If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Mailbaggery - Active Topical Banter

Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News EditorRPGamer Staff
edited January 2015 in Latest Updates
We open up the old mailbag for some listener-submitted topics in rapid-fire succession. Then we get judgemental about each other. It's a Festivus miracle!

Listen
Archive
Subscribe
iTunes

Talking Points:
-Forum questions
-Twitter questions
-Sam questions
-Why 'we' 'care' about remakes of a PS1 RPG

Next Time: Shooter-RPG hybrids.

Comments

• smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited January 2015
    Interesting conversation, thanks for all the great points of view on the grab bag of topics.

I'd love to join the conversation about the black sheep game we'd reject, but for the most part its mostly Final Fantasy and I agree it's not really worth the conversation.
  • BalanceBalance Member Full Members
    edited January 2015
    I really enjoyed listening, I was ill with some sort of cold, though and I fell into a present nap >.<.
    I enjoyed the spontanaiety and varied subjects.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    edited January 2015
    So... South Park Stick of Truth stood out from the 2014 RPG lineup for multiple people.

I've kept my distance from it partly because of its high price tag, but mostly because I assumed it was filled with poop/fart/vomit/blood/bodily fluid jokes, and other disgusting/offensive content, like the show it's based on. Didn't the game gross you out at all? Do you only recommend it to players who don't get queasy easily?
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2015
    Victar wrote: »
    So... South Park Stick of Truth stood out from the 2014 RPG lineup for multiple people.

I've kept my distance from it partly because of its high price tag, but mostly because I assumed it was filled with poop/fart/vomit/blood/bodily fluid jokes, and other disgusting/offensive content, like the show it's based on. Didn't the game gross you out at all? Do you only recommend it to players who don't get queasy easily?

The game is designed to push every boundary of good taste possible. If you are offended by anything at all, don't play it.
    God's Final Message to His creation, written in thirty-foot high letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains:
    We Apologize for the Inconvenience
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2015
    I do wish South Park did less scatalogical humor, since I love their political/social stuff but not so much the "lol poop" stuff. It was rather cheap during the Steam sale, so the hubby and I are now playing it and having fun. If you don't like the show, though, don't play the game.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2015
    I agree with Scott...oftentimes, we allow smaller, lesser things (such as twitter chat and fartin' around on social sites) to get in the way of what's really important...playing games!
    ----
    As far as the impressiveness of MMOs, I agree with Mac. I like the idea of "Playing alone, together!" I like to do a lot of solo content, with integrated chat with friends and strangers... and the ability to jump in to dungeons / contents with friends/PUGs. As far as Diablo III... I, personally, still find the game fun. Finding powerful artifacts that change my powers or give new abilities excites me. Recently, they've added timed Rifts (which are randomized dungeons) where you can push your character to see how far they can go. That gives additional incentive, for me. It's not for everyone, thought.

Going to the question I sent about series...and when does something 'jump the shark,' in a manner of speaking (and, therefore, may not be part of the series). I agree that, technically, the creator(s) determine that, and it cannot be argued. Sure. But, we, as players, can certainly decide if an entry is truly a successor in a series, or has 'jumped the shark,' at least in our minds. Scott's fallout 3 is a great example. Sure, it's a great game. But, to me, I see Fallout 3 & New Vegas as a 'series' separate from Fallout 1 and 2. Why does this matter? Well, I like to have all the games in series that I like...even if some of the games lack quality... Dragon Quest, Heroes of Might & Magic, etc... I can point to some weak entries in those series, but I have them all because their gameplay is similar, and I'm a collector. But, when games jump into completely different genres, then, it no longer feels like part of the series...and I evaluate it on its own merits before deciding a purchase.

This is, of course, completely subjective. Again, from an objective viewpoint, one can only shrug his shoulders and say "The creator put the number at the end, it's part of the series." And, technically, the name / property doesn't belong to us, the gamer, so you're right there. I do not imply otherwise.... nor do I imply any sense of entitlement. :) But, I do have the right to be upset when a series I love, "jumps the shark" and developers tack games of entirely different genres to the same series to make a buck by broadening the appeal of these new game to an old audience who fell in love with the series as it were.

Conversely...I don't have an issue with Metroid: Other M, which Mac brought up. See, to me, I'm OK with that one...because it's a differently sub-titled game... like Final Fantasy Tactics... or Persona Arena. It's clearly labeled as something different, so there's no chance that I'm just going to pre-order it as 'part of a series I love,' presuming I'll get a similar experience. I just get cranky when they make something totally different, and try to number it in the same series. Evil! Again, I think this is a different answer for everyone, and I just wanted to hear YOUR personal thoughts on the matter rather than be a leading question about Final Fantasy, which was implied in the cast.
    There's such a thing as an RPG that's too short? I don't think I've ever seen that!
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    edited January 2015
    Guarding for the Xbox 360 is an RPG that's too short. Perhaps a better word for it is "unfinished". It's 5-10 minutes long and the story doesn't have time to go anywhere. The game is overpriced at $1.