If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPG Backtrack - Episode 135: Dramatis Persona

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
edited January 2015 in Latest Updates
The second Persona is a duo of titles with an unusual release history, and detailing it is an arduous undertaking. The Backtrack crew proved willing to take on this task, and the result is a fascinating listen.
Watch out for one particular guy in a trench coat.
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited January 2015
    Is the backtrack RSS feed broken for anyone else? It looks like its empty now.
    http://rpgamer.com/backtrack/rss.xml

edit- looks like its been fixed. I'm already 3 episodes behind but I'm looking forward to listening to these episodes
  • sirsniffysirsniffy Member Full Members
    edited January 2015
    Mine isn't 'broken', I just can never listen to full episodes...they just stop and I have to keep starting the podcast again. Then it stops again. I have never heard a complete RPG Backtrack episode to this day, lol. I think it has to do with the process of converting them for online listening. Something about the recording speed, or maybe a plugin issue. It happens on every single browser I use on any PC. So strange!

My next step is to maybe download the dreaded iTunes...really don't want that junky software on my PC, but it may be the only way I can listen to the Backtrack.
    edited January 2015
    sirsniffy wrote: »
    Mine isn't 'broken', I just can never listen to full episodes...they just stop and I have to keep starting the podcast again. Then it stops again. I have never heard a complete RPG Backtrack episode to this day, lol. I think it has to do with the process of converting them for online listening. Something about the recording speed, or maybe a plugin issue. It happens on every single browser I use on any PC. So strange!

My next step is to maybe download the dreaded iTunes...really don't want that junky software on my PC, but it may be the only way I can listen to the Backtrack.

The feed was fixed late in the day yesterday.

Do you have a smartphone of any variety (assuming if you do, you have an Android if you don't have itunes)? I'd highly recommend getting specific podcasting apps for your phone, or look into some for your computer. I've only ever done it through my phone, other than the early days when I manually downloaded the mp3s, but I'm sure you can find a good method of listening on your PC without touching itunes. Many of the apps can be set with automated checking for new episodes, construct playlists for you, and lots of other nifty features. I personally use BeyondPod on Android, though I'm not sure if I can recommend the newest version, the previous was much more intuitive to use.
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2015
    I'll listen to this one from beginning to end, and report. I'm using VLC media player, myself, on my work computer, which is an older Win XP machine. I like that VLC allows easy adjustment of speed and whatnot, so I can tear through our marathon discussion in under three hours :P . And it keeps my windows media player playlist free of podcast entries and whatnot.

Update: I was able to listen to the latest one from beginning to end. I like the music in that game!
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    edited January 2015
    Excellent podcast. It made me want to dig the Persona 2 games out of my backlog and give them a try. I listend to it on my computer, all the way through, without any problems.

On a tangential note, I played the PSX version of the original Persona and later bought its PSP remake with the soundtrack CD. What stood out the most is that the remake's soundtrack is TERRIBLE compared to the original's. If it's possible to listen to the original soundtrack when playing the remake, I strongly recommend doing so.

I would have liked more commentary on the Ni No Kuni battle system, but I guess I'll have to re-read the review.

I heartily recommend Unchained Blades to anyone who enjoys Wizardry clones. Its difficulty level is high but not ridiculous, and the follower system allows for a lot of customization, since the followers' qualities (called "anima" in the game) determine what spells the characters can cast. It's biggest drawback is that finding certain rare monsters or completing certain sidequests virtually requires a FAQ.

Phil, you asked for a fox-woman tank. In the second chapter of Unchained Blades, you have a party of three women, and the fox-woman is the best tank of the three! She's a decent front-line character for the rest of the game. Only the golem prince and maybe the dragon prince outclass her, defensively.

I sincerely hope the sequel to Unchained Blades is localized someday. It doesn't seem likely, though.
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2015
    Allright! Fox woman tank FTW! Oh, and thanks for the feedback :) I'm pretty sold on Unchained Blades now, as well. I'm going to see if I can find

I'm sure we'll do a full show on Ni No Kuni, at some point, where we will discuss that battle system in more detail. Just not sure when. Mike lines these things up months in advance.
  • sirsniffysirsniffy Member Full Members
    edited January 2015
    smacd wrote: »
    The feed was fixed late in the day yesterday.

Do you have a smartphone of any variety (assuming if you do, you have an Android if you don't have itunes)? I'd highly recommend getting specific podcasting apps for your phone, or look into some for your computer. I've only ever done it through my phone, other than the early days when I manually downloaded the mp3s, but I'm sure you can find a good method of listening on your PC without touching itunes. Many of the apps can be set with automated checking for new episodes, construct playlists for you, and lots of other nifty features. I personally use BeyondPod on Android, though I'm not sure if I can recommend the newest version, the previous was much more intuitive to use.

