If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPG Backtrack - Episode 134: Lost in the Mist

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
edited January 2015 in Latest Updates
Mistwalker supplied the Xbox 360 with some unique content, and a title involving immortals seeking the return of their memories got considerable praise. Discussion of Lost Odyssey is the centerpiece of this episode, but plenty of other subjects make it into the mix too.
A smorgasbord of new year content!
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• VictarVictar Member Full Members
    edited January 2015
    I remember Lost Odyssey. It has a gigantic difficulty spike on the very first boss, a gryphon. Due to the soft level cap, and the player's limited skills at that early point, that gryphon is meaner than almost anything else in the game. After the gryphon, the game's difficulty is much more reasonable.

Not only do you have playable 10(?) year old children, at one point the party is divided and the 10-year-old boy withstands front-line damage better than anyone else in his half of the group. Apparently 10-year-old boys are made of tougher stuff than 1000-year-old immortal queens. Go figure.

Lost Odyssey felt very much like Final Fantasy 9 to me, only with fancier graphics and voice acting. The combat was solidly turn-based, not a hybrid like FF12 or FF13. Some boss fights had the occasional gimmick but the battle/leveling system as a whole was straightforward, not bizarrely unique like FF8. The story was a sweeping, mostly character-driven epic. I say "mostly" because Kaim himself didn't have much personality outside of the short stories.

One of the short stories, "white flowers", said that Kaim had dozens of wives and hundreds of children over the course of his lifetime. Given that Kaim has only been around for 1000 years, a little division suggests that either Kaim is polygamous, or many of his wives died young, or (more likely) the story's author is bad at math.

Obsessive completionists should think twice before attempting Lost Odyssey. There is an achievement for collecting every single item in the game. I used a strategy guide as I played, trying to get them all. No achievement. I backtracked through every area in the game, double-checking every lootable item. No achievement. As much as I enjoyed Lost Odyssey, I decided not to replay it for a chance at 20 achievement points.

There was DLC for Lost Odyssey, but it was pretty bare-bones - just a single, boring dungeon with a Kelolon (LO's version of the Dragon Quest slime) boss at the end who would evade almost everything you could do. I don't know if it's possible to get this DLC anymore, but it's not really worth it anyway.

I would recommend Lost Odyssey to anyone who enjoys turn-based Final Fantasy-style games (if they have access to an Xbox 360, of course).

Were you guys talking about the 3DS Grinsia port? That game used to crash endlessly, but they've finally patched it. I'm halfway through the game, and it is currently running crash-free. It is also an incredibly generic RPG and I'm not sure I want to bother buying any more of these from Kemco.

It is definitely possible to speed up the battle messages on Dragon Quest 7 for the PSX, and anyone who plays it ought to do so if they want to keep their sanity. I loved DQ7 back in the day, but I absolutely will not play it again, ever, and I can't blame Phil for wanting to skip it. (But Phil, please don't give up on DQ6.)
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2015
    Hehehe...I hear ya Victar. I haven't given up on six, yet. The two main DQ charms are there, in full force, even if I have to go through a bit of frustration to get to them. And, I'm a sucker for class systems. :)
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!