If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The "No New Games in 2015" Self-Challenge

2»

Comments

• PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    Well, I finished the first part of the story in Hyrule Warriors; my choices now are to start the bad guy branch, or the...other bad guy branch I suppose...

FFTA2 also arrived in the mail thanks to a generous friend, and I've been playing a whole lot of that. I'm about 20 hours in, with characters between 20 and 27. 65 or quests completed, and I'm off to repair the air dome.

Chris picked up Type-0 so that we could have impressions of the FFXV and it for the podcast, but after watching him play the first hour or so, he thinks it may be more of my type of game than his. We'll see, I may fit it in somewhere this year!
    It's been a couple weeks since I checked in...and not buying anything is going to get a lot harder this month. That being said, looking at how much I /didn't/ spend and the amount of fun I'm having with non-ending games and replays, I'd be happy quitting today (though I'm not planning to).

Much as I've been really digging into FFTA2 over the last few weeks, it's probably time to wrap it up and move to another game. I didn't plan on going for a perfect run, but I'd like to try to complete around 200 quests before I mail it back.
    Still mulling over what to try next, feel free to make suggestions -- https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11jk4XLwl15XT-a592RAz-CEvYJmoQTW8sbXOHL1CCfM/edit?usp=sharing

• JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: Kirin Administrators
    Whatever happened with Agarest? It doesn't look like you finished it... meaning you're not among the self-selected cadre of people out there who swear it's AWESOME.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    Paws wrote: »
    Still mulling over what to try next, feel free to make suggestions -- https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11jk4XLwl15XT-a592RAz-CEvYJmoQTW8sbXOHL1CCfM/edit?usp=sharing
    The good (from left to right): Theatrythm, FF13, Graces F, TTYD, Epic Yarn, Mario 3D World, Treasure Tracker, Wind Waker HD, FF7.
    Not sure if you've played FF5 or FF6 before.
    The bad: Ar Nosurge. It's a poorly designed game and not worthy of your time.

Epic Yarn and Treasure Tracker should both be fast to clear. Mario 3D World and even FF7 should be fairly fast to clear also.
    JuMeSyn wrote: »
    Whatever happened with Agarest? It doesn't look like you finished it... meaning you're not among the self-selected cadre of people out there who swear it's AWESOME.

I was playing it when I needed to be at my computer so I could respond to stuff quickly but had large chunks of downtime and no idea when that may happen, which is why I was playing it. I'll get back to it, possibly this month!

Now that I've completed FFTA2 I'm sort of bouncing between a few games -- Rumble World, Akiba's Trip, and Codename S.T.E.A.M., all of which I'm sort of both liking and not liking.

Rumble World is good, but it's getting pretty repetitive as I don't have the diamonds to buy new balloons and I've farmed nearly everything I can from my current set. Frustratingly, I'm actually missing some common types because I keep getting Fever when I don't want it; I wish there was a way to turn it down.

S.T.E.A.M. as I've complained elsewhere is all over the place in terms of map difficulty (and introducing characters without subweapons is annoyingly frustrating). It's really dampening my enjoyment. Kind of makes me wish there was an easy mode.

Akiba is...interesting. It's nowhere near as salacious as some sites make it out to be, and the combat system is really fun. The pacing is a little helter-skelter (especially if you wanna do side missions. I DON'T CARE IF THE CAKE IS SQUISHED EAT IT ANYWWAYS) and I wandered around for ages when I first started not realizing I'd turned off map markers inadvertently. The story's pretty goofy, but I like it enough to keep going.

