If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPG Backtrack - Episode 133: It Wasn't Always an Oxymoron

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
edited December 2014 in Latest Updates
While Final Fantasy spawns a lot of heated talk, relatively little of it is devoted to the earliest entries. The NES era spawned the series, but going back to that trio with a more modern mindset isn't the smoothest of rides.
Clonks to the head are optional while listening.
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• sirsniffysirsniffy Member Full Members
    edited December 2014
    To this day, I have never listened to a single full episode of RPG Backtrack, Lol! Not sure why, but it always just cuts off at the beginning. I thought it was my media player, but it happens on any PC that I use. The intros are great/funny in any case.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited December 2014
    I really wanted to do a Final Fantasy vision quest, similar to the one Phil did with Dragon Quest. I bought FF2 PSP for three bucks and set out to knock it out. I had heard bad things - a lot of them - and wanted to give the game a fair shake.

What I saw were systems that were still broken, nonsensical character deaths, and the first RPG I ever played where HEALING ITEMS *ampersand*ing MISS. I defy you to find another game where an item can MISS.

Edit: Dragon Quest, darnit.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Hands off the parfait! Administrators
    edited December 2014
    Not healing items, but healing staves in Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (the last FE on the Super Famicom) can miss depending on the unit's skill stat. That mechanic, like many things in Thracia 776, never saw a return in later games.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2014
    sirsniffy wrote: »
    To this day, I have never listened to a single full episode of RPG Backtrack, Lol! Not sure why, but it always just cuts off at the beginning. I thought it was my media player, but it happens on any PC that I use. The intros are great/funny in any case.
    This is most odd. Not to minimize your frustration at all, but I've not had a complaint from anyone else on it... and everything looks ok from my end (The file looks complete, and I can hear the beginning and the end with no issues). I'll try playing the last podcast's MP3, in its entirety, from beginning to end, at work....but all indicators show that the file looks OK.

Anyone else having issues?
    Shaymin wrote:
    I really wanted to do a Final Fantasy vision quest, similar to the one Phil did with Master Quest. I bought FF2 PSP for three bucks and set out to knock it out. I had heard bad things - a lot of them - and wanted to give the game a fair shake.

What I saw were systems that were still broken, nonsensical character deaths, and the first RPG I ever played where HEALING ITEMS *ampersand*ing MISS. I defy you to find another game where an item can MISS.

I hear ya...my brother and I might do Final Fantasy soonish after this one. But, yeah, you know...one can feel the pain when playing through some of the really old and/or bad games. That's why I allow for a game to 'beat me.' This happened in SMT: Strange Journey. For the most part, I hung with the game through some pretty rough patches. However, that final boss KO'd my team in a few rounds. I broke down and read a FAQ. Turns out, the grinding and item hunting I needed to do in order to have a decent change would require a dozen MORE hours than I had already put in. The gameplay, while fun, did not justify that kind of time investment from me (in addition to what I had already put in), so, in my mind, my hero died there, and the world suffered a fate most foul at the hand of mega-demon. The game won :)

I know on another thread that one of our gamers mentioned playing every game to completion, as a few of the ones he stuck with turned out better than the early part of the game lead on. While I believe that is possible, I have seen it precious few times, myself. Because of my limited time, I just don't find it worth it to was hundreds of hours in games that start bad to find the few that end well (God bless our reviewers). I can see FF2 and 3 falling in that category. When/if we do a FF Trek, I suspect I will not complete them...but I will put the time in until that point where the game has utterly frustrated me and FAQs cannot provide a decently fast solution.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • silktailsilktail mild peril Full Members
    edited December 2014
    Shaymin wrote: »
    and the first RPG I ever played where HEALING ITEMS *ampersand*ing MISS. I defy you to find another game where an item can MISS.
    Is this is the original FF2 we are talking about (rather than the misnamed FF4)?
    If so, could you give an example of this problem, because I don't remember any items missing their target.

Although admittedly I haven't tried the PSP version so maybe it's a new feature. I mostly remember having to equip potions on the character who will drink it, in the original.
    (Maybe I should also listen to the backtrack before commenting too!)
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited December 2014
    I used a Maiden's Kiss on Maria in FF2 PSP while she was under Frog and it literally said "miss".
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    edited December 2014
    I listen to RPG Backtrack on my PC and haven't had any problems playing episodes all the way to the end. Not even the infamous 4-5 hour backtracks.

Phil, you were just joking when you said DQ6 might beat you, right? It's not an 80-150+ hour slog like DQ7, I promise. For example, DQ6's final storyline dungeon is one of the shortest I've ever seen in any JRPG.

In DQ6, as long as at least one party is a Luminary (also known as Superstar) and learns Hustle, you should be fine. In PS1 DQ7 this class is called Teen Idol, but the same applies - if a party member (Gabo is the most recommended) has this class and Hustle, you're good to go.

In DQ6, only certain classes are acceptable prerequisites for the hero to learn the Hero class, which is annoying because you're not told in-game which ones. I started my hero as a Paladin and later found out that, apparently, Paladins are not very Heroic.

Continuing the DQ tradition, the DQ6 postgame optional boss will tell you that you didn't really beat him unless you finish him in 20 rounds. In my experience, beating him in 20 rounds required an entire party of level 50+ heroes who had all mastered the secret Dragon class (except for the hero, who had the Hero class), including a Dragon-class slime with the Omniheal spell.

The reward for beating the DQ6 postgame boss in 20 turns is an alternate ending. It's not *drastically* different from the game's normal ending, but it's worth watching on YouTube if you don't want to put in hours of grinding.