If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

"Is Final Fantasy as a turn-based game over?" FFXV director says no

JormungandJormungand MemberFull Members
edited January 2015 in Square Enix
It's not that we're tired of making that kind of game at all. It really depends on the team in charge of the individual games. If the team just wanted to make a turn-based style game, they'd be welcome to. I wouldn't want to make a turn-based game, though.
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-11/13/final-fantasy-interview

Comments

• JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2014
    Hmm...It wasn't asked if they were 'tired' of it. ROFL. Answer the question! LOL. And how can they be tired of it when they haven't done one in nearly a decade? LOL. And, hey, I get tired of doing accounting sometimes, but I do it because it's my job and it pays decent. At the end of the day, S/E is a business, and they go where the money is at. Obviously, they feel the money is in actiony games with some RPG crunch in it, rather than the traditional approach.

As we say in the south, it is what it is.
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited November 2014
    Fair enough. Nobody should make a game he wouldn't want to play himself.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited November 2014
    JCServant wrote: »
    At the end of the day, S/E is a business, and they go where the money is at. Obviously, they feel the money is in actiony games with some RPG crunch in it, rather than the traditional approach.

As we say in the south, it is what it is.
    Pretty much. What he is saying is no doubt correct: there will be more turn-based Final Fantasy games... for mobiles, handhelds, and probably some low-budget console releases with a similar scope to Type-0 HD. But the only way FFXVI would be turn-based is if Square Enix stopped development of AAA games entirely.
  • wolfpyroswolfpyros New Member Full Members
    edited November 2014
    I'd love to see a AAA game that was classic turn based battle system along the lines of the great FF PSone Trilogy VII-IX. Boy howdy that would be somethin.
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    edited January 2015
    We should always expect something new from the FF battle systems. From the looks of it the battles of FF15 seem like they're going to be an intense and spectacular affair.

It might be true that we won't see another strictly turn-based FF mothership title though. Turn-based games have a much narrower audience and since FF needs to be a triple A title, it can be hard to make it pay. My prediction is we'll keep seeing battle systems with a mix of elements from both the RPG and the action genre.
    Currently playing:
    Owlboy | Wolfenstein: The New Order | Dungeon Keeper
  • scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactics Ogre, I choose u! Full Members
    I'm thinking after FF15 launches SE will be done with consoles anyway. I don't think it's going to be the "masterpiece" they hope it will be, and with the current trends in Japan toward handhelds, I would say they will pretty much leave the console market.

So perhaps we will see more turn-based after all on handheld type systems.
    Check out my writing and art by following this link to my work: www.stevenmouland.com
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    Two words for you. "Bravely Default" :D Mwhahahaha. I do know how you feel. I prefer turn based combat over more action oriented RPGs. However, it does seem to be the way S-E keeps pushing with the main FF franchise. I'm hoping they don't leave the console market, however. Having a S-E/FF presence on consoles is better than no presence at all. With that said, I, personally, will not run out and buying those games at full price as I did with FF games in the past. And, if the games are good, I will eventually pick them up. However, I will certainly be purchasing Bravely Second :)
  • andikakiapandikakiap Full Members
    i hope they'll make another turn based rpg again....oh how i missed a really good turn based rpg....
  • He Who LurksHe Who Lurks AWESOME! Full Members
    I shudder to think of what they're going to do to mess up FF7 remake's combat.
    I'm He Who Lurks, and I'm AWESOME!
  • SpartakusSpartakus One Knight Stand Full Members
    I've more or less decided to judge that remake on its own terms, rather than based on how much it resembles the original. I can totally see that it'd be an uninspiring job for creative people to just make an exact graphical update of something already made.
    Currently playing:
    Owlboy | Wolfenstein: The New Order | Dungeon Keeper
  • jenova_jebjenova_jeb Full Members
    I would love to see the FFVII remake be simply graphics and some modern conveniences. I can understand why they will likely not do that. I guess, though, that we can always play the original.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    SE started Studio Tokyo RPG Factory to produce more classically-styled games.
  • SweetieAsheSweetieAshe qt = π RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2016
    Yeah, Project Setsuna is definitely shaping up to be a decent callback to at least games like Chrono Trigger. AAA development is in a bit of a crisis lately as is though, what with ballooning budgets and dev times, plus a player base that's hungry for both new original content and content that's like what they grew up with at the same time. It gets difficult to balance bringing in new blood into the market and pleasing the old guard. Tbf, I think this is what FFXV's staff has been running up against the most - they're trying to bring in the nostalgia of the old Final Fantasies with references and such while still trying to make it accessible to a newer, younger audience with the way the combat system works (I can assume both versions of it, since they've said they're making two different control schemes for the battle system). The FFVII remake is following a similar pattern.

That being said, the last I heard, and this is a few years ago, Ito (the guy who directed/wrote Ivalice) was working on what was then FFXV and is now FFXVI, but Square's been pretty mum about anything else regarding the status of that. If it ends up anything like FFXII, that's more like the ATB systems of VI-IX/XII.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy Explorers (3DS), The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (PC), Atelier Rorona ~The Alchemist of Arland~ (PS3)
    "I blame myself for underestimating the beast that is sex appeal..." - Agnes Oblige
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    I wish FF would look at Persona 5's battle sys.
    Long live turn-based!!!