So I mentioned this on the podcast but thought it might be an interesting discussion point here as well. So far I guesstimate I've spent about 100-150 on games so far this year. If I look at what games I would have normally purchased new/full price, were I not working through my backlog I could have easily accrued 500 or more of games this year. Was interesting to try to math that out.
    So, Sony started their Golden Week sale today, which is always our downfall. We spent under 100$ and got 8 games, two of which were specifically for me (Citizens of Earth and Tears to Tiara II). I'm weak.
  • SeraphimKittenSeraphimKitten President of Soft Paws Full Members
    Oh Paws, do you need an accountability partner? My last video game purchase was Reaper of Souls. I feel qualified. If you're having trouble with your current game sobriety, phone a friend!
  • PhilFancypantsPhilFancypants New Member Full Members
    a little late but this is a great idea! do you think Akiba's trip is worth $25? i'm considering picking it up on the golden week sale for ps4.
    Yeah, I think so; the reason we picked it up last year was because we got it cheap -- right around that price. It's very light, so don't go into it expecting a serious game. It's also got a lot of potential replay value, as there seems to be a harem/pick a girl for your ending aspect (and you can restart your play-through at any time by visiting the train station, while retaining some portion of your progress -- not something I've heavily explored as I really only plan to play once at this time)
    Oh Paws, do you need an accountability partner? My last video game purchase was Reaper of Souls. I feel qualified. If you're having trouble with your current game sobriety, phone a friend!

I might by the time E3 rolls around, haha. Mostly it's keeping Chris from buying games for me when they're on sale...so maybe he needs the accountability buddy! ;)

• PhilFancypantsPhilFancypants New Member Full Members
    Paws wrote: »
    Yeah, I think so; the reason we picked it up last year was because we got it cheap -- right around that price. It's very light, so don't go into it expecting a serious game. It's also got a lot of potential replay value, as there seems to be a harem/pick a girl for your ending aspect (and you can restart your play-through at any time by visiting the train station, while retaining some portion of your progress -- not something I've heavily explored as I really only plan to play once at this time)

I decided not to get the game and instead i'm going to try finish what i have. I don't have a huge backlog but enough to last me the year. As of now there really isn't any day one purchase games being released for the rest of the year, so hopefully it will stay that way. Thanks Anna for sharing your great idea and progress along the way, hopefully you can continue to get through your backlog!

Well, Danganronpa left me very confused...and hopeful. So I guess I'll be moving on to the second game immediately. I've finished ten games so far this year, but I've played closer to 30, so I'm definitely appreciating the larger spread of titles. I'm going to try to knock out Dangan 2 before the 22nd, as we'll be picking up at least one copy of P&D 3DS.
    Also enjoying hogging the Vita, as Chris broke down and started to play Disgaea 4 on the Vita TV and it's fun watching him play :D

Hmm, Disgaea 4. One is Laharl's "Mwa-ha-ha-ha-has." Two is Addell's "That's just what I do" attitude. Three is... Mao's superhero and daddy issues? Four must be Valvatorez and the sardines. I think my favorite part of that game is the backstory episode DLC. The vita version comes with all of the DLC, doesn't it?
    Chris confirms that the DLC is included. He also shouted SARDINES at me.
    Sare really liked Disgaea 2, but that's because she was doing something fun while I was playing. As the person actually having to play Disgaea 2, I much prefer Disgaea 4 (or D2). Is Mr. Paws (we'll call him Chris) going to do all of the tactics games done by Nippon? I had trouble with the really old ones like La Pucelle Tactics, just because of how dated they felt compared to the new features. Too bad America didn't get the Ragnarok remake of that one =( Did any of our British RPGamers give that one a try?
    So I'm finding it harder to qualify what's "new" than I had originally thought. For example, I've been playing Heroes of the Storm (technically not new, as I received my key last year) but I spent money on it this year (5 bucks, big spender!) I also started Final Fantasy Record Keeper, but haven't spent money on it (I may eventually). Will have to think about how to qualify/quantify that sort of gameplay for a possible 2016 challenge!
    Somehow managed to forget it was our wedding anniversary until someone from church reminded us, so we immediately dashed over to Best Buy to grab each other gifts, because we're nerds like that. Came home with Destiny, Omega Quintet, Devil Survivor 2, Splatoon, and a clutch of Skylanders. Go go 20% off everything club!
    Ut oh, were any of those new games?
    They were ALL new games! Also, Chris is like throwing all sorts of Otome crap at me during the Steam Sale. Help, I'm drowning in romantic possibilities :(