this is. Anyway, we decided that instead of charging out, it'd be smarter to stay bunkered down and protect the actual intelligent people who went indoors from winged robot tigers instead.

Anyway, it turns out the girl we rescued is called Beatrice, and she's actually from this place called On High, but disagrees with the methods of robot dragon invasions and came down to find her father who shared that opinion. Alas, she got captured immediately and was stuck until we came along. Our friend Julien was able to use the chaos to get her registered as a sinner like us, so we shouldn't run into any problems with the authorities when they see her. We're currently doing a bit of investigation about her father, and about an event called the Great Loss, where three million people in another Panopticon died.

Oh, it seems Mattias has just heard that another mysterious girl, so investigating we shall go. I think this guy's a little desperate.

CODE Level: 3
    Years left: 990,065

(Will probably start editing out more of the plot stuff more going forward - most of this so far seems to be expanding the premise, but it's doing it well, slowly feeding more info and keeping things interesting. Really enjoying the game so far!)
    edited November 2014
    This message has been edited by the Reykjavik Panopticon for the Greater Good. Attempting to determine where edits have been made will result in a sentence extension.

We've run into a few new fellow sinners that accompany our excursions for the Greater Good. Carlos is still a jackass, though. We also ran into the other mysterious girl that Mattias went on his weird hunt for, unsurprisingly she was not three metres tall, but did still kick some ***. Mattias did his usual complete failure at getting her to talk, but I knew what would get her to open up a bit. Turns out her name is Sylvia, but she was only around for a short time before disappearing again. Speaking of the ice cream, I managed to find a few coupons that were lying around so I got to try out a couple of new flavours, tasty!

We've been having a lot of issues with other Panopticons trying to invade and claim our valuable resources, but the Reykjavik Panopticon shall not bow down to such aggression. We love our Panopticon and Percy Propa, although some take it a little far...

It seems my early opinions about Ms. Woo were not entirely accurate. Even if she is strict, she's willing to trust us with important new types of mission, and even joins us in defense of the Greater Good. We have faith that she'll lead us to victory.

Beatrice is settling in well at least, I think she's excited to get to see some of the machinery up close. It's always great to see people so excited and knowledgeable about the tools used for the Greater Good, and she will be a valuable resource.

Some might say our weaponry can be a bit crude, but our great Panopticon knows the Greater Good requires what is effective. There's a great choice to have in our loadouts, ready for whatever situation arises, even flamethrowers. Plus we aren't short on hi-tech weaponry for when the need arises. I hope soon to have contributed enough to add this amazing sword to my armoury soon.

On the personal advancement front, the Panopticon has been kind enough to grace me with CODE level 5, which gives some really luxurious rights, I must say. It also meant an upgraded cell and block for me and my Accessory. Unfortunately, despite my new found "luxury" dwellings the attacks from other Panopticons continue, and it seems I have been called upon to make a very tough choice...

CODE Level: 5
    Years Left: 964,265

Some reviewer comments

Just putting some comments on how I've been liking the game so far. I'm one of the weird people who likes games along the lines of Gods Eater Burst and Toukiden but has absolutely no interest in the Monster Hunter series, because I like to buy able to buy into an interest story and premise. This is very much in the vein of Gods Eater Burst (unsurprising considering Shift had a hefty hand in the development), and I'm really enjoying it. If you liked GEB this should definitely do the job, it's even better as far as I'm concerned (at least partly because of not needing The Claw to control properly). One minor thing is that it's a shame that it's JP voice only because there's some comments from the characters during missions that I keep forgetting to look out for. It's generally fluff stuff and is subtitled, but often I'm busy focusing on the giant enemy robot and it'd be nice to hear the story-based ones. There's a few minor things here and there, but it's quite clearly my favourite review game of the year so far.

Also while that years left counter doesn't go down particularly fast, it has steadily been increasing with each level. I imagine story completion does not hinge on that being reduced to zero anyway. There is a requirement to reduce it past a certain point to get to the next CODe and advance the story, but as you can see it's a pretty light requirement and not once have I had to repeat a mission so far. Sadly it seems that opportunities for more ridiculous sentence extensions are drying up, but they did a fun job of setting the stituation early (the rest of the game and story has picked up nicely enough to make them largely unnecessary now anyway).
    edited November 2014
    This will probably be the penultimate blog post, as I believe I'm getting pretty close to completing the story. If anyone has any specific questions about that game that I may not cover in the review now would be a good time to ask. My intention is to have it finished early next week, with a review very shortly after (I've already put the majority of work into it).

** This post has been banned by the Reykjavik Panopticon as being contrary to the Greater Good. Readers will have their sentences extended **

Despite my recent CODE promotions, things aren't all peachy in Reykjavik, with accusations of a spy leaking information to our rivals starting to divide us. Unfortunately, our attempts to placate those who were suspicious and keep morale up were rather undermined by the authorities. But it seems that despite Natalia's heavy-handed treatment, she has grown to trust us in combat, even recruiting us for an important mission she herself was involved in.

Alas, one of the missions following did not go so well and my Accessory ended up captured! I returned to my cell to be met with a temporary spare one instead, which is just so inferior and boring. The Panopticon said I could wait until it got the chance to retrieve her, or I could go out on a special rescue mission myself, which actually turned out very useful for crafting items too. Of course, I wasn't going to leave her trapped in that bastard Abductor, and we got her out.

Anyway, the upshot is I've now got a cool Abductor-cutting knife, and the partnership is back in business. You forget how much you grow accustomed to them and how they are always there to...oh, that's right.

The Panopticon also offered some extra missions to help contrbiute to the Greater Good and grant me more contribution points to spend on entitlements. A couple of these turned out to be a bit difficult for my regular companions, so I enlisted the help from other sinners elsewhere, like Moscow and Toronto. It was great teaming up with the other elite sinners, and it gave me things that would really come in handy in ensuring future success on important missions.

Anyway, I eventually got the chance for another potential CODE increase. That's not very funny Percy. You are most definitely not huggable; I'd punch you if you were an actual thing, and if it wouldn't likely add about 3,000 years to my sentence.

Unfortunately, it seems the spy issue is still very much ongoing, and Natalia has been asking awkward questions about when I found Beatrice. Of course I couldn't say anything to protect her, even if keeping quiet was a little costly. Things have certainly gotten hectic here (i.e. all the story stuff that would be spoilerific), although it seems Natalia is impressed by my combat abilities and at her insistence I have been pushed up into CODE level 7. I think it's likely that our conflict with Houraia will come a head soon.

CODE Level: 7
    Years Left: 931,373
    edited November 2014
    ** The Reykjavik Panopticon refuses to confirm or deny the existence of Space Fleas **

Well, as predicted things certainly went crazy, although the powers that be in Reykjavik have forbidden from talking about the exact events. Needless to say the final Space Flea from Nowhere, was a tough battle. Fortunately, I counted on some friendly faces from the New York Panopticon to get through and the threat was vanquished. Our work is far from done though, and there are plenty of greater challenges and battles that lie ahead if I am to continue contributing towards my sentence. At least I am now much better equipped for them as the result of some nice gifts.

Things have quietened down within the Panopticon at least, although there's still plenty of questions left to be answered. Perhaps they will answered another time. All we can do now is continue to work for the Greater Good, and defend the Panopticon against our foes.

CODE Level: 8
    Years Left: 890,423

---

Reviewer comment

OK, there wasn't exactly too much more to get through after that, though I spent quite a bit of time before the final story battles just upgrading weapons and such. Online mode definitely helped with the last one. Review should be coming in the next day or so :)