Thanks for the suggestions! This is such a bizarre issue, as I don't have any trouble listening to the regular RPG cast. I can get the feed, but it just won't play through to the end. I will try to find some of the apps you suggested. I listen usually via PC, but I may try to do it on my Android.
    edited January 2015
    JCServant wrote: »
    Allright! Fox woman tank FTW! Oh, and thanks for the feedback :) I'm pretty sold on Unchained Blades now, as well. I'm going to see if I can find

Unchained Blades is on the 3DS, digital only from the eShop.

Its decent, though given I haven't played a real dungeon crawler other than it in a good 20 years, so I don't have much to compare it to yet. One thing to know about it, is that it does have a chapter system similar to DQ4, but unlike DQ4 its a real put off when you change chapters and end up with a new team, probably because the first two chapters are like 10 hours long each, rather than DQ4 where the first 4 chapters are only maybe 12-15 hours. A lot of people get to chapter 2 and just drop the game. The chapters really aren't as compelling or well structured as DQ4... then again the plot wasn't much to write home about either. The game also has some serious difficulty spikes. I found the game a solid meh, but might do it for other people.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2015
    Yeah, I made it further than many people with Unchained Blades, but I lost patience with having to level up a new party every chapter. The dungeon crawling part ain't bad, though.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • NekobasuNekobasu RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2015
    Victar wrote: »
    I heartily recommend Unchained Blades to anyone who enjoys Wizardry clones. Its difficulty level is high but not ridiculous, and the follower system allows for a lot of customization, since the followers' qualities (called "anima" in the game) determine what spells the characters can cast. It's biggest drawback is that finding certain rare monsters or completing certain sidequests virtually requires a FAQ.

Good call on the followers influencing what spells could be cast. I knew I was forgetting something when I was talking about the customization. That and the sphere grid.
    Ocelot wrote: »
    Yeah, I made it further than many people with Unchained Blades, but I lost patience with having to level up a new party every chapter. The dungeon crawling part ain't bad, though.

It's small consolation, but different parties eventually merge. Like smacd says, it's like DQ4. Then you can get to ignoring all the characters you don't like!
    JCServant wrote: »
    I'm sure we'll do a full show on Ni No Kuni, at some point, where we will discuss that battle system in more detail. Just not sure when. Mike lines these things up months in advance.

I want to hear Sam talk about Ni no Kuni for three hours.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2015
    So I totes just beat this gaaaaaame. The ending was actually worth it! I just wish I had beaten it before we had done the show. Ah well!
    edited January 2015
    Now that I'm listening to the last 3 episodes-

133:
    The original FFs on the NES always felt like also-rans to me. They played second fiddle to DQ, and while they pushed forward the genre, they felt like they were DQ clones always trying to play catch up rather than really innovating. Like Phil, I remember finding out about 2,3&5 in the mid 90s and tracking down translation patches and experiencing them for myself, and I did really enjoy them. FF2 and FF5 also are big arguments against why FF7 is so "great" in the death of a main character, since both of those games had already done it before.

There was a mention of the recent mobile releases, I've only played FF2 so far, and while it would be the definitive version (I find touch controls completely fine)- the android version suffers from some serious crash bugs that really hold it back. There is one dungeon in particular that I crashed a dozen some times, and even closing the game required purposely crashing it (which is easy enough by using a guarantee crash- pressing the Back button on your device..). Overall of the first three games, I think 3 is the best, and I actually kinda like 2. I've never been much of a fan of the original. I don't believe the other games or the iOS version of FF2 shares the same issues though.

134:
    I remember being really impressed by Lost Odyssey. Of all of the JRPGs of the last generation that I've already played, that one is the one I'd want to replay the most. I'm also stoked about the Baldur's Gate games on linux, which I realize is a comment made in jest, but I do actually game in Linux (well, I play in a linux virtual machine on my windows 7 work laptop occasionally...). I've been considering loading up BG:EE as a game to play at work while I have some time to kill. But I'm thinking it might be a bad idea, because it doesn't seem like a short-spurt pick up and play type game for someone who never played the original Bioware D&D games.

135:
    Ahh, suffering through the mechanics to get to the story. Reminds me of... pretty much all JRPGs for me. Overall though, I'm actually kind of excited for playing the earlier Persona games soon. I have a feeling that they will appeal to me far more than 3 and 4 will. Though the mechanics sound unappealing.