If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 333: "BACON"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
edited January 2015 in Latest Updates
RPGCast - Episode 333: "BACON

On this morning's podcast we have BACON! Er...excuse me. I mean to say that we learn about Nintend-BACON! Ok, fine, let's get this out of the way. There was bacon present while we recorded. We ate bacon, lots of bacon, and then we were happy. Also, games.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/333

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "BACON
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390
179811.png

Comments

• ChaosDroneChaosDrone New Member Full Members
    edited January 2015
    Great episode! Quick comment though, Anna's statement at 35min about protecting copyrights is incorrect. There is nothing written in US copyright law that states a company has to pursue a copyright infringement case in order to preserve their copyright. Think about it, if that were the case, Nintendo would have lost their rights to Pokemon long, long ago. There are hundreds of Pokemon fan games with large player communities.
  • LegendaryZoltanLegendaryZoltan Releaser of Heavy Metal Full Members
    edited January 2015
    Thanks for playing my segment! People can watch the video here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WAG-x4Ae6Vg

Anna: "Who's the Legend of Zelda guy?"
    Chris: "Link."

That was golden!

Oh, man. Today's show was really fun. Chris and Anna are a great pair of podcast hosts. I did miss Phil though. That guy is a very welcome addition.
  • bobbywatsonbobbywatson Random guy Full Members
    edited January 2015
    Not-so-long-time listener, first time commenter.

Anyway, to answer the question of the week regarding which RPG I would like to see this year, my pie-in-the-sky, impossible wish is for a remake of Panzer Dragoon Saga. I would love to be able to play that game without having to pay insane eBay prices (not to mention buying a working Saturn), suffer eye-piercing, blurry polygons on my TV or have to resort to piracy to play something that comes highly recommended by the guests on an old episode of RPG Backtrack.

Anyway, great episode, it was fun to listen to while I was stuck working on a Sunday morning!
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2015
    ChaosDrone wrote: »
    Great episode! Quick comment though, Anna's statement at 35min about protecting copyrights is incorrect. There is nothing written in US copyright law that states a company has to pursue a copyright infringement case in order to preserve their copyright. Think about it, if that were the case, Nintendo would have lost their rights to Pokemon long, long ago. There are hundreds of Pokemon fan games with large player communities.

My understanding of American copyright law is admittedly shaky, but what I've been told is that free use of those items (even in distribution) doesn't disrupt your copyright protection, but letting people sell things you have copyright /may/ disrupt it (it's not commonly challenged in court since most cases are settled long before they're even "cases"). I know of quite a few fan games, but they're all free, and most won't even accept donations.
  • PowerlordPowerlord Spy, gentlemen! Full Members
    edited January 2015
    In the US, trademarks do require constant enforcement. Copyrights not so much.
    edited January 2015
    AHA. I have a bad habit of using those terms interchangeably, even though I know they aren't...
  • AzilisAzilis Member Full Members
    edited January 2015
    The game I'd most like to see made is Anachronox 2, and it'll never happen. Anachronox had so much story left to tell after the credits rolled. Still one of my all-time favorite games.

Fortunately, the game next on my list is Pillars of Eternity.

One other thing, I think from last week's podcast. Anna has mentioned a couple of times that original Devil Survivor 2 was a 3DS game. She might have played it on the 3DS, but it was most definitely released for the original DS. Devil Survivor 2 was to Devil Survivor 1 what Persona 4 was to Persona 3 . . . a quick follow-up on the same system using basically the same template and released very late in the system's lifecycle. I think the 3DS was already out when Devil Survivor 2 was released.
    edited January 2015
    I definitely did play it on 3DS -- probably why it's planted so firmly in my mind. Thank you :)
  • daveyddaveyd Turn-based lifeform PAFull Members
    edited January 2015
    Well, I'm obviously excited for Shadowrun: Hong Kong, which is supposed to be released by the end of this year. And I hope for many more Shadowrun CRPGs from HBS in the future.

But the game I'd most like to see is a sequel to or remake of Aracanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. This game had an absolutely amazing setting and atmosphere, and a really great character creation system. And it was a good attempt at a open world RPG. However, the game has a abysmal combat system (you can choose between real-time or turn-based, but they both suck), major balance issues between the different skills, spells, etc., uninspired dungeon design, and pretty awful graphics (even for it's time). Unfortunately, an official reboot seems unlikely as Activision apparently owns the license and I don't see them doing anything with a cult classic CRPG from 2001... But I hope that someday, someone tries to make a spiritual successor. If they pursued crowd-funding I think it would do alright on Kickstarter.

Other unlikely games I'd really love to see made:

Shining Force IV

Growlanser VII

Sequel to Return to Krondor

Star Wars: KOTOR 3

Neverwinter Nights 3 (
    or any game based on D&D 3.5 rules that ships with a toolset).

Another Dark Sun. Or Al-Quadim CRPG*

*Any CRPG set in a world that isn't post-apocalyptic or fantasy world based on medieval Europe would pique my interest.
    Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

• SeraphimKittenSeraphimKitten President of Soft Paws Full Members
    edited January 2015
    Ever since Mr. Cooper left RPGamer to begin a competing website, he has referred to RPGamer as "Cat Fancy" - a reference to the website's celebrity, Anna "Paws" Privitere. Having been referred to as Cat Fancy for years now, what are your feelings about the actual Cat Fancy's rebranding into "Catster" and their emphasis on whimsy and silly articles? Are there any plans to rebrand RPGamer to "RPGster" and rely on memes and pictures of adorable video game characters to bring in new readers?
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited January 2015
    The RPG I would most like to see come out this year (or heck, even within the next two years) is a Baten Kaitos sequel, if I may be a broken record. Put it on the Wii U or 3DS and I will be the happiest person alive. The biggest thing to happen to this series since 2006 is having one song in the newest Super Smash Bros. :P

For something more likely, but as still unannounced: Bravely Second.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2015
    Ever since Mr. Cooper left RPGamer to begin a competing website, he has referred to RPGamer as "Cat Fancy" - a reference to the website's celebrity, Anna "Paws" Privitere. Having been referred to as Cat Fancy for years now, what are your feelings about the actual Cat Fancy's rebranding into "Catster" and their emphasis on whimsy and silly articles? Are there any plans to rebrand RPGamer to "RPGster" and rely on memes and pictures of adorable video game characters to bring in new readers?

We totally did this for April Fool's last year, complete with a doge-inspired set of "Frossy" memes starring Jack Frost.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited January 2015
    Now that Xenoblade and Zelda are pretty much locked into 2015, the one I want to make sure comes out is Persona 5. I'm still not confident it'll happen.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2015
    Azilis wrote: »
    The game I'd most like to see made is Anachronox 2, and it'll never happen. Anachronox had so much story left to tell after the credits rolled. Still one of my all-time favorite games.

God yes, this needed to happen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.